Start by marking “Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty” as Want to Read:
Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty

Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty

A good product roadmap is one of the most important and influential documents an organization can develop, publish, and continuously update. In fact, this one document can steer an entire organization when it comes to delivering on company strategy.

This practical guide teaches you how to create an effective product roadmap, and demonstrates how to use the roadmap to

Published October 25th 2017 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Product Roadmaps Relaunched, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Product Roadmaps Relaunched

Start your review of Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty
Erika RS
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This book describes a useful process for creating a product roadmap. The key idea is that roadmaps should not be about specific features. Instead, they should be for aligning vision, objectives, and the themes that are necessary to meet those objectives (with high level time frames). This high level view allows teams and their stakeholders to agree on general direction without committing to specific features (and getting caught up in endless discussions of timelines and technical feasibility). S ...more
kartik narayanan
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read the full review at my blog

tl;dr – Product Roadmaps Relaunched is an excellent guide for creating and maintaining product roadmaps.

The roadmap is a critical — and frequently missed — opportunity to articulate why you are doing this product, why it’s important, and why the things on it are absolutely vital to success.

What is the book about?
Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty is written by C. Todd Lombardo, Bruce McCarthy, Evan Ryan and Michael Connor
Kip Harkness
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Very useful overview but could have gone into more real world examples rather than speculation.... also not very clear on how best to operationalize
Mihai Rosca
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Your average PM deals with enormous amounts of data on any average day. Putting all that together into a roadmap is as much an art as it is a skill. If you go and ask, people will say it's fine, who doesn't know how to do a roadmap after all? However, it's amazing how many of us screw it up.

And so, Product Roadmaps Relaunched couldn't have come at a better time in my life. Not that it happened by chance, as I search for these types of books all the time. Anyway, what did I want to say?
Oh yeah,
KC
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came at just the right time for me. I was working on a project at work related to crafting a roadmap for our company's product and started poking around for industry best-practices about roadmapping in general. That is when this book turned up.

It follows the strong O'Reilly tradition of software-oriented textbook-like information that tends to be on the cutting edge of the industry.

The most valuable takeaway from the book was the instruction to differentiate between “features” and “use
Valli Nanduri
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are a seasoned Product Manager or an entrepreneur and if you are looking to streamline your Product Org's process, this is the book to read. I read similar books that preach different approaches to follow in setting up processes. Let me assure you, this book is different. Let me also warn you that this book is very academic. If you are not a reader who can breath academic books, you may not enjoy reading it. It teaches fundamentals of product right from the definitions of each term you li ...more
Mike Gunderloy
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a Product Manager - which is to say, that's never been my title on a business card (not that I've had business cards for twenty years or more, but that's another story). But as with many other fields in a small tech company, I end up pinch-hitting in this area. From that point of view, this is an excellent book, focused on balancing a lot of competing factors: predictability vs. uncertainty, multiple stakeholders vs. each other, sales bs. development and so on. There are plenty of useful ...more
Kristjan
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Topic of roadmaps for products is important regardless of domain. Yet often misused or understood. As authors put it “A good roadmap is not so much a project plan as a strategic communication tool, a statement of intent and direction.” This is well capturing and well structured book, offers some useful insights and practical pointers if you’re looking to work further/relaunch your product roadmap!

I recommend Product Roadmaps Relaunched to learn how to how to best communicate product vision, busi
Johnathan Strott
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
“A product roadmap describes how you intend to achieve your product vision. It focuses on the value you propose to deliver to your customer and your organization in order to rally support and coordinate effort among stakeholders.”

Fantastic product strategy overview. Recommend to anyone that makes decisions about products (or that suffers through the decisions of others)
Tiago
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great resource for roadmapping

If you don't have a functional roadmapping process, or if you know your roadmapping could be better, this book has many thoughts on how to get there.

It's a will written book that ramps up progressively through the steps you can take to have a roadmap that works for you.
Jesse Richards
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Product books I've ever read. Confirmed the broad strokes of how I make roadmaps now, but if I had read this book earlier, it would have saved me years of trial and error and hard lessons learned. And the book still has lots of tips and small points that are helping me refine my roadmap now.
Tim Rozmajzl
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's always good to have a framework when taking on these types of things. This book offers a simple framework and guidance for building your own product roadmap. The do's and don'ts. What a roadmap is, and what it isn't (definitely not a project plan). Very practical advice and examples to help you build and maintain your own product roadmap.
Shuan
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A recommended read for every product manager.

Very comprehensive cover of the topic, from the why, what, to the how of a product roadmap. After reading this book, I have a renewed interest in building a roadmap for my teams.
Mário Gago
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is an important part of my "new project kit". While it shows you roadmaps are not a thing of the past, it gives you suggestions how to adapt roadmaps to nowadays methodologies in an agile world.
Joe
Excellent overview of how a product manager can use road mapping and the road map itself as their main artifact.
Vitor Kneipp
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-2-product
Very handy and up-to-date read to have on your shelf if you are, or plan to become, a product manager.
Victoria Sun
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
這本書包含很多產品路線圖的知識,且很適合繪製路線圖的新手拿來作為工具書。裡面有一個Kano圖表有畫錯,可能需要注意一下。
Avinash
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Must recommend for B2B product managers. There are a lot of detailed insights which help product managers in day to day basis.
Olivier Grange-Labat
The main idea of this book is that roadmaps should not be release / projects plans.

They should instead be a tool that help communicate and aligns teams in a company on:
- what should be done (and its corollary what shouldn’t) and why (objectives)
- in which order (eg now, later, next)

It contains a few inspiring exemples of roadmaps and stories on how companies improved or rebooted their processes.

The accompanying website (www.productroadmapping.com) contains a summary of the book.
Siim Puskai
if new to prod. dev. space, then this is a good book. if you have some exp or have read similar book, then waste of time
Sandy Sage
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid approach to articulating a roadmap without focusing on features and timelines.
Gerard Chiva
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive and practical guide on the topic of Product Roadmap as a strategic tool. Key for Product Managers, Heads of Product and CEOs.
Nacho Bassino
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: product
A good summary of tools and techniques to achieve better roadmaps (and roadmapping process).
Jacob Sims
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 9781491971727 2 20 Feb 04, 2019 11:31AM

• Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Product Leadership: How Top Product Managers Launch Awesome Products and Build Successful Teams
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Testing Business Ideas
  • Strategize: Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Practices for the Digital Age
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • The Product Manager's Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Succeed as a Product Manager
  • The Unicorn Project
  • The Product Book: How to Become a Great Product Manager
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »