Start by marking “Frat Girl” as Want to Read:
Frat Girl

Frat Girl

Sometimes the F–word can have more than one meaning…Cassandra Davis has one shot at a scholarship to continue at the university of her dreams. She's never been one to back down from a challenge, so it's go big or go home when she pitches her research project: pledge Delta Tau Chi and provide proof of their misogynistic behaviour. The brothers are already on probation and o ...more
Published April 1st 2018 by Harlequin Teen (first published March 27th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Frat Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frat Girl

Jen Ryland
Positives and negatives with this one.

First, though, what are your thoughts on this lol:

description

Plot = Never Been Kissed (i.e. girl goes undercover and falls in love and has to deal with the fact that she has been lying to everyone...) but set in a frat house.

+ Really liked the writing style a lot

+ Points for a book that actually reflects current college life, albeit college life circa 2015. (Natty Light is still a thing but Yik Yak went down in flames around two years ago.)

+ The scene of Cassie teach
Selena
For Cassandra Davis, the F-word is fraternity—specifically Delta Tau Chi, a house on probation and on the verge of being banned from campus. Accused of offensive, sexist behavior, they have one year to clean up their act. For them, the F-word is feminist—the type of girl who hates them to the core and is determined to make them lose their home.

With one shot at a scholarship to attend the university of her dreams, Cassie pitches a research project—to pledge Delta Tau Chi and provide proof of the
Romie
This book intrigued me the moment I heard about it. I wanted to learn more about this one feminist girl who decides to go live among frat boys and write about them. And what I can say is that I am not disappointed. Not one bit. It was definitely different from anything I’d read before, but damn was it good.

Like I said, this book follows Cassie as she gets a scholarship to her number one College but only if she infiltrates a fraternity and documents her life there. The point of all this is to sho
Dash fan
3☆ Education and Fraternities

Frat girl is a story of a girl going into a all male fraternity and uncovering it for being sexist and derogatory towards women. In order to keep her all paid for scholarship.

Unfortunately Frat Girl wasn't for me. I found it to be a rather slower paced read.
It took me ages to connect with the characters.

I think this book would be more suited for those that are going through the university stage. Unfortunately I missed out at going to uni so I found it difficult to
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
“Love ending doesn’t mean love never was. It just means that, like everything else on this earth, it’s finite.”

*Thank you to Edelweiss, NetGalley, and the publisher for a copy in exchange for an honest review!*

This was such an easy and enjoyable read. With a strong (sometimes borderline preachy, but whatever) feminist message and the wildness of frat boys, this book was an easy hit for me. I've always been a sucker for books like this: a book that just radiates pure, mindless, fun.

Alright, now
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from Amazon Vine and I also ended up with an eARC from the publisher via NetGalley.

Look, this book made me so mad that my dad's dyslexia spontaneously presented itself in me and I spelled "solidified" as "solifidied." (I'm not making light of dyslexia, I am certain I have an undiagnosed case of it because it's been an issue for ages. Just ask me about "atlas" and the 6th grade spelling bee.)

Content warning for sexual assault and s
Vicky Who Reads
2 stars

I was really excited to read Frat Girl. Really, really excited.

I had refreshed and double refreshed and triple refreshed my library ebook catalogue until it appeared, and I promptly checked it out. I binged all of it that same night (I think I went to bed a little after 2 am) and fell asleep right after.

In the morning, I felt very conflicted.

What I was hoping was a super awesome feminist, empowering story ended up leaving me feel a little unsettled. Because of this feeling, I went and
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I have really been enjoying all these YA-goes-to college books lately, and I was really curious to see what Roache had planned for us with Frat Girl. I will say, I was nervous when I first started reading this book, but then, I was pleasantly surprised by Roache's approach to many of the issues addressed in the story.

•Pro: What really won my heart were all the wonderfully drawn characters in this book. When I was first introduced to some of them, I thought they were going to be
Caden Armstrong
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I found this book, I had a feeling it was going to be one of the most influential reads of my life. It was. Look past the title, or even the cover (which I personally love) and look within. Give this book the chance it deserves. It deserves to be heard.

I think that every female, male, and human being on this planet should read this book. It speaks about feminism in the most incredible, honest, and valuable light and makes me feel as if my tiny voice could make a difference. This book is po
Thamy
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want a fun book with lots of food for thought, this is it.

3.5.

Cassie needs a project or she won't get a scholarship for the university she really wants to attend. An incident in one of their frats give her the best of ideas—why not she join the frat herself?

The first time I read the summary I was sure this was about a girl under disguise but Cassie really joins the frat as herself. The only part she needs to fake is the reason—reporting from inside so she can make sure they get closed. Be
Natalie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anti-feminists
DNF @ 12%.
No thank you. This book was incredibly problematic.

First off, it's boring. I've read many books set at a college campus and they're rarely boring but this one managed to find a way to be dull. Also, I find the idea kind of ridiculous, the whole storyline I was curious about and wondered where it was going to go but it fell very flat for me.

Also, my main issue with this book. Cassie. I can't read anymore of this bitch protagonist. She's sitting on her high horse thinking she's all that
Atlas
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
* *
2 / 5

~review to come~

Not really sure what to think - on the one hand, really easy to read and I know virtually nothing about fraternities so it was all quite novel to me, and there were some good ideas in it. But there were also long diatribes that could be cut and pasted from a "liberal feminism 101" textbook that were awkward and clunky, and some of it was quite unpleasant to read (which I suppose was rather the point).

chloe ♡
There are spoilers in this review.

THIS BOOK.

a little note about the author: i don't usually talk about authors in my reviews, but kiley roache is so awesome that i think she deserves a small shoutout. it was at the end (the acknowledgements section) when i found out that she finished drafting the book at the time she GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL, which is totally badass. can't wait for her 2019 novel!

i binged this book in one day - it was so hard to put down!

being very much non-american, i knew no
Alena
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure — I know this author and have witnessed her mature from brilliant, thoughtful high school student to brilliant, provocative college grad. The very fact that she wrote and published a mainstream teen novel in those years blows my mind.

That said, I love the premise of this story. It feels very now and offered just enough complexity to keep me fully engaged. I appreciate the meticulous detail Kiley puts into Greek life (as terrifying as those details are to a Mom one year away from
Hannah
Actual rating 3.5

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I had a hard time rating this but came out at 3.5 because, despite the growth and progression of the frat boys (which I loved), Cassie took way too long to show any character growth and when she did it just felt like a huge jump with next to no nuance.

I also found Cassie's view of feminism to be incredibly limited and she judged other girls incredibly harshly, especially her room mate Leighton,
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
I enjoyed this book and it touched on a lot of relevant issues but I went into it thinking it was going to be a lot more incisive than it ended up being. The premise is that our MC joins a college fraternity so that she can expose the inherent misogyny in the Greek system. But because she ultimately becomes friends with the guys she lives with, the author can't paint them as *too* dreadful, otherwise why would the MC be buddies with them?

So instead of this being an expose on misogyny, this ended
Shea
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I’m being honest, I would give this book a 4.5 if I could because I really liked it and it challenged what I always thought what being a feminist means. I really liked Cassie as a protagonist and found her very relatable. The ending felt slightly rushed to wrap up the book, but the rest of the book felt well paced and I really liked it!!
Clare Carter
Jun 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*Probably like 1.5?* God I don't know. Strap in, whoever may be reading this, because it's gonna be a long one lol.

So my friend Erin and I decided we wanted to pick out a book to read that we knew was probably going to be bad but we wanted to have fun with it--kinda like watching a terrible movie and laughing at it. Little did I know that this was going to be one of the most infuriating books I've ever read in my life.

First of all, I want to start this review off by saying that I am very much
paula.
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am no American and therefore only knew Greek Letter Organisations from movies or tv shows, and I can only say that the whole concept is just really stupid. It’s just very American and very extra for something like that to exist. I don’t get it. But that didn’t lessen my enjoyment while reading this book.

Maybe I understand the concept of fraternities and sororities a bit better, especially after Cassie influenced the boys’ mindset. I understand that it helps to find friends or to value brotherh
luna ☾
Trigger warning: sexism, sexual assault, rape, homophobia

In all honesty, it is very difficult to come up with a conclusive opinion about this book. My enjoyment sort of went up and down throughout it all; there were scenes I really loved and scenes I rolled my eyes at.

Ironically, for a book that centres around feminism, that's not its best aspect. It's good, sure, but there were several flaws, like Cassie's double-standard for women and her "not-like-other-girls" attitude. She got called out o
Lauren R.
This is the kind of book I’d recommend to feminists and non-feminists alike. A lot of it was heavy-handed in the messages and would have maybe made more sense in the journal entries instead of internal dialogue, but the content itself was good. I definitely figured that her study wasn’t going to be all black and white, and the really positive moments were so heartwarming. I loved the relationships that were developed and one particular night that a few boys really stepped up. I didn’t do the Gre ...more
L.H. Brown
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
A mixture between a slow and quick read.
While I did love the idea behind it, it became a bit frustrating when the feeling went from feminine empowerment, to cheesy romance. For me, the story made up for it with its comedic moments. However, I definitely feel that there was a better way to share the story, without having pieces being completely stereotypical. Instead, it needed to show more variety in who people are.
Overall, this is not a book for everyone, but I feel it's definitely worth the re
Melissa T
*I won a copy of this via Goodreads Giveaways*

The sociologist in me loved this book. It features Cassie Davis, a high school student from Indiana, who comes up with an interesting way to earn the first year of a scholarship to a prestigious college. Conduct a social experiment in order to conduct research on culture inside a frat house, social norms within Greek organizations, and potentially disband the frat. What she doesn't anticipate is the far reaching effects, both on her personal life, an
Ricky
TW for this book: sexism, homophobia, racism, references to rape.

Working at the Stanford Bookstore, seeing this one on the shelves with all copies signed by Roache herself was enough to get my attention. Especially when I found out Roache is a Stanford student and is there any chance I could've greeted her at the store entrance and not even realized? Maybe. If so, it'd be a real honor to meet such a terrific author.

Frat Girl takes the reader to Warren University - a pretty thinly-disguised Stanf
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
2.5 / 5 Fangs

I was really excited to read this book because as a feminist, this book sounded like the perfect book for me! Sadly, this book missed the mark for me. I felt like this book was having an identity crisis of sorts. In the beginning, this book felt like it was trying to be a story about teaching men about the importance of equality. However, later in the book, it felt like it was just a rom-com about a girl who was cool enough to be a bro. I was hoping this was more of a feminist book
Sonder
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New favorite in the house! *side eyes my favorite books' shelf* don't be jealous, there's room for everyone!

Soooo I always kinda stay away from feminist books/fiction because, well, I consider myself a feminist but reading is like, something to relax, and feminist issues, kinda make me feel like humanity is really f-ed up, which is not relaxing. BUT...

the premise of this book intrigued me soooo much. I love stories that happen on US campuses. We don't have such big campuses and fraternities/sor
Cristina (Girl in the Pages)
There's no denying that Frat Girl is an addictive read. A girl rushes a fraternity at an elite university in order to unearth their secrets? I couldn't hit "request" on NetGalley fast enough. As I predicted, Frat Girl left me reeling in many different ways, both positively and negatively, but I can't deny that Kiley Roache's writing style and ideas are right up my alley as an reader who puts the "adult" in "young adult."

First and foremost, I have to give this book major kudos for being set in co
Anna
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Frat Girl by Kiley Roache is without a doubt one of the best books I've ever read. Cassandra Davis is a freshman at the college of her dreams with one goal in mind, to pledge Delta Tau Chi. Delta Tau Chi is a highly controversial and supposedly misogynistic frat and for a scholarship, she pitches a research project enabling her to pledge DTC and expose their misogynistic behaviors. Cassie, a feminist, goes into this experience with no hope for the future of DTC and with intentions to s ...more
Alison
Every year there seems to be a trend in YA contemporary and it seems like 2018 is the year for feminism, something I am very happy about.

As soon as I read the blurb for this I knew I wanted to read it. I loved the premise, college girl joins a frat to prove they're the source of all evil, as it sounds like such an interesting and different take (and I thought it would be a fun read with a bit of a message).

Unfortunately however the author doesn't quite pull it off. It's not a bad book, in fact
Caitlin
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I received an eARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review originally posted on my blog, Turning Pages.

I love feminist lit, so when I heard about Frat Girl I immediately wanted to read it. A young woman going into a frat to report on sexist behaviour? Sign me up.

This book is such a captivating read. Because Cassandra joins the frat, we see her constantly exposed to sexism and misogyny not only from the frat brothers but also from women. T
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Mad Blood Stirring: The Inner Lives of Violent Men
  • End of the Rope: Mountains, Marriage, and Motherhood
  • The Wedding Cake Girl
  • Sparks Off You
  • Pretty Is as Pretty Does (Class Reunion Series #1)
  • Sebastian's Poet
  • Rebecca's Rising (Salem VI, #1)
  • Godspeed: A Love Story
  • Four in the Morning
  • Maud
  • What I Did On My Midlife Crisis Vacation
  • Henrietta the Dragon Slayer (Henrietta the Dragon Slayer, #1)
  • David's Song
  • Bombshell
  • Twelve Months
  • Charmed: The War on Witches: Charmed Series #1
  • The Reason is You
  • Last Chance Christmas (Last Chance, #4)