Start by marking “The Kind Worth Killing” as Want to Read:
The Kind Worth Killing

The Kind Worth Killing

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  62,824 ratings  ·  7,548 reviews
A devious tale of psychological suspense involving sex, deception, and an accidental encounter that leads to murder. Fans of Paula Hawkins’ The Girl on the Train will love this modern reimagining of Patricia Highsmith’s classic Strangers on a Train from the author of the acclaimed The Girl with a Clock for a Heart—which the Washington Post said “should be a contender for c ...more
Published February 3rd 2015 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Kind Worth Killing, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Natalie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jacqueline
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  62,824 ratings  ·  7,548 reviews

Holly
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Holy. Effing. Shit.

Now THIS was a damn great book. Everything I hoped both Gone Girl and The Girl On The Train would be...but weren't.
Diane
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should be getting more attention.

The Kind Worth Killing is a smart, well-crafted psychological thriller. Fans of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train should be all over this novel (but I thought Kind/Killing was much better than the bestselling-but-forgettable Girl/Train).

The story opens with a man and woman, Ted and Lily, chatting in an airport lounge. Ted is upset because he recently found out his wife, Miranda, is cheating on him. Lily encourages him to talk, and says she'll help hi
Jeffrey Keeten
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Truthfully, I don’t think murder is necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone dies. What difference does it make if a few bad apples get pushed along a little sooner than God intended? And your wife, for example, seems like the kind worth killing.”

We are brought up to believe that murdering someone is the worst thing we could ever do, but is it? If a person is leaving a wide wake of broken hearts and battered spirits and in some cases much, much worse, is it really the worst thin
Mischenko
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on this week's Throwback Thursday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson is a psychological thriller that will have you guessing until the end!

Just who are the kind worth killing?

If you haven't read this book, I recommend skipping my review and the blurb. There aren't any big spoilers here, but going in blind is probably the best...

The story starts out with Lily and Ted. The two strangers come together for a game of truth which tu
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I've been reading a lot of thriller/mystery/horror books and I've been finding myself being underwhelmed or straight up disappointed more often than not.

I'm tired of the same tropes of alcoholic, unreliable, "just out of a coma" characters. Tired of the words "women, she, girl, wife" in the title. Tired of boring female characters. Tired of the plot revolving about her being a mom or a wife.

I went into this book expecting it to be a typical thriller. Entertaining but a bit predictable... Well i
karen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fulfilling my 2019 goal to read (at least) one book each month that has been digitally moldering, unread, on my NOOK for years and years and years.

not at all bad for a sickbed one-day read!

i am very glad i decided that one of my 2019 reading goals should be to start reading through the backlog of nookbooks i've been accumulating over the years. i'm even a little glad i got sick enough to feel zero regrets or guilt in giving myself a free pass to spend the whole day in bed, reading, which is not
Carol
HA.....WHAT AN ENDING! (smile)

Murder here.....Murder there.....Murder everywhere in this page-turning mystery-thriller! I was surprised more than once, thoroughly entertained from beginning to end, and even found myself rooting for the devious and dangerous little psycho killer.....well, most of the time.

Great Read!

Debra
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
WOWZA! This book sucked me in, chewed me up and spit me out. By the way, I loved every freakin minute of it. Just who is the bad guy in this book? Who is the victim? Who is to be trusted? Who will double cross you? Is there anyone you can trust? Who is a killer? Who will be killed? Oh Lord does this book keep the bodies dropping as a psycho killer keeps killing.

Ted Severson meets Lily Kinter on a flight. He finds her to be both attractive and intriguing. Over drinks he shares with her that his w
Jennifer Masterson
This book was a lot of fun. 4.5 Stars. If you like psychological thrillers definitely give this one a try. The first twist totally threw me for a loop. I'm surprised The Girl on the Train was hyped more than this book was. I found a The Kind Worth Killing to be much better.
Carol (Bookaria)
I don't know how I missed this novel when it came out but I'm glad I finally read it. It was an excellent thriller!

Ted and Lily met on a flight back to the States. He shares that he recently found out his wife is cheating on him with his contractor. Ted is rich and Miranda a young and beautiful woman. In his devastation he tells Lily (jokingly) that he would kill his wife for her cheating and is surprised when Lily agrees and supports this decision. From then on the story turns darker and what f
Skyler Autumn
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 Stars

I would describe The Kind Worth Killing as a cluster fuck of mayhem that I absolutely loved. Peter Swanson takes us on a twisty turn-y action packed thriller that begins with a simple conversation between two strangers at an airport bar. After wealthy, and when I say wealthy I mean absurdly filthy stinking rich, Ted Severson confesses after one too many martinis to a beautiful mystery woman on the bar stool beside him that he caught his wife cheating on him, quickly following with a fli
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Hey guys, I just read the next Gone Girl!!!! Nah, just kidding. This one was actually a retelling of an oldie . . .

Houston commercial photography

which I didn’t even realize was a book. Some booknerd I am, huh? Anywho, to me there is no greater timesuck than a Hitchcock movie marathon and Strangers on a Train is one of my all-time faves.

At the airport bar before a trans-Atlantic flight, Ted meets Lily. After having one too many cocktails, Ted starts dropping truth
Linda
Just imagine.......

All things in the universe line up like stepping stones for you. The right/wrong people at the right/wrong time. And this is how it plays out for the main character of Lily. She dips her fingers into the pond and the concentric circles of ripples take their effect.

"Chet, can you do me a favor?" I don't think that I'd ever used his name before, and the word sounded strange in my mouth, like a swearword I wasn't supposed to say. And so it begins.....

Peter Swanson takes us for a
Jen
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this I started to categorize people I knew who pissed me off. According to this book, they would be considered the ‘kind worth killing’. Attention Grabber. Life, you’re going on hold. I need to read this!
Swanson has created a sensual thriller where 2 strangers meet at an airport and decide to play a game of truth telling. It quickly becomes a recipe for the murder of a spouse. Through brilliant twists and turns and various characters, the story comes together and is
Justin
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will never understand why books like The Girl on the Train become runaway bestsellers when books like this exist. Yeah, yeah... there are similarities. This story revolves around four crazy people doing crazy stuff with plenty of crazy plot twists along the way just like that other book I mentioned. But, come on, this story is so much better. I loved how the story begins with Ted and Lily running into each other at the airport and having an interesting conversation. And, I loved how the second ...more
Will Byrnes
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d taken enormous risks in the past two weeks, and I was lucky to have gotten away with them. But now I was done. It was over. I would live a quiet life and make sure that no one could hurt me again. I would continue to survive, knowing, as I’d known that night in the meadow, the stars pouring their light down on me, that I was special, that I was born with a different kind of morality. The morality of an animal—of a crow or a fox or an owl—and not of a normal human being.
Peter Swanson, auth
Debbie
I’m forever in search of the next Gone Girl, and this isn’t it. I seriously wish all the damn marketers would stop leading me on.

This book isn’t a bad psychological thriller; I just wasn’t wowed. Okay, okay, it IS twist city, and yes, that was great fun. The characters are deliciously wicked and creative in their evil ways. The writing is straightforward, and the story flows easily--no wrong moves here. The author tells a riveting story. But, but…

Each chapter title is the name of a character wh
Wendy Darling
Solidly entertaining, and a real page-turner. It got a little messy towards the end, but it's still very good.

Recommended if you liked THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN--and if you didn't, you still might like this if you thought TRAIN was too slow. (view spoiler)
j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
A PROUD ADDITION TO THE TWISTER HALL OF FAME at www.booksbejeweled.com

“I don’t think murder is necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone dies. What difference does it make if a few bad apples get pushed along a little sooner than God intended? And your wife, for example, seems like the kind worth killing.”
― Peter Swanson, The Kind Worth Killing

This first-rate domestic thriller has never gotten the attention it deserved. It won a couple of awards when it was released in 2015, but T
Lala BooksandLala
So. Fucking. Good.
Michelle
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unless you're a saint, I would think most people have thought some heinous individuals add no value to the world, and should not be allowed to live and continue their evil ways. But, obviously, murder isn’t easy! The human brain is coded for compassion, for guilt -- for a kind of empathic pain that causes the person inflicting harm to feel a degree of suffering that is in many ways as intense as what the victim is experiencing. Say what you will about the characters in this book, but they had to ...more
Sammy Loves Books
WOW!! Murder, Sex, and Conspiracy to Murder...
Talk about a Thrilling page turner

Lily Kintner

d

Imagine meeting an attractive stranger on a plane ride from London to the States. After sharing a few drinks, you each start to divulge secrets about your lives. It's all anonymous, so what's the harm? It's all fun until a jaded lover begins to talk about killing their unfaithful spouse.

Lily's story will suck you in and have you cheering for the antagonist.

Miranda
Miranda

Miranda is a beautiful, selfish, vixen an
Norma * Traveling Sister
Whoa! I gotta say that some of the twists and turns in this book definitely took me by surprise!!!

I must admit near the beginning of THE KIND WORTH KILLING by PETER SWANSON had me feeling a little bit uncomfortable and questioning the motives of our devious, scheming, and manipulative main character, Lily. I just didn't know if I could get passed the planning stages and the idea that it was okay to murder someone and Lily’s dispassionate comment that Miranda, seems like “the kind worth killing”
Jennifer Kyle
3.5ISH Stars
(4 Stars ~ For Writing/3ish Stars~ For overall story)

description

This story was well written and highly addicting. It was a very fast paced read that doesn’t have much romance to speak of. I didn’t particularly love how things ended but did love the thrill of the ride.

"Truthfully, I don't think murder is necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone dies. What difference does it make if a few bad apples get pushed along a little sooner than God intended? And your wife, for example,
Dem
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dem by: Noeleen
Wonderfully twisted and chilling suspense novel that will keep you tuning the pages.

Thank you Noeleen for recommending this book as I was having a reading slump and this was just the book to make me sit up and shake of the cobwebs.

This Novel grabbed my attention from Page one with its short flowing chapters and its quirky plot which starts with a conversation in an Airport bar between two strangers and leads to some riveting reading.
A cast of despicable characters and a plot full of twists and
Luke Narlee
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I noticed that I marked this book as "read," but nothing else (aka: no rating or review) which I don't normally do. So, because that's abnormal for me and because I think this book deserves better, I'm going to write something about it. But, I must warn you ahead of time...I didn't get enough sleep last night and my current mood is a little delirious and strange. Enter at your own risk...

It's been a while since I read this, so I am currently incapable of giving a detailed review. So you are abso
Sandra
description

Two strangers (Ted Severson and Lily Kintner) begin talking to each other in a lounge-bar at London’s Heathrow airport. While their flight is delayed they begin to tell each other a little bit about themselves. Ted mentions that he is married and that he thinks his wife Miranda is having an affair with the house contractor, Brad. Ted says, in an offhand way, that he would like to kill his wife Miranda. Lily replies, “I think you should”. Is she joking? She offers to help him. When they get on th
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Wow! What a thriller! This book has a lot of twists and feel that it was a very fun book! I was shocked at the ending which was another twist! If you haven't read this yet and love thrillers this one is a must!It all started when Faith stole Lily's boyfriend Eric from her and it never seems to stop. Scene after scene of sociopaths and murderers, and right when you think that you have it figured out another twist pops up! The ending was the thrill and I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't hold i ...more
Diane S ☔
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole time I was reading this I kept thinking of two lines in the poem, "Marmion" by Sir Walter Scott, taken completely out of context of course, "Oh! What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." This book was deception after deception, deceptions to cover other deceptions. Even when it looked like one thing was going to happen, something else did.

Definitely kept one reading, such a grouping of characters with little or no conscience. Well written, suspenseful and rapidl
Elyse Walters
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Could he possibly have secrets, as well?"

"And now I was realizing......" ( you think I'm going to tell you?)

"The day was cold and gray"...... ( of course, what mystery murder thriller do you know that happened on a bright warm sunny day?)

"I wondered of course" .....( me too) .... But I figured out the ending 50% into it.

"I pretended to be interested." ( I really really tried)

"I watched his eyes hunt my face. I knew I looked quite a bit different from when I had checked in". ( always a reason o
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Pythians anvisningar (Victoria Bergmans svaghet, #3)
  • Until You're Mine (DCI Lorraine Fisher #1)
  • In the Blood
  • WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • Shaker
  • The Killer Next Door
  • They All Fall Down
  • Like This, For Ever (Lacey Flint, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Todesurteil (Maarten S. Sneijder, #2)
  • Just What Kind of Mother Are You?
  • Resin
  • Everything You Want Me to Be
  • The Daylight Marriage
  • The Doll Maker (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #8)
  • Arrowood
Peter Swanson is the author of four novels: The Girl With a Clock For a Heart, an LA Times Book Award finalist; The Kind Worth Killing, winner of the New England Society Book Award, and finalist for the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger; Her Every Fear, an NPR book of the year; and his most recent, All the Beautiful Lies. His books have been translated into 30 languages, and his stories, poetry, and fe ...more
“Everyone has a full life, even if it ends soon. All lives are complete experiences.” 32 likes
“Everyone dies, but not everyone has to see someone they love with another person. She struck the first blow.” 14 likes