Start by marking “The Legend of the Golden Raven (The Wicker King #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of the Golden Raven (The Wicker King #1.5)

The Legend of the Golden Raven

(The Wicker King #1.5)

K. Ancrum's The Legend of the Golden Raven novella, part fairy tale and part gritty reality, follows a boy as he descends into madness.

August and Jack werent meant to be friends. One is a misfit with a pyro streak and the other a golden boy on the rugby team. But as their relationship intensifies, Jack slowly begins to lose his mindtaking readers on an intimate

Published October 31st 2017 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of the Golden Raven, please sign up.
K. Ancrum Unfortunately no. This was just kind of something the publisher wanted me to write to supplement THE WICKER KING. I had written the fairy tale to be…moreUnfortunately no. This was just kind of something the publisher wanted me to write to supplement THE WICKER KING. I had written the fairy tale to be put at the end of the original novel back when I completed TWK in 2013, but they felt that it would be better in a separate novella and asked me to write a bit of Jack's perspective as well. (less)

Start your review of The Legend of the Golden Raven (The Wicker King #1.5)
Melanie
The Wicker King ★★★★★

There is a difference between being nice and being kind.

Oh my gosh, I am living my best life thanks to this short story! This month, I also read The Wicker King and fell so in love with Jack and August and how they both were able to give the other one what they needed in a world that wasnt willing to fill their voids. And The Legend of the Golden Raven is a brief retelling of The Wicker King but from Jacks perspective, where we really get to dive into the fantastical
C.G. Drews
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
"You're the love of my life, you know," he said bravely.
August just looked at him and shrugged. "I know."

This wasn't enooooough of a return to the Wicker King world. I NEEDED WAY MORE. (Says me about literally every novella I read.) I absolutely adore the Wicker King (um I Just read it 2 x in 6 months but ok) and it just pains me because I need to know more about August and Jack after the hospital. I just. I juuust. neED MORE OF THIS AUTHOR'S WORDS.

Anyway. This was by Jack's perspective and we
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer
Honestly I think reading this made me MORE confused. What even did I just read???????
may ➹

this was averagely good. I really enjoyed The Wicker King and thought it was pretty amazing, but this was a mild disappointment. I loved reading from Jacks perspective, and also reading the Legend of the Golden Raven, but !!! I wish it was gayer!! and had more from Jacks perspective. and longer. and talked more about WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE BOOK ENDED
Julie Zantopoulos
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2019
This was such an interesting novella that follows Jack's POV throughout the story told in The Wicker King. I loved getting more of the lore of The Wicker King and his Champion and oh, my heart for Jack and August. It didn't add a ton to the story but it was nice to visit with the characters again and get a look at August through Jack's eyes.
Karla
Mar 15, 2019 added it
3.5 stars!

Youre the love of my life, you know he said bravely. August just looked at him and shrugged I know.

Finally some POV from Jack, his battles and demons! And of course the beautiful legend of the golden raven. I hope maybe the author will give us more of August and Jack being together Id really like to see them as a couple already . ♥

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Jack's somewhat disorienting but powerful POV. God, I want to wrap him in bubble wrap.

I can't really say anything more for fear of spoiling The Wicker King but it gives significant context to the events of the novel.

And still has some feels:

"You're the love of my life, you know," he said bravely.

August just looked at him and shrugged. "I know."

If you enjoyed The Wicker King then this is a must read and free.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 The Wicker King ★★★★★
#1.5 The Legend of the Golden Raven ★★★★☆

After that thought, all at once, like a horrible cacophony of sound, the voice that lived behind his teeth whispered:
This is the love of your life.

Ahhh, I've missed you too much, little Jack and August (and Rina!). ♥

This was a lovely glimpse into Jack's side of things, and I enjoyed it so much. I only wish it had been longer and had focused more directly on Jack and August, and less on the (metaphorical?) side story of the brother
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog! It was originally a joint review for the novel and this.

CW: mental illness, hallucinations, neglect, and codependent relationship

The Wicker King - 4/5

Since I read these books back to back, I thought that I would be smart to kind of review these in the same post. Im going to talk about The Wicker King first, then get into The Legend of the Golden Raven. All clear? All good? Yeah? Good.

This story is about a codependent relationship between August and Jack
✧ k a t i e ✧
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
"Being kind is different. Harder. It means doing what is best even when the cost is high."

Actual rating: 3.5/5

Ehh, this was okay. I was hoping for more of post-hospital but I'm not mad about getting more August and Jack.

I did enjoy learning more about the Wicker King and King of the Wood. I liked seeing more of what Jack saw threw Jack's eyes.

I was hoping to get a little more than what what given, but for something that was free, I'm not going to complain too much. I do hope more August
Museofnyxmares
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blog Post: https://museofnyxmares.wordpress.com/...

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/museofnyxma...

4.5/5 Stars

I loved The Wicker King with my whole entire being and so it was very bittersweet when it came to an end. When I saw that there was a novella from Jacks point of view, I was so excited and just had to read it, and its actually free, so bonus! Some people have said that this novella was a big disappointment in comparison to The Wicker King, but I have to disagree. However, I can
Hollis
I feel this novella is so so necessary because it had some desperately needed Jack POV. I so wish there had been less of the other story and more snippets, though, but that's because I'm greedy. Oh hey it's free.
Konstantin
Jul 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Brief, unnecessary, uncalled for, and to top it all unengaging. Feels like a brief, uninteresting synopsis of The Wicker King events with zero expansion. Also, the character voice in this one felt inauthentic and off. Deeply disappointed.
Mariah
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A champion is not a who. It is a what. It is the kings lionheart. It must be faster than the king but always caught, smarter than the king but always humble; it must never question and only act. Build a challenge and the Champion will come. Fail and the darkness claims us all.

*INCOHERENT SCREAMING*
Cassie
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Wicker King and his raven brother were forgotten by the people, but the land is not so frail as man. Their triumph over the darkness and the legend of their sacrifice would ring out in story and song, still: in the rocks and streams, in the wind and soil, anywhere there were trees that grew tall in the golden light. Forever, until the end of time.

this was an interesting novella! while it was heartbreaking, it was interesting to see the world through jacks eyes. we got a little more insight
Emma
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars

I read The Wicker King just yesterday and really liked it, so today I obviously had to also read the novella. I think it was a nice addition to the storyline, I liked how the other world was described and the story that was told about it. I also really enjoyed seeing more scenes from Jack's point of view and having some kind of extended ending.
Leah
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't really like when novellas don't add to a story in any real, necessary way. Yes, we get an insight to Jack's world in this, but it's not needed for the main story. The characters aren't more developed here and only the fantastical elements of the main story have any real substance to them.

I'd pass on this unless you need to see Jack's POV.
Kyle
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, lgbtqia
A great little companion novella to an already great story.
Laura (laurascozyreads)
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
You like the taste of freedom? Jack joked.
Second best thing Ive ever had. August grinned.
Whats the first? Jack asked, blushing.
Dont ask stupid questions.

WELL GOODBYE, IT WAS NICE KNOWING YOU ALL
Nidofito
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The novella has deleted scenes taken from the few key moments of the novel. Theyre from Jacks POV, which was what I wanted at the end of the novel, so getting that here was nice. The novella also featured the legend of the golden raven featuring the two kings aka Jack and August, which I suppose was a sort-of parallel fantasy life that Jack was living.

Really enjoy the authors writing. It kinda reminds me of Maggie Stiefvater, with the mention of black birds and kings how could it not, but it
I am even more confused but I like it
Mona
LISTEN I'M JUST SO FUCKING SOFT FOR EVERYTHING THE WICKER KING RELATED.

How am I supposed to give a detailed review when I don't seem to be able to form any words? I loved the Wicker King and I loved this novella just as much. I loved to hear about the Legend of the Golden Raven and also having Jack's pov melted my heart.
Now I just want to reread The Wicker King.
Dorine
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I really dont know how to rate this!
My feeling right now says between 2,5 - 3.
Review will come!
--------------------------------------------
FULL REVIEW
--------------------------------------------
From the little preview that I read at the back of Wicker King, I expected that it would be complete fantasy, now that I read the synopsis of Goodreads I realise that I could've known that that isn't the case.

It switches between Jack's pov during the events that happen in The Wicker King and a medieval
Kristalia
full review to come later. not as good as the main story, but tells a lot about Jack's state of mind and the "true" story of the wicker king. in the main book i went through a lot of feelings and this just served to fill the void that was left.
Lucy Lowe
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-in-2018
Take my eyes; take my voice; take my hands; take it all. If the stars exist behind the night and there is a king who grants the wishes of kings, if hope is a tether that binds to the light, I'd pay all the years I have left in darkness, please don't take him.
K. Ancrum, The Legend of the Golden Raven: A Novella of The Wicker King

This book was really interesting in seeing more of the wicker kingdom, but also seeing Jack's perspective on his friendship with August.
Kistal Gordon
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love!

Youre the love of my life, you know, he said bravely. August just looked at him and shrugged. I know.
Kate
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-ya, fantasy, 2019
This novella takes the events in The Wicker King and places them from Jack's perspective - his hallucinations bleeding into a full-grown fantasy world. I'm not sure this would make sense to those who did not read The Wicker King but it was a lovely addition to that novel, a bit of a fairy tale with a happy ending.
Camille
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, read-in-2019

"But sometimes, August got tired. He stopped wanting to control things and started wanting to follow. And if he wanted to follow, then Jack had to lead. There was no one else around to take on that responsibility."

Interesting insight on The Wicker King, from Jacks point of view. I appreciated having a direct glimpse into the world he lived in for so long, as well as his ever growing feelings for August. I like the legend as well, but maybe a bit less than Jacks perspective.
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
3.5 stars. I loved that we finally get Jacks perspective (much needed in my opinion), and the full Wicker King/Champion back story. But it was simply way too short. ...more
Ola Magick
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Jack and August but his time I already knew their story and I don't think this gave us much much more BUT it was still very enjoyable and it made all the feels I got when reading The Wicker King resurface.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Deposing Nathan
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • The Electric Heir (Feverwake #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Bloom
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Opal (The Raven Cycle, #4.5)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Horatio
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • Pisces Floors Taurus (Signs of Love, #4.5)
  • Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)
  • Ziggy, Stardust and Me
  • Running With Lions
K. Ancrum grew up in Chicago Illinois. She attended Dominican University to study Fashion Merchandising, but was lured into getting an English degree after spending too many nights experimenting with hard literary criticism and hanging out with unsavory types, like poetry students. Currently, she moonlights as a legal assistant and goblin who skulks about writing in the corner of Starbucks."

The Wicker King (2 books)
  • The Wicker King