Start by marking “Death in a Deck Chair (Iris Cooper, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death in a Deck Chair (Iris Cooper, #1)

Death in a Deck Chair

(Iris Cooper #1)

Young, innocent Iris Cooper, awareded a round-the world cruise by her doting and wealthy Aunt Hermione, is on the final lap of her voyage home . Her travels have prepared her for many of the types she meets on board: participants in a Balkan political intrigue, a vampy screen star, a muck-raking writer for a tattle-tale publication; a professor given to lecturing on the mi ...more
Published November 1st 1984 by Walker & Company (first published March 12th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Death in a Deck Chair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in a Deck Chair

Ellen
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun cozy mystery.
Looking forward to reading the 2 sequels that I found. Hopefully they
are just as much fun to read as this one.
Iris Cooper is a very intelligent and plucky heroine who's
on her way home from a world cruise with her Aunt Hermione.
The male characters who attempt to help solve
the murders in the book are bossy, and irritating. Especially Jack the
news man. Ditto for the piano man Paul.
Iris manages to hold her own and after 3 murders she finds
out
George
Dec 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers
One of Beck's Iris Cooper mysteries. Set in probably the 1920's, 18 year old Iris is finishing a round the world trip with her aunt before starting at Stanford University. They are crossing the Atlantic on the final legs of their journey returning to Portland, Oregon. Iris wishes for more adventure and she ends up in the middle of a double murder, political intrigue involving an obscure Balkan country, and romance with two young men.

The tone is light hearted, though the plot line is
Lindsay Boitnott
May found me struggling with a pretty epic book hangover after rereading my favorite mystery, Every Secret Thing. I’ll go into more detail about book hangovers later in the week, but I eventually found a cure while watching A Book Olive’s video, Spring 2017 Book Haul, Part 2: Fiction. (please check out her site as she is one of my favorite booktubers) Olive talked about picking up a few historical cozy mysteries by K.K. Beck and my interest was peeked. I started the first in the series, Death in ...more
Kay
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cozy cruise murder mystery from the early 20th century, with an amateur young woman sleuth and a brash American reporter to head up the zany group of characters. Fresh and fun and page turning, great for a bit of a break from heavy books and the surprise ending with how it all got figured out is worth the price of admission!
Sharla
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is mystery light. It's not bad but very simplistic.
Regan
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally fun cozy. Great characters and the author has some really humorous lines. Had me cracking up out loud a few times. And the mystery was spot on. Some really good twists.
Pamela Newman
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun period cozy

Great read for a lazy summer day! Not too deep but with plenty of twists to keep the story interesting.
Jenny
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story, charming twist!
Susan
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for something light and this book certainly fits the description with a plot bordering on silly. Nevertheless Iris Cooper is an appealing and intelligent heroine.
Susan
Charming Iris Cooper is on the last leg of her round-the-world travels, chaperoned by Aunt Hermoine, when she finds a murdered man in his deck chair. Since Iris knows shorthand, the captain and the few men who are helping him investigate co-opt her for the investigation. So does fast-talking journalist Jack, who talks in headlines and wants a scoop.
andrea
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-book
Cute story. Engaging characters. Mystery a bit farfetched...felt reminiscent of 30's-40's screwball comedies plot...so hard to get too upset about any preposterousness. Better just to enjoy it for what it is...a lighthearted quick read that made me smile.
Kathy Moberg
This book was very ordinary. Not terrible, but not gripping or terribly engaging either. I'd forgotten, but I read this series way back in the 1980s when it was new (I was fooled by the recent e-book publication date). I think I've become fussier...
Melinda
Okay mystery not very engrossing.
Arlene Allen
Fun romp, highly enjoyable! I love cruise ship mysteries.
Cathy Houston
good mystery, murder on the high seas with a limited list of suspects
Ingrid
Nov 10, 2013
Laurie
Jun 11, 2011
Binks Randolph
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2013
Jun 12, 2018
Elaine Dickinson
Feb 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kathrine Kristine Beck Marris (born 1950), known mainly by her pen name of K. K. Beck, is an American novelist. She has written over a dozen books, some of which were part of the Iris Cooper novel series and the Jane da Silva novel series.

An early novel of hers, Death of a Prom Queen (1984) was written under the pen name of Marie Oliver. She wrote a series of other novels, under the na

Iris Cooper (3 books)
  • Murder in a Mummy Case (Iris Cooper, #2)
  • Peril Under the Palms (Iris Cooper, #3)