Start by marking “The Rise of Nagash (Warhammer Chronicles)” as Want to Read:
The Rise of Nagash (Warhammer Chronicles)

The Rise of Nagash

(Warhammer Chronicles)

Nagash was the first necromancer and the supreme lord of undeath. He wrested the secrets of dark magic from the elves and perverted them to suit his ends. When the priest-kings of Nehekhara stood united against him, he broke their armies and sacked their cities. He raised the largest army of the dead the world has ever known and became an immortal dark god. His deeds are l

Published October 28th 2017 by Black Library (first published December 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Rise of Nagash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rise of Nagash

Start your review of The Rise of Nagash (Warhammer Chronicles)
Sud666
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
"Nagash" was truly epic. This hefty magnum opus of Mike Lee's comes in at 957 pages and consists of three books. Allow me to say-it is absolutely worth it. The term epic is quite apropos due to the enormous scope of the story. It is not only vast in scale covering an entire "section" of a Warhammer world over a period of nearly a thousand years, but the cast of characters and their eventual effect on the entire world is palpable. This was a great book!

Nagash the Sorcerer is the first book. It co
Hanzel
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star
Hate and Love, such simple concepts but it drives anyone or anything to do the near impossible, but on a fantasy setting, it can create Gods or in this case a God!!
Nagash once a simple hierophant, smitten or in this case lusting for his sister in law, found a way to become something else: a lich , gaining more power from becoming an undead, he was able to even challenge his gods and prevail but alas as in every realm/world/universe, his undoing was a mere mortal, a human with the same greed as h
Lachryma
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to write interesting plots from the perspective of the undead, even their most soulful incarnation in the form of vampires, but this was done well. I avoided reading this "End Times" series since this universe is already quite grim-dark and it'd just be even more so, but actually it's pretty fun to watch everything be doomed and the various characters play their part, rail against their fate, or otherwise react to the end. So, I liked this book and I'm curious to read more by this auth ...more
Eben Farley
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book, with a truly evil villain, Not a single redeeming feature except for his commitment to evil. It was a nice change.

The ending was a bit blunt though in my opinion.
Gavin Gates
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is, as far as I'm aware, the final section in the base tale of the 'time of legends' setting for the Warhammer world along with 'The legend of Sigmar' and 'The Sundering.' All of these as a whole have basically covered the history of a full fantasy setting spanning a countless amount of time. ...Nagash focuses on the named character, god and legend himself, from his beginnings coming into power onwards and the world he lives in on a much larger scale.
The big problem that I found starting o
Jim
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The collected versions of Nagash the Sorcerer, Nagash the Unbroken and Nagash Immortals, part of the Time of Legends series that flushes out the backstory to the Warhammer world. The Rise of Nagash deals with how the Undead, Necromancy and Vampires came into the world via Nagash a priest of an ancient land who breaks every vow and law to seize power and become "The Undying King".

Let me save you some time. After 1000 pages it comes down to this, Nagash is a prick. He was born a prick, he grew up
Jean-François Lebrun
This is my first entry into the Warhammer universe. Following the life of this particularly evil character is a riveting experience and now I can't wait to learn more about the Warhammer lore.
SDIV
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was my first Warhammer book I've ever read, and I'm thankful to Creative Assembly's Total War Warhammer 2 and of course Games Workshop for creating the Tomb Kings, a fantasy version of ancient Egypt and it's many faschinating characters that peaked my interest enough to spend hours reading wikipedia about them, and ultimately buying my first Warhammer Fantasy book.

That said, after several more books I've read from this universe, the Rise of Nagash trilogy is definitely far from being that g
Glyn
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The true beginning of the cataclysmic ""End Times" where Games Workshop destroyed the beloved Old World prior to introducing the Age of Sigmar.

Any book that deals with the undead attempting to return their own progenitor is going to be nihiilistic in tone and depressing in outlook That is certainly a fair description of this book, which deals with the matter in a rreadable and enjoyable way.

Mike Lee does a good job of making the protagonists entertaining. Mannfred is particularly enjouyable as h
Stephanie
Apr 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the worst books from the Black Library I have ever read. I say read, I didnt finish it all, as it was so devoid of fun or interest I just gave up. I don't recall ever giving up on a book I read over a 100 pages off before, normally I will just see it through and consider it an experience. But this was something else. The set up is typical for a lot of Warhammer books, 2 stories going along at the same time. One of them is the worlds most boring battle, in which pages are dedicated to troo ...more
Denis
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Rise of Nagash, written by Mike Lee, is a three-story big omnibus that concentrates on the formation of Warhammer's greatest and most powerful lich of all times - Nagash. The stories are a tale of 600 years long pursuit of this necromancer's quest for power, vengeance, and unstoppable immortality.
The first book details his earliest, most difficult beginnings, where he faces the entire empire that he was supposed to serve, the ancient Nehekhara. Through cruel cunning and calculation, Nagash,
Pietro
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rather enjoyed this, though must admit that I've always preferred Games Workshop in 'Fantasy Battle' mode rather than '40K'. Not always an 'easy' read, and not exactly a 'happy ending', but what can one expect from the three volume biography of a world's primal Necromancer?
Entertaining enough. Imagine Brian Lumley's 'Vampyre World' with less gratuitous teeth & ass.
Claire Benham
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer
I think the 2nd book in here was the best one. I loved everything about this omnibus ❤
Dylan Murphy
A solid 5/5 stars on every novel in this omnibus collection!
Each story was a solid and fun adventure through the ancient world of warhammer, and having Mr. Mike Lee take us on this adventure of war and bloodshed, death and undeath, love and hate, was an absolute joy!
The actual Omnibus is a Monstrous beauty with fantastic artwork and page count to scare off most readers.
I wish it had the Picking the Bones short story in it as an added bonus, but I did love the Dramatis Personae and the bits on Ne
Nick
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that started strong, dragged ass in the middle, then finished far too quickly. While a rousing good read I ended up not feeling for any of the characters, even the Messiah figure at the end of the book who was obviously supposed to be the inspirational hero that the reader identified with and felt for. He felt rather flat and emotionless.

Part of this has to do with the timespan of the three books in question. Six hundred years is a long time to tell a story but it also means that
Christopher
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nagash is the anti hero. Really one of the first book where there is never an actual hero in the story. Nagash simply sinks deeper and deeper into his own power going from what some could say was an almost vampiric existence to becoming something not even resembling human in the slightest. The wars depicted are fast and furious, and in grand detail. I have never read something that incorporated so many different aspects of the warhammer setting so fluidly. Very fun read!
Austin Aja
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is very good at describing the Life story of Nagash, giving a Dark tone that perfectly fits with the Dark Story of Nagash and what he did to the world.It is a very interesting look into the life of Nagash and how his actions changed the Warhammer World forever.
Gloria
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The book is well written, and not like the typical genre book, i.e, like the books based on Star Wars or books based on video games. The book would have gotten a higher rating, but anytime the characters are confused, the author tends to use the word 'bemused.'. Why are they always bemused?
Hibi
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of my favourite series of all time. I love, love, LOVE reading from the bad guy's perspective and rooting for them to successfully complete their diabolical plans.
Also, priest turned evil necromancer out to lay waste to good and bad guys alike? Yes please!
Andrew
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Skeletons and vampires

Really good read following the legend of Sigmar. This really helped flesh out Nagash and help you understand the beginning of his atrocities upon the warhammer world.
Benjamin
Mar 16, 2018
Gavin Addison
Jan 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Sundering (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Vampire Wars: The von Carstein Trilogy (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • The Legend of Sigmar
  • Horus Rising (Horus Heresy #1)
  • Lord of Undeath (The Realmgate Wars #10)
  • Mortarch of Night (The Realmgate Wars #9)
  • Vikings at War
  • Master of Death
  • Sunset (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #6)
  • The Sight (Warriors: Power of Three, #1)
  • Neferata Mortarch Of Blood (Warhammer Age of Sigmar)
  • Eclipse (Warriors: Power of Three, #4)
  • Dark River (Warriors: Power of Three, #2)
  • Twilight (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #5)
  • Outcast (Warriors: Power of Three, #3)
  • Fire and Ice (Warriors, #2)
  • Matthias Thulmann: Witch Hunter
  • A Warning
Mike Lee is an author, scriptwriter and game designer whose most recent credits include Fallen Angels, the latest installment in Black Library Publishing’s best-selling Horus Heresy series, and the dark fantasy epic Nagash the Sorcerer. Along with UK author Dan Abnett, Mike also wrote the five-volume Chronicles of Malus Darkblade, whose signature character has become a cult favorite among fans of ...more

Warhammer Chronicles (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Legend of Sigmar
  • Vampire Wars: The von Carstein Trilogy (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • The Sundering (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Champions Of Chaos (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • The War Of Vengeance Omnibus (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Matthias Thulmann: Witch Hunter
  • Ulrika the Vampire (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Masters of Stone and Steel (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Tyrion and Teclis (Warhammer Chronicles)
  • Warriors of the Chaos Wastes (Warhammer Chronicles)