Start by marking “Untethered (Black Viking #1)” as Want to Read:
Untethered (Black Viking #1)

Untethered

(Black Viking #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  9 ratings  ·  5 reviews
CLASSIC CRIME NOIR FULL OF DIRTY REALISM

'Untethered' deals with heavy drinking, isolation, PTSD and a writer struggling in search of identity. A search for reasons to go on, having already crawled stoic through life’s darkness.

Semi auto-biographical crime noir, full of dirty realism.

''...its 186 pages are packed full of deceit, human depravity and surprisingly dark humour
Published November 24th 2017 by Bristol Noir

To ask other readers questions about Untethered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Untethered

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Untethered (Black Viking #1)
Edward Smith
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
An alcohol fueled version of "Fear and Loathing" this time set in North Wales, UK.

I found the gonzo writing got in the way of the story and while that may have been the point, and it was entertaining I find there is only so much room in the world at least mine for that style of writing.

Robert Salad
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. A modern noir classic with gritty characters and a very realistic plot. The author puts you right in the front seat of a bus speeding through the 90s Bristol club and pub scene. It's really vivid, you will experience every pint and punch as if you were really there on the dance floor when it's way past 'respectable 0 clock'. The book is a complete story in itself but I can't wait for the follow up. The main character is destined to be a literary hero somewhere between Phili ...more
Adrian Coombe
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5*. It's a good read but not something I would say blew me away.
Tom Henry
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a tough read, with the storyline revolving around a very bored John, trapped in a life which is his unwelcome reward for having been a good citizen, suddenly reinventing himself with the assistance of liberal (some might say, excessive) amounts of alcohol. A mystery is thrust upon him by a neighbour. Will he succeed in solving it? Well, you might need a drink or two to find out!
Paul Brazill
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
John, the protagonist of Untethered, is a man with a dark and secret past who is living a new life under witness protection. As he sits alone in his flat, drinking and writing in his journal, John becomes embroiled in the search for a missing neighbour.

John Bowie’s ’90s set Untethered is a violent and inense read. Lyrical, moody, funny and as gritty as hell, Untethered is like a British blend of Jim Thompson and Nelson Algren.
Alison Bowie
Jun 24, 2018
John Bowie
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own-books
Ann Behan
rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2018
Jess Miller
Jul 29, 2018
Victor Jerlin
Oct 19, 2019
'A violent and intense read. Lyrical, moody, funny and as gritty as hell, John Bowie's Untethered is like a British blend of Jim Thompson and Nelson Algren.' - Paul D. Brazill (author of Guns Of Brixton)

John writes dark fiction and crime noir full of dirty realism.

His articles, poetry, short stories and novels are online and in print for the likes of Bristol Noir, Storgy Magazine, Litro Magazine,

Black Viking (2 books)
  • Transference: Love + Hate in Rain City (Black Viking #2)