Start by marking “22 Scars” as Want to Read:
22 Scars

22 Scars

Raised with apathy and spite, Amy’s life is a monotonous drone of deep despair, broken only by coffee and nights out with her best—and only—friend. She battles depression daily, fighting to keep her sanity in a world that, to her, is set on destroying her soul.

Her future is bleak, overcast with shadow and doubt; her past harbors terrible secrets that even those closest to
ebook
Published October 28th 2017 by Christopher North

To ask other readers questions about 22 Scars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 22 Scars

Start your review of 22 Scars
Julie Parks
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
This book deserves 5 stars for originality alone.

I initially requested it through NetGalley but their file didn't work, and after reading the Amazon Sample I actually bought the Kindle version. It's that good!

It reads a lot like The New Yorker for YA. And the depression is approached internally not only externally on the screen - as in, while you're reading, you're pretty much feeling as confused and disoriented and unsure of anything as Amy herself.

Many will scorn that. I think in today's liter
S-Reads
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author through Voracious Readers*

*Trigger Warning - This book mentions, self-harm, suicide and rape*

This is a unique portrayal of a characters journey through the struggles she experiences in her life, and the emotions and thoughts she grapples with every day. The novel is brilliant in a subtle way, focusing primarily on understanding and developing the character of Amy, through events in her life, but also he lives of her parents.

The begin
Vesper Vesper
Jun 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf

See this review and more by clicking the logo!

Upon seeing 22 Scars on NetGalley and VRO, I was really interested in seeing what this author would do with a story regarding such an emotional and sensitive subject like depression, self-harm, and more. Having been a victim of both depression and self-harm, I requested it in hopes to find a book that will help open up people's eyes to the mental illness while providing an emotional story.

Unfortunately, this book didn't live up to my expectations
Karen • The Book Return
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more on my blog.The Book Return Blog
I received this book for free from Author (via YA Books Central) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Amy leads a tortured life. She has a monster for a father and a distant mother. Amy self-harms and has suicidal tendencies. Then tragedy in her life leads her in a dangerous direction.

'22 Scars' highlights  mental illness in teenagers. With recent events, I think a young
Katie Paradis
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of the book from the author via Voracious Readers Only in exchange for an honest review.

That hit me right in the childhood. And boy did it hit hard. I did not go into this expecting personal flashbacks like that. At one point, I had to put it down and step away, just to get out of that headspace. It's intense.

The descriptions are spot-f*king-on. From the depression-ache to the.... "parenting", I felt like I was reading a book about my past. Memories I'd buried we
Laura Henderson
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel seems to be more character driven rather than plot driven which is fine, however the character driven aspect was kind of slow. I felt that sometimes it was hard to discern what Amy was really thinking at times. Also note that the book is hard to get into at first, however later on the book does pick up. Not a one click read but still glad i read this book. The mental health side of this book was very well done. I've read a lot of books were manic depression/suicidal thoughts and tende ...more
megan ♡
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recieved a free copy of this ebook from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This was a novel which dealt with some very serious issues and fortunately did so in a sensitive manner. It was cautious, engaging, informative and the characters were very intriguing to read about. I enjoyed my time reading this, although it was about a very dark subject.
Amii Morrison
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given this ARC from Voracious Readers for an honest review.
TRIGGER WARNING ** This novel deals with depression, suicide, mental and physical abuse as well as rape. If any of these are a trigger for you, please do not read this book.

This novel was really good. I felt like I knew Amy and everything she was going through. I could feel her pain and all I wanted to do was help her.

There are to different storylines that come together in the end. You do not know that until you start reading a ch
Amanda Cole
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a person who has struggled with mental problems my whole life, this was hard to read. I like the way it educates the reader on depression and shows that many people throughout the world have it. Very emotional. Will stay with you for a while.
Danielle
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I got a free ebook copy of this from voraciousreadersonly.com in exchange for an honest review, and quite honestly I feel weird giving this such a low rating compared to the other reviews. There wasn't a ton of plot, which was fine. Some books are great at just being character driven rather than plot driven, but usually then you get a deep dive into what the character was thinking at all times. This book didn't really go there - at least for Amy - until the end.

Also, it felt kind of disjointed.
Diana
Sep 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
It felt like a manuscript or an early concept, like the ideas were written but needed to be organized and completed into a book.
I'm learning to accept that sometimes in life we will not get an answer to the question "Why?" And maybe that was the point here; we're not suppose to know what happened we just need to accept it. But, unfortunately, because of that I never cared about any of the characters we never really get to know any of them, we're just dropped into the story and expected to keep u
Keyona Lopez
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book just because I could relate to this topic so much. I did enjoy the journal entries because it reminded me of my journaling and my blog but the overall book just did nothing for me. It transitioned poorly between characters, it didn’t all tie together until the end and I just felt like it lacked a true plot.
Georgina Power
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
⚠️⚠️⚠️Trigger Warning, this novel includes rape, depression, self harm, attempted suicide, mental and physical abuse and suicide, some scenes are very descriptive so can be quite upsetting to read ⚠️⚠️⚠️
❗I received a complimentary copy of this novel from the author through Voracious Readers for an honest review❗

So 22 scars was a novel I was very excited to read, and I did find myself engrossed and more understanding towards young adults and their life experiences. We follow Amy going through a s
Katie Lacombe
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a part of the Voracious Readers book club.

I was really excited about this book when I read the description. I work in the mental health field, so I was interested to see how this author depicted depression and all the crazy emotions of high school. I think for me, it did a good job of showing how dark life can be for someone suffering from depression.

Overall, the structure of the book was hard to follow. I think with the changing perspectives, it took me a while to follo
Charlie
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At first I took a little while to get into the book, by a little while, my first day I was reading for 2 hours, it probably took about half and hour to try and understand the way the book had been written, but, and I mean a HUGE BUT, once you get past that first hurdle, it's a book you just can not put down. I read this book in less that 6 hours, it.was.amazing!! Written with truth, honesty and facts that many have throughout their life. Being someone who battles depression, self harm and suicid ...more
Natalia
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was so well written that sometimes it was hard to put down, specially towards the end.
Amy's depression and its effects were described very sensibly and suicide is not romanticised, as it often is in similar books. (view spoiler). At the beg
Tina
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

This is one of the books where the review is hard to write because honestly the book was hard to read. Now don't get me wrong, I read it in less than 24 hours, but the subject makes it hard to read. Depression and self-harm is the main theme. Amy is the narrator and as you read her story, you begin to understand more about her childhood, her parents, her friends and the losses she has experienced. At one point, the narrative switches and it becomes confusing, but stick with it because
TRACY-ANNE PADDOCK
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from voracious readers. Took me a fair while to twig about the couple in this book and link them in with the main character as it really could have done with a '15 years ago' chapter heading when it was about the couple so you know where you are. But have to admit it was bloody heartbreaking and I did shed a gallon on tears. A tad dark but considering the title and front cover of the book, you can figure out what the book is about so if you're prepared to go on thi ...more
Lauren Dare
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the author via voracious reader only.
This book was an amazing read. It has very dark content and insight into the grip depression has on a person. It was so uniquely written, I felt I was in the world of Amy as she struggles with the daily struggles of dealing with death, unloved by her parents, rejection and the secrets from the past she hides. It also highlights just how hard those around Amy struggled to see she was struggling yet didn’t do much to hel
TamaraLynne Stewart
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd read this book again for sure it's a good read and it gives info that would help you better understand a person going threw depression so bad it feels better to them when they hurt themselves , these people are not alone and this book shows that ! I'm glad I got to read this book thank you for writing it C.M North helping people understand more of what it's like can only be a good and helpful thing
BreAnne
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so well written and just utterly heartbreaking. It was such an emotional journey that broached many difficult subjects.

I received a free copy of this book through Voracious Readers Only.
Alicia Huxtable
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darkly deep

Wow! Dark, deep, traumatic. I really liked the writing style. The story had a lot of feeling which was fantastic, the emotions, even on paper felt raw. A really great read!!!
Julianne
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was well written. I really hit home and i can relate to some of it. I couldn't put it down.
Isabel
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book for free through VRO.

Overall, it was a unique and cleverly done story. I found it difficult to get into at the start, as it jumped around between plots and characters, but am glad I kept reading and really enjoyed the second half of the book, where it felt like the characters had come more alive. I would happily read more of the author's work in the future.
DLV
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a page turner.
The characters were well developed.
The issues in this book educated me.
2 weeks after reading the book,
I am still marvelling
at this Great book!!
Mc Chanster
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was an incredible read. It was dark, depressing, absolutely heart-wrenching, and I couldn’t stop reading once I started. Right from the beginning, it was clear Amy struggled with deep depression and despite the efforts of some of those around her, she barely holds it together as she moves through the days. Skillfully written, North takes the reader on a tumultuous and emotional journey through several lives and how they intertwine together.

So I really, really enjoyed this novel; and it
Sarah Pearce
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book through Voracious Readers Only. Although some parts were difficult to read (tw* self harm/suicide/rape) it was kept realistic without going overboard and to some it was likely relatable. I liked the originality of this book and the ending diary entries really tied everything together.
Kya Hanners
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was simply amazing. It describes manic depression in the most understandable way so someone who's never even been depressed could feel what its like almost. Gotta admit, i was almost confused for half the book. Worth reading.
Niamh Gibson
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a unique story which I couldn't put down! The use of alternating storylines was a bit confusing, but I liked the end of the story, with the use of diaries. Amy felt like a little sister to me all the way through- one I wanted to help, and the other characters were interesting, but it would have been nice to have seen characters like Beth get more depth.

In all, however, this book was enjoyable and I would like to read more from this author
Autumn Leaf
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers who love books about mental illness, parents, teachers.
Recommended to Autumn by: VRO
Shelves: favourites, i-own, review
I received this book from VRO for an honest review.

It is a well-written book about the deep and realistic side of mental illness and the society around those who suffer in silence.
The writer succeeded in narrating the pain and struggle of a lonely teenage girl. It was so vivid that, it makes the reader feel helpless.

This is dark, painful and the ending is so heart wrenching. I didn't see it coming. I never realized the whole picture at first and after connecting the dots, I do want to read it a
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The House of Twelve (The Houses of Penance, #1)
  • Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells (Womby's School for Wayward Witches #1)
  • Clio at War
  • Proceed with Caution (Ford Brothers #1)
  • Remorseless (Doc Powers & D.I. Carver Investigate, #1)
  • The Kingdom Within (The Kingdom Within, #1)
  • The 13 (Mission's End #1)
  • When You Were Mine
  • Extinction of All Children
  • Running With the Wolves (The Chronopoint Chronicles, #1)
  • Journey To Osm
  • Aerisia: Land Beyond The Sunset (The Sunset Lands Beyond, #1)
  • The Redemption of Erâth: Consolation (The Redemption of Erâth #1)
  • Lost Identity (Eloria, #1)
  • Paper Heart (Poetry Collections, #1)
  • Skid - The First Chronicle (The Skidian Chronicles)
  • Eloy's Discovery (The Eloy Trilogy Book 1)
  • Magic and Murder Among the Dwarves (Crying Woman Road #1)
C.M. North was born in the suburbs of Boston, MA, although he left there when he was two. He spent most of his childhood split between the soaring peaks of the Swiss Alps an the dark industrialism of northern England, and their scenery has left an indelible mark on his psyche and creativity.

He went to school in Sheffield, England, and earned a B.A. in Music Composition from the University of Sheff

News & Interviews

“There was something about the fall colors, the warmth of the dying sun and the chill of the coming winter combined, that spoke of the endless passage of time, of eternal bliss and comfort.” 1 likes
“She had a lot of scarring from previous injuries. I could tell she was left-handed—the cuts were all on the right arm.” 1 likes