Start by marking “Blessing and Light” as Want to Read:
Blessing and Light

Blessing and Light

It’s the Night of Winter Lights.

Heedless of the holiday, the Commander of the H’Aren fortress, Captain Torýn Torhdhar, seems to find his satisfaction in work.

Such occurrence hardly surprises his Orderly, Sæbastyn Hyago, even though the young Lieutenant has spent a silent, aching decade wishing his superior officer would pursue pleasure elsewhere—specifically in his arms.
Published December 5th 2017 (first published November 20th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Blessing and Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessing and Light

Start your review of Blessing and Light
Judith
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars.

“Now tell me.”(...)
“What is it you want?” (...)

“I want to stay here. With you.”

Short,seasonal read set in the Order Series universe.

Taking place on the Winter Lights Festival,once again this Author has created an atmospheric read packed into about 16 pages.

Captain Toryn Torhdhar took Saebastyn in and made him into a Soldier 10 years ago.He has been devoted to Toryn and just a bit in love with him for all those years.

Will this be the night that Saebastyn has been dreaming of,when his
Shin Mon Thway
I might sound like a prick but I will be lying if I say I wasn’t green with envy whenever my friends posted the review of this short story or their status changed to “reading now”. I know that it’s going to be free and it’s going to be available in December but I couldn’t wait. Really, I was dying to read this 15 pages short novel because I knew every would would be gold. Thank god, author Kasia Bacon took pity on me and graciously gifted me with this early copy. Again, anyone who have known me ...more
Lyn
12/29/19 reread via audio

Audio....5++++ Michael Fox is Amazing!!
Story.... bumped to 4.5 stars because Kasia Bacon is not only a gifted writer, but she has proven to be gifted in choosing the right performer to bring her story to life!

Dear Author, I now have a gnawing hunger for more of your stories on audio. FEED ME!

***********

Kasia Bacon deserves all the praise and recognition for her short stories. Now that I have finally read one, I have to agree she is a gifted story teller. I'm looking
☆ Todd
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
== A *FREE* Holiday Read ==

Confession time
. For many years now, I've found it very difficult to enjoy short stories. They've been right up there with anthologies on my dislike-o-meter.

Then I started reading Kasia Bacon's "The Order" series and my short story world view shifted a bit.

This fantasy series is about elves, assassins, warriors and the conflicts between warring factions across the fictional land.

And it's been so much fun. This short story was no exception.

Kasia uses an economy of
Virginia Cavanillas
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a huge surprise this one has been! I don't know how is it possible for a so, so short length read to concentrate that much, but it touches banter, a bit of angst and love in a perfect way.
Wonderful writing too, and so evocative. I could feel the cold night described in that first page. So good.

This is a super short story included in The Order Universe but perfectly suitable for outsiders, like me. Not for a long time, I must say. The Mutt, The order #1 is now up in my extended tbr. I
Karla
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

Ah another sweet read from KB, a perfect novella for this holiday seasons where magic is in the air and wishes come true. Well at least for a certain orderly named saebastyan who has been longing for his captain Toryn for along time but it only takes one special night and a little push for love to finds its way. As always it only takes a few words to get hooked with these characters and even though they're short reads I'm loving how we can get a glimpse of who their hearts belong to.
Deborah
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is short and I do mean short it’s only 13 pages on my iPad but like the previous books from this author it never feels that short.
It’s detailed, atmospheric and beautifully written leaving you wanting more.
The reason it’s so short is explained

‘Dear Reader, I have written this holiday freebie for the 2017 M/M Advent Calendar. The event called for seasonal stories that did not exceed five thousand words in length.’

Sæbastyn Hyago has been in love with Captain Torýn Torhdhar since he
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

Perfect wintery short in the spirit of the holidays!

Bacon is a master at bringing her Order Universe to life and always leaves us wanting more.

So. Much. More.
Bev
The audio just makes this wee little shortie even better. Love the narrator, love the sharp British accent and could listen to stories in this universe for days, and inhaled this in one go.

Original review of the ebook

I love this author, I really do. Not many could write a super short story and drag me right back into the world she created quite like she does. I'm not a novella fan, I usually feel short-changed when reading them yet this one is the shortest I read and really enjoyed it. It's
Barbara➰
I’m beginning to think Ms Bacon has a bit of magic somewhere in her family tree. Maybe an elf or two. Or perhaps a fairy. She can weave magical intrigue into such a few pages, she must be touched by something.

This holiday shorty is part of MM Advent calendar. The writing has an Old World feel to it and is set in The Order world. It’s definitely a quickie but sweet holiday read. And can I just say, I love the cover.

As always, I look forward to reading more of Ms Bacon’s work.
Dia
5 stars writing. As always!
Related image
I adore Kasia Bacon's writing!! So unique! It's like you can really travel into the characters' world. I fell in love with both short stories in The Order series: The Mutt and The Highlander.

Even if I’m not a fan of fantasy books or short stories, Kasia Bacon makes me adore her characters. I was dying to read more about elves and archery, about their passions and their wars. I can't wait to finally read a full novel in The Order series!

Blessing and Light stands alone
Jewel
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I normally shy away from stories this short, because they almost always feel like they're missing something. I ran across this author's work a few months ago, however, and saw that she can write a short story like nobody's business! I loved The Mutt and The Highlander, so when given the opportunity to read Blessings and Light I, of course, said yes!

Kasia Bacon sets the scene for a Winter Festival so beautifully. In modern life, we don't often take the time to really enjoy holidays (well, I
Eugenia
Delightful!

This short had me on the edge of my seat!! Tension abounded in such a good way here. This was my first read by this author, and I was delighted at how well crafted this short story was.

I will definitely put this Author on my TBR.
Lorraine Lesar
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a little (just 13 pages on my iPad) titillating bundle of joy. Blessings and Light indeed, but I think Blessings and Delight might be more apt.
Just 5,000 words to make an impression. And the Queen of Quickies, yet again made an impression. She wanted to create an atmosphere of joy, togetherness and hope. She succeeded.
This is a free story for the 2017 M/M Advent Calendar and a 5* little cracker of a read.
Highly recommended.
SheReadsALot
Group Review with Ann and Sara!

See their reviews on the blog!

4.5 HEARTS--That massive frustrated yowl you can hear is me.

Once again Kasia Bacon leaves this reader wanting an entire book. A holiday short set in the Order universe with new characters, Blessings and Light is 5K of well constructed pining. I love well written pining.

Orderly & Lieutenant Sæbastyn Hyago has crushed on his commander Captain Torýn Torhdhar for years. He knows his quirks, his needs before his Captain even
Carol Flores
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, I don’t know how Kasia does it, but honestly, her short stories are so well-written that I can’t believe I just read a book with less than 5 K words. AND I LOVED IT!

I feel like Blessings and Light was a holiday themed book because in here, people are celebrating the Night of Winter Lights and we get to know a little bit of Lieutenant Sæbastyn and Captain Torýn’s relationship.

The younger Bastyn has been Torýn’s protégé over the last decade, and as you can imagine, he has developed
CrabbyPatty
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very short (15 page) novella set in a garrison in the remote H'Ran Fortress and a celebratory dinner on the Night of Winter Lights between Captain Torhdhar and his Orderly Lt. Hyago. The author does a beautiful job of setting the scene despite the shortness of the piece. 4 stars.
Melissa
Loved it!

This was such a cute and sweet story and the perfect length, I thought. I had all the information I needed to know about these men and their situation. Yes indeedy, you should read this.
Len Evans Jr
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, christmas
This short story is set in a different part of the Order Universe than The Order series. It is set during the Winter Lights Festival in a fortress on the border between the Empire and the barbarians. The author did an awesome job of dropping us in a new location with an entirely new cast of characters and had me feeling at home almost instantly. She quickly developed the two MCs into real people who I now want to know a lot more about. Another excellent short by Ms. Bacon!!
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Audio: 4 stars for the narrator.

Original Review: 11/24/17

It amazes me how Kasia can pack so much emotion in so little pages. I really enjoyed reading this and I look forward to reading more from this author.
Irene Sim
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so cute and soooooooooooo short!
Cadiva
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I give up. Really, this book is less than 5k words and yet it encompasses everything I needed to know about this corner of Kasia's fabulous world and these two new characters who are drawn with such an incredibly light touch I feel like I've already known them all their lives.

This is serious talent. The UST in this one was strung out at just the right rate and the ending was just beautiful. Sometimes you don't need to see everything on the page to know just how connected two people can be.

#ARC
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another amazing short story in the Order universe from this lady! How does she make you care about her characters and believe their love story with so few words?! I want to see these two again!
~Kristin~
4 Stars

Another great holiday story, and lovely that the author gifted it to everyone as a free installment.
I love this series, it always draws us in, but it is never long enough. This is truly a tasty snack.
Elena
Another exquisite short from the Order universe.

Please, Kasia Bacon, don't let anything bad happen to Bastyn and Toryn in the spring during the war against the Barbarians!!!

Again, I can't wait for the full-length Order novel! ;)
monika
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m totally addicted to „The Order” series. This one was short, one night story only, but definitely not one-night stand ;) and full of emotions...

for free

Apolishedreader
Where did my review go? I KNOW I posted it!

4.5 lovely, sensual stars

I am not much for fantasy reads at all, but I was offered an opportunity to read this short story and I was In. Love. I quickly got the other books in the series to read during winter breaks.
Kasia does something amazing with this short story. The characters have depth and feeling that you wouldn't expect in something around just 5k words. I was really pulling for Sæbastyn to get his man!
The steam is low, but the tension is high
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

When you read my other reviews to Kasia Bacon's stories you would have maybe noticed I almost gush about them because I am so captivated by her skills in writing and creating a story.

And I have to say: this story is no exception. It seems it doesn't matter if Kasia Bacon is writing a novelette or a short story: she always nails it. This work with less than 25 pages is full of emotions and she is able to put a whole
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

There are some people that just have a way with words. Kasia manages to craft this complete story, a lovely tale set in this fantasy land, with such precision use of those words. I've read entire books by other authors that don't do as detailed a job with setting or character development, making me feel like I'm not sure who the MCs are or where it's supposed to take place.

Not so here! I'm in awe of how these characters & this setting are so well-developed within such a short story.
Misty
And another frustratingly short but oh so good little story! I absolutely love the author's descriptive writing, she's able to paint a perfect picture with her words!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Series correction 5 20 Dec 10, 2017 03:25AM

• Shrewd Angel
  • Mr. Jaguar
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)
  • Bringer of Night (SPECTR Series 3 #2)
  • Brandon's Very Merry Haunted Christmas
  • Scorpio Hates Virgo (Signs of Love, #2)
  • The Remaking of Corbin Wale
  • Leo Tops Aries (Signs of Love, #1.5)
  • I Buried a Witch (Bedknobs and Broomsticks #2)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • The Prince and His Bedeviled Bodyguard (Paranormal Princes #1)
  • Mr. Right Now
  • Walking on Thin Ice (Ice and Snow Christmas, #1)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic, #1)
  • When Red Cried Wolf (Happily Ever Asher, #1)
  • Merry & Bright
  • After the Crash (Small Town Hearts #1)
A linguist and an avid reader with a particular fondness for fantasy and paranormal genres, KASIA BACON lives in London with her husband. When not tearing her hair out over a translating project, she writes stories about the shenanigans of emotionally constipated assassins and sexy Elves. Otherwise, she can be found shaking her loins at a Zumba class, binging on anime or admiring throwing knives ...more