Start by marking “The Dilemma” as Want to Read:
The Dilemma

The Dilemma

Would you do the wrong thing for the right reasons?

I thought you could help me. You’ve just left me here to suffer.

Haunted by her grandmother’s dying words, Dawn can only take comfort in the oath she took on becoming a nurse: first do no harm. It’s a promise she believes in, and takes seriously.

But when a terminally ill patient begs Dawn to end her suffering, Dawn i/>I/>
Published November 1st 2017 by Transworld Digital (first published February 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dilemma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dilemma

Start your review of The Dilemma
Bree T
I read Abbie Taylor’s debut novel Emma’s Baby last year and really enjoyed it. It was a perfect portrayal of a flawed single mother and the stresses someone is under with no support base and struggling to take care of their child. So when I saw that she had another book coming out I was eager to read it.

Dawn is a midwife, working in an understaffed and presumably underfunded hospital still set in an old building where the ward is mostly open, not private rooms featuring a small amoun
Nicola
This was only okay! I really did enjoy it at the very beginning- I was drawn into the life of nurse, Dawn, and her hectic life at the hospital. It seemed like it would be interesting enough. The pacing is so bad. The book moved really slow. Lots and lots of description about mundane things instead of actually just letting the story flow. I think Taylor showed a lot of knowledge about the medical world and the hospital certainly seemed realistic but I didn't think the writing was all that impressive. ...more
Joanne Schofield
Dawn is Matron of St Iberious hospital. When a terminally ill patient begs her to help end her suffering Dawn makes an impulse decision and one that will have far reaching consequences.

A very easy to read book which had a great deal of filler and not that much plot I have to say. At times I wanted to give Dawn a shake though - some of the decisions she made were absolutely ludicrous. Despite that I actually quite enjoyed this book and sped through it.
Louise Bartrip
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Faced with a dilemma what would you do? This was a page turner. Can't wait to read something else by this author.
Kees van Duyn
Dawn Torridge is hoofdverpleegkundige in het Londense ziekenhuis St. Iberius. Iedereen, zowel de artsen, de patiënten en haar collega's respecteren haar vanwege haar betrokkenheid bij haar werk. Als ze het leven van een man redt, wordt dat respect alleen maar groter. Omdat haar grootmoeder, met wie ze een erg goede band had, een paar jaar eerder op een minder fijne manier gestorven is, heeft ze te doen met de 84-jarige Ivy Walker. Deze vrouw die aan kanker en alzheimer lijdt heeft erg veel pijn. ...more
Cleopatra  Pullen
I really enjoyed [[ASIN:B0031RS7RW Emma's Baby]] and was looking forward to reading her next book, unfortunately it just didn't live up to expectations.

The story is about a matron on a ward who working is wholly involved with her work but something happens (I don't want to spoil the plot) There are many points where you think this book is going to develop into something but it never quite happens. I did finish the book but even what is supposed to be the twist just doesn't work.
Donna Miller

I give this 7/10 usually I love medical drama thrillers but this one did not make me want to read on and on but I did not give up on it

Dawn is a matron of a hospital ward and has a dilemma that turns into something bigger! I felt the story went on and on could have been finished a lot sooner. However near the end was the best part of the book lots of twists and turns kept me interested.
Aishling Murphy
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dilemma by Abbie Taylor was not such a bad read after all. Certainly not the best book I have read. But when nurse Dawn is faced with having to end a life of her terminally sick patient would you say it’s mercy or murder.. but being a nurse and knowing what to do so no one finds out or do they and what price is Dawn willing to pay to keep her secret.
RolloTreadway
Very silly, and with an ending telegraphed long in advance. Yet, for all that, it was a great deal of fun, and the pages flew by.
Lynsey Easton
Definitely kept me reading and I enjoyed the filler parts about life as a nurse. I wanted to find out who the blackmailer was!
Nicola Richardson
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite lots of red herrings, I guessed the twist!
mrs helen m forge
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Absolutely ridiculous from start to finish

Absolutely ridiculous from start to finish. Don't waste your time or your money. Totally unrealistic and flawed in so many ways
Gill Brown
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite different and very good. A dilemma that turns into something bigger!
Samantha
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebooks
Dawn is een hele toegewijde verpleegkundige in een ziekenhuis in Londen. Ze is hoofdverpleegkundige van haar afdeling, waar zowel oude als jonge mensen liggen in afwachting tot hun operatie of na hun operatie. Zo ligt er ook een lieve oude dame met een tumor. Zij heeft ongelofelijk veel pijn en niets helpt tegen deze pijn. Dawn kan het niet aanzien dat ze lijdt en besluit als ze hoort dat er niets aan de pijn gedaan kan worden, de wens van deze dame te vervullen en haar een dodelijke shot medica ...more
Cindy
Abbie Taylor is zelf een arts, waardoor ze ongetwijfeld goed weet hoe het er in het ziekenhuis aan toe gaat. Daardoor zet ze met Dawn een heel geloofwaardig en sympathiek hoofdpersonages neer. Je begrijpt haar gevoelens en beweegredenen maar al te goed als ze een einde maakt een het leven van een van haar lijdende patiënten. Maar na de eerste chantagemail wordt ze enigszins paranoïde, en in die lichte waanzin ga je als lezer helemaal mee. Je verdenkt de ene naar de andere persoon, en bent uitein ...more
Mandy
Couldn't finish this. I didn't like the main character, the pacing was too slow and I just couldn't connect with the story in any way.
AK
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is very good, but I didn't like the way of how the story ends
susan webster

• The Temp
  • Anything You Do Say
  • The Outlander
  • Little Liar
  • The Bone Collection: Four Novellas (Temperance Brennan, #0.5, 15.5, 16.5, & 17.5)
  • Mine
  • In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2)
  • Give Me the Child
  • The Last Thing She Told Me
  • The Survivors
  • The Night That Changed Everything
  • The Other Woman
  • Apple of My Eye
Abbie Taylor is a doctor in her thirties. She was born in Ireland and lives between Dublin and London. Emma's Baby is her first novel.