Start by marking “The Dying Flame (Darkfall #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dying Flame (Darkfall #1)

The Dying Flame

(Darkfall #1)

Forbidden magic. An oath to serve. A wrong to avenge.

Orla Grimstal has spent her life hiding who she is and what she can do. The use of magic is prohibited in the Seven Isles and those who break the rules are brutally punished.

But when her sister is imprisoned, Orla will stop at nothing to free her. She soon discovers her power runs deeper – and darker – than she had e
Published October 31st 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Dying Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dying Flame

Start your review of The Dying Flame (Darkfall #1)
Gea
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Orla and Merryn live in a place with little options. Orla has to keep her gift hidden, otherwise she will be prosecuted by god fearing people.

Because she can read people she has an advantage to survive, but at what cost?

Great power, like hers, is hard to control.

Don’t start reading this if you expect a light read.
When you are in need of a good book with heavy morals, loyalty and fighting for a good cause do pick this one up! You won’t regret it.

I received a free copy and this is my honest and vo
OldBird
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up because YA fantasy hasn't felt this good in ages. This book gripped me right from the start. It's a whirlwind of magic and conspiracies in an lovingly created fantasy world that draws you in and refuses to let go.

Orla is Mage-born, that much she knows. She can sense thoughts and emotions, has visions in her nightmares, and has an uncomfortable affinity for mentally easing creatures towards at her friend's farm when it comes to slaughter time. She's also fiercely protective o
Jeremy Reppy
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable story...looking forward to book two

I first learned about Orla, the main character, when the author was giving away free copies of what might be called the prequel. Orla was an intriguing character, with a combination of innocence, strength, and uncertain power that made me want to find out more about her. The first book in the series was quite enjoyable. Orla finds herself going from the slums to the palace of the king, where she is to become the Reader to the king, as she has th
H.M. Holten
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
YA fantasy at its best?
A nightmare sets the scene for The Dying Flame. RL Sanderson stirs a witches’ cauldron of forbidden magic, outcast peoples, Mind reading, and its consequences. A priesthood with a strong resemblance to the inquisition holds the reins and suppresses freedom of thought.
The protagonist, Orla, is catapulted out of her comfort zone. In the beginning, she sets out to rescue a beloved sister, but it turns out that her quest will send her further from home and her normal life tha
Lisa Cassidy
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really enjoyable read! Sanderson’s world is layered and complex but she doesn’t drown you with too much detail or ‘info dumping’. Orla is a great main character, a tough but scared girl with an understandable need for vengeance. I had no trouble continuing to turn the pages on this one, and am super excited to read the next book!!
Amanda Greathouse
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Quick read, but lacked something.

Here is a story about a girl trying to save her sister, but somewhere during the middle I feel like we lost site of this. I loved that she had powers, but she almost seems scared of them and for a portion of the book she doesn't even use them. Needless to say I'm not reading the second book, I was not wowed by the one.
Kathryn Tate
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Orla is such an interesting main character, as is the world she lives in. I can't wait to see where the next book takes her.
linda farrar
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You won't want to put down this book

I can not wait for book two! ! Book one is a great story, I never could guess what was going to happen on the next page.
Nancie
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful storyteller!

What a fantastic tale! I found myself completely engrossed in this book. I couldn't stop reading until the very end. I highly recommend this book!
Gypsie Holley
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A mind-reader set in a dystopian world is a perfect combination. And you think you know where something is going and off the rails it goes. Looking forward to book two!
Rosie
Feb 08, 2018
Katie
added it
Feb 12, 2018

• The Last Descendant (Sanyare Chronicles, #1)
  • Touch of Iron (The Living Blade #1)
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • The Queen of Cursed Things (Serpents and Kings, #1)
  • Warrior Prime (Ink Mage Legacy #1)
  • Twisted is the Crown (Dark Maji, #3)
  • A Tale of Stars and Shadow (A Tale of Stars and Shadow, #1)
  • Betrayed (Magi Rising, #1)
  • Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
  • Seas of Crimson Silk (Burning Empire, #1)
  • Elfhame: A Dark Elf Fairy Tale/Beauty and the Beast Retelling (The Darkwood Chronicles Book 1)
  • Fortuna Sworn (Fortuna Sworn, #1)
  • Stolen Enchantress (Forbidden Forest, #1)
  • The Whisper of Silenced Voices (After The Rift #3)
  • Marvels and Misfits (Trixie Towers, #1)
  • The Echo of Broken Dreams (After The Rift #2)
  • Of Beast and Beauty (Daughters of Eville, #1)
  • When Wishes Bleed (When Wishes Bleed, #1)
I’ve worked as a bakery assistant, cleaner, telemarketer, receptionist, yoga instructor, university tutor, researcher and public servant.

I’ve studied philosophy, Spanish and enough law to rethink my life choices, and I have a PhD in history from James Cook University, Townsville.

I co-wrote a feature length documentary film about gold mining in Guinea, West Africa, that won the First Appearance Aw

Darkfall (2 books)
  • The Sharpened Blade (Darkfall #2)