Start by marking “Symptoms of a Heartbreak” as Want to Read:
Symptoms of a Heartbreak

Symptoms of a Heartbreak

The youngest doctor in America, an Indian-American teen makes her rounds―and falls head over heels―in the contemporary romantic comedy Symptoms of a Heartbreak.

Fresh from med school, sixteen-year-old medical prodigy Saira arrives for her first day at her new job: treating children with cancer. She’s always had to balance family and friendships with her celebrity as the Gir
Published July 2nd 2019 by Imprint

Start your review of Symptoms of a Heartbreak
Patty (IheartYA)
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I expected a cutesy-wutesy contemporary but you won't find that here. Real world drama lies in these pages, and one character I wanted to smack silly. I was a little lost on some of the language and cultural references that weren't explained well if at all. It felt unnecessarily long with some lulls in pacing. Overall, 3 out of 5 stars. Not terrible but not memorable either.
Sona
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
Hey guys! This is the author! Just a heads up that the title of this book has changed to Symptoms of a Heartbreak, and it has a new goodreads page here:

Thank you for all of your support!

Sona
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Y.A. readers, with adult guidance
I think this book could be an inspiration for young women, and young men also, who have career aspirations at early ages. The author does a good job of portraying the importance of strong family bonds. The consequences of an “all work, no play” lifestyle are also stressed.
I would recommend this to Y.A. readers, but with adult guidance. There is quite a bit of underage drinking that takes place.
Memorable Quotes:
(Pg.173)-“ Now stop thinking about work. Eat. Lounge. Watch movies. You need the day o
lauren :)
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
(4.4*)
This is one of the best debut YA books I’ve ever read. I’m just gonna start there. I know that I just read the galley, and that it is not out yet, BUUUUT I can wholeheartedly say that it is definitely one of my FAVORITES. I love how cultured, nerdy, and “romance-y” it is. Great book to read during this Asian Heritage Month, really. I feel like if a book is able to at least get me to feel mixed emotions all throughout (happiness, sadness, anger, loss, love, etc.), I can formally dub it a “
kav (xreadingsolacex)
"You are much stronger than we give you credit for. And maybe we underestimate you...You're a strong girl, you can handle it. Maybe it's why God introduced you to Harper, and to Alina, and even to Link...Because you were meant to do this work."

Symptoms of a Heartbreak by Sona Charaipotra is her solo debut that follows the story of Saira Seghal, aka Girl Genius, a 16-year-old doctor who starts an internship at her mom's hospital and just happens to fall for a patient.

This was certainl
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
TW: childhood cancer

At sixteen, Saira Sehgal is the youngest doctor in America. Dubbed "Girl Genius" by the media, she's been selected to be one of three interns at a prestigious new program in the pediatrics oncology ward. But despite her intellect and her accomplishments, Saira has a lot to learn—and realize that she might be a doctor, but she's still a teen.

June has been a month of reading books that are conflicting to rate.

At times, I loved this book. At others, I just wanted to smack Saira
temi ★
Jun 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
i just read the excerpt and UGHHHHH I’M SO READY
Syl
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars out of 5 stars
Follow my blog: https://sylandbooks.wordpress.com/

This is one of the debut YA books that show the great potential of the author.
I actually very much enjoyed the story of Saira Seghal, the youngest doctor in the United States at the age of 16 years. 16 years !!Can you imagine ?
At this age it’s absolutely normal
Samantha (WLABB)
FACT: I watched Doogie Howser, when the episodes originally aired, and I was totally fascinated with his trials and tribulations as he attempted to navigate the adult world as a teen.

My love of Dr. Doogie drove my desire to read Symptoms of a Heartbreak, and I throughly enjoyed the new life Charaipotra breathed into this concept.

Being a girl genius seemed kind of like a blessing and curse for Saira. Here she was, 16 years old, and a medical professional. She was responsible for making life or de
Emilia
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a slow start, but the rest was pretty good!
Kelly  (UnshelvedEdition)
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every now and then I need to press a little reset button. When I start getting lost in a world of thriller/crime novels, I like to throw in something a little lighter to pull me out of the darkness

Symptoms of a heartbreak was a lovely read about growing up fast and growing up early. While a lot of Saira’s life is not something realistic or normal (being a teenaged doctor) there are a lot of challenges she faces that remind us it’s not always easy to be a teenager and sometimes we do need to grow
Anna
Sep 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, aawoc
This is a real contender for my least favorite YA book I've read this year. The writing is laughably bad and it honestly reads like a parody of a trying way to hard to be woke YA novel. DID YOU KNOW THAT THE MAIN CHARACTER IS INDIAN AMERICAN???? She drinks chai BECAUSE SHE IS INDIAN. On like every other page. She isn't just drinking lemonade . . . she's drinking it THE DESI WAY (adding pepper or something, which honestly sounds kinda cool, but I really could do without the overwrought explanatio ...more
Lance

3.5 Stars. Symptoms of a Heartbreak met my expectations exactly, which is both a good or bad thing. When I got this ARC at Bookcon 2019, I was excited but knew deep in my heart that it wasn't going to be the best book I'd read this year: this was definit
Rissa
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook
Symptoms of a heartbreak ⭐️
Saira Is a genius. So much so that she graduated med school at the age of 16 and is now working as a first year med student/intern at the hospital.
But being a genius at 16 still makes you a child and a child that even though you have all this information is still weakened by handsome boys that play guitar and just so happen to be in the hospital all the time. Link. A crush. Will her feelings get in the way of her work?
This was really cute. I love books set in hospita
nick
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this book a lot! I liked how even though Saira was a doctor, she still was very much a teenager in her emotions and reactions. Also, all the food descriptions had me so so hungry! 😩
The only thing I wanted more of was the romance.
Sierra Elmore
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS
Lexi- Readabookplz
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was wonderful! I didn’t want to put it to down. I loved the cultural elements woven into the Saira’s story because it’s such a key part to who she is. I was nervous to read this when I found out the main character works for an oncology unit, which I try to stay away from cancer related books. This book takes you on an emotional rollercoaster from so many different angles, but it’s done with love, determination, passion and kindness. I’m happy I read this book for BOTM.

I enjoyed the wr
Richelle Robinson
As a fan of the t.v. show “Doogie Hoswer”, I was excited to read this book. Saira is an Oncologist working with children that have cancer. Not going to lie, this was a tough subject for me to read at times. I had a good friend that passed away from cancer and reading about kids with this disease wasn’t easy. At one point during the book, I had to stop reading and compose myself. This book definitely showcased the highs and lows of the disease and the struggles the families faces during the whole ...more
Clay Morrell
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Sweet and light while also covering tough topics. I’m the girl in the bookstore who sees the word “cancer” on a book cover and drops it like the book itself has the plague. SYMPTOMS, however isn’t out to break hearts and make readers cry — instead it’s allowing us a glimpse into the heartache or life in a hospital while still buoying us with hope and laughter and true joy. I enjoyed this story immensely and can’t wait for others to fall for it soon!
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I like the beginning premise, the young teenaged doctor and how that might play out on a young adult scale. But being in the medical profession myself, the background is completely unrealistic, and basically was a sheer backdrop to the romance between doctor and patient, which by the way, is totally unethical. I couldn't get on top of this poorly researched book.
Rashika (is tired)
Remember how back in 2012 the only book anyone ever talked about was The Fault in Our Stars? I wish Symptoms of a Heartbreak was around back then because it is infinitely better and hits a lot of the same emotional notes that TFIOS hit for many people. While this book is pitched as a medical romcom, I’d actually describe it as less of a romcom and more of a family comedy with a smidgen of romance and a lot of growth and development.

Saira is Girl Genius and the youngest doctor ever. But all that
Mel
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
I started this the same day I finished watching Netflix’s Never Have I Ever so I definitely unconsciously put some of Devi’s personality into Saira, despite their differences. Saira though the same age as Devi, is on another plane socially and intellectually. Though I didn’t love this book as much as I loved that tv show, I think this was pretty solid read with all of the drama of parts of Izzy’s storyline on Grey’s Anatomy but packed into a YA novel. 🙌🏻

Saira is branded as Dr. Girl Genius, Ameri
Raegan
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just wanted a fun, somewhat cheesy, innocent romance and happily, I got more than that! Symptoms of a Heart Break is somewhere between My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Doogie Howser, and The Fault in our Stars. I know they are all VERY different but somewhere in their is where this book lands! At 16 years old Dr. Saira Sehgal is the youngest MD in the US and has just received an incredibly prestigious pediatric oncology fellowship at the hospital where her mother is the head of the pediatrics departm ...more
Grey
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
Did not enjoy
Katie
I probably should've DNF'd this. Saira is pretty immature and makes a lot of mistakes. Absolutely realistic for a sixteen year, but it made it hard to believe she was a doctor, especially since it seems like we didn't get to see enough of her actually BEING a doctor. I also didn't quite get the friendship conflict. (view spoiler) ...more
Zoe
Mar 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is all about a 16 yr old genius who is training to be a Doctor, and has some romantic 'chemistry' with a patient.

There is one instance in 100 pages that makes me think this girl is competent for the job. I'm not saying she isn't. I'm just saying it isn't shown well. There is no point where it shows her studying or anything.

This girl is not emotionally ready. She's 16!! She's 'falling in love' for the first time. She isn't ready to have already completed med school.

Look. I only made it 92 pa
|| Soph ||
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
ITS SITTING ON MY SHELF IM SO EXCITED TO READ THIS

2.5/3* (leaning towards a 2.5)
post read

hmm okay. i’m honestly a little disappointed. this book was kind of slow for me and the culture references confused me. buuuut i love the premise.

pross:

-diversity!!

-indian rep and culture.

-greys anatomy vibes thOOOO

-i like the fake dating/arranged married with saira and vish.

-josè is a great character. i love him

cons:

-the romance was weak. i didn’t care that much about the relationship between saira an
Katherine Paschal
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemp-romance, teen
**For more reviews visit me at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately I could not connect to this book. I liked all the pieces- the idea of a teen doctor, medical jargon, cancer research, sick kids, forbidden romance and teen drama- but it did not feel like it came together the way I was hoping it would. Also, everywhere this book pops up it is listed as a romantic comedy and I strongly disagree with that labeling. There was zero comedy in the story, dealing with the issues of illnes
Enne (they/them)
3 stars

I liked everything about this book more than I liked the romance aspect, but the romance aspect was the main plotline of the book so... alas.

I thought the concept of this book was really interesting. A 16-year old doctor working at the hospital for the first time sounds like a great concept for a book!! And I was really excited to pick it up! And I actually really enjoyed that aspect of the story!! I really liked seeing her shifting dynamics with her coworkers and I liked seeing how her
Fallon
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this emotional medical contemporary. I felt so invested in all of the cases. Being a 16 year old prodigy definitely has it interesting situations. The food infused in the writing of this book had me wanting to cook and eat the entire time. This is an emotional adorable read and I highly recommend it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• I Wanna Be Where You Are
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Past Perfect Life
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Love From A to Z
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • Screen Queens
  • Tweet Cute
  • What I Like About You
  • Parachutes
  • The Arrival of Someday
The author of the YA doc dramedy Symptoms of a Heartbreak, SONA CHARAIPOTRA is not a doctor — much to her pediatrician parents’ chagrin. They were really hoping she’d grow up to take over their practice one day.
Instead, she became a writer, working first as a celebrity reporter at People and (the dearly departed) TeenPeople magazines, and more recently contributing to publications from the New Yor

News & Interviews

“Before us, after us, there is always the cycle of life and death. We’re mere drops in the ocean, Saira, but it’s hard to remember that as we fall.” 1 likes