Start by marking “White Night” as Want to Read:
White Night

White Night

In Bo Mitchell's country town, a 'White Night' light-show event has the potential to raise vital funds to save the skate park. And out of town, a girl from a secretive off-the-grid community called Garden of Eden has the potential to change the way Bo sees the world. But are there too many secrets in Eden?

As Bo is drawn away from his friends and towards Rory, he gradually
Published March 1st 2018 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about White Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Night

Start your review of White Night
C.G. Drews
This was quite a lovely slow unwinding tale about highschool and love and sustainability and then at the end -- BAM. It PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE. Nice. I admit I saw the ending coming, so I think it might've been a little over-foreshadowed, but I really enjoyed this one! It has a bit of a lazy pace but I'm totally in an ambling contemporary mood so it suited me A+ right now.

I also really love this author's Every Breath series and 10/10 you gotta read those if you haven't already. They're an Aussi
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
G'day and welcome to the town of Lamistead Victoria, where everyone knows your business and doesn't mind a gander in your windows. There's not much to do in Lamistead for sixteen year old knockabout kid Bo, footy, school, hanging round the soon to be demolished skate park. And no cooking. Definitely no cooking. Bo just wants to make his old man proud, a hard ask with all those bloody rules, the tough old bastard.

Just outside of town, the locals will have a yarn, there's a place where all the tre
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review was originally posted on Happy Indulgence Books. Check it out for more reviews!

So this was slow to begin with, but soon enough I got drawn into the mystery and the cult and the cinnamon roll Bo and his intrigue with Rory and her radical beliefs with environmentalism. Also the family actually has an impact in his life and I LOVED that about the book. And it features platonic friendships. Could not recommend more.

Gently, calmly and quietly, White Night lures you in with a fals
K.
Trigger warnings: bullying, assault, mention of domestic violence, terminal illness, (view spoiler)

I've been dying to get my hands on this book ever since Ellie announced it last year. I didn't care what it was about, I didn't care how much it cost, I was going to buy it regardless. And then when the blurb came out, my excitement only grew.

And this did NOT disappoint at all.

I devoured the first hundred pages on my half hour tram ride home from the launch l
Zitong Ren
Emma
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like all Ellie Marney’s novels this was a deftly woven story with complex engaging characters, non-stereotypical family dynamics and deeply relatable relationships. White Night sees Bo facing difficult future choices at school, upheaval at home and a magnetic attraction to Rory and her life in the alternative Eden community. Action, intrigue & heart-pounding feels aplenty. Loved it. ...more
Caitlin
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had the kind of feelings that I get from reading Melina Marchetta. And I gave this book a hug.
Bridget
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: khs-books
I loved Bo, our brave but very modest hero. He is a genuine, raw and emotional hero. Bo has a difficult relationship with his father, he tries so hard to please him but it is a tough job, his Dad is volatile and unpredictable. His mum is in the final months of pregnancy, it is the middle of a typical Australian summer, everyone is becoming short tempered from the heat. Bo has to make decisions about his subjects and pressure seems to be coming from everywhere. Bo lives in Lamistead where everyon ...more
Tracey (Life and Literature)
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
White Night started off a little slowly for me. I'm not sure if that was the story, or I was just so busy with life that I didn't have a lot of time to sit and read. But then at about a third of the way in things really picked up and I was so hooked. Ellie Marney writes characters that are impossible not to become invested in and you become swept along in their journey. She's such a vivid storyteller. I've loved everything I've read of hers so far, and really look forward to the next one!
Sue
I was excited when this book landed at my local bookshop. Anything new from Ellie Marney is always going to be good, but this is great. Still set in rural Australia, in the fictional town of Lamistead, this is a terrific YA realist novel with a message that doesn't beat you around the head.
Bo is approaching the end of his schooling and trying to decide whether to follow his gut and study subjects that will lead to him becoming a chef, or stay with what is expected and focus on sports and things
Laura Trenham
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a perfect book, so much so that I read it in one sitting! It deals with so many issues within society today: illness, bullying, family conflicts, homosexuality and a segregated community (I suppose that’s a little less common but it is still present in Amish communities etc). I love how it was told by a male protagonist as SO many female authors tend to write in female first person narrative.

The plot was well organised and all various parts intertwined. The characters were well rounded (wh
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I really enjoy this authors work. I think she captures contemporary rural and small town living beautifully. Bo is such a great character and is up against it with his parents experiencing troubles, trying to raise finds for a local skate park for the community’s youth and also drifting away from his friends and closer to Rory. A girl who has secrets and problems of her own.

I was completely engrossed in Bo’s journey and how the author tackled emotional growth, moving from being a child to an adu
Libby Armstrong
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the most outstanding things Marney has done with White Night is to make the storyline involving Rory and the commune seem so “next door”. I wanted to move there! You knew from the outset something creepy was bound to happen, but even then you had to second guess yourself as you watched Bo gravitate towards Eden for very practical reasons. All the twists were plausible which made this quite a disturbing read, in a good way
Pat
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, aussie2018, diversity
Loved this. Bo is one of the best male characters I have read about!
Megan
2.5 stars.

DNF Page 142.

Realistically, it's more my fault than the book's for a DNF. I was reading this in exam period as my break between studying, but I just can't give it the attention it deserves. Plus, even though it's not a bad book, it was still kinda building up to the major conflict of the plot- in nearly 150 pages, nothing really interesting had happened besides some minor friendship dramas. I found myself losing interest every time I set the novel down, and unfortunately I don't have t
Emily
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ellie Marney, the queen of Melbourne YA, has done it again with this incredibly captivating story.
Sixteen-year-old Bo Mitchell likes to play footy and hang with his mates, but he's not sure what his life looks like beyond high school. Now being pushed to make decisions about his future, he has to consider what is important to him, what he wants in his life, and what kind of a person he will be.
New girl and social outsider, Rory Wild seems to have her life under control. She has a purpose and s
Carole
I can totally see why this was nominated for awards. Great teenage voices, strong adult supporting roles and plenty of action that will feel real to teen readers. There is a definite Australian feel but readers in NZ will also be able to relate. Bo has a lot happening in his life: he's trying to decide on school subjects that might lead him a new direction, his mother is pregnant, his father has secrets, Bo's friends have things going on at home and he is falling for a new girl at school who liv ...more
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very quiet and innocent until it decided to creep up on me and smacked me right in the face. WAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM!
Seriously though, this book was phenomenal. A very character driven story, however I felt so invested in the story. I loved all the real-world/sociological discussion in this book and appreciated that this was an Australian book that encapsulated the Australian culture perfectly *cheers*
The blurb itself didn't immediately capture my interest but I am so glad I didn't
Diana
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was excited when this came in at work. While I enjoyed elements of the book; Ellie's excellent descriptions of human attraction and the follies of rural youth, the off the grid community's storyline really irked me.
Tara
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ellie Marney can do no wrong. Totally connected to the characters, the town and the story. Loved it.
Emily Wrayburn
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted on A Keyboard and an Open Mind 17 September 2018:

Actual rating 4.5 stars

This book totally found its way under my skin. I was thinking about it all the time when I wasn’t reading, and I had ideas about where the story was going and was supremely worried for the characters.

Bo has a lot on his mind, between footy, the end of high school and crisis in his family that his parents aren’t talking about. When Rory, a girl from the local off-the-grid commune, begins attending his
Ashley
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Unlike anything I have ever read. An interesting gripping take on the power of persuasion and the ability to follow and be led. I would give this book 5 stars for uniqueness but still an overall 3 just for my personal opinion after reading it. I didn’t hate it nor did I love any of it really. It was different and interesting and I found the way it was presented was genius. You fall into a daze with Rory, trying to figure out what she’s about. You sympathize with her cause and start to agree with ...more
Chent Higson
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ellie’s character writing is goals
H.M. Waugh
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And my award for the most awesome male character in YA goes to... Bo Mitchell!!

Seriously. From the very first sentence of 'White Night' by Ellie Marney, Bo's voice captured me. He drives this book. If you're looking for positive, realistic male role models, look no further.

I loved 'White Night'. I read a sneak-peak online and then had to wait - yes - WAIT - until it became available from my library. Excruciating.

There are a lot of things to like in 'White Night', but if I had to pick three, this
Karina
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Is it weird that I cared more about the family dynamics in this story over the cult life? 🤔 Not that the off-the-grid community life wasn't fascinating, I just think it's a testament to how well she wrote those characters - everyone and everything is a little messy. It's also not often that I read a book from a male perspective that has emotional weight to it; very refreshing.
Ellie
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 Stars

I knew this was going to be good when I got my book in the mail weeks early.

There is something about Ellie Marney's writing. I really can't put my finger on what it is besides the fact that it is completely enthralling. I'm not kidding. I'm obsessed with her style. The writing is so casual but has so many wise moments and messages. And every book of hers has this feeling that I can't get enough of. It's funny, it's emotional, it's real.

Besides that, Bo is such a reliable and lo
Sam
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-showcase
Emmaly
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow Ellie has done it again. I just loved this. A strong character driven story told by Bo a teenage boy growing up in rural Vic Australia. It’s a story about family and that point when teens work out their parents don’t alway have their shit together. About how teens start to question the world around them and how they can change it. About how small towns band together for good and how the humble casserole brought over from a neighbour can save the day.
L-J Lacey
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read the blurb for this book and was super excited to start it. However, within the first few pages I honestly started to struggle with some of the language and terminology that Ellie Marney has chosen to use. Nevertheless, I persisted to see how it would progress and I'm so glad that I did.

Bo is your typical 16 year old country boy. He plays sports, helps his parents out at home, and is popular enough at school. Then Rory starts at school. She lives at the local commune and is very different
Chloe Hughes
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gosh! I couldn’t put this book down! I was fascinated with reading the protagonist being a teenage boy- I just want to say Bo is a sweetheart, if I was 16 again I would want to be his girlfriend. He has good intentions for all his friends and family.
As Bo’s family deals with a family crisis he spends more time with new girl Rory who from a secret community called Garden of Eden that group may not be all that ideal as Bo gets to know the group.
Thrilling right up to the last page. 👍🏼👍🏼
« previous 1 3 next »

• It Sounded Better in My Head
  • Love Lie Repeat
  • Found
  • A Thousand Perfect Notes
Ellie Marney is a highly-awarded author of YA crime fiction. Her titles include the Every series - Every Breath, Every Word and Every Move - and the companion novel No Limits, White Night, and the Circus Hearts series of dark YA romantic mysteries, beginning with Circus Hearts 1. She contributed to the #LoveOzYA anthology, Begin End Begin and her next novel, None Shall Sleep, is due for releas ...more