Start by marking “The Visual MBA” as Want to Read:
The Visual MBA

The Visual MBA

One of Kickstarter's top sellers, raising over 1,000% and selling in 34 countries around the world. Over two years of his MBA program, Jason Barron took sketchnotes that anyone can understand. Whether you’ve never been to business school, already attended, or are in a program currently, he created this book with you in mind. Each chapter is an individual class packed with ...more
Published 2017 by Self

To ask other readers questions about The Visual MBA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Visual MBA

Start your review of The Visual MBA
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
I'm not persuaded that this oversimplification / visual approach is the best there is. Anyway, DNF-ing this one pretty early.

Plus: Nice graphics.
Minus: I sort of don't see the point of learning common sense things.
Ishan Korde
This book is probably best suited for those who have already done a MBA course and want to use this as a reference material. For everyone else, this book offers little to no value in my opinion. While the sketch-notes are pretty, the book does not go into the details for any of the business concepts. While I obviously was not expecting this to be a substitute for an MBA course, I did not expect to be reading a glorified table of contents.
Melody Warnick
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gleaned some useful info, but there's a reason MBAs take two years and not a few hours. ...more
Fred Forbes
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Packed is the word! Distilled to the essence is the result. Quick read due to the diagrams and illustrated notes.

As an MBA holder, I must admit he covers the topics fairly well, but as in many things, the devil is in the details. And frankly, doing the assignments is what really leads to a level of comfort and understanding so no book of notes will ever replace that.

Still, a useful guide for those who wish to "hold their own" in basic business discussions but who have no desire to get bogged dow
roxi Net
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book -- as I try to get motivated to get my master's degree (preferably in Library Science), I've been debating on MBA. Just the thought of going back to school makes me tear my hair out. Why can't there be more books like The Visual MBA where we can read, take a test, and be done with it all? It's a great resource (I just wish it came with a degree). ...more
Sara
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The book is clearly not a replacement for an MBA program, but it is a good refresher on common frameworks and topics. Having earned an MBA from a top program, I prefer some of the models specific to my professors, and I got more in-depth and useful critical thinking structures from my classes, but many of the basic "must know" items are covered decently here (e.g., Porter's Five forces, Steve Blank's entrepreneurship process, 4 Ps of marketing). What's missing is application, examples, and the s ...more
Rahul H
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book, surely not detailed, but the illustrations are brilliant, at times teaching more than business, teaching about life. Surely a good starter for any MBA aspirant.
Erin Weigel
Apr 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Correction: 10 stars.

I think some of the people poo-pooing this book misunderstand its purpose and/or don’t like the fact that things they consider to be complex (yet are also kinda common sense) can be distilled and understood on a superficial level. By making this kind of content more accessible and engaging to not-your-typical-MBA-student, the sketch-note “author” removes some elitism associated with business school and/or academia.

I’d be curious to see how some people would respond to the s
Chanh Nguyen
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading Visual MBA, I wished I read this earlier, don't agree with these dimension in depth. However, It's a fantastic combination ever that you have a full picture of how to run a business, become GM. It reminded about my favorite quote:

“Thinking is difficult, that’s why most people judge.” ― C.G. Jung

Strategic Human Resource Management
Business Negotiations
S
Michael Wolcott
Unique idea that aligns well with visual thinking and combines a large amount of information succinctly. The book itself takes only about 1-1.5 hours to read. The downside of the visual aspects is it did not allow for too much depth in the information so it feels like major principles were missing or that it would be difficult to apply without sufficient understanding.
Jason Smith
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A good reference material. It's like reading the powerpoint slides for various lectures covered in the span of an MBA's coursework. The inclusion of course numbers by some of the sections is superfluous unless you're attending the same institution as the author. Overall it achieves its purpose. ...more
chaw
Oct 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overall : Learnt very very superficially. May be just some business terms.

Not for a beginner learner in business which I was.

Some chapters are confusing to me which I only binge read for those.

Very few I can apply.

(Review : Honest and Personal)

Omar El-mohri
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: printed-copy, 2020
Very nice approach where you get right to the idea, I think this is mostly for people who are already familiar with the business world and want to have a quick overview than maybe going deeper into ideas when needed, but for someone who is not, he will be mostly lost
Dejan Pekter
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting overview of MBA program, but without previously being at least informed on the topics covered it would be pretty hard to follow.

Since I’m visual learner, this book definitely delivers on that field. Graphics are creative and beautiful, some pretty hard concepts are illustrated very simply.

Structure of program gets lost from time to time, and I was like: this doesn’t belong here.

I really liked some of the frameworks mentioned here, so I definitely learned something new in this book
Alfred
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really good. Chewed through it. Will return to this for reference heaps.
Spencer
Lots of nice, helpful info, but could use more concrete examples.

This is my WHOLE MBA, Jason!
Alex Boyd
Financial stuff was good, rest was very meh
Kent
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Easy to follow, nice & simple approach.
Mayur Sinha
Author claims that this book can teach you 2 years of MBA syllabus in just few pages but I found it too far fetched after reading it. Sure, the visuals are great and absorbing but the content itself don’t do much justice. If you’re not an MBA and curious to know the basics of it then go for it. There is a reason that an MBA takes two years. But anyways this book will give you a sneak peek of the MBA curriculum and you can pick up your favourite topics later on - this is what I’m doing too.
Eduardo Rosas
Jul 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I guess this is not how I learn.
Chris Whipple
Feb 26, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read with the “sketchnotes” filling most of the pages. I liked that each topic had a good over view of ideas and concepts. It was nice to refresh areas I already have experience but was lacking if I’m enough substance for areas where I wanted to learn more. Maybe it was just the spark I needed to find my next great read. If the goal was to plant a few seeds and hope they can grow my business, I think the book was a success. (Sorry for keeping the book checked out so long from th ...more
Robert
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically a 200-page semi-visual summary of a guy's notes taken during business school. He explains basic concepts and offers insight into how MBA students are taught to think about things. The takeaway is that you get a better idea of the mindset of someone with an MBA, as that sort of education is about realigning the way people see the world. The illustrations and diagrams are amusing. I wish he had included additional concrete examples of certain concepts. I was amused by how th ...more
Stephen Lubin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was really great.

I loved the visual format and have actually searched for books similar because it makes it so easy to read. Like a storybook for adults about adult topics.

I got a lot out of the book too. I made a lot of highlights.

If you are thinking about getting your MBA or if you want to be better at business, pick this up and read it. It's as easy as scrolling through Instagram.
Lisa Day
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a visual learner so this book was completely perfect for me. I have my masters degree in marketing, but have always wanted to get my actual MBA. However, the thought of working on the degree scares me. I loved that this book provided the knowledge I desire while being done in a way I can comprehend and absorb. If you are a visual learner...which I believe so many people are now...and want to increase your education I highly recommend this book. So much value!!
Kamil Tatol
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to squeeze 86 class days (516h) into one (not that long) visual-notes book? The Visual MBA is the answer.

The Visual MBA is a quick guide to the most essential topics of the Master of Business and Administration Programme. I believe every one of us remembers the day when we felt lost before some critical exam, with no idea how to catch up on everything. I, personally, been saved a few times by helpful friends of mine who shared colorful and extensive notes from the lectures. This book almost
Sophia Exintaris
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
It’s a summary, not a shortcut.

You won’t learn everything they teach in an MBA by reading this. But you will find threads to pull at, things to google, and topics to investigate further.

The sketchnotes are handy for giving an ultra-simple definition of the concepts presented in the book. My favourite bit was finally learning how EBITDA is calculated... even though these days the joke is that it’s EBITDAC.... (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortisation and coronavirus)
Mr A Dhanani
Jul 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very light

I think I read the description wrong,I assumed that the book was going to be full of revision diagrams about topics. It's nothing of the sort and is not very helpful. Sorry for the poor review but is really not worth the bother.
Oge
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute doodles, good intentions, but overall too shallow to be useful. Occasional good insights and reminders (to read more about certain topics).
Zipora Zipora
May 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
70% of learning is experiential and now it is up to you. Learning never stops. Dig deep, ask "why", challenge, ask questions, and then DO. You are an artist with many canvases ready to be filled by your intellectual curiosity and discovery.
Reference Guide: start find out who to serve, come up with an idea, experiment, validate your idea, plan, map your strategy, decision making, branding, business entity setup, launch, marketing, measure & diagnose, refine your product and marketing, problem so
James
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this book had its moments, it is mostly a loose connection of mnemonic devices and sketches of various business concepts. Although placed into meaningful chapters, the overall synthesis and flow is poorly edited, with some ideas left hanging. This book might have been an easy 4-stars if the author/editor would have done a better job introducing, scaffolding, then concluding each chapter. Instead it’s pretty loose.
Some sections works quite well if you have prior or relevant special knowled
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business
  • Business Made Simple: 60 Days to Master Leadership, Sales, Marketing, Execution, Management, Personal Productivity and More
  • Manifest
  • Play Nice But Win: A Ceo's Journey from Founder to Leader
  • Problem Solving 101: A Simple Book for Smart People
  • Building a Second Brain: A Proven Method to Organize Your Digital Life and Unlock Your Creative Potential
  • Хадгаламж өлсөхөөс эхэлнэ
  • Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges, and Leaderboards
  • A Brief History of Equality
  • I Called Him Necktie
  • 13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don't Do: Own Your Power, Channel Your Confidence, and Find Your Authentic Voice for a Life of Meaning and Joy
  • Why We Get the Wrong Politicians
  • Smart Choices: A Practical Guide to Making Better Decisions
  • Making Numbers Count: The Art and Science of Communicating Numbers
  • The One-Page Financial Plan: A Simple Way to Be Smart About Your Money
  • The Truth About COVID-19: Exposing The Great Reset, Lockdowns, Vaccine Passports, and the New Normal
  • How to Lose a Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship
  • Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

The internet, on balance, has been something of a mixed-blessing for our species. But one thing everyone agrees on: It’s a great place to watch...
“When people see you, what do they think/ feel about you? That’s your brand.” 0 likes