Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Down Among the Dead Men (Forest Kingdom, #3)” as Want to Read:
Down Among the Dead Men (Forest Kingdom, #3)
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Down Among the Dead Men

(Forest Kingdom #3)

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  950 ratings  ·  25 reviews
"Ten years have passed since the Demon War. The Forest's scars are slowly healing, the Darkwood is still and silent, and few demons ever venture out of the endless night. But in a clearing not far from the Darkwood boundary, in a darkness where a sun has never risen and a moon has never shone, an ancient evil stirs in its sleep and dreams foul dreams."

And with those words,
...more
Paperback
Published June 23rd 1994 by Gollancz (first published December 1st 1993)
More Details... Edit Details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Down Among the Dead Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down Among the Dead Men

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
Average rating 3.80  · 
Rating details
 ·  950 ratings  ·  25 reviews


More filters
 | 
Sort order
Start your review of Down Among the Dead Men (Forest Kingdom, #3)
K.
Trigger warnings: violence. Lots of violence. Graphic descriptions of battles and injuries. A backstory in which a female character basically seduces a man so that she can rob him once he's naked and he kills her. IDEK what to call that, but it happens.

So if you guys have been around here for any length of time, you'll know that Blue Moon Rising, the first book in this series, is one of my ALL TIME FAVOURITE fantasy books. You'll also know that I love Blood and Honour, the second book in this
...more
Books.to.go
Definitiv der schwächste Teil der Reihe!!
2,5 - 3 Sterne...
Vilius
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy, horror
Trumpiausia iš trijų dalių. Šįkart su nuotykiai su siaubo elementais. Veiksmas vėl grįžta į Miškų karalystę, veikėjai vėl nauji. Susikaitė labai lengvai.
Dirk Grobbelaar
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, horror
A horror novel in a fantasy setting, this. The plot is as threadbare as they come and I never cared much for any of the characters. Yet, despite its shortcomings, this novel still managed to draw me in. It is a reasonably engaging read, if you're into this kind of thing. The premise is simple: a patrol arrives at a remote border fort to investigate its lack of response to any communication, what they find there is frankly Lovecraftian.

If you've read Phantoms by Dean Koontz, you'll also be noting
...more
Iryna
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: one-book-a-week
Третя книга з серії зовсім інша. Ні тобі інтриг, ні престолів, ні хитрощів.
Такий собі хорор і трешняк.
З цієї книги вийшов би першокласний фільм жахів, який би я не змогла дивитись. Плюс автору за реалістичність, за схему "герой+антигерой" б'ються проти ще більшого зла. Також за те, що його книги не відпускають.
Зроблю перерву в читанні його творінь.
Книга мені не сильно сподобалась. Читати її здебільшого було огидно, але якби починати трилогію з цієї книги все було б ок :) Після першої книжки в
...more
Me
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ожидала я от книги … Ну не знаю, лёгкого, не обременённого большим смыслом чтения с изрядной долей юмора (вспоминая «Тёмное сердце Лондона», где всё это было). Ожидания не оправдались ни в одном из пунктов. Персонажи не раскрыты абсолютно и неинтересны. Диалогов минимум, весь текст по большей части состоит из затянутых описаний всего на свете, от пейзажей до снов. Всё это скучно и уныло. Моря крови в заброшенной крепости должны бы вызвать какую-то дрожь, но не вызывают. Вообще. Не страшно и не ...more
Elektrohase
Nov 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Dnf'd it after 72%. It's lacking of the typical humor that I'm used to from greens other books. The characters were okay, I did quite like Flint and the dancer but I couldn't get myself up to finish the book. It was boring. I'm sorry to have to say that about a book from Simon Green.
Christopher D'Amico
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Duncan MacNeil and his comrades are the vanguard of the local army. Which means they get the dirty jobs no one else wants. And so they find themselves investigating a border fort that’s apparently been abandoned, leaving a void in the structure of local power. But when they arrive, just before the onset of a severe storm, they will quickly realize that the elements outside the fort may not be as bad as the ones inside….
Like the previous two novels, Down Among the Dead Men is a one-off,
...more
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Fantasy fans, Science Fiction fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Goodreads
So I'm just skipping along, and then to my everlasting amusement there was a bloody gruesome action scene. Here's an example of how surpised I was when I clearly saw it coming...

GIFSoup

I will warn you now don't read this if you don't want a few spoilers.
Even though this book takes place in the Forest Kingdom. It doesn't have any characters that are in the first books, but a younger generation associated or apprenticed to characters in previous books.Cool factor.
Yes, I miss the older
...more
Raj
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, horror
A decade ago, the Darkwood rose up and threatened to swallow the Forest Kingdom. It was driven back, but with great loss. Now a fort built on the border of the kingdom has gone silent and a small group of Rangers are sent to investigate, finding an evil more ancient than the demons of the Darkwood.

I didn't really notice the author of this book when I bought it, just caring that it sounded vaguely interested and was the right size to fit into my pocket, but Simon R. Green is known as a horror
...more
Shayan Kh
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
3.4 stars.

What can I say? A short book compared to other books of the series, Down Among the Dead Men is like other works of Green. Gory, but with less action than usual. Most of the book you are in suspense, and you don't know when something is going to happen. That, of course, changes toward the end.
The characters were forgettable in my opinion. None of them were really likable too. But that doesn't matter in a standalone short (relative to the rest of this series) story.
Then again, it was
...more
HeyT
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I wasn't as in love with this book as I was with the other Forest/Northern Kingdoms books. I think a large part of that is this is definitely more of a horror story and not a fantasy adventure. I enjoyed the different characters and how they were all developed through their fears and pasts but it didn't have quite the same magic as Blue Moon Rising and Blood and Honor. Overall, I did have a good time reading this especially because we get to see the Forest Kingdom ten years on from ...more
David
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Essentially a horror novel within a fantasy setting, this is set in the same world as Simon Green's earlier novels "Blue Moon Rising" and "Blood and Honour"; albeit about 10 years on from "Blue Moon Rising", with the odd reference to the events of that (better) book.

It's also pretty much rote stuff: there's nothing really outstanding about this book that would make it stand out from the crowd.
MarsianMan
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
The story took place over the span of about 2 days. It's just about searching through an abandoned fort and killing something dangerous. I am not sure why, but I was not as drawn in by this book as the others. It felt more appropriate as a novella rather than an actual book.

I would say skip it unless you are a diehard Simon R. Green fan.
Alexander Draganov
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Simon R. Green. The author masterfully blends fantasy and horror into one excellent, exciting and occasionally bone-chilling novel. I think that he could have used a darker ending, it would have made the book perfect. As it is, it's still, as they say about the "Deathstalker" series by the same author, "bloody funny and extremely bloody". Heartily recommended.
Eugene Van
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it
The book is good. I am very upset when I bought it though. I paid the price for a full book and its only 164 pages. Its really just a short story.

The story is excellent as is all of Simon Green's books.
Echo
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one, especially when I realized the link between it and the Rupert/Julia books. It's nothing very deep, but it's an enjoyable read with characters that are pretty well fleshed out. I like the grittiness of Green's writing.
Kathy
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Simon R Green book I read, after that I picked up Deathstalker and have loved everything he has written since.
Brad
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
kinda one-dimensional and very linear. It really feels like a mini-novella more than anything. Found myself tuning in and out as the simple 'dungeon raid' story progressed
Mandy
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Just not memorable. Nice little references to the Forest Kingdom from Blue Moon Rising, but really, there's a reason this is out of print.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
5
Ruby Ridge
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yet another winner - this guy is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors
Pylades
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really love this book. Why isn't it in print anywhere?
Nuranar
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-2015
Spooky! Similar to the Ghost Finders series, more than Hawk & Fisher, although set in that universe. But quite good, and not too long.
Raja Ram Marni
rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Davidoff Jamie
rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
David Lavender
rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Carrie
rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Justin
rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Shawn
rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »

Readers also enjoyed

  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Cat Who Lived High (Cat Who... #11)
  • Battleborn
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Dragon Curse (Shadow Detective, #10)
  • Shields in Shadow (The Silent Champions #1)
  • Maplecroft (The Borden Dispatches, #1)
  • Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1)
  • Ganymede (The Clockwork Century, #3)
  • Clementine (The Clockwork Century, #1.1)
  • Dreadnought (The Clockwork Century, #2)
  • Tech Mage (Technomancer, #1)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce, #1)
  • The Raptor of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles, #3)
  • The Call of the Sylvana (The Sylvan Chronicles, #2)
  • A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1)
  • Witch Of The Federation III (Federal Histories, #3)
See similar books…
2,695 followers
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
...more

Other books in the series

Forest Kingdom (5 books)
  • Blue Moon Rising (Forest Kingdom, #1)
  • Blood and Honor (Forest Kingdom, #2)
  • Beyond the Blue Moon (Hawk and Fisher, #7)
  • Once in a Blue Moon (Hawk & Fisher, #8)