Start by marking “The Visual MBA” as Want to Read:
The Visual MBA

The Visual MBA

One of Kickstarter's top sellers, raising over 1,000% and selling in 34 countries around the world. Over two years of his MBA program, Jason Barron took sketchnotes that anyone can understand. Whether you’ve never been to business school, already attended, or are in a program currently, he created this book with you in mind. Each chapter is an individual class packed with ...more
Published 2017 by Self

To ask other readers questions about The Visual MBA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Visual MBA

Start your review of The Visual MBA
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
I'm not persuaded that this oversimplification / visual approach is the best there is. Anyway, DNF-ing this one pretty early.

Plus: Nice graphics.
Minus: I sort of don't see the point of learning common sense things.
roxi Net
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book -- as I try to get motivated to get my master's degree (preferably in Library Science), I've been debating on MBA. Just the thought of going back to school makes me tear my hair out. Why can't there be more books like The Visual MBA where we can read, take a test, and be done with it all? It's a great resource (I just wish it came with a degree).
Melody Warnick
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gleaned some useful info, but there's a reason MBAs take two years and not a few hours.
Tatsuhiro Sato
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book, surely not detailed, but the illustrations are brilliant, at times teaching more than business, teaching about life. Surely a good starter for any MBA aspirant.
Fred Forbes
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Packed is the word! Distilled to the essence is the result. Quick read due to the diagrams and illustrated notes.

As an MBA holder, I must admit he covers the topics fairly well, but as in many things, the devil is in the details. And frankly, doing the assignments is what really leads to a level of comfort and understanding so no book of notes will ever replace that.

Still, a useful guide for those who wish to "hold their own" in basic business discussions but who have no desire to get bogged dow
Sara
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The book is clearly not a replacement for an MBA program, but it is a good refresher on common frameworks and topics. Having earned an MBA from a top program, I prefer some of the models specific to my professors, and I got more in-depth and useful critical thinking structures from my classes, but many of the basic "must know" items are covered decently here (e.g., Porter's Five forces, Steve Blank's entrepreneurship process, 4 Ps of marketing). What's missing is application, examples, and the s ...more
Chanh Nguyen
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading Visual MBA, I wished I read this earlier, don't agree with these dimension in depth. However, It's a fantastic combination ever that you have a full picture of how to run a business, become GM. It reminded about my favorite quote:

“Thinking is difficult, that’s why most people judge.” ― C.G. Jung

Strategic Human Resource Management
Business Negotiations
S
Michael Wolcott
Unique idea that aligns well with visual thinking and combines a large amount of information succinctly. The book itself takes only about 1-1.5 hours to read. The downside of the visual aspects is it did not allow for too much depth in the information so it feels like major principles were missing or that it would be difficult to apply without sufficient understanding.
Jason Smith
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A good reference material. It's like reading the powerpoint slides for various lectures covered in the span of an MBA's coursework. The inclusion of course numbers by some of the sections is superfluous unless you're attending the same institution as the author. Overall it achieves its purpose.
Nang Aung
Overall : Learnt very very superficially. May be just some business terms.

Not for a beginner learner in business which I was.

Some chapters are confusing to me which I only binge read for those.

Very few I can apply.

(Review : Honest and Personal)

Omar El-mohri
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: printed-copy, 2020
Very nice approach where you get right to the idea, I think this is mostly for people who are already familiar with the business world and want to have a quick overview than maybe going deeper into ideas when needed, but for someone who is not, he will be mostly lost
Dejan Pekter
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting overview of MBA program, but without previously being at least informed on the topics covered it would be pretty hard to follow.

Since I’m visual learner, this book definitely delivers on that field. Graphics are creative and beautiful, some pretty hard concepts are illustrated very simply.

Structure of program gets lost from time to time, and I was like: this doesn’t belong here.

I really liked some of the frameworks mentioned here, so I definitely learned something new in this book
Kent
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Easy to follow, nice & simple approach. ...more
Eduardo Rosas
Jul 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I guess this is not how I learn.
Robert
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically a 200-page semi-visual summary of a guy's notes taken during business school. He explains basic concepts and offers insight into how MBA students are taught to think about things. The takeaway is that you get a better idea of the mindset of someone with an MBA, as that sort of education is about realigning the way people see the world. The illustrations and diagrams are amusing. I wish he had included additional concrete examples of certain concepts. I was amused by how th ...more
Stephen Lubin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was really great.

I loved the visual format and have actually searched for books similar because it makes it so easy to read. Like a storybook for adults about adult topics.

I got a lot out of the book too. I made a lot of highlights.

If you are thinking about getting your MBA or if you want to be better at business, pick this up and read it. It's as easy as scrolling through Instagram.
Lisa Day
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a visual learner so this book was completely perfect for me. I have my masters degree in marketing, but have always wanted to get my actual MBA. However, the thought of working on the degree scares me. I loved that this book provided the knowledge I desire while being done in a way I can comprehend and absorb. If you are a visual learner...which I believe so many people are now...and want to increase your education I highly recommend this book. So much value!!
Kamil Tatol
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to squeeze 86 class days (516h) into one (not that long) visual-notes book? The Visual MBA is the answer.

The Visual MBA is a quick guide to the most essential topics of the Master of Business and Administration Programme. I believe every one of us remembers the day when we felt lost before some critical exam, with no idea how to catch up on everything. I, personally, been saved a few times by helpful friends of mine who shared colorful and extensive notes from the lectures. This book almost
Mr A Dhanani
Jul 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very light

I think I read the description wrong,I assumed that the book was going to be full of revision diagrams about topics. It's nothing of the sort and is not very helpful. Sorry for the poor review but is really not worth the bother.
Oge
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute doodles, good intentions, but overall too shallow to be useful. Occasional good insights and reminders (to read more about certain topics).
James
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this book had its moments, it is mostly a loose connection of mnemonic devices and sketches of various business concepts. Although placed into meaningful chapters, the overall synthesis and flow is poorly edited, with some ideas left hanging. This book might have been an easy 4-stars if the author/editor would have done a better job introducing, scaffolding, then concluding each chapter. Instead it’s pretty loose.
Some sections works quite well if you have prior or relevant special knowled
Genc Tasbasi
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've mixed feelings about this book. It started as a 5* book for me, even before I turned the first page (as I liked the idea of the book, visual presentation).

Then I moved to 4*, as some pages miss the point and not clear enough. Author just assumed putting a nice illustration explains whole concept. It does not.

Later on in some pages I thought the book is really worth only 3* as it does get annoying (ie 'Quarterback' example on page 170 - I've zero interest in American football and have NO ide
Pete Halsted
I suspect the book itself is pretty good, however, it didn't translate well to my kindle paperwhite. Many of the images were hard, if not impossible, to see well on the Kindle. I would also call it more of a reference book, than a book to read. The majority of the information is in the images, which is the point of the book, and it has a few sentences here and there to explain it to you, however, this makes it not very pleasant to sit and read cover to cover. Bottom line there is a lot of good b ...more
Lailatus Soimah
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
2yrs experiences in MBA packed in this one sketchnote book! My fave part is how to come up with creative and innovative bussines ideas which should hit the sweet pot. Besides how to generate ideas, this book tells about financial statement, precise and effective marketing, management and leadership in business too. Not to detail, not really hard to be understood for lay people , and the sketchs is helping much! Apparently the writer not only bluffing about creativity but apply it to his own book ...more
Lisa Hunt
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought this might be a good book for my high school senior to give her an overview of business concepts. After reading it I think this would tend to be way over the head of someone who didn't already have a background in business. it was a weird mix of too complicated and too simple at the same time. On the plus side, I loved the illustrations and I only wish my college notes looked like this! Had I sat in on these specific classes, I think this would be a great way to cement the lectures in ...more
Gladh3on
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a business professional I am always looking for great quick methods of understanding or refreshing on common business concepts. The Visual MBA is just that! This book contains great graphic presentations anyone can use! As a current MBA student I found this book to be a useful supplement to many of my graduate classes and wish it had been available while I was going through my undergrad studies. I highly recommend this book and have already convinced multiple friends to purchase it.
Dave Cass
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
As a layman with no business background, I believe this book gives a good overview of the breadth of topics associated with an MBA. In it, Barron covers strategy, ethics, finance and plenty more. The visuals improve the book's readability.

However, would have enjoyed it more if it were slightly more academic. My impression is that the average reader is already somewhat educated. This book could be amazing with additional descriptions or examples of what's going on.
Erica McMannis
I thought it had some really good lessons in here especially for an entrepreneur, but there were times where I was flipping the pages so fast and it wasn't the urge to learn more; it was "ok when am I going to actually learn something" mentality. I enjoyed the drawings that clarified what words were written, but some times it felt like I was reading a Walt Disney book.
I have put it down for now, but will give it another try in a month
Sophia Exintaris
It’s a summary, not a shortcut.

You won’t learn everything they teach in an MBA by reading this. But you will find threads to pull at, things to google, and topics to investigate further.

The sketchnotes are handy for giving an ultra-simple definition of the concepts presented in the book. My favourite bit was finally learning how EBITDA is calculated... even though these days the joke is that it’s EBITDAC.... (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortisation and coronavirus)
Donald Mason
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite an impressive read. I wonder what all those who gave low grades to this great books are thinking about MBA in general. The thing is that you pay money doesn't free you from the need to study. I also had problems with my grades that I had to solve with getmbaessay com once but with the help of this book I will know what steps I must take further. Thanks to the author. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Principles for Success
  • The Mafia Manager: A Guide to the Corporate Machiavelli
  • The One Hour Content Plan: The Solopreneur’s Guide to a Year’s Worth of Blog Post Ideas in 60 Minutes and Creating Content That Hooks and Sells
  • เศรษฐกิจโลก 1,000 ปี
  • Good Charts: The HBR Guide to Making Smarter, More Persuasive Data Visualizations
  • Unstructured : วิธีคิดไร้กระบวนท่า
  • Wealth Exposed: This Short Argument I Overheard Made Me A Fortune... Can It Do The Same For You?
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Making Smart Decisions
  • Upstream: The Quest to Solve Problems Before They Happen
  • The Advice Trap: Be Humble, Stay Curious & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • The Ghosts of Eden Park: The Bootleg King, the Women Who Pursued Him, and the Murder That Shocked Jazz-Age America
  • Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby
  • A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery #2)
  • The Adventures of Johnny Bunko: The Last Career Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
  • What It Takes: Lessons in the Pursuit of Excellence
  • The Vexed Generation (Magic 2.0 #6)