Start by marking “The New Neighbors” as Want to Read:
The New Neighbors

The New Neighbors

What if your perfect home turned out to be the scene of the perfect crime?

Londoners Jack and Syd moved into the house a year ago. It seemed like their dream home: tons of space, the perfect location, and a friendly owner who wanted a young couple to have it.

So when they made a grisly discovery in the attic, Jack and Syd chose to ignore it. That was a mistake.

Because someon
Published April 10th 2018 by Berkley (first published August 17th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The New Neighbors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Neighbors

Start your review of The New Neighbors
Amalia Gavea
’This thing I’ve planned for so carefully: it has all gone drastically, horribly wrong.’’

Well, this proved to be a very difficult review for me to write. Not because I didn't like the book, obviously. I didn’t just ‘’like’’ it, I enjoyed it so much that I started composing bits and pieces of my review at around 50% mark. The ‘’problem’’ is that there are so many twists and turns and hidden secrets in the story that I was terrified I would slip up and spoil everything. So, this is going to b
Paromjit
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, netgalley
This is a wonderfully dark and twisted psychological thriller by Simon Lelic. It shifts and runs into unexpected places, different from the blurb given about the book. Jack has uncomfortable feelings about a London house that his girlfriend, Syd Baker, thinks is perfect for them. To their surprise, given they tendered a lower offer, the owner chooses them. When something is too good to be true, they should have been more wary, but they move in without a second thought. The previous owner has lef ...more
Maureen
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* 3.5 STARS*

When Jack and Syd buy their first home together in London, they feel like they've hit the jackpot. It's a big rambling old house, and although it needs lots of work, they got a really good deal because the owner wanted a young couple to have it, and accepted their lower bid. But you know the saying " If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is" Well that's certainly the case here!

Jack though, took an instant dislike to the house - he found it dark and creepy, and that was ev
Berit☀️✨
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, net-galley
4.5 Dark and Twisted Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟.5

This book was originally titled “The House“ I believe this is actually a more apt title...... this book is about Jack and Sid finding their dream house... a house really out of their price range.... yet unbelievably they get it..... at first they feel lucky although Jack is never quite sold on the house.... The house is also filled with all the possessions and furnishings of the previous owner... who moved to Australia and left his belongings behind.... at first
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(3.5) I haven't been very lucky with thriller so far this year but I'm very happy to say this one was worth the read!

The writing style won't be for everyone, it's very casual and mostly in the form of journal entries. However my main criteria for thrillers is to be surprise by at least some of the twist and.... I thought I knew what was what... I was wrong!

If you're looking for a book you won't want to put down, I recommend it!

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Holly  B

I do believe my expectations were too high.

The story begins with an intriguing scene that caught my interest right away, one of the characters declares “The thing I’ve planned so carefully has gone drastically, horribly wrong.”
The beginning was great and I loved set up of how a new couple Jack and Syd were shopping for their first home in London. Syd falls instantly in love with the house, while Jack has his reservations. The house was described as being abandoned by the owner who fled
Melisa
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley, thriller
This is a domestic/psychological thriller, heavier on the domestic side which kind of threw me for a loop.

I always love a dual perspective novel, and this one added another dimension - the first part of the story is told from journal entries and the conversational tone of the narrative was unique.

This one just went in a different direction than I was expecting, and I think that because my expectations weren’t met, I was a bit thrown. It is difficult, as an avid reader of this genre, to be surp
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A truly unique reading experience with some fantastic twists that had me up late finishing!!! See my full review on my blog!

When I first started to read The New Neighbors by Simon Lelic, I honestly didn’t know what to make of it! Lelic uses a really interesting style with this book, where for about the first 2/3 the two main characters are writing back and forth journal entries trying to explain what happened and what led them to the first big twist (no spoilers, sorry!). What was interesting, t
Miriam Smith
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed, kept-book
It's impossible to start this book and not become addicted to it instantly. The way the book is written - Jack and his girlfriend Syd, write their side of the story as a journal in alternating chapters - just intrigues you so much you have to keep reading. What is it about the house that's so troublesome? What's that smell? Who is Elise?
Admittedly I would have liked a little more 'goings on' with The House - since that's the title of the book - initially you believe that because there's a grisl
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Damn, this book was GOOD!

Fun fact about me first: I've been dying to crack into the suspense/thriller genre again for a long time now, so when I came across this book on NetGalley I had to put in a request for it and was elated to find that I was approved. It shot up my TBR list just because it fit the bill for what I was craving perfectly, and boy am I glad it did because Simon Lelic's prose alone was enough to keep me totally invested in this story from start to finish.

"When you're caught ins
Carrie
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Jack and Syd are a young couple that have been house hunting for quite a while and slowly losing hope that they will ever find something perfect for them. Jack isn't quite as excited over the latest showing that comes full of the previous owners cast offs but Syd is immediately taken with the property. When they agreed to put in an offer neither really thought it would accepted but now they find themselves moving into their new home.

After moving in the couple has their hands full trying to sort
Louise Wilson
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Syd moved into the house a year ago. Their dream home with tons of space, in the perfect location and a friendly owner who wanted a young couple to have it. But they find something grisly in the attic and they have chosen to ignore it. But now someone has been murdered outside their back donor.

The book is written in an exchange form by Jack and Syd and tells us about their background before they met, and their lives together now. There is a lot happens in this book. It gives off a creep
Beverly
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The author says he was inspired by many horror writers and I can see the inspiration without feeling that he is ripping them off. I liked the supernatural elements that the author puts in at the beginning, that nagging feeling you have that something isn't right. Things are pretty far from alright.

Sydney and Jack move into a new house and from the beginning they can't believe their luck, the house is much nicer than what they could afford. Jack has the intuition at first, quickly followed by Sy
Gary
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by author Simon Lelic but I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be looking out for more of his work to read.
When Londoners Jack and Syd move into their new house it seems like they have found their dream house, it has lots of space and situated in a perfect location and the friendly owner wanted the young couple to have it. So when they made a grisly discovery in the attic, Jack and Syd chose to ignore it.
This book is very entertaining and is narrated in the altern
Paul O'Neill
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
But that was a mistake. Because someone has just been murdered. Right outside their back door

Utterly riveting, cunningly written and bursting full of character.

The book follows Jack and Syd as they buy their first house, which is a strange deal and include all of the previous owners stuff. The story follows Jack and Syd as something terrible happens and a body is found just outside their house.

Above all, this story was about family. It made me realise that I'm extremely lucky with the caring f
Zuky the BookBum
I had heard some good things about this book so before I started it, I already had a reasonably high expectation of it. I went into it enjoying it, but that gradually went down and down and down. What I’m saying is, I didn’t love, or even really like this.

Mainly, it was the characters that ruined it this for me. Syd I didn’t like from the get-go. I thought she was selfish and always so hypocritical. She was allowed to act one way, but as soon as Jack began acting the same way she judged him for
Book of Secrets
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars → THE NEW NEIGHBORS is a dark and creepy thriller-ish novel about a couple whose "dream" home is anything but. The book ended up being so much more than what the blurb hinted at. It was deeper, more emotional, and more distressing! Told in a dual narrative, the story alternates between Jack and Syd, the new owners of this perfect London house that they seem to have come by too easily.

Much of their narrative is told in journal form, with Jack and Syd writing to each other - and to the
Dannii Elle
You can find my full review of this book and many others at United by Pop.

London is an ordeal for any young couple making the daunting first leap on to the property ladder. All the desirable future homes are unobtainable and, well, all the obtainable ones are undesirable. That's why it seemed too good to be true when late-twenties couple, Sydney and Jack, beat all the other prospective buyers for their dream home. But when it seems too good to be true, that usually means it is.

Purchasing their d
real bargains are few and far between. It’s just a question of how and when you’re made to pay.

It appears I'm in the minority with this one, which I find surprising. The synopsis is misleading making my expectations entirely different from what this novel actually was. I expected a dark, sinister mystery that would freak me out because I just became a homeowner myself. I thought the couple (Jack & Syd) would move in and a body would be right outside their back door, among other unsettling di
Lisa
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This is a debut novel by a very new talent Simon Lelic it is dark & twisted & takes a different turn from the beginning, I loved every minute & was a page turner no matter what I was doing I just had to get back to it ASAP, it was just one of those reads that you just wanted to know more about where the premise was going.

Syd Baker & Jack Walsh bought an apartment in London, Jack wasn't that comfortable with it as he felt a creepiness about it but Syd was so smitten with it, overgrown garden was
Nicki
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this riveting story is titled The House it does not in any way resemble The Girl Before nor is there any supernatural elements to the story.Yes the house is pivotal to the plot but this is a gripping human character based story that had me hooked from the first page and I honestly enjoyed reading a lot more than the afore mentioned book.

Syd and Jack have just moved into their forever home and are still struggling to get over the shock that out of all the people who where at the viewing
ReadAlongWithSue
Link to my blog

Every time someone asked me if I was enjoying the book I either said "Not much" or "Not really". Mostly they were avid reader friends like myself who already were part way through the book.
I love keeping folk guessing, sometime it makes them relook at the book or if they haven't read it, they go find out more about it. OK I'm a tease!!

At the beginning of the book though, I was getting into it find. Where Jack and Syd are viewing this house wit
Pauline
The House by Simon Lelic is a psychological thriller about abuse, lies and murder. I found this book hard to follow in parts as it was written as diary entries from two different people. The story had many twists and turns and kept me guessing until the end. I would like to thank NetGalley and Penguin Books UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Liz Barnsley
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Brilliant. This is how I like my psychological thrillers. Clever, twisted and unexpected.
Long wait for this one but seriously I had to read it now - fuller review nearer publication.
Katie B
Jack and Syd think they have found the perfect home. But after moving in the couple begin to keep secrets from one another. Jack discovers something in the attic and decides to keep Syd in the dark. Meanwhile Syd develops an interesting bond with a girl next door. When someone is murdered right outside their house, police keep their eyes on the couple. Can a relationship survive when you aren't quite sure if the person you love is capable of murder?

This was such a fun read for me but I can defin
Dennis
The New Neighbors is a deeply-rooted dark and devious thriller that will keep you guessing until the end. Jack and Sydney (Syd) are a modern couple in London looking to buy a house after saving everything they could in order to fulfill their dreams together. The duo attend an open house with their realtor, Evan, and immediately fall in love with this particular property. The house has more than enough space, is in a great area in London, and is around the price range that they are looking at ...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Moving into a house they never thought they would get.

Moving into a house with all the previous owner's things left inside.

Moving into a house and finding things that should not be there and hearing things.

Syd and Jack were excited to move into the house they actually got for a bargain, but things they didn't bargain for happened.

The neighbors were a bit odd as well.

THE NEW NEIGHBORS was difficult to connect with for me because of the writing style of the author. It was confusing when the chapte
Karen
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The marketing for this book was very intriguing. First in the post arrived a key, with a code to a website link which when unlocked, then showed details of the book. Genius!

The proof cover doesn’t give anything away so when I started reading I went in blind – and was very quickly hooked. The story is told by both Jack and Syd in turn, each recounting events and their thoughts as journal entries. Sometimes this format can be difficult to connect with but this was well done and worked well for me.
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I have a bad habit of not reading the synopsis of a book again before starting it. I'll read it once, request or buy the book, then it'll sit on my shelf for a bit. I don't read it again because I figure if I have it, it's something that I wanted. Quite frankly, it's fun to go in blind at times - like reading roulette! When I first started reading this, I was instantly hooked and was thinking, "ooOooOo, this seems like a really cool and eerie ghost story!" Then the further I read, "Wait, what? I ...more
☮Karen
Many thanks to NetGalley for a preview copy, and many apologies for the tardiness of my review. I don't know why I delayed my reading of this, but it was well worth the wait.

Jack and Sydney have purchased a house together, fulfilling a dream. The house was, shall we say, too good to be believed, with the deal they were given against other higher bidders. Almost as if a higher power wanted them in this house at this time. Creepy things start to occur, beginning with a discovery in the attic. Excu
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 3 14 Aug 14, 2018 06:57AM

• The Party
  • The Innocent Wife
  • Anything You Do Say
  • The Girl I Used to Be
Simon Lelic was born in 1976 and has worked as a journalist in the UK and currently runs his own business in Brighton, England, where he lives with his wife and two sons.