Start by marking “A Taxonomy of Love” as Want to Read:
A Taxonomy of Love

A Taxonomy of Love

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  611 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews
The moment Spencer meets Hope the summer before seventh grade, it’s . . . something at first sight. He knows she’s special, possibly even magical. The pair become fast friends, climbing trees and planning world travels. After years of being outshone by his older brother and teased because of his Tourette syndrome, Spencer finally feels like he belongs. But as Hope and Spen ...more
Published January 9th 2018 by Amulet Books

C.G. Drews
Ahh this was cute and angsty and angstily cute! I'm turning into a monster who likes to read fluff, ok, (although this is fluff + serious issues = and done so well I am a FAN) and naught will stop me. Also I read this in just a f ew hours with only 2 breaks!! This is a big deal for I, who has the attention span of a headless gnat!!

Also total shout out to books that do neurodiversity so well!
That's like 98% of the reason I wanted to read this, okay!? The protagonist, Spencer, has Tourette's Syndr
Skyler Autumn
3.5 Stars

I am going to be part of Toronto's Audible Book Club with a special celeb guest as host, and as host, she got to pick the book and her favourite genre (unlike mine) is YA. So as soon as I found out the selection I was royally disappointed I thought YA contemporary romance! UGH! Hard Pass. I thought this book was going to be like every John Green novel filled with melodramatic teenagers waxing poetry and philosophical questions and just having emotional depth way beyond their years. I
may ❀
✔ Book #3 done for the Contemporary-A-Thon

Challenge: " "read a contemporary with orange on the cover" "

this book was so sickly cute i got nauseous from just reading it (okay im exaggerating, sliiightly)

Pros
- this book spans over many years, starting from when the mc is 13 and ending when he is 19
- the mc is a precious sweet little soft boy named spencer and her has Tourette's Syndrome
- i loved how we got to see spencer dealing with his condition throughout his life and how we see that it isn
Alyssa
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

A Taxonomy of Love by Rachael Allen
Publisher: Amulet Books
Publication Date: January 9, 2018
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Paulo Ratz
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 estrelas

Um dos YAs contemporâneos mais legais que eu já li! Amei a oportunidade de ter lido com antecedência ao lançamento.. o livro só sai em janeiro de 2018 lá nos Estados Unidos.

O livro acompanha a vida do Spencer e da Hope, dos 13 até os 19 anos de idade. Spencer tem Síndrome de Tourette e Hope se muda para a casa ao lado da dele logo no começo da história. Pode parecer que vai ser óbvio o que vai acontecer, MAS NÃO! Muita merda acontece, gente.

A coisa que eu mais gostei nesse livro é qu
ilsa ➹
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can you hear those vague squeals from the other end of the world and i just feel those FEELS and JUST eep! What is happening to me? I don't like contemporaries. REMEMBER. wait, I like this book. Scrap that I love it.

This is about a boy with Tourettes called Spencer who loves insects and animals and helping everyone out and is so dorky and smol and ruins so much yet you still love him. And he's basically this little enthusiastic bean who has emotions like 'OMG PANCAKES THIS IS HAPPENING' and kn
Mel (Epic Reading)
This book is adorable! I don't usually like contemporary teen books but am so glad that every now and again I am reminded of why I read them.
I don't know how close to being a teenager Rachael Allen is at the time of writing this; but it feels genuine. The narrative, dialogue, taxonomy and journal entries all really worked well together giving this diverse book unique diverse ways to tell it's story!

Neuro Issues
This book focuses on two teens: our main narrative, a boy with Tourette's syndrome;
Nina-Tala (JustAddAWord) Shannak
Nothing is wrong with this one, exactly. More of a matter of personal taste. And misplaced expectations.

Something just isn't clicking here.

This was a solid case of 'it's me, not you'. Well, kind of. I will admit to going into this with high expectations, because a) its formatted uniquely and science-y and I love these two things quite a lot, b) the book is broken down into years; ie age thirteen, age fourteen, all the way to nineteen, which seemed really cool, c) I actually don't mind the frien
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Spencer is a bug lover and all around nerd who understands that one never grows too old to climb trees. He also has Tourette syndrome. When Hope moves next door the summer before seventh grade he understands right off that she's special but that because of that last label he may never get the girl. As they grow up together and experience the growing pains of life in high school (sibling feuds, family tragedies, new relationships and broken heart
Samantha (WLABB)
This book!!! I cried so many tears today - happy tears, sad tears, broken hearted tears, frustrated tears, but in the end, I cried tears of joy. This book had an intro letter from the editor, which called this a YA When Harry Met Sally, and I have to agree with her assessment. It was a tough 6 year journey with Hope and Spencer, but I am so happy I took it.

In the introduction by the editor, this book was cited as a YA When Harry Met Sally, and I have to say, that was a great reference for this
Juan Manuel Sarmiento
Me alegra ver cómo poco a poco están saliendo cada vez más novelas con diversidad en sus personajes para incluir protagonistas con enfermedades mentales (otros ejemplos: Buscando a Audrey; Aquí empieza todo; Made you up). Ahora le ha tocado el turno a Rachael Allen y el Síndrome de Tourette, algo de lo que nunca había leído antes (en una novela).
Reseña completa en THE BEST READ YET BLOG
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
Have mixed emotions but mostly, I really liked it 💕
Minnie Anders
A Taxonomy of Love follows Spencer and Hope from the day they meet, at age 13, all the way to age 18, with a short epilogue after, of age 19. But even before they get there, to the grand finale (of the story), we see them go through all their teenage years, growing up, and going through the ups and downs of life.

Question: Is it a spoiler to say (if) they end up together?

The story is mainly shown through the point of view of Spencer. He loves bugs, the science of taxonomies, and he has Tourette’s
Vicky Who Reads
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

I really am the worst buddy reader ever BUT THIS WAS SO CUTE HOW COULD I NOT BINGE IT (so sorry though Henn).

But this was so cute! I loved the neurodiversity! Plus, so cute!! RTC maybe?
Ashley
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Sometimes you have a day that is so epic that you know, even before it’s over, that it’s going to be one of the dozens that you remember forever.”

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Release date was January 9th, 2018.

A Taxonomy of Love had ALL the feels. It was cute, it was happy, it was sad (omg, was it sad!), it had me tearing up, it had me laughing, there were times I was annoyed, and times I was angry. Like I said, it had all the feels. I think all that makes
Erin
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to start?!

The cover is amazing, the chapter headers are the cutest, and I absolutely love the taxonomies interspersed throughout.

I love YA books with complex families and present parents, parents (and siblings) with personalities and house rules and names!

"Maybe it's about finding the other people who don't fit the same way you don't fit"

"If it's a matter of us versus them, I always want to be on the side of people who choose kindness over hate."

I laughed, I cried (a lot), I honestly love
Madison
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is there a way to understand and capture the complexities of life, friendship, and love? A Taxonomy of Love is a sweet story that captures all the magic and heartbreak of friendship and growing up.

When the new girl moves in next door, she and Spencer become strong friends. Who else but Hope could understand Spencer's love of bugs and climbing trees. Who else could understand the ways in which he is different and yet not treat him as if he is any different at all. But sometimes life is messy and
Maggie • Library of Colors
Also posted at Library of Colors.

I feel like I should preface this review to say that I’ve solely been reading YA contemporaries over the past couple months. I’ve devoured one, sometimes two a week, and I don’t plan to stop anytime soon. So, when NetGalley approved an eARC of A Taxonomy of Love by Rachael Allen for me, I dove in head first - what a great swim it was! This book will stand out in the sea of contemporaries that I’ve been reading.

“Maybe it's about finding the other people who don't
Emma
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars*
Aila
Not going to rate the book because I kind of skimmed/skipped through a bit of it in the interest of time. (As I am typing this, it is 3 am.)

LIKES

- Exploration of grief and relationships.
I loved seeing Spencer grow into his friendships and family relationships - especially as this book takes place from the preteen to young adult years. Although I didn't agree with the way Hope handled her grief, I thought it was very heartaching and reflective of many such situations in real life.

- Neurodiverse
*Ritzrenee*
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
GOOD SOOO GOOD
I enjoyed every bit of this!

This book reminded me of What to Say Next. Weird guy stumbling over love, friendships and growing up. I really enjoyed this book because it felt realistic and very relate-able. The milestones to growing up as the story progresses together with the different events occurring really captured how a real life romance would be. Puppy love to teenage love... how long would either last?

And those taxonomy images? It was really interesting especially the taxono
Lena
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, own-e-copy
So I made sure to be the one to check the mail. Every day for a whole year, I opened the box and reached for a letter that never came. How am I ever supposed to figure anything out when such a big piece of me is missing?

It would be more of a 2.5-star rating but that's not an option, is it? I'm not much of a contemporary enthusiast. It's that kind of genre that just does not surprise. A Taxonomy of Love has it all - a protagonist with Tourette's Syndrome, a cool love interest, a golden-boy brothe
Erin
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For more of my reviews, visit my blog, As the Book Ends or follow me on my Bookstagram!

Have you ever bought a book because Bookstagram told you to? I have purchased SO MANY books because they were featured by someone on feed or story. This is, fortunately, one of them! One of my favorite accounts featured this ARC on her page and just gushed about how great it was. So, of course, I had to have it the minute it came out.

I am SO happy that I picked this one up, it may be one of my favorite contemp
Clephiro
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, ya
A Taxonomy of Love is a such a lovely book in many aspects, however, there were a lot of parts that just made me want to throttle the two main characters. Or at least lock them in a closet together so they could actually talk out their problems.

Spencer and Hope live next door to each other. Spencer has a crush on Hope, who, in his eyes, is the perfect girl. Hope and Spencer become friends and share in many experiences over their childhood and into their teenage years. At least until Hope begins
This is a sweet romance/coming of age/slice of life book that goes deeper into the idea of being an outsider/considered different. I loved the taxonomy pages- they were a great touch. Allen deftly navigated the balance of Tourette Syndrome being a prominent aspect of Spencer's (the main character's) life and a crucial component in how he has been shaped growing up, yet at the same time not making that what the novel is about. Oh and Hope was a great character. Even though we didn't get much from ...more
Stephanie
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every fan of YA needs to make this one a priority for 2018! The characters are dynamic and easy to become emotionally attached to. The story flows well despite the great span of time covered in just over 300 pages. I look forward to seeing 'A Taxonomy of Love' become a bestseller in the coming year.
Curtis
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Few stories have pulled me in so thoroughly as the journey of Spencer and Hope.

Fantastic writing coupled with a great story which spans the ups and downs of growth -- personal, interpersonal, and romantic -- through adolescence.

Read this book. ASAP.
Julia Frampton
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute read! A little fluffy and the characters - though drawn well - irritated me at times. I was inclined to give it one fewer star because of this, but I think this YA novel dealt with a lot of important issues in intriguing ways and I'm happy to know many young adults will be reading it!
Jinghay (TheSecretNoceur)
The majority of this book was just so frustrating and I honestly wanted to walk up to some of the characters and shake some sense into them like "Dude stop! You're going in a big circle again, just TALK to one another for once, pleaseeee? You're killing me over here!!"

But the epilogue kinda salvaged my rating from a 2 star to a 3.5
Vani
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
A Taxonomy of Love caught my attention right away! First, the title. I love it. The cover is adorable, and so apt. And the description of Spencer, our narrator, who has Tourette Syndrome (something I hadn’t seen in a book, and certainly not like this), and who is obsessed with the idea of classifications and taxonomies. I knew I would love it, and I did.

The Writing

here pulls off something I think can be super difficult, which is that through the one book the kids age quite a bit. At the start, S
Quick bio:
Rachael Allen lives in Atlanta, GA where she's working furiously on her PhD in neuroscience. When she's not doing science or writing YA, you can find her chasing after her toddler and her two sled dogs. Her debut YA novel 17 FIRST KISSES, is forthcoming from Harper Teen. Rachael may or may not have had 17 first kisses...luckily she doesn't kiss and tell.

More stuff about me:
- I love readi

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
“If telling someone you love them is a gift, then revoking that love is like cutting the tightrope out from under them. That's when the real falling begins.” 2 likes