Start by marking “The Liar's Promise” as Want to Read:
The Liar's Promise

The Liar's Promise

How does a mother protect her child from the unknown?

During a visit to a local theatre, four-year-old Chloe Hollis becomes hysterical. But her mother, Mel, doesn’t realise that this is just the beginning of the nightmare. In the coming weeks, Chloe talks of The Tall Man - Of death.

At her wits end, Mel confides in Charles Honeywell, the headmaster at the school where she
Kindle Edition
Published November 28th 2017 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about The Liar's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Liar's Promise

Start your review of The Liar's Promise
Amy
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
4.5/5

I’m not usually drawn to books with supernatural elements, but after being totally blown away by Tilbury’s The Abattoir of Dreams I knew I had to read this one, and let me tell you, I am so glad that I did! It has the authors trademark dark humor which brings some much needed levity to an extremely menacing story, a lightening fast pace and a villain that made my skin crawl.

Imagine one day your sweet, innocent four year old child starts acting strange, and by strange I mean downright scary,
sue
This is the first book I have read by this author, I was struck by the cover then the blurb.
It was overtaken by the unusual story line

To all intense and purposes this seemed like any other family at first until we learn of a tragedy that happened with one of their babies.

A couple that seemed to be plodding along in life, as any couple or family until one night Mel takes her daughter Chloe to the theatre, but on entering Chloe kicks up a fuss and wants to go home, no way does she want to stay,
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Having loved The Abattoir of Dreams by the author I literally could not wait until he brought another book out. Well the wait is finally over.

I would warn people not to start this book on a night. I picked it up on an evening and was so hooked I could not put it down until I had turned the last page. So was a very late night.

The author commanded my attention right from the start. What an opening to a book!

Mel could be anyone. She’s a wife, mother and worker. Her life is no different to anyone
Eva
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5* --> 5*

Have I mentioned yet that paranormal and supernatural things aren’t really my cup of tea? But you guys, this is Mark Tilbury, who completely won me over at the start of the year with the absolutely brilliant The Abattoir of Broken Dreams! So when the opportunity to join the blog tour for his latest book came up, there was no way I was going to sit this one out!

Once again, the author effortlessly combines crime, suspense and the paranormal which had me on the edge of my seat from
Alan Cotterell
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Not to be read in bed

That was definitely different. A crime thriller with a super natural twist.
The prologue had hints of Chris Carter, so I was hooked from the start. There appeared to be 2 stories at first and I was wondering how they connected, but they definitely did connect. Somehow the story has text from Shakespeare and nursery rhymes interspersed with gruesome description and a touch of black humour. It works perfectly, moves at such a fast pace. I don't recommend reading before bedtime
The Book Review Café
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read The Abattoir of dreams by Mark Tilbury I’ve been eagerly awaiting his latest offering The Liars Promise, when this one landed on my kindle I was already half way though a book, but I thought I would take a quick glimpse BIG mistake twenty chapters later I was still reading, spellbound by a VERY dark, and VERY twisted tale. It’s not often a book can keep me that engrossed, but cliched or not I really struggled to put this one down. The Liars Promise made is part crime thriller ...more
Petra
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers, uk, ku, paranormal
This was a very fast-paced and disturbing thriller. The Liar's Promise was my first book by Mark Tilbury. I already have some of his other books on my Kindle and after this, I will need to move them up my TBR list now. The story line is very different to your standard thriller and has a creative, supernatural twist. That's usually not something I enjoy but it was well done here and extremely eerie. I liked it.
The dialogue between the characters was captivating and the self-centered, manipulative
Antonio
When four year old Chloe Hollis starts talking in an adult voice, speaking of violent murders that she has witnessed, and the frightening "Tall Man" her parents think she is remembering a past life.
When her mum tries to get her some help, she unwittingly brings her child to the attention of a sadistic serial killer, Who will do anything to keep his identity secret.
Caroline Vincent
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sadistic killer preys on innocent girls and we shudder to think what he will do to them. A little girl starts talking about the ‘Tall Man’ coming after her to kill her once again…

| Introduction |

A visit to a theatre shakes four-year-old Chloe to the bones. She does not want to die, she says but the ‘Tall Man’ is coming after her with the intention to kill. Her mother, Mel, needs all her strength to keep it together. Once safely home, Mel desperately wants everything to be normal. No such luck
Susan Hampson
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Now every parent has suffered the embarrassment of tantrums from their children at some point or other, it is normal right? a bar of chocolate, a toy or just darn right tired but when 4-year-old Chloe kicks off at the theatre it is far more than that. It is fear, full-bodied scared for her life horrific fight for her life fear. ‘The tall man is going to kill us’ she tells her mum. It results in her mum Mel taking her traumatized little girl home and an early night to bed.
What follows is a night
Books 'n' All  Promotions
This is a new stand alone thriller by Mark Tilbury.

Mel is a mother struggling with a traumatic past when her daughter suddenly starts to act strangely.

This is a very clever story with many intricate plots interwoven in its structure. There are gruesome parts and parts that definitely fit into the psychological thriller category but this is a thriller with a difference but I wont spoil it you will have to read it.

Mel hmmm I didn’t really like her character she came across as a bit neurotic and
Noelle
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oooooooo-eeeeeeee! What a book! Set in London/Oxford, Mark Tilbury takes the reader on a haunting journey to the past whilst keeping us firmly grounded in the present! There is power, control, an element of the supernatural, secrets, lies, loss, grief, abuse, torment, terror and an overwhelming desire for metaphorical doors to be closed.

OMFG the prologue! A gruesome and terrifying opening, some readers may find a little disturbing but just like Goldilocks, this opening was juuuust right for me!
Shell Baker
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all can we just take a moment to appreciate the cover which has read me written all over it. It’s quite something don't you think?!
Those of you that follow my reviews will know that I am a fan of Mark’s writing. He always brings us something dark and creepy but Holy Freaking Hell what a book…..love love love it. Not only does it have a stunning cover but The Liar’s Promise is without a doubt the author’s best book to date. You guys are going to love it!

The story starts off with one
Melanie Lewis
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Never has a strap line been more accurate. Indeed, I was spellbound and, after having an argument with myself at 4 in the morning, I couldn't stop reading and had to continue to the end! I am a firm cynic in the afterlife, psychic powers, mediums and their like. But I do love Mark Tilbury's books and this latest one is really superb and had me questioning my own cynicism. Poor Mel, she's had an absolutely rubbish hand dealt to her in life and I really appreciated the way she turned to cigarettes ...more
M.A. Comley
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge admirer of this author's work, but any books I've read by this author pale into significance after reading The Liar's Promise... what a twisted mind this author has as well as an immense talent.

This is a thriller on many different levels. I love the thought of reincarnation but this absolutely scared the pants off me.

I wondered how the two parts of this story would merge but they did more than that, they collided on a massive scale.

Mel visits a theatre with her four-year-old
Donna Maguire

This is the first book that I have read by this author, I own all of his books and have them ready to read and feature on my blog in 2018 but after seeing the reviews coming in for this one I knew it was a book I needed to bump up my to read pile and I am so glad that I did - it is a brilliant book, absolutely gripped me and I was completely hooked until the end, I certainly didn't want to put it down after I had picked it up!!

The cover immediately drew me
Colette Lamberth
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book that straddles a few different genres and while the blurb is accurate it really doesn’t prepare you for what’s to come. I was prejudging this book based on having read The Revelation Room by Mark Tilbury but it pleasantly surprised me and I far preferred it to the earlier work. There are some fairly gruesome descriptions but also an element of humour so overall it is an easy read.
My thanks to Bloodhound Books for the copy of The Liar’s Promise.
Julie Lacey
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
The story gripped me from the beginning and just didn’t let go.
This is a crime thriller with a supernatural twist and one which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Four year old Chloe is starting to behave differently and say things that she would never know about her dead grandmother.
She’s also saying other phrases and drawing pictures that are not possible for someone her age.
Her parents don’t know what to do but events soon take a very nasty turn and then they’re all fighting for their
Ange
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth book by the wonderful Mark Tilbury and my favourite one so far. The author's signature dark humour breaks the tension of a sometimes disturbing psychological thriller. Mr Tilbury has such a talent for creating horrific 'baddies' and Peter King is the epitome of evil. Four year old Chloe's behaviour is sinister - the dialogue between her and her mum so well written.
The narration as always is superb, drawing the reader in from the prologue and holding on to them until the final
Neats
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Mel takes her four year old daughter Chloe to the local theatre, she is stunned when Chloe starts screaming, refusing to go any further than the foyer because she's afraid of the 'Tall Man' and she doesn't want to die. Nothing will calm her down so Mel takes her home, manages to calm her daughter down and settle her into bed, but this unsettling incident is just the beginning of a very eventful night!

Over the course of the next few days Chloe's behaviour changes dramatically, she draws
Sophie Bristow Harris
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The Liar's Promise" by Mark Tilbury - Wow! I just loved this book. It was fast paced and totally addictive. I spent every spare moment reading, avoiding anything that wasn't vitally important so I could fully enjoy this fabulous book.
It has a cracking storyline, I really liked the Shakespeare aspects of it, the pure evilness poured through the pages.
This is the first book I've read by this author, I cannot wait to read his others - a new favourite of mine. Highly recommended if you like a taut,
Lynsey Spedding
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After being completely blown away by Tilburys Abattoir of Dreams I couldn't wait to start this book. In his usual style, I was completely gripped, my heart was pounding and if I'm honest, had to put the light back on.
The Liar's Promise is fast paced, completely addictive and gruesome. Everything I love in a good thriller! Awesome book, a safe 5 stars!
Kerry
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OH. MY. GOODNESS!!

I am so honoured to have been able to read an advance copy of The Liar's Promise. A big thank you to the author and publisher for my ARC. I will be recommending this book to anyone and everyone.

To describe this book as disturbing would be a massive understatement! I absolutely LOVED it! Not quite sure what that says about me ;-) but I know there will be many, many, many people who will agree.
There are two storylines on the go in this book and the way they collide with each
Diane Hogg
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you remember the game Buzz Off where you need a steady hand to beat the buzzer, your adrenaline flows as you concentrate really hard, well The Liar’s Promise by Mark Tilbury requires a firm hand to control the rush of additive behaviour as I delved deep into the dark psychological mind of Mark Tilbury, trying to beat that book buzz.

Holy Hell an amazing stand alone psychological crime thriller with a touch of supernatural elements, can anyone want for more.

The Liar’s Promise hauls you in with
Craig Gillan
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this disturbing thriller, some really warped characters that get under your skin
Alexina
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
if I could give this more stars I would

The Baddie has come to town and is tormenting Chloe, but how and why? She is only a small child.
I love intense thrillers where you don't know what path you are being led down, or whether you should follow.
The Tall Man, is one creepy, disturbed individual and has a method in his madness and madness in his methods.
This creeped me out big time, and I don't scare easy with reads. I wouldn't advise reading this alone in the dark...or actually, no I really
Mary Snaddon
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This is the first book I have read by this author. Now to seek more straight away, although a period of recovery is required! This book has sneaked in the back door of 2107 and entered my top ten. I stayed up most of the night reading this and then being too sacred to go to sleep. I loved the narration. I loved the story. It combines an ordinary marriage gone sour, the unfledging love of a mother, the supernatural, and Shakespeare with the Tellitubbies. I kid you not! I only throw in the ...more
Carley
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow this book gave me the chills I could not put it down! When 4 year old Chloe has a meltdown of epic proportions during a theatre trip with her mum Mel and starts ‘dreaming’ about the tall man coming to kill her I started to consider the possibility of reincarnation and other worlds. All the way thought my heart was breaking and I was on edge for poor baby Chloe and her little rag doll while desperately searching for the truth to come out. I love how relatable a character Mel is as she ...more
Jodi
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading Abattoir of Dreams I was thrilled to receive a copy of the Liars Promise to review and I wasn't disappointed!!

A page turner from the very beginning.

Mum Mel and daughter Chloe took a trip to the theatre not realising that a simple child's tantrum would change their lives forever.

Without spoiling anything I really felt for Chloe's parents, Mel and Tony, as the rational part of you must tell you things that are happening can't be true but seeing is believing surely ?

The Tall Man,
Selina Trafford
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story. Loved the characters and the way they interacted. The game was a wonderful idea although I wouldn't want to take part. This is well recommended
« previous 1 3 next »
UK Book Club: The Liar's Promise - 99p for a limited time. 1 4 Dec 02, 2018 11:59AM
Goodreads Authors...: Half price dark thriller 1 4 Mar 19, 2018 08:46AM

• Captor
  • Maggie
  • The Dead Whisper
  • The Paramedic's Daughter
  • A Mother's Lie (The Secrets of Suburbia #1)
  • Faceless (DI Rosalind Kray, #1)
  • The Missing Children (DI Kayli Bright Trilogy, #1)
  • Simon Says
  • A Cold Cold Heart
  • The Camera Lies
  • The Abandoned
  • Lies that poison
  • Best Friends Forever
Mark lives in a small village in the lovely county of Cumbria, although his books are set in Oxfordshire where he was born and raised.

After being widowed and raising his two daughters, Mark finally took the plunge and self-published two books on Amazon, The Revelation Room and The Eyes of the Accused.

He's always had a keen interest in writing, and is extremely proud to have had seven novels