Start by marking “The Girl in the Moon” as Want to Read:
The Girl in the Moon

The Girl in the Moon

(Jack Raines Thriller)

In his newest heart-pounding novel, #1 New York Times bestselling author Terry Goodkind introduces the world to his most unforgettable and deadly character yet.

Angela Constantine is a girl born broken.

When Angela was young, before she came to realize she had a rare ability, she was a rather ordinary girl. At least, that was what everyone said. But Angela is anything but
Published February 6th 2018 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in the Moon, please sign up.
David It is set in the same world as NEST. The author introduces a new protagonist who ends up working alongside one of the protagonists from NEST.

Simona
Mar 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I knew this author for his "Sword of truth"series. While not one of my favorite authors, I thought to try this new book, which I heard was of a very different kind. I am very sorry to say that I found it crude, harsh and unappealing. It features repeated scenes of rape and abuse described very graphically, that I found very disturbing....with cardboard characters, an abundance of killers and perverts and a less than probable plot. Definitely not recommendable.
Danielle
The crones sit together in silence. You've heard that in their youth they roamed the land, gathered their knowledge close. They were once many but now only two remain. They'll share what they learned with you, if only you have the strength to listen.

You draw nearer, the list clutched in your trembling hand.

"Ageless ones," you croak, "I asked the internet what to read next while I wait for Winds of Winter. Does this satisfy?"

The nearer one, her hair as pale as the moon, gently takes the page. H
Robert Tretsch
May 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very creative premise
BUT, the author repeated himself so much I wanted to the throw the damn book across the room.
I don’t need to be told the same damn thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over.
The worst? In a page and half he said the same thing 4 different ways.
This author getting paid by the word?
Great book for the forgetful.
Mahadev
Mar 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is a 2nd amendment, right wing propaganda. There is nothing good in it. It is misogynistic (even though it was a female protaganist). It is anti-islamic, anti-immigrant, entirely US nationalistic - slave to the current populist agenda. I about threw it in, except I don't usually leave a book unfinished.

Don't bother reading it.

Also Terry's treatment of his editors and artist (cover art from his other book) is shameful. I wish I could get my $'s back for this purchase.
Phyl
Jun 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is truly appalling. 1.The writer insults the reader - he has to explain the most obvious things and he does this repeatedly. 2. The dialogue is excruciating. Nobody talks like this! 3. The characters are cardboard cutouts (not even one dimensional) 4. The gratuitous scenes of rape and violence are offensive. I mean really - after being repeatedly gang raped you just get up and carry on as before?? No PTSD or signs of trauma. I could go on but badly written books like this anger me. The writ ...more
Victoria
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeahhhh.... soooo
This story needs a TRIGGER WARNING. There are REALLY graphic scenes of child rape. I mean, downright grotesque scenes of child rape and abuse.
Some of these descriptions were completely unnecessary and didn't need to be added to the story.
I mean, really Terry, you wanted your audience to visualize your child character walking to school with the taste of semen from her rapist in her mouth?
Like Come on man, was that really necessary??? so yeah, readers beware. Our character is r
Michelle
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was intense! I loved it. Angela is fascinating in so many ways. I love how bad-ass she is, and for all of the right reasons! The story sucked me in and had my blood pressure up, but not in that maddening way that I hate. My heart raced, and I had fun learning what made Angela tick, and wondering what she could possibly do next. I got angry right along with her and felt her frustrations, but then, Wow! I can't tell you too much about that, without major spoilers. She's awesome! For thos ...more
Stewart Tame
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure : I won a free autographed copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

The Girl in the Moon builds upon ideas from Goodkind’s previous book, Nest. There are also characters in common. That said, TGITM can be read on its own, without any prior knowledge of the earlier book.

Angela Constantine has had it rough. Her mother is a drug addict, and, despite a steady stream of men passing through, she's never really had a father. In spite of rape and neglect, she's managed to carve out a l
David
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Note: This book is NOT Sword of Truth "Fantasy". I would classify it as a Supernatural Thriller set in the modern world.

I was fortunate enough to acquire one of the ARCs for this book and spent a few days immersed in the story. Wow. This book definitely had a grittier, no-holds-barred, Terry's-writing-what-he-wants-so-f**k-off, feel to it. Not that NEST didn't, this just took it to another level. I had to walk around the block a few times to wind down/de-energize after finishing it.

If this is t
Jannet Casas
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly hope that this is not the end.
I'm not one to read these type of books.
I really enjoyed this book A LOT. This book-this character; Angela seems too large for it to just end. I'm always skeptical of men who try to write in a women's point of view... I know SHAME on me, lol; and to be completely honest with you I didn't even realize, The Girl in the Moon was written by a man.
I really would like to continue and emerge into this world alongside Angela.

Thank you, Terry Goodkind, for your im
Jerry Hart
Jul 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story is disgusting and the writing is amateurish. There’s too much repetition. I gave up when Angela repeated what happened to her for what felt like the 15th time. The book clearly has little story so Goodkind had to find a way to increase the word count. He’s been doing it for years and he’s losing fans because of it. I refuse to read another book in this awful series.
Tony Williams
Jul 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The guy who wrote this is one sick puppy. And when he started throwing in his conspiracy theory political views, I had to stop reading.
Aza
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wicked horror style read.
It sent a shiver through my spine every time I turned each page and read each word.
An eye-locking read.
Cindy Watson
Sep 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to see a new Terry Goodkind novel. What a let down. Where was his editor? There is so much repetition and so many clumsy sentences, that it was hard going to keep the flow. But the plot and characters are just so awful too! Graphic violence and rape, very little psychological insight and one dimensional portrayals. From the magic and depth of The Sword of Truth to supernatural drivel, the author is losing my respect rapidly. Abysmal, amateurish writing.
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone loves a good vigilante story. This is a great, fast-paced adventure. Fun read!
Lesley
Sep 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No! Don’t do it!!! Save yourself!!!
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
The Girl in the Moon by Terry Goodkind is a so-so violent thriller.

Angela Constantine considers herself to be a girl who was born broken. Her mother was an addict who would do anything to get a plethora of illegal drugs. While her grandparents were protective and loving when they were alive, she spent most of her time with her strung-out mother and the abusive scum that hung around their trailer. She escaped as soon as she could and Angela has made a private life for herself with a secret missio
Pieter Rossouw
I am so bored with terrorists as part of the plot of a book. This started good and the protagonist is just perfect for a good old murder thriller until Terry pulled a extremist terrorist out of the hat. The writing is also not on par, found myself reading repeated phrases during the final scenes. Below par book and not a good storyline, for me that is.(Too cheezy)
it'chy
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
yes, it does

i guess i can tune out the repetitious shit and still enjoy the rest (view spoiler)

p21: the yellow center line and the stripe along edge of the road seemed like the only things grounded in the real world.
Ariana Fae
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

We have all seen news footage or read actual accounts of people and their families lives torn apart by the brutality and senseless acts of killers and madmen. I’m sure we all have wanted those monsters found, and justice served so they couldn’t do it again. Well, Terry Goodkind lets us live that fantasy in THE GIRL IN THE MOON through Angela Constantine.

Angela intrigued me from the first paragraph “…her first thought was to wonder if this was the night s
Tamara
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read!
Carl
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Plot deserves 5 stars but too much graphic violence against the main character bothered me.
Stephanie
Isabel
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't wait for the continuation of Nest. Nest was the first book I've ever read by Goodkind and I loved it. As a woman I have to admit, the rape scenes in The Girl in the Moon made me squirm (extremely violent), and some of the dialogue dragged (seemed unnecessary). But the story was strangely compelling despite these minor flaws. This book is fast-paced and the plot was fantastic. The protagonist was aloof but likable. Don't get me started on the evil antagonist(s)! If I had a life like An ...more
Amity Miller
I went into this book loving it, but the more I read the more icky it made me feel. The way immigrants, and women are spoken about just doesn't feel right.

Not to mention the editing was horrible! There were so many words missing from sentences or sentence that were half repeated, that it made it difficult to read in some chapters.

Angela is awesome though, and for that, I can't not rate this book at least a 3/5, was originally a 4 star read, but I couldn't get past the errors and the attitudes to
Valerie Fidder
Verbose

I love Terry Goodkind. But not so much this book. The story was good, and mostly kept my attention. But there were so many details he felt needed repeating (almost endlessly) - it's almost like he made notes of those details while writing the book, but forgot to edit them out in the final draft. Makes the read tedious and redundant in parts. Goodkind is a better writer than that, and I expected more from him.
Danny Pearman
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent read, following on from the Nest standalone story. Brutal, gritty and non-stop action. Not for the squeamish. It tells the story of Angela, the girl in the moon, she can look into your eyes and see if you are a murderer. Her quest to bring such foes to justice. After reading about her back story she teams up with Jack (from Nest) to counter a major terrorist plot which is being planned in New York. Gripping stuff till the end.
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book! I enjoyed Nest, but I really loved this book. I hope this series continues, the characters have so much more they can do. I was hooked from the first page and couldn’t put it down. It is not like the Sword of Truth series, but it is great in its own way. I’ve loved every book Terry Goodkind has written and he is such an amazing author. He doesn’t shy away from anything and he is a very powerful storyteller.
Harold
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway. I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel to Nest. Initially, I was disappointed as it didn't appear to tie to the first book, but that was resolved as I continued to read. Mr. Goodkind continues to provide a thoroughly entertaining and readable writing style. Hopefully the two protagonists will come together as the series progresses.
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angela Constantine is such a fascinating protagonist. Her backstory is truly touching, and its uplifting to see a character with such a definite sense of right and wrong in the world. She could have gone down a very dark path, but instead chose to rise above it all. I cannot wait to read more stories about her!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Ship of the Dead (Omega Days, #2)
  • Enthrall Sessions Trilogy (Enthrall, #1-3)
  • The Wolf's Tooth: Keystone Predators, Trophic Cascades, and Biodiversity
  • Hidden Truths (Intertwined Souls, #3)
  • Highland Wolf Pact Boxed Set (Highland Wolf Pact, #1-3)
  • The Question of the Felonious Friend (An Asperger’s Mystery, #3)
  • Simon Ships Out A heroic cat at sea. Based on a true story
  • Some Die Nameless
  • Let Them Eat Shrimp: The Tragic Disappearance of the Rainforests of the Sea
  • Darkness Descends (The Silver Legacy, #1)
  • She Sings of Old, Unhappy, Far-off Things
  • A Killer in the Wind
  • Black Dog (Hellhound Chronicles, #1)
  • Altitude Adjustment: A Quest for Love, Home, and Meaning in the Tetons
  • The Night Charter (Camaro Espinoza, #1)
  • Wanting Moore
  • Thornfruit (The Gardener's Hand, #1)
  • The Opera House
Terry Goodkind is a contemporary American writer and author of the best-selling epic fantasy series, The Sword of Truth, creator of the television show The Legend of the Seeker, and writer of the self-published epic, The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (a prequel and origin story of the first Mother Confessor). He has over 20 million copies in print and has been translated into more th ...more

Jack Raines Thriller (2 books)
  • Nest