Start by marking “Parasite (Parasitology, #1)” as Want to Read:
Parasite (Parasitology, #1)

Parasite

(Parasitology #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  13,243 ratings  ·  2,168 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Mira Grant comes a high-concept near-future thriller.

A decade in the future, humanity thrives in the absence of sickness and disease. We owe our good health to a humble parasite—a genetically engineered tapeworm developed by the pioneering SymboGen Corporation. When implanted, the Intestinal Bodyguard worm protects its host from illne
Audiobook, Unabridged, 15 pages
Published October 29th 2013 by Blackstone Audio, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Parasite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parasite

·  13,243 ratings  ·  2,168 reviews

karen
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

i'm calling it now - this is the year of the tapeworm.

seriously, TWO tapeworm novels in just a matter of months?? i am on a roll, boy howdy.

and as cool as tapewormy horror novels are, i was going to read this no matter what it was about, because i love mira grant.

greg got to this before i did, even though my desire for it was so great, so while he was reading it, i kept grilling him for feedback, and he was having a sort of tepid response to it. and when i finally started it myself, at first i w
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Even though the ending was reeeaalllyyyyy obvious... this was a fun sci fi book to listen to. An interesting concept but a forgettable story.

I'm not planning on continuing the series simply because I don't really care to see where it goes or what happens to the characters!
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
The trouble with writing believable science fiction in a contemporary or near-future setting is that the reader has to willingly suspend a great deal of disbelief. It's a familiar setting, so chances are not a lot of things have changed by then, scientific progress is advancing, things are evolving, but the book's setting and plot should be believable enough for the reader to think: holy shit, this could actually happen. This book was well-written from a fictional point of view, but for anyone w ...more
Kathylill
In short, I didn't like it. I've had a hard time even finishing it. The outcome was predictable from the start, the novel lacked action and I just couldn’t relate to the main character.

The novel lacked action in first place. It’s a very long description of a 6 year old child waking up from a cocoon her family and friends have built around her. After suffering from extensive brain damage during a car accident Sal woke up without any memories. She doesn’t know who she is, doesn’t know how to speak
Wendy Darling
I WILL TAKE THE PILL, MIRA.

I wished the title PARASITOLOGY had stuck, though. We're big girls, we could have handled it.
Michael
I got fair satisfaction out of this medical thriller with elements of science fiction and psychological horror. I was aware of the buzz and fandom surrounding Grant’s Newsflesh Trilogy kicked off with “Feed” in 2010, but I avoided them because of my aversion to zombies. I figured I might do better with “Parasite” because it concerns a medical innovation that goes awry, and I love to see exposures of the evils of corporate greed.

The premise is that a bioengineered tapeworm is developed that conf
Brandi
Oct 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Gave up at 37% because this was terrible.

It's because of my sick fascination with this type of thing that I bought this book instead of getting it from the library. I have a love/hate relationship with knowing about parasites, and other creepiness that can gross me out, so I expected to love this book on the merit that it would have me completely freaked out. Nope. BORING.

It was so obvious what was going on with her (though I admit I hadn't thought that for Sherman - I skimmed to the end once I
Faye, la Patata

WARNING: THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, FOR THOSE HANGING ON TO THEIR LAST SHREDS OF SANITY, AND FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT TAKE CRAZY PLOT TWISTS. IT'S INSANE, I TELL YOU. INSAAAAANE!

This is what Parasite by Mira Grant made me feel:

* It made me want to go on youtube to look for videos of carnivorous plants. Needless to say, I stumbled upon the weird part of that crazy site again. CANNOT UNSEE WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN.
* It made me fucking scared of elongated little buggers who may just have the c
Emma Sea
Are you fucking kidding me? You make me read 502 pages of mediocre and entirely predictable plot and then give me a TO BE CONTINUED?
Jilly
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
First off.. ewwwwwww! Parasites. Tapeworms. Gross. And, dangerous.

Secondly, this book is pretty boring until around page 130ish. Then, it gets really good.

Sally was in a horrible car accident and was brain dead after being in a coma for ages. Luckily, the world has come up with an amazing new health plan that saves mankind from almost every kind of sickness or malady. It's a tapeworm, of course, but don't worry because this is a friendly tapeworm that lives in your body to protect and serve you.
Kristalia
Final rating: 4.5/5 stars

“No one wants to set out to be a hero, and discover that they've been a villain all along.”

Mira Grant is amazing woman & writer. First, she captured my attention with Newsflesh, the series worth all the hype - and also - it was a series that i will never forget and the one that i reread already. What i wanted to say, given how much i loved her previous series, i had high expectations of this series as well.

We all want things that can never happen, and even w
Scarlet
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, horror
Wanna know the first thing I thought of when I read the blurb of Parasite?? Monsters Inside Me!! That frightening, super-gruesome documentary that can kill your appetite or make you throw up, depending on when you watch it, if at all. And tapeworms!! I remember there was an episode where this girl went blind because tapeworms had eaten away her retina. Gross, I know, but it's real, people!

I mention this because it may have something to do with why this book fell flat. I was, quite simply, disill
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read with Wendy F.
One confused dog.
A woman without her memory.
And a whole lot of bugs.

I'm fighting off the urge to quote Samuel L. Jackson. The infamous Snakes on a Plane quote kept running through my head while reading this book, except swapped out with the word "worms" instead of "snakes." There weren't actually any parasites on a plane though (even though there were a lot of them), so I am refraining.

So, Parasite...it's kind of like The Host, except with a believable breakdown and a more polished writing sty
Bradley
This was more than a well-crafted suspense novel. The world-building was very reinforced, perhaps too-much so in one direction, but the effect was pleasing. Snippets of interviews and the children's book sufficed to creep me out consistently. As for the main character, I was generally just fine with the idea that she was a six year old in a 26 year old body for a very good reason. She was super naive. That's fine for a character, but it did give the readers a bit of breathing space. Omniscient v ...more
Book Riot Community
Humans have discovered a way to eliminate all illness through the use of genetically modified tapeworms until *spoiler!* people realize that this is not a good idea. This is exactly what I’ve been looking for in my dystopian fiction – suspense, high-level secrets, great characters without the romantic drama YA fiction, compelling writing, and just a touch of horror. It’s first in a trilogy, and I’m really excited to read the next two books!

— Katie McLain

from The Best Books We Read In August 2016
Rose
I don't know where to start with this review. I only know that I need to start it now because I have this weird thing that keeps me from starting a new book before I've written a review for the book I've read before. And I really just want to start reading a book now and forget about the snooze fest that was Parasite.

I've read Mira Grant's Feed a few months ago and wasn't a fan. It was one of those huge tomes where you wonder: why did I put myself through this and waste my time? I didn't hate it
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The first thing you need to know about Parasite is that it is not Feed. If you expect the emotional impact of Seanan McGuire’s debut as Mira Grant, you will be sorely disappointed. Feed is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of book and it’s unlikely that Seanan will ever repeat it.

The second thing you need to know about Parasite is that it’s brilliant nevertheless. This is Mira Grant after all, so if sci-fi medical thrillers are your thing, very few authors write it better than she does. For me,
Justine
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read

Parasite is a near future thriller that imagines a world where personal health care is essentially managed by individuals ingesting specially bioengineered tapeworms. Well, of course, that completely backfires in the worst way one can imagine as the tapeworms become self-aware and try to take over their hosts.

For the most part I quite enjoyed this book. The story was definitely creepy, and I thought the characters were interesting enough, if not overly complex. However, I also thought
Ellen Gail
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: underrated, horror

This review has been edited for content by SymboGen Corp. Please remember, your health is too important to trust to just anyone. We thank you for your understanding.

So, what can I say about Parasite, another winner from Mira Grant? Her Feed series will always have a special place in my heart. Feed was the first book I read in my new home. And it was such a joy to just sit in MY chair and read MY book in MY house and everything was quiet and perfect.

“Isn't that the justification used by every sci
Cora Tea Party Princess
Wow.

Mira Grant is a fantastic writer, and why I hadn't read her before I do not know. Parasite reminded me of Sara's Face by Melvin Burgess with the video transcripts and the excerpts from literary sources.

This book freaked me out, it made me squirm, it made me think. It made me stop and think. I didn't need convincing about the overuse of anti-biotics and biocides and how the sterilisation of our environment is bad. I already knew that. But now I'm just going to go ahead and chuck out every nas
Stepheny
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of bugs. I don’t freak out about them, I just avoid them if I can-barring two exceptions. But I am fairly certain that if a doctor told me I had a parasite I would die. Ok, that’s a bit dramatic. I’d probably throw up and pass out. I’m a total champ, I know. The idea of having a bug inside me is enough to send me over the edge!!

This book is about that. Only worse. People are voluntarily putting parasites in their bodies. Why? WHY the fuck would anyone do this? Probably the same
♥Rachel♥
I was looking forward to this story, but unfortunately it just didn't work for me. Instead of feeling horror at events described (which I think is what the author was going for) I was just bored. Probably doesn't help that there's frequent info dumping in between actual plot progression.

Also, the story felt very similar to the Feed/Newsflesh series which I liked overall, but not enough to read/listen to another 500+ pages worth. I had just read *listened* to the Newsflesh series over the last t
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)

I got this and the second book for $1.50 each at a thrift store today. Nominated for a Hugo Award and a 3.65 rating? Hmmm. Plus, it's Seanan McGuire??? I'm wondering why the rating isn't higher? Should I be nervous?
Stefani
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the author or fans of end of the world fiction
I am not sure where this book went wrong for me but I went into it with high expectations. I am a fan of Mira Grant, I find her to be a very good writer and I have enjoyed what I’ve read from her in the past. And I started off enjoying this too, but somewhere along the line it just lost its appeal and I ended up bored.

The idea behind this book is a good one although I have to admit I was skeptical about the idea that science had engineered tapeworms to treat our medical ills. These things can se
Mogsy (MMOGC)
2.5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

Mira Grant/Seanan McGuire has wowed me before with her work, more specifically, with the book Feed in her Newsflesh Trilogy. I confess my deep love for zombie goodness, which is why I was so excited when I got my hands on Parasite, her new novel that appears to contain similar horror/thriller themes. Due to several factors, though, it turned out that wasn't able to get on board with this one as much as I'd hoped, but I did ve
Ari
You know what I did last night?
I read the "blog posts" from the Newsflesh series.. They brought tears to my eyes reminding me of how much I loved that series.

Now I'll have the chance to read another story form this amazing author and I really can't wait to fall deeply in love with a different pack of characters. November, please come faster!

____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Booklikes | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________
Pavarti Tyler
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, for-review
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in ARC form from the publisher at BEA (Book Expo America) No promise of a positive review was made.

Review: Parasite is going to be a hit. This book is genetically engineered to be a success. To say I liked it isn’t quite enough. I was disturbed and angry. I was completely engrossed. I was disgusted, fascinated and most of all I believe this book is completely possible. Perhaps not exactly the way it happens here, but in some way, I’m sure humanities hub
Alex Ristea
Say one thing about Mira Grant, say that she can write for a modern audience.

Functional prose is used without reservations so that language is a vehicle for the story. The conversations and actions in Parasite feel so natural and real that the reader is instantly convinced and dropped straight into a believable world. Not necessarily in a world-building sort of way recognizable from Fantasy novels, but even better: with characters that start off fleshed out and rounded.

I'm a fan of epidemic/pand
Duchess Nicole
Nice and nasty stuff here.

Pinworms...errr...ringworms...hmmm...flatworms...no...tapeworms, that's it! Honestly, it doesn't matter what kind of worm, the premise for this book is disgusting. My only knowledge (so far) of tapeworms comes from microbiology, a college course in which our sadistic professor made us watch a video on parasites. In this video, somewhere amongst the penis-invading, urea loving fish and the bot fly larvae (maggot) growing in a lady's skull, there was a tapeworm incident.
Melanie