Start by marking “Nepantla: An Anthology Dedicated to Queer Poets of Color” as Want to Read:
Nepantla: An Anthology Dedicated to Queer Poets of Color

Nepantla: An Anthology Dedicated to Queer Poets of Color

In 2014, Christopher Soto and Lambda Literary Foundation founded the online journal Nepantla, with the mission to nurture, celebrate, and preserve diversity within the queer poetry community, including contributions as diverse in style and form, as the experiences of QTPOC in the United States. Now, Nepantla will appear for the first time in print as a survey of poetry by ...more
Published January 1st 2018 by Nightboat Books

To ask other readers questions about Nepantla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nepantla

Allison
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, antiracism
Gorgeous, necessary poems about resilience, about sex, about having fun, about struggling. I'm so grateful this anthology exists and I can return to it whenever I need.
Kurt Ostrow
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Lick my butt & call your mother, she misses you.
Flea-dip the cat & luck my butt.
Recycle & lick my butt.”
— from Justin Chin, “Lick My Butt”

“Fuck your order. Fuck your time. I realigned the cosmos. I chaises all the hell you have yet to feel. Now all your kids in the classrooms, they confused. All the clocks: wrong. They don’t even know what the fuck to do.”
— from Fatimah Asghar, “Pluto Shits on the Universe”

“dykes reminds me of Indians
like Indians dykes
are supposed to die out
or for
Jared Levine
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here are reasons to sing, to shiver, to cry, to snap, to bark, to love, to feel—in resonance. Words to keep near your pillow, and to read on the train, and to keep on your tongue.
EVERY
POEM
HERE
IS
GOOD

love Jared, City Lights Bookseller
Dina
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Raw, heartfelt, and beautiful. The anthology included a wide variety of poets/poetry that covers different sentiments and experiences (parents, coming out, sexuality, homophobia and racism, solidarity, small pleasures, nature, joy and sorrow) allowing any reader to see themselves in it. It was moving and I felt seen. And even if a reader can’t relate, it introduces new and unique experiences—making it a great read for QPOC and non-QPOC. The poetry is sincere and moving and I couldn’t get enough ...more
Mary Vermillion
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
This is what intersectionality looks like! I can't wait to teach this gorgeous & powerful anthology in my LGBTQ literature course.

Although the book includes poems from writers I love (Harjo, Baldwin, Lorde, Hughes, Jordan, Giovanni, Blanco, Cullen, Hayden, Cullen), I'm most excited about all the poets I want to get to know better.

It's hard to choose a favorite poem out of so many gems, but given what is happening on our border, I'm going to share an excerpt from Rigoberto Gonzalez's list p
Dee
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this anthology. Some poems and poets were familiar to me; others were not. The words in the pages left me feeling thrilled, scared, energized, romantic.
Kamlyn Y
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer-literature
To anyone interested in queer authors, authors of color, poetry... I urge you to read this book. There are so many different poems and authors that everyone is bound to get something out of it. Some of the poems I didn't really understand and others I loved- but it opened my mind so much that it was definitely worth it. Some of the poems were so incredibly touching, and I learned about many new activists and authors who I wouldn't have known about otherwise.
Definitely a 5/5 star read.
Theodor Östervall
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book contains some of the best poems I’ve read. And even the poems that don’t leave you breathless with their brilliant use of words, leave you with something to think about, a new perspective. This is definitely not the last time I read this book. Recommended to anyone who has even a passing interest in poetry.
Love
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really enjoyed most of the poems in this book. I read this book sort of on and off again, finishing the last chunk in two days. I loved the collection of poems, but might have rearranged the order. This is a great starting point if someone's interesting in exploring more literature by queer poets of color. I definitely found some authors I'm going to pick up next.
alise
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I did not read all of the poems just only around half the book all together that I was assigned. I just didn’t connect, or really feel for the poetry. Some of them l, for some reason, I was lost. The concept of the collection is great, though.
Jackie
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
incredible! anthology! holy! shit!!!! so many poets i love are in this and discovering so many new ones!!!"
Jenny