Start by marking “No Recipe: Cooking as Spiritual Practice” as Want to Read:
No Recipe: Cooking as Spiritual Practice

No Recipe: Cooking as Spiritual Practice

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  65 ratings  ·  13 reviews
“Instilling the food you prepare with your spirit and good heart is a great undertaking—one that will nourish you in the doing, in the offering, and in the eating.” With No Recipe, renowned author of The Tassajara Bread Book (Shambhala, 1970) Edward Espe Brown invites us into his home and kitchen to explore how cooking and eating can be paths to awakening and realization.

R
Paperback
Published May 1st 2018 by Sounds True Publishing

To ask other readers questions about No Recipe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Recipe

really liked it 4.00  ·

Fussnik
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
People tend to confuse meditation with exotica: sitting in poses that hurt the knee, buying silk cushions, going somewhere other than where you are. Ed Brown brings the lessons he has learned into the kitchen and we see that watching the mind, and noticing how it chooses to see things, is the core of meditation. We can do it while cutting, while chewing.

"Entering the sacred space of the kitchen, we don't know what will happen. We shift from the preoccupation of being in control to the focus of
Rachel
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous, deep Zen connections between cooking and Buddhism.
Cindy Payne
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I couldn't get enough as I read the first 50 pages. But after that, it really slowed down a lot for me and became hard to read. The stories are very disjointed. However, when read in pieces the information is good and I enjoyed the opportunity to think about growing, becoming, and reflecting through the process of cooking.
Roben
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have cherished all books by way of Edward Espe Brown. He calls for presence in the kitchen. Love.
Steven
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little uneven. There are weird digressions into things like veganism that feel a bit out of place. I preferred Thích Nhất Hạnh's Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life (and, which re-reading my review, I wasn't in love with either).
Carol
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book kept my attention despite, on occasion, a bit too much Zen philosophy for my brain. I liked how very personal it is. I garnered reinforcement for my love of cooking, tasting, and sharing, through the examples in his life. I'm glad to own this book because I will return to it again.
Cherie
Musings and mullings on what it was like to be the head of the Tassajara Kitchen, cooking, eating and Zen living
Eric Loflin
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book.
Victoria Peipert
Ilaria
Feb 15, 2019
Den
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am reviewing this book for Edward Espe Brown, Sounds True Publishing, and NetGalley who gave me a copy of their book for an honest review.
I thought this was going to be a cookbook so was disappointed to find it wasn’t. I skim read bits but wasn’t interested enough to read the whole thing. Don’t think it will appeal to the average person.
Memrich
Dec 15, 2018
Samantha Hobson
Feb 25, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Edward Espe Brown is a Zen Buddhist priest and professional chef.
“You Mean It You cook because you decide to cook. You decide to take it on and everything that comes with it. You cook because you mean it. Your heart and hands work more and more in alignment with your clear intention. You’ll see it through because you decided to see it through—and because the work itself is making your love manifest. Food appears!” 0 likes
“Over many years, I found that if I could relate with food with warmhearted compassion, eventually I could learn to treat people with love and respect, and I could touch my own wounds with tenderness.” 0 likes