Start by marking “Serious Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Serious Moonlight

Serious Moonlight

After an awkward first encounter, Birdie and Daniel are forced to work together in a Seattle hotel where a famous author leads a mysterious and secluded life in this romantic contemporary novel from the author of Alex, Approximately.

Mystery-book aficionado Birdie Lindberg has an overactive imagination. Raised in isolation and homeschooled by strict grandparents, she’s cult
Published April 16th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Serious Moonlight, please sign up.
Ash Bainbridge Island. It's a bedroom community a 30 minute ferry ride from downtown Seattle. Without the Ferry it would take over 4 hours to get from…moreBainbridge Island. It's a bedroom community a 30 minute ferry ride from downtown Seattle. Without the Ferry it would take over 4 hours to get from Seattle to Bainbridge. (less)

Candace Robinson
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jenn Bennett has been my favorite YA contemporary author for a while now, and this book just kept her position at the top! A boy that likes street magic and a girl that wears flowers in her hair made my eyes fill with hearts.

At first, I must admit, I was annoyed with Birdie. But she grew up rather sheltered, so her personality fit with that. As the book went on, she really grew as a character, and I started to like her. Daniel was just a bucket full of sunshine and sweetness, and yes there's a s
Emer
I had to hold off on publishing this review or even my rating because Gabby would've shot me if I had at all told her the tiniest reaction to this book... but luckily she got her butt in gear and read it this weekend so I am now at liberty to say that this is one squishy book of cuteness. I was craving a feel good novel and this 100% hit the spot.

(NOTE: Gabby also read this as an eARC from NetGalley and you can click here to read her review. It is far more *feels* laden than mine!)

The story fol
Christy
Apr 19, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: 2019-four-stars
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is there anything better than a Jenn Bennett book with all her quirky characters, irresistible friendships, and swoon worthy romances?

There might be but you will be hard pressed to find them!

I adore Jenn's book, I mean, honestly, who doesn't that has tried them? They are so much fun. They are real, raw, and so very very addicting.

And as weird as it may sound, I love that in all of them, there is always a very strong adult presence. Whether a parent, guardian, loved one, someone. You don't find
Emma
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25/5 stars

Full review here

This review contains spoilers.

This was my second book by Jenn Bennett and I really loved it. It had a lot of great elements that I enjoyed very much.

First of all, there was a cute romance between the two main characters, Birdie and Daniel. After an unusual beginning the two of them reconnected and started dating. I liked their relationship and how it developed. The
Julie Zantopoulos
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-in-2019
NOTE: My love of this book may be swayed by the fact that Bowie is mentioned several times, once in relation to Labyrinth and his bulge...which is everything. Seriously, Bennett is the Queen of subtle amazing pop culture drops!

I adore Jenn Bennett's contemporary novels for so many reasons but a few are that they're always sex-positive and diverse and this novel is no different. Birdie and Dan are precious and I want nothing but the happiest of futures for these two kids.

Birdie is a girl who is
Hollis
It breaks my heart to rate this so low (why I always feel more guilty over three stars vs two I don't know..) but I just didn't love this the way I've loved Bennett's books in the past.

There's a lot of brilliant diversity and representation in SERIOUS MOONLIGHT and this author is always including such fabulous dialogue surrounding safe & consensual sex-positivity content but.. I didn't really love the plot (mystery surrounding the identity of a crime writer) and I kind of saw a few things c
Katie Gallagher
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
View this review and others on my blog!
Thank you to NetGalley and Simon Pulse/Simon and Schuster Children’s Publishing for sending me a free advanced reader copy of this book for an honest review. Serious Moonlight debuts April 16th.

You know when you see a perfect cover, and you think to yourself, well, the book can’t possibly live up to THAT, could it? They’re compensating for something, right? Well, banish those fears—Serious Moonlight is a cozy contemporary that pairs an adorable romance wi
Susan's Reviews
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.

I have always been a fan of author Jenn Bennett. She is quirky, down to earth and writes very well. In Bennett's latest story, eighteen year old Birdie is still recovering from the recent death of her strict and judgmental grandmother. Birdie also lost her mother when she was ten, and never knew her father. Everyone she loves dies, it seems to her. So, when she meets Daniel after a job
Katie McNelly
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I swear Jenn Bennett can do no wrong.
Stacee
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm 1000000% here for anything Jenn writes and I don't really read the synopsis any longer.

I loved Birdie and Daniel. They're both such good people who are maybe struggling a bit more than they want to let on. I enjoyed their connection and their (mostly) open conversation. The family aspect was interesting: I especially enjoyed the mama bear scene with Cherry and Mona was a delight.

Plot wise, it was a whole lot of cute (hello, live action Clue game). The mystery part was interesting, but reall
Arini
Apr 18, 2019 is currently reading it
i don't need to know what it's about, only that it's written by jenn bennett. 🙌 🙌
♥Rachel♥
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
3.5 Stars

When we meet Birdie and Daniel they’ve already met and had an intimate encounter that didn’t end well when Birdie freaks out and runs off. Birdie thinks *hopes* she’ll never run into Daniel again, but she’s mortified to find out he works at the hotel where she’s just been hired.

I struggled with Birdie at first, not really knowing her history, trying to avoid Daniel and what happened with them when he seemed like a nice guy. I got it more as the story went on, but I think I warmed to Da
Corina☞BookTwinsReviews
Serious Moonlight was my first book by this author. After always hearing amazing things about her books, I finally had the opportunity to read one.

I love contemporary YA way more than YA fantasy. The reason is simple. It usually comes with less drama, which I appreciate, and which was the case with Serious Moonlight.

I also really enjoyed the mystery arc that was part of the story. It wasn’t a blown out mystery, not enough suspense for my taste, but it gave the story another layer. And seeing Bir
beth ✨

THIS is what I wanted from Starry Eyes.

THIS is what I needed from Jenn Bennett.
nick
4.5/5

I have yet to read a poorly written book from Jenn Bennett. I was pretty confident going into Serious Moonlight that it would be another hit from one of my favorite authors, and once again, Jenn did not prove me wrong. Serious Moonlight was a sweet, charming and thoughtful story that had me sighing in happiness by the end.

I love how Jenn Bennett writes teenage girls who are messy, flawed, yet so beautiful in their complications. Birdie was one of her more unique heroines. She was a young gi
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
Jenn Bennett has been on of my favorite contemporary writers. Her books are either a hit or a miss of me. But the ones i do love are like biiiiiiiiiig hits. So this one brings the count to 2 loved and added to all time fav... 2 are just tolerable, in the middle. This one fell in the latter category.

One of the things I love about Jenn B's books are that they are so darn atmospheric and they build up the environment around the story so much, that's one of the things I love about night owls. And t
Lisa
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc
This book has it all: teen detectives, romance, an iconic city, pie, sexy times and personal growth. I loved every second and only wished this book was longer. Or that there was another Jenn Bennett book in my hands immediately after finishing this one.

Absolutely a must-read for contemporary fans.
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it

Quirky (in a great way) and unique as Bennett's books always are, but I felt like I was really missing that click and chemistry with the characters, unfortunately. Full review to come!
Wing-yee (bibliomeds)
Aug 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
sos i need this book right now
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Missing people is hard. Letting new people inside is harder. But the reward for making that effort was greater than I could have imagined.

It was my first time to read a Jenn Bennett novel, and I must say that it defied most of my expectations. I admit that I wasn't that optimistic, particularly about the romance. After all, YA contemporary is infamous for love at first sight and other tropes that are often annoying. Fortunately, this book deviated from the status quo.

Serious Moonlight brings som
Anna Banana
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc-heroes

There is just something about reading a Jenn Bennett book that puts me in such a happy mood. I've yet to read a book from her that I haven't loved and I honestly don't think that will change any time soon.

I don't feel like writing a full, normal formatted review right now so I'm going to give you all the goods in bullet-point format:

↳This book has the softest hero ever and a heroine who is so relatable I had to check to make sure this wasn't being written about me a few times.

↳I love how sex po
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
Apr 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
netgalley/s&s was kind enough to let me have a galley and jenn bennett is one of the few het romance authors i trust so im excited
Suzanne (The Bookish Libra)
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
When I first found out that there was a new YA contemp coming out from Jenn Bennett, I was ecstatic. I’ve found that in my old age, (lol) I’m not drawn to young adult contemporaries like I used to be. This is so annoying but I’ve gotten to the point where instead of sympathizing with the main characters and their problems, I tend to side with their parents now (or what their parents would/should say if they ever were around in these books). Ugh I hate even saying that out loud. FORTUNATELY there ...more
Jen Ryland
So I never dislike a Jenn Bennett book - her wonderful writing, thoughtful characterization, and wonderfully immersive settings are always something I look forward to.

However, I am sad to say that this wasn't my favorite of her books. All the components were interesting and well done in and of themselves, but as a whole - and for me - they just didn't gel as I wanted them to. There was a lot going on - too much for me to really sit with the characters and their story and feel something for them.
Christine Manzari
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jenn Bennett never disappoints. Unusual and quirky characters in unique and fun situations. I loved this!
taylor
  • The Rest of the Story
  • Famous in a Small Town
  • Symptoms of a Heartbreak
  • The Place on Dalhousie
  • Truly Madly Royally (Point Paperbacks)
  • The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)
Jenn Bennett is an award-winning author of several young adult books, including: ALEX, APPROXIMATELY; STARRY EYES; and SERIOUS MOONLIGHT. She also writes romance and fantasy for adults. Her books have earned multiple starred reviews, won Romance Writers of America’s RITA® Award, and been included on Publishers Weekly Best Books annual list. She lives near Atlanta with one husband and two dogs. Vis ...more