Start by marking “Murder is a Dirty Business” as Want to Read:
Murder is a Dirty Business

Murder is a Dirty Business

(Grime Pays)

Between hot flashes and divorce papers, a middle-aged woman reconsiders her outlook on life when she butts heads with a hot detective during a murder investigation.

Published November 15th 2017 by Soul Mate Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Murder is a Dirty Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder is a Dirty Business

Mary Brown
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder Is A Dirty Business
Grime Pays, Book #1
Tricia L. Sanders
5 Stars

Synopsis:

When Cece Cavanaugh’s husband empties their joint bank account, steals her designer luggage, and runs off with a younger woman, Cece must decide whether to ask her manipulative mother-in-law for a handout or get a job. Choosing the easier path, Cece lands a job cleaning a crime scene where a high school coach was murdered. When his wife is implicated—a young woman Cece practically raised—Cece finds herself mopping floo
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This is a brand new cozy series and I think it is going to be a winner!

As the author's website says, she writes books about women with class, sass, and a touch of kick-ass, and Murder is a Dirty Business and the main character, Cece Cavanaugh, definitely fit that description.  Cece finds out at the beginning of this story that her husband is leaving her for a younger woman.  To top it off, he has cleaned out the bank accounts and she has nothing to her name but a huge house that is six months be
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Cece isn’t going to break despite all fate has thrown at her including her cheating husband and lack of funds. She’s get a job as a crime scene cleaner and is on the trail of a killer. I love this story! Cece is a character that I instantly loved. All hell has broken loose in her life and she takes it with a things will get better attitude.

FULL REVIEW http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
LuAnn
What must that mother-in-law be like for a job cleaning up a murder scene be the preferential choice? And the icing on that particular cupcake is that the #1 suspect is someone you watched grow up? How's that for your job taking over your life?

And after what Cece's husband did, I can totally understand her butting heads with the police detective (another man telling her what to do). Can you imagine fighting an attraction to someone who aggravates you as well? When you walk away from that person,
Meg Gustafson
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully Refreshing Cozy Mystery!
CeCe is one of my new favorite heroines! A woman of an older age than most protagonists, I can relate well to her as well as sympathize with all she is going through. Her husband has left her for a younger woman, drained her bank account, left her in financial ruin. With one older daughter and a teenager, CeCe needs to bite the bullet and find a job. Before she even begins her new job, she finds herself involved with a murder investigation to help her daughter
Cindy
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked better than most

Best cozy I’ve read in a while. Well plotted and twists add to the flavor. Mature, nosy lady bumbles to aid cops w/o appreciation from them. Start of an interesting series. Keep’n watch... Recommended.
Ravenna Young
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this in every way

Sometimes I just need a good mystery and this hit all my check boxes. Cece is a character I can relate to; she's sassy, loyal, flawed, and prepared to do whatever it takes to survive her failed marriage--hot flashes be damned! There was a lot happening in this story, but everything wove together, making it the perfect page turner. Lots of mystery, heartache, and some laughs...read it.
Susan Berger
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book combines mystery, humor and women's fiction in one delightful recipe.What a wonderful debut. I love the characters and I didn't guess who did it until the end.I welcome a wonderful new talent in the vein of Jill Churchill and Joan Hess.
Jenn Z at That's What She's Reading
You can find all of my reviews on my blog at That's What She's Reading .

I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest and thoughtful review.

I have always had an interest in reading books or watching programs about crime scenes, especially from the coroner's or medical examiner's perspective. Recently, I watched a short documentary about a crime scene cleanup company and went down the rabbit hole of videos available on YouTube. When this book showed up featuring this unique p
Sherry Lynn
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always really enjoy it when I get into the beginning of a new series! It is refreshing meeting all the characters from the beginning!

Murder Is A Dirty Business is chock full of fun characters that I expect will likely be a big part of this series.

Cece the main character just gets to you. I don't think I could have handled all the drama layed on her by the cheating husband
with near as much elegance and style. Cece can keep her mouth shut when need be. And steps up to the plate to provide for
Krystyna
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The downtrodden wife gets a backbone

Loved it. Great plot and written with some much understanding of how a woman feels after years of marriage, being dumped and left penniless with children. Wonderful characters and it's great to see the transformation of the main character into a confident woman n that her overbearing husband trampled into the ground by not letting her make any decisions during their marriage.
Being dumped after years of marriage was one thing, hearing that he had cleared out
Jerri Cachero
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Cece Cavanaugh finds her cushy life gone, along with her cheating husband, their joint bank account and a home that is heading toward foreclosure, this country club regular shows what she's made of and in the process solves a murder!

Cece knows how to survive - few know the hardships she experienced growing up - most think she's a fragile, pampered wife. In order to keep her children taken care of and keep their home, she becomes a crime scene cleaner. She was an ER nurse for 10 years, so bl
Maggie H
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder is a Dirty Business is an enjoyable adventure into the life of Cece Cavanaugh. I found myself cheering Cece on in her personal strife and her mystery-solving efforts while at the same time saying “Cece, don’t do that . . . drat you did that!” I found that the story had enough twists and unanswered questions to keep me fully engaged throughout. It’s a delightful read when you want to get lost in an adventure. I can see Cece pursuing her mystery-solving skills in another episode, maybe even ...more
Jeanie Jackson
Cozy Chick Mystery

What a great week this has been for discovering series and I love! I was not a fan of Cece's in the beginning but even then I was drawn into the story and into her life, and it didn't take long for me to become a full fledge fan. A blend of cozy mystery and chick lit, Murder Is a Dirty Business hits all the notes for both genre . I quickly came to admire Cece and rooted for her as she juggled a new and not altogether pleasant career and an amateur murder investigation. A cheati
Laura Reading
Cece Cavanaugh learns that not only is her vacation to Italy canceled but it seems her marriage vows are now null and void as well. Her husband has a new playmate, has emptied their bank accounts, failed to pay the mortgage and is headed to Rio, leaving Cece to explain to their daughters.
Before she has a chance, her eldest daughter is involved in a murder.
Cece is a problem solver. She has enjoyed the life of a trophy wife for many years but now it is time she step up, pull her head out of the cl
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, light mystery. Cece is facing life on her own after her jerk husband up and leaves her. Struggling to make ends meet and maintain her relationship with her teenage and grown daughters while dodging the judgment and interference of her wicked mother-in-law, CeCe finds herself cleaning crime scenes. Soon she finds she's in the middle of a murder investigation herself, one that may implicate her oldest daughter and her daughter's closest friends. And then she finds herself with a com ...more
Melissa Castor
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! This was a new author to me. CeCe Cavanaugh's husband suddenly leaves her for another woman leaving her with an empty bank account and a mortgage that's behind. With one grown daughter and a teenager, she is forced to find a job. She takes a job that turns out to be cleaning crime scenes. When her older daughter's friend's husband is murdered, CeCe gets involved investigating to clear her daughter's friend. Truly enjoyable book and I look forward to reading more books ...more
Jeanne Felfe
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first ever cozy mystery. I wanted to know what the genre was all about and picked this one because I'd met the author. I found it entertaining and it kept my attention. It seemed to follow the convention I'd been told in a class were called for by readers of this genre.

There were enough clues and red herrings to keep me guessing until the amateur sleuth revealed what she thought had happened. And it was so well done that I believed it, even though it hadn't been the right answer.

I ca
Valya Mobley
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snarky Cece Cavanaugh was my new best friend as I followed her through the turmoil of her philandering husband, the subsequent advances of aspiring male admirers, the drama of two strong-willed daughters, and a new career path all while solving a murder. I savored the antics of this believable, resilient, sharp-witted accidental sleuth and her gal pal cop friend Angie late into several evenings. Humorous quotes from the characters open each chapter. I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of ...more
Bonnie Gill
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute Cozy with a surprising ending.
I really enjoyed getting to know Cece and her crew. Cece is a go getter. I liked that when her creepy husband left, she didn’t sit around and lick her wounds. No, this woman got out and took whatever job she could to make ends meet.
Cece is a very likable character. So are her children and her neighbor. I’m hoping there’s a next one because I want to find out more about the sexy detective.
The mystery was a mystery up until the end. I really didn’t see that one
Judith Post
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book offered more than just a good, solid mystery. Characters were well portrayed with layers and surprises. Initial impressions often proved wrong. Even better, the protagonist had a realistic relationship with her grown daughter and her teenage daughter--who often gave her grief. I wasn't a fan of the short, opening chapter blurbs, but that's just me. The gum chewing receptionist/secretary offered some comic relief and Cece made a good protagonist. More than just fun. It had depth, too.
Dixie Dart
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found myself thinking about characters in "Murder is a Dirty Business" every time I paused reading.
Cece's adventures navigating through her life changing personal circumstances and crime solving on the side are both entertaining and thought provoking. Author has a wonderful way of painting each character and making me want to learn more. Laugh out loud funny in an engaging, subtle way. Enjoyed immensely and looking forward to the next one.
Kathryn Symank
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love mysteries - especially when they are light, easy reads with threads of humor running throughout. The author was able to paint vivid pictures that made me feel I was right there with CeCe, the main character. The book completes a story but not necessarily her story. There are indications we will see more of CeCe and her small town of Wickford, Missouri. **I received a free copy for an honest review**
Pat Wahler
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't typically read cozy mysteries, but this one grabbed my attention from the first chapter, as a feisty forty-something year old woman gives new meaning to the notion of re-inventing herself. With humor sprinkled into the story along with clues, CeCe Cavanaugh proves it takes more than a cheating husband to keep a good woman down.
Cyrene Olson
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uncaged Review: This book has a very funny and entertaining storyline. Cece finds herself struggling to make a living after her husband drops a bombshell on her. I found the concept the author makes with this book very gripping and insightful. I’m really hoping this is only the beginning of Cece and her adventures patiently awaiting what happens next.
Reviewed by Jennifer
Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑
Well I this book just really was not for me. I felt I had to skim to the good parts, of course Phillip was a A-hole. I am just glad I got through it. I can't say that it was a bad book, just not my cup of tea.
Sarah Whitney
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Smart, sassy read that pairs well with your favorite glass of wine.

CeCe felt like my best girlfriend by the end of the book. I loved rooting for her and can't wait til the next book.
Sandra Kilpatrick
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced mystery for a lazy afternoon

This book was fast-paced with a fun plot and interesting characters. I enjoyed the book very much. Good mystery novel for a lazy afternoon.
Dianne Prinster
This book had me captivated from the first chapter. Following Cece Cavanaugh thru the ups and downs of her life had me laughing and crying with her at the same time. Thought I knew who the murderer was, but no, not me, totally surprised me. Can't wait for this author's next book!
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
5 Cranky Stars

CeCe Cavanaugh seems to have it all: a loving husband, well behaved children, the perfect house, and a membership to the club. Until one day, her husband decides to leave her for a much younger woman. A murder close to their family, has CeCe determined to prove a loved one’s innocence.

CeCe goes through tremendous growth throughout this story. She went from spoiled queen to a kick butt woman who will do whatever it takes to survive. She proved that in the first couple of pages. The