Start by marking “Sass, Smarts, and Stilettos: How Italian Women Make the Ordinary, Extraordinary” as Want to Read:
Sass, Smarts, and Stilettos: How Italian Women Make the Ordinary, Extraordinary

Sass, Smarts, and Stilettos: How Italian Women Make the Ordinary, Extraordinary

How do Italian women turn the ordinary into extraordinary? Why do their lives seem less complicated, but more complete and alluring?

Discover what's behind this seductive ethos of effortless chic, and how to live an extraordinary and stylish life, 'all' italiana'.

Sass, Smarts, and Stilettos is not just a celebration of Italian women, but of all women; of their innate abilit
Published October 16th 2017 by Su Misura Journeys

To ask other readers questions about Sass, Smarts, and Stilettos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sass, Smarts, and Stilettos

Start your review of Sass, Smarts, and Stilettos: How Italian Women Make the Ordinary, Extraordinary
Zosia
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Ktoś zupełnie upadł na głowę, jeśli chodzi o marketing tej książki, bo byłam pewna, że to jakiś głupawy poradnik, a to zbiorek esejów i opowieści o Włoszech, włoskich tradycjach, modzie, zwyczajach. Trochę to wszystko za chaotyczne, ale całkiem miła lektura.
LAWonder10
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Join in this delightful journey, while Gabriela Constantine reminisces about her Italian heritage, travel, adjustments and insights she gained from small child through adulthood.

Although Italy has endured conquering and much of the country was destroyed during both World War 1 and World War ll, Italy has determinedly rebuilt and found "its own voice" in the world of art, fashion, and cuisine. The people there are strong and resilient.

Gabriela's family moved and traveled a lot. She was very clos
Cheryl
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I did enjoy reading this book and about Gabriella's life growing up Italian. There seems to be more "life" infused in growing up Italian than American. Each chapter is brief but focuses on a different topic like: Always Stop for Wonder, Food, the Talisman of Happiness, Turning Sauce into Sass, How to Live and Work like an Italian, Secrets of an Italian Woman's Skin.

There is humor to be found within the pages of this book. Although, I would call this book more of a guide. It helps to celebrate w
Bloodorange
„Włoszki” kupiłam z nadzieją, że okażą się podobne do jedynej książki z kategorii „w czym kobiety z innych krajów są od nas lepsze”, którą lubię, czyli „Bądź paryżanką, gdziekolwiek jesteś” – napisanej lekko, z dystansem do siebie i humorem przez trzy inteligentne Francuzki. I prawie, prawie się udało.

„Włoszki” nie są dramatycznie wymagające – to lektura w sam raz na urlop czy parę spokojnych dni, kiedy chciałybyśmy podnieść się na duchu, poszukać motywacji lub pomysłów na to, jak żyć inaczej, t
Lu Worley
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Join in this delightful journey, while Gabriela Contestabile reminisces about her Italian heritage, travel, adjustments and insights she gained from small child through adulthood.

Gabriela's family moved and traveled a lot. She was very clo
_cwirka
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5/5 🌟
Lektura dość przyjemna, ale bardzo powolna. Napisana w rozleniwiony sposób. Tak naprawdę jest to opowieść autorki o jej matce, przeprowadzkach, istotnych włoszkach i podróżach do Włoch w jej życiu. Z całością kłóci mi się typowo poradnikowa końcówka. Cała ta historia traci przez to na spójności.
Książka z pewnością nie zapadnie mi w pamięć, chociaż piękny opis matki autorki jako kobiety zrobił na mnie wrażenie. Niestety chyba tylko ona była dla mnie warta uwagi w całej tej pozycji.
Kim
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s a love affair for slow living, Italian style. A bit scattered at times, but it doesn’t matter so much. A joy to read.
Marilyn Wilson
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I already had a copy of Gabriella Contestabile's first book, when I heard she was working on a new one. I couldn't wait to see what she would come up with next. Unfortunately, I hate to wait a lot longer than I hoped for as she polished this book to her high standards. No worries. I made sure I was first in line to order a copy on launch day and couldn't wait for it to arrive.

When I first heard the title would be Sass, Smarts and Stilettos, I made the assumption that it would be a fashion book c
Carla
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is a wonderful book of the power, confidence, leadership and intelligence of women. While the title is about Italian women and focuses on this culture, women of all cultures can relate to this book through similar experiences.

I was moved by this story as I thought of my family and the women who came before me. My family is from Venice and I still remember when I was sixteen and landed for the first time in Italy and how in awe I was. The buildings, the relationships, the food, the fashion a
Stephanie Ward
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour, travel
Sass, Smarts & Stilettos offers a glimpse into the wonderful way that Italians live -- from past to present day, from famous to familiar, from rural Italy to Canada and New York. It's a little bit of everything -- historical fashion (yes, you read that right), self-help/advice, travelogue and memoir. I loved it on every level.

The history and stories about designers and fashions from Italy were eye-opening. I had no idea how well-respected, sometimes controversial but always forward-thinking Ita
Debra Schoenberger
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This little book is a delightful combination of memoir, fashion history and practical advice about how to live your life to the fullest and most stylish.  I loved every little chapter - each beginning with a catchy quote.  This book will gently motivate you to be a better you - happier and more fulfilled.

Here are a few of the tidbits  from the book that I love: (both from the book and cited quotes)

It's not about the label.  It's about the art.
Don't over-purchase.  When you have less, what you
Jessica
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a very inspiring and beautiful book to read

I enjoyed reading this book. It is not only beautiful but very inspiring to book. It gives you more insights about a strong woman who not only loves passion but also enjoyed life to the fullest in different countries and still enjoy being herself.

There are some words are hard to read but the glossary on the back helps me to comprehend. I love how Italian has big family and family oriented. I can relate that to my Filipino heritage. This book is
Cheryl Benton
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gabriella Contestabile has written the most beautiful love story to Italian women who know how to make the ordinary, extraordinary. And she should know, since she is one of those women, and was raised by an extraordinary mother and inspired by many other stylish, smart, sassy Italian women who make the Italian lifestyle, “La Dolce Vita.” Gabriella who was born in Italy, then moved to Canada and then New York, where she has resided for many years, takes the reader on a beautiful journey of the It ...more
Lenoire
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The novel is a mixture of advice, fashion history along with stories of the author's life. The author mentioned stories about her family and life experiences while sharing nuggets of advice about not letting age become a prison. She mentions facts about the Italian lifestyle and how it shaped her into who she became. I did enjoy the tidbits of the advice of buying things of quality, traveling more, and to live simply. However, when the author went into detail about historic fashion events it got ...more
Mirella Panek
Aug 30, 2018

• Powrót z Bambuko
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Fly by Night
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • Feet of Clay (Discworld, #19; City Watch, #3)
  • The Days of Abandonment
  • Iluzjonista (Gerard Edling, #2)
  • 27 śmierci Toby'ego Obeda
  • How to Give Up Plastic: A Guide to Changing the World, One Plastic Bottle at a Time
  • The Style Strategy: A Less-Is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart
  • If I Never Met You
  • Dygot
  • Kordian. Część pierwsza trylogii. Spisek koronacyjny
  • Kwestia ceny (Zofia Lorentz, #2)
  • Nela i Artur. Koncert intymny Rubinsteinów
  • The Virgin Way: Everything I Know About Leadership
  • Matki i córki
Gabriella Contestabile is an author, educator, and owner of SU MISURA JOURNEYS, a boutique travel company connecting people to the artisans of Florence. She emigrated, with her parents, from Italy to New York City in 1959. In her pre-writer life, she worked as a foreign language teacher, management development specialist, and fragrance/cosmetics executive. Gabriella is a strong advocate of the art ...more

News & Interviews