Start by marking “You Are Mighty: A Guide to Changing the World” as Want to Read:
You Are Mighty: A Guide to Changing the World

You Are Mighty: A Guide to Changing the World

Published May 15th 2018 by Bloomsbury Children's Books (first published March 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about You Are Mighty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Mighty

Start your review of You Are Mighty: A Guide to Changing the World
Donna
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Informative text about social problems, change, advocacy and action. Good mix of historical and contemporary examples of how to affect change at a local and global level. Obviously an American publication - would be interested in reading something with Australian examples too.
Aud
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Does what it sets out to do. It’s very readable, and breaks a big topic into manageable steps that even kids can follow (if so driven). It respects its intended audience throughout. Short, with a writing style that is entertaining but never flippant.

I don’t see it as a problem personally, but it is worth noting that the author is clearly a liberal who definitely dislikes Trump. I’m mentioning it, because I think it’s worth mentioning when a book has a very clear and obvious bias (even if it’s
Mary
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
As a librarian, I’ve had kids and parents ask for this book club and now I have a great book to offer. Not just practical methods of activism, but also includes how to respectfully be an ally, tips on privilege and intersectionality, and reading list. Aimed at 8-12 year olds.
Kadie Hayward Mullins
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner

As an educator, I am always thrilled to find books that work well as an instructional tool and are well-designed by folks who understand the reflective process as a means to promote self-discovery and engagement. As a developer of leaders, it is rare to find something so simple but so powerful in a concise, compelling, and genuinely fun book. As a parent, this book gives me hope for the future of children like mine who want to make changes in their communities.

You Are
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
You Are Mighty: A Guide to Changing the World by Caroline Paul, illustrated by Lauren Tamaki, 113 pages. NON-FICTION. Bloomsbury Children’s Books, 2018. $18.

Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: PG; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS, HS - ESSENTIAL.

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

This book seamlessly combines information on activism, examples of activism, and advice for activism in one place with black and red illustrations throughout. This book is organized around 19 steps for getting involved that
Savannah Webster
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a mom, teacher, and child advocate… I know that children have amazing outlooks on life and love to have their words heard- either in play or being serious. When it comes to large matters that affect other people often times they have been shut out. With easier access to information and being able to connect with other children around the globe – times have changed. Kids have realized they have more voice now than ever and they can make a difference. This book takes a look at different ways ...more
Ampersand Inc.
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dani-s-reads
I chose it as my rep pick so I thought it was probably worth reading! This is a super cute manifesto for young activists (I’d say a precocious eight-year old would be the youngest potential audience) full of William Blake-style illustrations by Jillian Tamaki. Most of the content is relevant for kids all over the world (Find a cause that means something to you! Take action! Be aware of your privilege! Be a good ally!) but there is some American-centric content about how to reach out to your ...more
Lauren- The Smile Lines
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
@kidlitexchange #partner
You Are Mighty - A Guide To Changing The World by @carolinembpaul
What are you passionate about? This book is filled with ways kids can change the world. There are steps laid out and ideas to use in order to make these changes happen. Along with the steps there is a ‘workbook’ section to give kids a chance to think things through. The book includes stories of children who have made a big difference by following many of these steps.
I recommend this book in middle grade
Amanda
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Paul, Caroline. Illustrated by Lauren Tamaki. You Are Mighty: A Guide to Changing the World. NewYork, Bloomsbury, 2018.
Intended for middle-grade readers, this how-to book could easily help young adults and adults navigate the how-to of leading social change. Real-life examples give each act of activism life and provide accessible ideas to many children. While the focus on disability could have been more prominent, this book is a solid introduction for how to initiate change in local communities
Kasey Giard
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's practical and energizing. Each chapter focuses on simple, practical ways to change the world from writing letters to organizing a march to making lifestyle changes. I liked that it included stories of other young activists who've made a difference in the world, too. This is a great book for middle or late elementary school kids and for families to read together. It definitely made me want to change the world with my kids.
Keeley
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This guide is so very, very well done and age appropriate. If you have a young activist in your life, or maybe you yourself aren't sure where to begin, pick up this book! Each step to becoming an activist is clearly explained and made complete with a relevant story of a real life, young activist. At the end of each section are questions to help you find your cause and apply what you've learned.
Arminzerella
For kids who are interested in learning about they can do to effect change in the world, from learning more about issues, to protesting and educating others, this is a helpful guide for new/young activists. It includes profiles of other young activists and shares stories about their contributions and causes. An important resource that will help young people in their quest to make a difference.
Jocelyn
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you know a kid who is upset by something in the world, this book can teach them how to get involved and make lasting important change. This teaches the reader how to be resilient and proactive in a very manageable way.
Ms. Mester
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solidly elementary/middle, but good actionable tips on myriad ways kids can and have gotten socially involved. Glad it deals with intersectionality and privilege and how to be an ally without always being the loudest organizing voice/center of the action.
Naomi Sakae
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Has good information on how to make a change.
Melissa Flanagin
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-reader
What a great book for young readers to read and be inspired!!!!
Emily
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must-buy for every kid to change the world and make it a better place!
Adriel
I love a book that encourages youth activists. This one is bright, positive, and full of great ideas and inspiration.
Allison Stanfield
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It really teaches us the meaning and dedication of taking action and the results that come after. THANK YOU MS. EDWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laura Myers
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is superb and takes a modern look at ways for tweens/teens to get involved. To be fair, I found value in it from an adult’s perspective, too. It’s simple, straightforward and genuine. A staple for classroom’s bookshelves.
Sarah Davis

• The Okay Witch
  • Escape from Syria
  • A Good Kind of Trouble
  • Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness
  • Be the Change!: Creative tips on how to #BeTheChange you want to see in the world
  • Confessions of a Bookseller
  • White Bird
  • More to the Story
  • Flying Lessons & Other Stories
  • Sweeping Up the Heart
  • The Benefits of Being an Octopus
  • Stargazing
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
  • Unladylike: A Field Guide to Smashing the Patriarchy and Claiming Your Space
  • Right as Rain
  • We Wish You Luck
  • Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse
Caroline Paul is an American writer of fiction and nonfiction. Trained as a journalist and documentary filmmaker at Stanford University, she instead pursued a career as a firefighter, as one of the first women hired by the San Francisco Fire department. She worked most of her career on Rescue 2, where she and her crew were responsible for search and rescue in fires. Rescue 2 members were also ...more