Start by marking “Software Design X-Rays: Fix Technical Debt with Behavioral Code Analysis” as Want to Read:
Software Design X-Rays: Fix Technical Debt with Behavioral Code Analysis

Software Design X-Rays: Fix Technical Debt with Behavioral Code Analysis

Are you working on a codebase where cost overruns, death marches, and heroic fights with legacy code monsters are the norm? Battle these adversaries with novel ways to identify and prioritize technical debt, based on behavioral data from how developers work with code. And that’s just for starters. Because good code involves social design, as well as technical design, you c ...more
Published February 10th 2018 by Pragmatic Bookshelf

To ask other readers questions about Software Design X-Rays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Software Design X-Rays

Jo
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-learning
Oh my. It's been a while since I read a technical book this quickly.

The book's premise is simple: every software company is sitting on a veritable gold mine of data that remains largely untapped. This gold mine could guide you to hotspots in your software that are costing you money. It reveals where architectural choices made in the past are hindering daily work today. It can highlight collaboration problems across teams. It might even act as a virtual team member that alerts you when things sta
Sebastian Gebski
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review based on beta version (B2.0 if I remember correctly).

I wasn't a fan of previous Adam's book ("Your code as a crime scene"), but fortunately this one is significantly better. It's focused on a very interesting (& in fact - quite unique) concept of getting insights regarding software's quality (various kinds of technical debt) not from static analysis of the code but from patterns in the changes that have occurred to the codebase over the period of time.

My initial reaction wasn't very e
Artur Skowroński
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I consider first part as far better than the second, such an analytic approach to the code was really refreshing or even enlighting experience.

Many of the technical are really actionable, and focus on techniques not tools is definitely most interesting part of this publication.
Johnny Graber
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book about how to understand code without spending too much time reading it. If you are interested in the big picture this book will be a great help. It explains in great detail how you can use Git to find out what part of your code change often, who changed it, which parts need attention and offer themselves as a good starting point for refactoring.

With all the commands and ideas on how to visualize them, you can go and use those tricks in your own projects. It is surprisingly easy and
Riley Holmes
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I have not worked on a really large project before so have not experienced the kinds of growing pains / bottlenecks discussed here. But I really liked the methods presented for reading the version control history to find problematic pieces of code. I hope to revisit and use these techniques eventually if an appropriate situation arises.
Elliott Beach
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Justin
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
Software Desgin X-Rays reads like 1/3 behavioral psychology, 1/3 git man page, and 1/3 technical paradigm introduction. It manages to eloquently and concisely introduce the idea that technical debt it a human rather than a technical problem, explain the interplay among various actors (programmers in this case), and provide a detailed set of instructions to visualize said interplay and technical debt.

Reading this made me realize how little I understand of the codebase lifecycle and the various de
Bugzmanov
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Between 3 and 4. It’s somewhat repetitive. And I couldn’t get more info out of this book after reading the first half.
Bibliography was definitely my favorite part. It mentions some awesome papers I was completely unaware of.
Lassi Autio
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It describes a whole new way to analyze code bases, with the help of git. You will find a new view on technical debt and how to find the most expensive technical debt and fix it.
I wrote a blog post about the book: https://lassiautio.wordpress.com/2018...
Mattias Lundell

• Understanding the Four Rules of Simple Design
  • Refactoring: Ruby Edition, Adobe Reader
  • Scalability Rules: 50 Principles for Scaling Web Sites
  • More Programming Pearls: Confessions of a Coder
  • Software Architecture for Developers: Volume 1 - Technical leadership and the balance with agility
  • SQL Antipatterns
  • Functional and Reactive Domain Modeling
  • Domain Modeling Made Functional: Tackle Software Complexity with Domain-Driven Design and F#
  • The Leprechauns of Software Engineering
  • BDD in Action: Behavior-driven development for the whole software lifecycle

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »