Start by marking “Tin House: Fantastic Women” as Want to Read:
Tin House: Fantastic Women

Tin House: Fantastic Women (Tin House #33)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  174 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

Tin House has become a forerunner of brilliant and fresh contemporary fiction, and this astonishing collection captures some of the most promising literary voices writing today. The anthology includes tastes of Aimee Bender's surreal aesthetic, Miranda July's charming and quirky prose, and Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum heart-stopping and lyrical style. Edited by virtuoso novelist

Published September 28th 2007 by Tin House Magazine

To ask other readers questions about Tin House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tin House

Kara
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The stories in this book are super hit or miss. Some high highs but then some pretty low lows.
Sara
Dec 16, 2007 added it
Wow is the content quality inconsistent. It probably hurts that I'm not a big fan of fantasy/sci fi most of the time. The Budnitz, Bynum, Elliot, and Link stories were the best, but many of the others are positively inscrutable. I like eccentric and I like whimsical, but in small doses and these ladies are not subtle. Then again, this is probably not meant to be read all in one go, but dipped into over time. However, Moody's essay on Angela Carter was worth the "price of admission" alone, but I ...more
Mikey
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Some excellent stories and some mediocre stories. But what I couldn't get past was the utterly bizarre alphabetical by last name sequencing. Perhaps there is some misguided kumbaya or quasi-cooperative notion in there, but really, what a waste. It's the job of an anthology editor to sequence the stories in a way that itself tells a story. Or at least creates some sort of rhythm or sense of dynamics or ripple of echoed themes, characters, or objects. While I imagine the alpha by author sequencing ...more
Lindsay
Jan 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lindsay by: Dan
I confess I did not read through this entire volume. I will echo what many others have offered: the selection here is very inconsistent. I somewhat enjoyed to loved: Jane Avrich, Aimee Bender (always), Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum, Mary Caponegro, Julia Elliott, Samantha Hunt, Miranda July, Kelly Link, Lydia Millet, Alissa Nutting, Paisley Rekdal, Stacey Richter, Gina Zucker, and the Rick Moody essay on Angela Carter. The rest I found kinda boring or too muddled and glossed over. Still, this was a good ...more
Pamster
Nov 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Love the incredible cover enough to frame it. Love the stories by faves like Kelly Link and Shelley Jackson and Samantha Hunt, as well as the ladies I've meant to read and finally did here, like Lucy Corin and Rikki Ducornet. Maybe most of all loved Rick Moody's piece on his teacher and friend Angela Carter.
Don
Nov 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
My love for this collection started off strong, but was nearly obliterated 2/3 of the way though with a couple of stories that I just couldn't get through. Still, the stories that worked, worked wonderfully, and my faith in the collection was restored by the last couple of stories. I'm very glad I stuck it out!
Amanda
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic, fresh, and original. Not only is it totally entertaining, but there are lots of experiments with voice and narrative. Entertainment and experimentation do not often walk hand in hand. I'm inspired! And I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fabulous fabulist fiction.

Wheeee!
Tara
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like elements of the fantastic embedded in realism
I love it when writers play with conventional genres and narratives, and mix them up, make them unsual and fun and unexpected. That Angela Carter was memorialized in this volume made it even more awesome. This is my favorite Tin House so far.
Chris
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
This 2007 special issue of Tin House features women writers who are fantastic both in style and content. The collection can serve as a valuable introduction to the "genre" that resists characterization or a sweet indulgence in other worlds.
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
i haven't quite finished this but i dunno, i'm not very impressed. aside from aimee's story and a couple of other pieces, this felt just too much like weird for weird combined with a serious lack of "entertaining."
Lizzy
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I didnt have a chance to read all of the pieces in this journal, but the ones I did read were excellent--brave, unusual and thought-provoking. ...more
Iris
Mar 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Most of the poetry was mediocre. Some of the stories were stunning, gripping, refreshing page-turners, and at least one I could not make it through.
Jessemy
Apr 08, 2016 added it
Shelves: tried-it
Skimmed it
Kimber
May 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Stories are hit or miss, but a lovely collection.
Anne Ishii
Feb 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Great anthology so far. Lots of stuff about marriage though.
Syreeta McFadden
Nov 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
interesting collection. have some issues with selection.
Christie Hinrichs
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lit-mags
Amy Bender's story knocked my socks off.
Billy
May 08, 2008 is currently reading it
Reading this inspired me to get involved with Tin House.
R.A.
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
There were several writers featured who I consistently enjoy. But I didn't like the stories that were selected for this collection. There are other stories by these women that are better.
Jl
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this installment from 'tin house' featured nearly ALL of my favorite modern female writers and the art of the lovely Julie Heffernan. a kind of bible for me that i am always reading.
Katie
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
Had high hopes, was turned off by the whimsical silliness of most of the stories. Stopped before I got to Kelly Link, so I'll have to open this again someday.
Paul
  • PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2010
  • Sweet Tomb
  • Attempts at a Life
  • The To Sound
Aimee Bender is the author of the novel An Invisible Sign of My Own and of the collections The Girl in the Flammable Skirt and Willful Creatures. Her work has been widely anthologized and has been translated into ten languages. She lives in Los Angeles.
More about Aimee Bender...

Tin House (1 - 10 of 64 books)
  • TIN HOUSE, Premiere Issue, Volume 1, Number 1
  • Tin House: The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll (Volume 1, Number 2)
  • Tin House Magazine (The Willies Edition) (Volume 2)
  • Tin House: Psychedelic (Volume 3 No. 3)
  • Tin House (Gimme Shelter, #14)
  • Tin House: The Sex Issue (Spring, 2003)
  • Tin House (Squatters) (Volume 5)
  • Tin House: The shock of the New, vol 22