Start by marking “The Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Daughter

The Daughter

Seventeen years ago, something happened to Jess’s daughter Beth. The memory of it still makes her blood run cold. Jess has tried everything to make peace with that day, and the part she played in what happened. It was only a brief moment of desire… but she’ll pay for it w
Published January 24th 2018 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Daughter, please sign up.
Kim As Sarah said, there are very mature themes in this story. That being said if the child is well read and you have had discussions of death, suicide,…moreAs Sarah said, there are very mature themes in this story. That being said if the child is well read and you have had discussions of death, suicide, obsession and mental health .... than perhaps this book could be read by a mature 12 year old.
Has the child read other adult books? Jodi Picoult or Kristin Hannah
The language is probably not an issue, the curse words are there but not in excess. (less)

Berit☀️✨
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
4.5 intriguing stars🌟🌟🌟🌟.25

The beginning of this book is heart wrenching.... Jessica lives every mother‘s worst nightmare.... that phone call from the school, that your child has been rushed to the hospital.... this was brilliant on the authors part, it made Jessica such a sympathetic and relatable character.... I have to say Beth’s funeral was one of the toughest things I’ve read.... definitely have tissue handy.....

After Jessica loses her little girl she is encouraged to leave her home town, H
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'If I had told you about Simon, you would never have kept Beth at that school and she would be alive now.'

The confession burned silently in my mind. I closed my eyes; I was unable to look at him.

"We've lost our daughter - "

'She's almost certainly not your child.'

THE BLURB: You lost your daughter. You will never forgive yourself. And now someone's determined to make you pay…

Carrie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Daughter by Lucy Dawson is a psychological thriller that should come with a box of tissues with every book purchase. The first few chapters of this one take the reader back to a time when Jess was a happily married young mother to her little girl Beth.

After enrolling her daughter into a new school Jess has a blast from the past when the man she had loved at nineteen turns out to work at the school. This opens up a whole mess of secrets and lies but before Beth even gets a chance to wrap her
Dash fan
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5☆ Extremely Captivating, Emotional yet the perfect atmospheric Thriller!

The Daughter is a captivating, very emotional, chilling, endearing read that I literally couldn't put down.

When Jess's Daughter Beth tragically dies in a freak accident.
Her whole world is about to come tumbling down around her.
Secrets and lies have a way of catching up with you, as Jess is about to discover!

To what lengths will a family go to, in order to protect their family! Enter Jess's world to find out!

I am not able
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
description
🌟🌟🌟🌟1/2 STARS
ARC-Book Review
Release Date Jan 24th 2018

The Daughter (Kindle Edition) by Lucy Dawson is the first thing I have read by this author and this is a great psychological thriller that gripped me from the very start.
So I am trying to be as vague as possible with this review to avoid spoiling this thrilling piece of fiction as I feel explaining the plot too much will do just that, so I'm just going to give you my personal impressions of The Daughter.
So first, I wasn't aware of what was g
Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and the fabulous Bookoutre for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Part one of The Daughter is set in 1999. Twenty four year old Jess is married to Ben and they have one daughter called Beth. One morning Jess is in a hurry to take Beth to school, outside the schoolgate a woman cycles by and tells Jess that God loves Beth.

At break time Beth is playing with her best friend Cara when she dies instantly from a fall from a climbing frame. Before Beth was born J
Louise Wilson
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seventeen years ago, something happened to Jess's daughter Beth. Jess has tried everything to make peace with that day and the part she played in what happened. To distance herself from the mistakes of the past, Jess has moved away and started over with her family. But when terrifying things begin happening, Jess knows that her past has finally caught up with her.

This book will mess with your emotions at the start (have the tissues handy). The story starts again seventeen years later and Jess ha
Mandy White
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Lucy Dawson is a fantastic author! I was so excited to be approved for an early copy of this book to read and review in return for my honest opinions by Bookouture via Netgalley. This book certainly did not disappoint.

Something terrible happened to Jess' daughter Beth 17 years ago. Jess has moved away and started a new life but somebody is determined to make her life a living hell and expose all the secrets.

Such a great book with a twist that you won't see coming
Book Addict Shaun
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
The start of The Daughter was fantastic. It was chilling, emotional and extremely hard-hitting and one more chapter resulted in me reading it for ages before finally going to bed. I imagine it will be difficult for readers to not be affected somehow by the opening to this story.

Sadly, things only went downhill from there. Even though she had just lost her child, I disliked Jessica because I can’t feel sympathy for a woman who had an affair that resulted in her having a child that wasn’t her hus
Holly
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked this. After Jessica’s 5 year old daughter’s death, she faces uncertainty as she’s threatened to leave. She leaves her husband and her life behind but 17 years later her past comes to haunt her. Someone out there wants her to pay. I liked they mystery even though I kinda had it figured out but there were still some surprises. It kept me entertained and it helped me through my reading slump. I will definitely check more out by Lucy Dawson.

Rachel Gilbey
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
3 hours ago I started The Daughter, and I am now sitting here gasping for breath, having not been able to move or put my kindle down or acknowledge any part of the real world for those three hours as I read this completely addictive and unputdownable book.

The first part is very emotional, and shows just what depth Lucy Dawson has with her writing, I was almost in tears at parts of it, and then as the story moves up to to the present day, it becomes creepier and at no point are you really sure j
Eva
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seventeen years ago, something happened to Jess’s daughter Beth. Since the book description doesn’t give away what that is, I won’t either. Jess has since moved away but it seems the past has caught up with her once again and someone has decided Jess hasn’t yet been punished enough.

I am not known to be an emotional person (although these days, that’s rather debatable) but the beginning of this story is so utterly heartbreaking and devastating that it left me with a massive lump in my throat and
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: two-star
This book had such potential but was let down by a devastatingly bad narrative and over simplified dialogue. I actually enjoyed the first couple of chapters and was looking forward to finding out where the story would take me, but unfortunately the writing style began to annoy me and I felt the plot weaken the further I went along.

Conversations between characters were repetitive and read like a soap opera script as opposed to a psychological domestic thriller. I appreciate some artistic license
Chloe
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
When Jessica’s daughter Beth dies in a freak accident ,she walks away from her life and her loving husband. Seventeen years later she has rebuilt her life , is married again and has a two year old son . But when strange things start happening at her new house and old secrets start coming out in the open Jessica knows her past is coming back to haunt her

The Daughter is a compelling psychological tear jerker thriller by Lucy Dawson.It was easy to guess who the culprit but there were more twists a
Yellagirlgc
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Secrets can destroy lives as well as minds. Jessica Davies has too many secrets and they're big ones.
Dawn
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ecopy of this book by Kim at Bookouture in exchange for an honest review. This is something I'm more than happy to do.

Oh my giddy aunt - what an addictively captivating book, I read this on the last day of 2017 and was totally gripped, so much so I kept delaying getting ready to go out and celebrate the New Year. Just one more chapter......, the pages practically turned themselves.

Lucy Dawson certainly knows how to grab your attention. The story begins with a gut wrenching tragedy
Wendi Lee
After Jess' daughter (Beth) dies in a tragic accident, Jess walks away from her life and her loving husband. Seventeen years later, Jess has a happy new life, but what happened to Beth continues to haunt her. So when disturbing things begin to happen in Jess' home, she knows that someone is trying to hurt her family. But who, and most importantly, why?

There are a lot of secrets crammed into this psychological thriller, and lots of twists. I'm a mom, so I instantly empathized with Jess and worri
Linda Strong
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

Something tragic happens to Jess's daughter.

To distance herself from the guilt she feels, she starts over. With a new husband and a young son, she still tries to make peace with herself.

But someone doesn't want her to forget the mistakes she has made or forgive herself for them. They don't think she's suffered enough. Someone is terrifying her and her family.

The first chapters are a heart-wrenching, one tissue won't be enough, tearjerker. And then 17 years later the fright begins. Who would w
Wendi
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent!

I really enjoyed this book. Definitely one that grabs you on the first page and doesn't let go til the end.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because i figured out right away who was coming for Jessica. That being said, it did not make the book any less enjoyable. In fact there were many times i doubted myself.

The climax at the end didn't play out the way i was expecting it to. I was pleasantly surprised by the twist. I do have to say i feel the character of Natalia was poin
Pat
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Catch up time.

Okay, that was a bit creepy. 17 years ago Jess's young daughter Beth dies in freak accident that took place at school. Now all those years later Jess has moved on, remarried and had a young son. And then weird stuff starts to happen that links to her past. It seems that someone is out to get Jess, to make her suffer. But who? And why?
Nicki
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Well,after reading the other reviews of this book,I can definitely say that I am in the minority here.The synopsis and tag line sounded really promising but by the time I had finished reading it I just felt rather disappointed.Where was the shocking twist that I was promised and as for the ending,that just caused me to sigh and roll my eyes in exasperation at a certain characters behaviour.I also didn't like the main protagonist Jessica very much therefore I felt no connection or sympathy for he ...more
Farshana
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vr-lib
A story that should come with a warning that if you are a mother, it would rip you to pieces. The first few chapters got me teary-eyed and that is happening after really a long time so for only that, this book deserves all the 5*. Jessica's character is someone you can relate to, coz even when she's lying her reasons are from a kind heart. If like me you have read a lot of thrillers, the twist can be guessed at but the author simply manages to bring in another twist that leaves us astounded. I d ...more
Joanne Robertson
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a few books by Lucy Dawson before but her move to Bookouture has obviously brought out the best in her because The Daughter is my absolute favourite book of hers so far! It messed with my emotions from that horrific opening prologue to that very last paragraph both of which made me a blubbing, snotty mess!!

Anyone who has children, or who works with them, will be struggling to hold back the tears as the first few chapters detail what exactly happened to Beth. I don’t want to go into any
Lady Delacour
This was an interesting story,
but... something was lacking.
It just does slide in as a 3.
Listened with TTS
Not Clean. Foul Language.
Shalini
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book of heartbreak twisted in deep with mystery. A mother feeling the loss of her child deep in the marrow, always and forever, the pain bleeding out, sometimes expected, sometimes totally unexpected. A husband, an affair, a mistake, a threat, and a new life. But past seeping slowly into the present, like the eerie claustrophobic fog, creepy and sinuous, attacking the lives, winding its way around, till it starts choking and attacking them all

The atmosphere is wild, the roads are twisted, the
Shawna P.
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley-read
Warning...go into this book knowing you may be crying the first few chapters. Seventeen years ago, a tragedy occurred to Jess's five year old daughter Beth. Is Jess to blame? Jess starts a new life away from the painful memories and has a new family now, but soon her past seems to catch up to her.

This book had me turning the pages and I finished it in warp speed. The back story was the most interesting to me, because it could completely happen. This review is short and sweet and the only reason
Claire Watson
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Daughter is the first book I’ve read by Lucy Dawson and I loved it!! I read it in around a day as I found the really hard to put down.

The book begins seventeen years ago when something horrible happens to Jess’s daughter Beth. Now, years later, the memory still makes Jess’s blood in cold. But terrifying things start happening in Jess’s new home - are they connected to what happened to Beth?

This book draws you in from the first page and has some excellent twists and turns. A fabulous read tha
Shell Baker
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I clapped eyes on the cover I knew I had to read this book....what a cover. This is the first book that I have read by Lucy Dawson and now I am left wondering why on earth haven't I read any of her books before The Daughter is simply brilliant, Absolutely mind blowing and gripping stuff I flipping loved it.

Those of you that follow my reviews will know that I am a massive fan of psychological thrillers and this book is certainly that. I was hooked from start to finish with a brill
Denise
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read most of Lucy Dawson's earlier books, I was eagerly anticipating this latest release from her new publisher Bookouture and it did not disappoint.
Lucy’s writing is so addictive and throughout I constantly wanted to discover more. I whizzed through it in a couple of nights as I could not put down.
The Daughter is brilliantly written with an amazingly gripping storyline that will keep you guessing right until the end.
There’s only one of Lucy's books I haven’t yet read but will be doing
Michael
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Daughter is an interesting book with an interesting premise, but I don't think you can call it straight up a straight up suspense thriller despite there being moments where it does follow the pattern. It's a novel filled with emotion, and decisions that no one should be forced to make especially after losing a child. When you have a book like this it's easy to latch onto a specific theme to hook your readers, and toward the last half of the book we find Dawson switching gears a bit and hit ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Keep Her Safe
  • The Warning
  • Little Liar
  • A Mother’s Sacrifice
  • The Child Next Door
  • Spare Me the Truth (Dan Forrester #1)
  • Lies Between Us
  • I Know You
  • Day of the Accident
  • Finding Lucy
  • The Family at Number 13
  • Broken Faith (Kingmaker, #2)
  • The Pact
Lucy studied Psychology at Warwick University before becoming a children’s magazine editor. Her first bestselling book – His Other Lover – was published in 2008. Since then she has published four other novels and her work has been translated into numerous other languages. She lives in Exeter with her husband and children. Lucy finds writing in the third person uncomfortable.