Start by marking “Serious Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Serious Moonlight

Serious Moonlight

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  5,427 ratings  ·  1,232 reviews
After an awkward first encounter, Birdie and Daniel are forced to work together in a Seattle hotel where a famous author leads a mysterious and secluded life in this romantic contemporary novel from the author of Alex, Approximately.

Mystery-book aficionado Birdie Lindberg has an overactive imagination. Raised in isolation and homeschooled by strict grandparents, she’s cult
Published April 16th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Serious Moonlight, please sign up.
Ash Bainbridge Island. It's a bedroom community a 30 minute ferry ride from downtown Seattle. Without the Ferry it would take over 4 hours to get from Sea…moreBainbridge Island. It's a bedroom community a 30 minute ferry ride from downtown Seattle. Without the Ferry it would take over 4 hours to get from Seattle to Bainbridge. (less)

·  5,427 ratings  ·  1,232 reviews

Start your review of Serious Moonlight
jessica
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
i have a couple of auto-read authors when it comes to contemporary fiction and jenn bennett is on that list. and although this isnt my favourite book of hers, this story still has many of things i love about the genre and how bennett writes it.

first, massive shout out for daniel being portrayed as a charming, geeky, goofball and not some popular football player, like so many other books. he was a breath of fresh air! and i love how natural and organic his relationship with birdie is. and the ba
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finally got around to finishing this one and it was cute! Definitely not my favorite of Jenn Bennett's books, but the Seattle setting had my heart. Also Daniel. What a CUTIE.
Warda
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Medical conditions: bookworm disease (incurable).“

Jenn Bennett nailed it for me. I've loved and read her other contemporary books, but Serious Moonlight has to be my favourite out of the lot.
It was a GD dream and treat to read.

---------------------

Weekend read sorted!
I just received this through the mail and I couldn't be happier! I love contemporaries. Jenn Bennett is up there as one of my favs!

Thank you to Simon and Schuster UK for gifting me with a review copy.
Candace Robinson
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jenn Bennett has been my favorite YA contemporary author for a while now, and this book just kept her position at the top! A boy that likes street magic and a girl that wears flowers in her hair made my eyes fill with hearts.

At first, I must admit, I was annoyed with Birdie. But she grew up rather sheltered, so her personality fit with that. As the book went on, she really grew as a character, and I started to like her. Daniel was just a bucket full of sunshine and sweetness, and yes there's a s
Emer (A Little Haze)
This cute YA read is now published in the UK/IRL
*****
I had to hold off on publishing this review or even my rating because Gabby would've shot me if I had at all told her the tiniest reaction to this book... but luckily she got her butt in gear and read it this weekend so I am now at liberty to say that this is one squishy book of cuteness. I was craving a feel good novel and this 100% hit the spot.

(NOTE: Gabby also read this as an eARC from NetGalley and you can click here to read her review.
may ❀
"Let’s go eat some pie and solve a mystery.”

jenn bennett is one of my top contemporary writing queens. she writes characters with so much depth and still maintains this super cute narrative throughout the entire book

this whole book is sO precious. daniel, the love interest, is an absolute babe. he's so soft and sweet and funny and kind I just love him so much. the conversations and banter between the characters are so seamless and realistic.

also the conversations they had got really deep and i
Arini
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hey everyone meet my new boyfriend!!

his name is daniel aoki. he's 19, and he works the graveyard shift as a hotel van driver. he's gregarious, distractingly good looking, has an excellent smile, and knows lots of card tricks. oh did i mention he's really good at carpentry too? and the best part is he makes an awesome sleuthing partner!!

so how did i manage to find myself a perfect boyfriend like him? well, you are staring right back at the answer!!

i cannot tell you how much of a delight readi
Hollis
It breaks my heart to rate this so low (why I always feel more guilty over three stars vs two I don't know..) but I just didn't love this the way I've loved Bennett's books in the past.

There's a lot of brilliant diversity and representation in SERIOUS MOONLIGHT and this author is always including such fabulous dialogue surrounding safe & consensual sex-positivity content but.. I didn't really love the plot (mystery surrounding the identity of a crime writer) and I kind of saw a few things comin
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is there anything better than a Jenn Bennett book with all her quirky characters, irresistible friendships, and swoon worthy romances?

There might be but you will be hard pressed to find them!

I adore Jenn's book, I mean, honestly, who doesn't that has tried them? They are so much fun. They are real, raw, and so very very addicting.

And as weird as it may sound, I love that in all of them, there is always a very strong adult presence. Whether a parent, guardian, loved one, someone. You don't find
Julie Zantopoulos
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019, arc
NOTE: My love of this book may be swayed by the fact that Bowie is mentioned several times, once in relation to Labyrinth and his bulge...which is everything. Seriously, Bennett is the Queen of subtle amazing pop culture drops!

I adore Jenn Bennett's contemporary novels for so many reasons but a few are that they're always sex-positive and diverse and this novel is no different. Birdie and Dan are precious and I want nothing but the happiest of futures for these two kids.

Birdie is a girl who is
Susan's Reviews
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.

I have always been a fan of author Jenn Bennett. She is quirky, down to earth and writes very well. In Bennett's latest story, eighteen year old Birdie is still recovering from the recent death of her strict and judgmental grandmother. Birdie also lost her mother when she was ten, and never knew her father. Everyone she loves dies, it seems to her. So, when she meets Daniel after a job
Emma
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25/5 stars

Full review here

This review contains spoilers.

This was my second book by Jenn Bennett and I really loved it. It had a lot of great elements that I enjoyed very much.

First of all, there was a cute romance between the two main characters, Birdie and Daniel. After an unusual beginning the two of them reconnected and started dating. I liked their relationship and how it developed. The
Stacee
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm 1000000% here for anything Jenn writes and I don't really read the synopsis any longer.

I loved Birdie and Daniel. They're both such good people who are maybe struggling a bit more than they want to let on. I enjoyed their connection and their (mostly) open conversation. The family aspect was interesting: I especially enjoyed the mama bear scene with Cherry and Mona was a delight.

Plot wise, it was a whole lot of cute (hello, live action Clue game). The mystery part was interesting, but reall
Kat
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2
I always so look forward to Jenn Bennett’s books. She writes such quirky, fleshed out characters and immerses you so fully in whatever setting she chooses that it’s like taking a vacation to that city. In this case, it was Seattle, and I loved getting to see the sights alongside Birdie and Daniel. Birdie and Daniel meet by chance and have, ahem, a single night together, and then by pure coincidence discover they will be working together at a hotel on the night shift. Their relationship is soooo ...more
Corina
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Serious Moonlight was my first book by this author. After always hearing amazing things about her books, I finally had the opportunity to read one.

I love contemporary YA way more than YA fantasy. The reason is simple. It usually comes with less drama, which I appreciate, and which was the case with Serious Moonlight.

I also really enjoyed the mystery arc that was part of the story. It wasn’t a blown out mystery, not enough suspense for my taste, but it gave the story another layer. And seeing Bir
♥Rachel♥
3.5 Stars

When we meet Birdie and Daniel they’ve already met and had an intimate encounter that didn’t end well when Birdie freaks out and runs off. Birdie thinks *hopes* she’ll never run into Daniel again, but she’s mortified to find out he works at the hotel where she’s just been hired.

I struggled with Birdie at first, not really knowing her history, trying to avoid Daniel and what happened with them when he seemed like a nice guy. I got it more as the story went on, but I think I warmed to Da
Jessica
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
It breaks my heart because I adored Starry Eyes and Alex Approximately but this didn’t work for me at all. I expected to swoon and giggle and have little hearts coming out of my eyes while reading this but alas, nothing of the sort happened. I’m not sure why. I just didn’t click with the characters. Well, and the guy had long hair, which is a total pet peeve of mine, but I was convinced Jenn Bennett could make me love him regardless so I gave it a try. Yeah...that didn’t work out so well.
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Set an a sleepy town of Seattle, full of vivid descriptions and a cast of quirky, Gilmore-Girlsy characters, Serious Moonlight follows Birdie who is always suspicious of others and is on the hunt for a mystery to solve, which I wholeheartedly relate to. At her new graveyard shift in a bustling hotel, Birdie must work alongside Daniel, the boy she recently hooked up with and quickly deserted. Trying to set the awkwardness aside, Birdie and Daniel team up to solve a mystery at the hotel that they ...more
Katie Gallagher
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
View this review and others on my blog!
Thank you to NetGalley and Simon Pulse/Simon and Schuster Children’s Publishing for sending me a free advanced reader copy of this book for an honest review. Serious Moonlight debuts April 16th.

You know when you see a perfect cover, and you think to yourself, well, the book can’t possibly live up to THAT, could it? They’re compensating for something, right? Well, banish those fears—Serious Moonlight is a cozy contemporary that pairs an adorable romance
Katie McNelly
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I swear Jenn Bennett can do no wrong.
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
I seem to be reading a lot of romance lately, and Serious Moonlight is pretty much on par with how I tend to read romance books; I liked it, but it didn't blow me away. I definitely think that Jenn Bennett is one of the authors I like when it comes to romance, though, because of how fun and positive they tend to be, and Serious Moonlight was no different.

Jenn Bennett is really excellent at creating these quirky, fun worlds and characters that are on the brink of being overbearing. I found this b
Sophie
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a very cute and a very brainless/easy read. Exactly what I needed while finishing up the term, and a relief after not being a fan of Starry Eyes.

I thought Birdie and Daniel were fun characters, quirky but not in an annoying way, and it was possible to see both sides of their story and why they felt that way and were upset by various situations. And even a lot of the characters who are too quirky (Birdie's godmother Mona who basically wears quirky themed costumes all the time) are so fu
Vicky Again
Quirky (in a great way) and unique as Bennett's books always are, but I felt like I was really missing that click and chemistry with the characters this time, unfortunately.
beth ✨

THIS is what I wanted from Starry Eyes.

THIS is what I needed from Jenn Bennett.
nick
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

I have yet to read a poorly written book from Jenn Bennett. I was pretty confident going into Serious Moonlight that it would be another hit from one of my favorite authors, and once again, Jenn did not prove me wrong. Serious Moonlight was a sweet, charming and thoughtful story that had me sighing in happiness by the end.

I love how Jenn Bennett writes teenage girls who are messy, flawed, yet so beautiful in their complications. Birdie was one of her more unique heroines. She was a young gi
Sam (AMNReader)
Too bad about that mystery element and case files detracting from the central romance. It was hard to get to know the characters or fully develop secondary characters with the case files style and the mystery interrupting. Just wasn't successful...

Still worth a read for those that enjoy Jenn Bennett or YA, but I wouldn't be pushing it up any lists.
Cory Marie
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jenn Bennett writes the type of contemporaries that I would love to be able to write someday. Her stories are always adorable, relatable, and realistic. Serious Moonlight might be my new favorite of hers because of the vacation-y setting where Birdie and Daniel live, and because it has a super cool mystery with a twist that I didn’t see coming until it was revealed!
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
Jenn Bennett has been on of my favorite contemporary writers. Her books are either a hit or a miss of me. But the ones i do love are like biiiiiiiiiig hits. So this one brings the count to 2 loved and added to all time fav... 2 are just tolerable, in the middle. This one fell in the latter category.

One of the things I love about Jenn B's books are that they are so darn atmospheric and they build up the environment around the story so much, that's one of the things I love about night owls. And t
Jasmine
Wow, this book is all about magic and fate and mystery, but guess what? I think the story itself is the biggest mystery waiting to be solved. The teeny, tiniest part of my detective self is very, very happy with Birdie and Daniel's mysterious case and I can't wait to fangirl all over them with you soon.

By the way, as some of you may know, I've been OBSESSED with bookish subscription boxes for as long as I can remember but due to the international shipping cost, I couldn't afford any until now.
Anna Banana
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc-heroes

There is just something about reading a Jenn Bennett book that puts me in such a happy mood. I've yet to read a book from her that I haven't loved and I honestly don't think that will change any time soon.

I don't feel like writing a full, normal formatted review right now so I'm going to give you all the goods in bullet-point format:

↳This book has the softest hero ever and a heroine who is so relatable I had to check to make sure this wasn't being written about me a few times.

↳I love how sex po
Young Adult Conte...: #10 Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett 16 21 Jun 14, 2019 07:14AM

• If I'm Being Honest
  • Maybe This Time
  • Field Notes on Love
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Call It What You Want
  • Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss (Love, Life, and the List, #2)
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Rest of the Story
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Lucky Caller
  • Famous in a Small Town
  • Always Never Yours
  • You'd Be Mine
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
Jenn Bennett is the author of over a dozen books, including the young adult titles: ALEX, APPROXIMATELY; STARRY EYES; SERIOUS MOONLIGHT; and THE LADY ROGUE. She also writes romance and fantasy for adults. Her books have earned multiple starred reviews, been Goodreads Choice Award nominees, and have been included on annual Best Book lists for both Kirkus and Publishers Weekly. She lives near Atlant ...more