Start by marking “Annihilation (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #3)” as Want to Read:
Annihilation (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #3)

Annihilation

(Mass Effect: Andromeda #3)

An official tie-in to the hit video game Mass Effect: Andromeda. As the Quarian ark Keelah Si'yah sails toward the Andromeda galaxy, it carries 20,000 colonists from several races including the Drell, Elcor, and Batarians. Along the way a routine check reveals that many of the Drell colonists have died in their cryopods, and a pathogen is discovered. It begins to jump spec ...more
Published November 6th 2018 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Annihilation, please sign up.
T. Ellis All three books are standalone stories, though they relate to the game Mass Effect: Andromeda if you haven't played it.

The other two novels are set be…more

The other two novels are set before the game, and I *think* this is supposed to be a sequel answering some of the game's lingering mysteries. (About to dig in, but I may be wrong!!)

If you have any lingering interest, I'd still very much recommend Initiation -- great book on its own!(less)

Start your review of Annihilation (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #3)
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Urgh! This was just... mediocre at best.

And this is coming from a Mass Effect fan.

What started as a grand story of a journey to another galaxy turned into a close-quarters murder mystery. Think back to that psychological movie you saw a long time ago, which is filmed in a single room with a cast of 3 people. Except here we have a single spaceship and 6-7 characters.

The Cube comes to mind first. A great idea, bad execution. Still, the movie is a masterpiece of cinematography compared to Annihilat
Bradley
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019-shelf
I was worried about this novel. I really was. Despite the fact that I love the Mass Effect games and despite the fact that I love Cat Valente's writing, I still felt anxious, wondering if this could never as good as another novel that is wholly original.

You know, the same complaint some of us always have against franchise SF. Name any of them. Star Wars, Star Trek. Some really are good, of course, but expectations rarely live up to execution.

So why do I love this one, then? Is it because of the
Trish
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I haven't (yet) played Mass Effect though I have wanted to for a long time. I have not (yet) read any of the comics or other novels in this franchise. My plan was to read them all in order. And maybe I still will. However, I couldn't resist this one because it is written by one of my favourite authors: Catherynne Valente.

Disclaimer for all those unsure: you don't need to have read any of the other books or comics and you don't need to have played any of the games to understand this story.

So what
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at the BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/12/15/...

Although we’re here to talk about a book, no discussion about Mass Effect: Andromeda: Annihilation would be possible without at least acknowledging the fan response to the game it was based on, which many found unremarkable, if not disappointing. Speaking as someone who adores the Mass Effect franchise, even I have to admit that Andromeda—while arguably not as terrible as everyone says it is—was still probably the weakes
Nicole
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, 2019
The first half was a bit slow, mostly because I couldn’t remember what the different races looked like. But I did enjoy the plot and the characters were all unique and fun to read about. Also fuck yeah for gay aliens!
Ryan
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ask you: what's not to love about a wise-cracking, Shakespeare-quoting Elcor ear nose and throat doctor?
marilyn
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased
I'm a big fan of the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games so I read all the related books as soon as they come out. My four star rating is based on loving the games, having played them over and over, knowing the lore, and wanting more content in the games, and if not there, in books. I don't see how the books could be really enjoyed without the background of the games they are linked to but in the case of this prequel, for a series of games that I love to play, I was very happy to be able to indulge ...more
Lucía
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contained emotion: this book was amazing. With cautious excitement: I’m looking forward to hearing news of ME:A2
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I read this because it has drell in it. I could just leave it at that. It's the truth. (I like the elcor too, but I have a half drell/half human goddess tattooed on my arm, so that's where my loyalties lie.) Reading this (honestly very well written) book has reopened some of my Andromeda wounds and I don't think I've ever actually vented any of those anywhere, so I mean, if not now, when?

So Mass Effect: Andromeda is a game about the races in the Milky Way sending colony ships to the Andromeda g
Kristen
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I really enjoyed this one. A snarky elcor was just the beginning of the good times. A mystery that stayed under wraps, a hanar that gets high AF, a really likable quarian first officer and a mysterious drell all meant good times to me. 😁
dg
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
i loved this. snappy dialogue, good flow between scenes, and i LOVED the last chapter. i was waiting for that to happen literally the whole book and i can't believe it did!!

this book is a closed room type of mystery. the "sleepwalker" team (a multi species team that wakes up every once in a while to check on cryopods during the trip to andromeda) wake up about 30 years before reaching andromeda to realize that there are a bunch of drell and some hanar dead in their cryopods from some unknown vir
Aleksandra Usik
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an unexpectedly great book with well flashed-out and complex characters (Yorrik <3) who serve as a proof that you don't need to include humans to tell an engaging Mass Effect story. I was also pleasantly surprised by how little exposition there was. Only the most important information from the ME universe was explained with the author trusting that the book will be read mostly by those who have completed the trilogy. For example: while each race that appears in the book is described in grea ...more
Zardoz
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning: If you haven’t played the Mass Effect games it will be harder for you to understand this novel. It’s not impossible just harder. Wikipedia may be of assistance.
Having said that I found the book to be extremely well written. Catherynne Valiente is definitely on my radar as an author to watch. There was a lot of great humor, horror and mystery to keep the reader entertained.
The book is set on a spacecraft full of different alien species (No Humans onboard). The ship has been sabotaged and
Carien
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I loved Mass Effect Andromeda and for a long time after finishing the game I held hope there would be DLCs. One of those could have been about the Quarian ark, as at the end of the game it is revealed the Keelah Si'yah is in trouble. Alas: EA decided to pull the plug and I didn't get a Quarian ark DLC. So you bet I preordered this book as soon as I knew it was about the Keelah Si'yah.

And this is a really great book. Even better than Nexus Uprising.

The Quarian ark is travelling through space, all
Elizabeth Kihara
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pre-ordered the book months before it came out because i read the first two Mass Effect Andromeda novels, and I loved them. More than the game even. The writing in the first one was really good. It's told from the perspective of a few of the characters from the game, mainly Sloane and the writing reflected each different character's personality, which i thought was a nice touch. I loved the second book because the story turned out to be a lot more captivating than I was expecting and it also p ...more
Adam Maloney
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans, mass effect fans, noir fans
Catherynne M. Valente's Mass Effect: Annihilation is so freaking good you guys. It's hilarious, horrifying, riveting, and stuffed full to bursting with Mass Effect deliciousness. The looping space-noir narrative starts off with a bang and doesn't let up until the closing pages. In addition to the aforementioned, Valente masterfully fulfilled the long running promise/gag of Elcor Shakespeare that never materialized in the games.

Now, I will admit that I am someone who loves the labyrinthine, lyric
Luke Waldron (TheGingerBookWorm)
As the Quarian ark Keelah Si'yah sails toward the Andromeda galaxy, it carries 20,000 colonists from several races including the Drell, Elcor, and Batarians. Along the way a routine check reveals that many of the Drell colonists have died in their cryopods and a pathogen is discovered. It begins to jump species, then the ship's tech begins to fail, making it clear that this is no accident. It's murder and the perpetrator is still on board.

A murder mystery in space with a joke thrown in at the sa
Nathalie
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2019
Like many others, I was thoroughly disappointed that we did not get the Quarian Ark DLC that was teased at the end of Mass Effect: Andromeda. While I did not expect a book to have the same kind of emotional impact I was hoping for with the DLC, I was curious enough about what happened to the Quarians that I had to pick this up.

I'll get my main complaint out of the way first: The pacing in Mass Effect: Annihilation is very slow. There are a lot of sections that don't seem to serve any purpose oth
Jersy
This is very slow-paced and character-focused, maybe even too much for me.
The characters are really fun for the most part and I loved learning about the different species on board and what set them apart from each other. I think that´s were the book shines most. It´s just, for a long time this was the only thing it consisted of. That and people arguing. The plot was in the background for a lot of it and moved incredibly slow. Once it picked up, it was actually quite interesting and well done, bu
Cam Mcneil
An Elcor and Hanar having a conversation about Hamlet is almost worth the price of admission itself. I wonder if the ending had to be changed after the DLC was cancelled because it suddenly changes pace quickly near the end and feels a bit rushed.

Anyway, everything that is interesting in it is about the political dynamics between the species in the Milky Way and reminds you of what was great about the original trilogy. They need to find a way to get the setting back into the Milky Way. Someone
Matt
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I needed to know what had gone on with the Quarian ark. What I got was not only some answers to that mystery, but also a virtually human-free story filled with some great characters! With most sci-fi and fantasy these days being strictly human-only affairs, it was like a breath of fresh air to read something that got to explore some great alien races that had previously been relegated to the sidelines of the Mass Effect games. There weren't really even any battles, which ...more
Francis Bourdages
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good structure, but the first part is long. Also, the name become hard to read and remember. Finally, I dont like the multi point of view through the book
Erica
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really need to play Andromeda and go find their ship 😳
Kevin
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's an odd moment where a Quarian is grappling with the various problems with VI, and the book describes his difficulty by stating "[he] could not do it. No human could". I can't quite work out whether the author forgot she was talking about a Quarian, or whether it was simply a very randomly placed comment about humans. Bear in mind, there are no humans anywhere in this book.

You see, the book is about the fabled Quarian Ark, the sadly never-to-be-played DLC for the game Mass Effect Andromed
James
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Game tie in novels aren’t often great. With a game like Mass Effect, they have to jump the hurdle of players own head and game cannon.

While I can’t say you can get the most out of ‘Annihilation’ without having played the Mass Effect games, Valente uses all the ME universe has to offer to give us a rich read. Set on a multi-species Ark traveling to the Andromeda Galaxy as things go horribly wrong.

This is a great book, a must read for an ME fan.
Andrew Bone
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best of the three Mass Effect Andromeda books and was well worth the wait. The story is Sherlock'esk in its detective sections but still very Mass Effect. There is a healthy amount of humour spread throughout as well as dark themes as the story unfolds.
Casey Peterson
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to date read all 7 Mass Effect books, it is my favorite sci-fi universe. Of all the books in the series, Catherynne M. Valente's Annihilation is easily the best to date. You can tell that she is a fan of the franchise, and has treated the book with a lot of thought an care.

Plus, it is really cool to have a sci-fi book, Mass Effect or not, where there are really no human characters. seeing how other species interact and react to each other, was what I enjoyed the most.

I will check out more
Searska GreyRaven
I loved this one. It was everything I could have ever wanted from a Mass Effect story, and so much more.
Emily
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really solid start, super interesting characters but the ending was kind of a mess. I will never get tired of the Mass Effect universe though!
DeCarabas
Apr 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I almost added a star just for Liat'Nir. (Then the ending was so bad I took it away again.) Take the first scene between her and her grandson, turn it into a short story, and forget the rest of this.

The story here has no impact on the larger mysteries of Andromeda, it's an unrelated, self-contained mystery - which is disappointing since I'd been hoping to see some more of the loose ends from the game tied up, but on the bright side, it does make this book skippable for Andromeda fans. The previo
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page count for Mass Effect: Anihilation 3 12 Jan 20, 2019 11:07AM

• Mass Effect: Revelation (Mass Effect, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Mass Effect: Ascension (Mass Effect, #2)
  • Hard in Hightown
  • Mass Effect Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Mass Effect: Redemption
  • The Art of the Mass Effect Universe
  • Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights
  • Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)
  • Mass Effect: Discovery
  • The Art of Mass Effect: Andromeda
  • Mass Effect: Evolution
  • Mass Effect: Invasion
  • Asunder (Dragon Age, #3)
  • The Masked Empire (Dragon Age, #4)
  • Dragon Age: Knight Errant
  • Dragon Age: Deception
  • Dragon Age: Blue Wraith
Catherynne M. Valente was born on Cinco de Mayo, 1979 in Seattle, WA, but grew up in in the wheatgrass paradise of Northern California. She graduated from high school at age 15, going on to UC San Diego and Edinburgh University, receiving her B.A. in Classics with an emphasis in Ancient Greek Linguistics. She then drifted away from her M.A. program and into a long residence in the concrete and cam ...more

Mass Effect: Andromeda (3 books)
  • Nexus Uprising (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Initiation (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #2)