Start by marking “Sea Witch” as Want to Read:
Sea Witch

Sea Witch

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  3,740 ratings  ·  1,029 reviews
Everyone knows what happens in the end. A mermaid, a prince, a true love’s kiss. But before that young siren’s tale, there were three friends. One feared, one royal, and one already dead.

Ever since her best friend, Anna, drowned, Evie has been an outcast in her small fishing town. A freak. A curse. A witch.

A girl with an uncanny resemblance to Anna appears offshore and, t
Published July 31st 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Sea Witch, please sign up.
Sarah Henning Hi! I was thinking of doing a Goodreads giveaway. Watch this space and thank you!
Sarah Henning Hi! Right now it is but I'm *hoping* it'll get a companion <3

Emily May
The sea is a fickle witch.
She is just as likely to bestow a kiss as to steal the breath from your lips.
3 1/2 stars. I gave myself a bit of a headache trying to rate this book. Parts of it were 2 stars, other parts 4/4.5, so in the end I've settled on this. But I will say one thing: this book is probably not what you are expecting. I hope it can find the right readers.

It's really a question of how much patience you have. And how easily you can sit through maritime chapters without falling asle
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I decided to make my own painted edges. They are not great, but I love them! I used purple to go with the purple in her eyes!

Book & Poster Below

A million stars for the cover and the poster I got in one of my book boxes and got laminated!

I liked the story! I didn't love it to death as I'm not a big fan of The Little Mermaid. But who cares, it was good enough for now and I'm glad plenty love it 😊

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
I wasn’t sure about this when I first started reading it, but I’m so glad I carried on! Around the 40pg mark, I became hooked on the plot. It ended up being hard to put down. Very unique take on the classic story of The Little Mermaid. I think people are going to enjoy this one!
Beth
5 Stars!

She knew that with power, the bravery to act would come.

I'm just going to say I hoped and prayed this was going to be good. Ever since I read To Kill a Kingdom I was hook line and sinker for any form of a re-telling of The Little Mermaid. I say that but this is the first one I've read since then. Anyway I'm going to be frank, this is a real slow burn, but I loved that. It really builds up to what is coming. You get the back story of a specific day in the past and it goes backwards and fo
Hamad
You can find this review and other non-spoilery reviews @ The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

“IT’S A PERFECT NIGHT FOR BURNING WITCHES.”

🌟 I learned to go into books without high expectations because the end result will be better whatever it is. But The little mermaid retelling? I am lying if I say that I didn’t raise up the bar a bit!

description

🌟 I recently read To kill a kingdom and that book was very good, it is getting much attention and for The little mermaid fans, it is actually a very good
Riley
Aug 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
this was just....not good.

reasons why this book did not work for me:
-there was no plot up until the last 50ish pages
-the characters were flat with zero development
-the two male characters were completely interchangeable
-the romances were the worst cases of insta love I've ever seen
-when the plot finally picked up all the characters became different people out of nowhere

overall this book was just flat out boring
Natalie Monroe
“Magic was barter—the right words, actions, potions for the right result.”

Well, that was... unexpected.

Sea Witch is marketed as a villain origin story, namely the sea witch from The Little Mermaid. Being the weird kid in the murder corner, I eagerly requested on Edelweiss, thinking it'd be a dark and transgressive retelling along the lines of Marissa Meyer's Heartless or Fairest. What I got instead was a quiet, rather literary novel about friendship and social class.

The story does largely unf
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

Sea Witch is one of those books that grew on me more and more with every page that I read.
I started it with excitement because I love The Little Mermaid and Ursula as a villain but also some hesitation because villain origin stories can be repetitive and unoriginal. But what I got out of Sea Witch was incredibly special!

"I could tell her that it's like the tang of summer wine and the sound of arrival bells as a new ship docks. Like the scent of salt and limes and the tinkle o
C.G. Drews
This story just shoved me off the edge of Plot Twist cliff and I'm still falling tbh. It was thoroughly not what I expected and the beginning had me slowly drowning...but that ending. THAT ENDING. The plot twists! The vengeance! The magic! The stabbing! It was so freaking good!

→ I do admit I chaffed at the beginning.
Like I went in expecting a sea witch origin story, but we get Evie, who is the actual sweetest Hufflepuff witch...she's a mistrusted outcast, but also BFF with the crown prince. (Th
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I was really torn about this book. I didn’t LOVE it but it kept me entertained and intrigued enough to push through until the end. It was the last hundred pages or so that really made this book great. Besides that, it probably would’ve been a solid 2/5 stars for me.

I am a HUGE mermaid fan. I love everything and anything mermaid and The Little Mermaid is and always will be my favorite fairytale. That being said, my expectations were very high considering I haven’t actually read a mermaid book tha
Alana • thebookishchick
I was so excited for this book and it turned out to be a major bummer. The Little Mermaid was my jam back in the day (it still is, if we're being honest), so imagine my excitement when I found out that 2018 would bring me not one, but TWO Little Mermaid retellings. Psyched isn't even the word. Unfortunately, this fell short for me in so many places. This review is definitely going to be on the shorter side because I just really don't want to rehash all the disappointment I felt while reading thi ...more
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
description

Thank you Edelweiss and Katherine Tegen books for sending me a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

"The sea is a fickle witch. She is just as likely to bestow a kiss as to steal the breath from your lips."

Urusla is possibly one of my favorite villains, and finding out that this was a Little Mermaid/Ursula retelling just got me extra excited to get my hands on this book.

The start of this book seemed interesting. I’m not the kind of person who gets bored easily when it co
Sara
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Sea Witch follows the story of Evie, a twelve year old girl drawn to the dark powers of the sea after the tragic drowning of her best friend Anna. We follow Evie on her journey from girl to young woman, wrapped up in the exploits of her two love interests, as she meets a mysterious young woman by the shore who looks just like her former best friend, and becomes determined to make amends for the past.

There’s no denying this is
Trina (Between Chapters)
I really liked this! I don't read many retellings anymore, and especially not many about mermaids so I don't have much to compare this to though. It did take me a few chapters to get into - until we actually meet a mermaid. A lot of it did feel predictable, especially considering the title, but it played well with elements from the original Hans Christian Andersen tale and the Disney movie, and overall I did enjoy myself.

TW: drowning/near drowning
noor
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
pre read: wait- you mean a story about my fAVORITE VILLAIN ON THIS EARTH, URSULA? someone find a pen and sign me the fuck uP (pleasepleaseplease let this be everything I'm hoping for rn)

aug.19: okay, im here. we’re about to read this. It sounds extremely soul crushing, so I’ve been delaying this read, but we’re finally going to do it.

post-read: wow. Someone please remind me to never read a retelling of a fairy tale if the ending ends up sad. I never want to deal with this pain again
An origin story for The Little Mermaid’s villain Ursula? Yes, please! I can’t help but have a special place in my heart for Ursula because that’s what I was almost named. Of course, the famous Disney movie came out in ‘89, and in the classic tale, the sea witch did not have a name. So the urge to name me Ursula was purely a German thing and thankfully it wasn’t my name because in elementary school, kids would’ve had a field day with this. Anyway..the name Ursula isn’t actually present in the sto ...more
Sabrina
Wow this book, I'm trying to form more words to express my love for this book but I'm just at awe that I can't form any at the moment. I highly recommend this one. And I'll most definitely reread it soon.
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
When I saw that this was Ursula's story before The Little Mermaid, I knew I had to request it (I also ordered a book box with it).  I love anything with mermaids and The Little Mermaid is a favorite.

This book really surprised me.  I'm not sure what I really expected, but I really liked this one a lot.

Evie is a poor girl with two best friends above her class.  Anna and Nik.  Nik is a prince and really shouldn't be playing with Evie, but his father made an exception because Evie's aunt has healed
Carrie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sea Witch by Sarah Henning is a young adult fantasy that is loosely based on The Little Mermaid. Being a fan of retellings and new takes on the stories I love this take on the origins of Ursula was right up my alley.

Evie is the daughter of a fisherman but not just any fisherman but the fisherman for the royal family. So while Evie was not upper class herself she had grown up with the royal children and became best friends with Nik, the prince. Nik and Evie had lost another good friend of theirs,
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 2/5

e-ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

DNF-ed at 37% :(

Ever since her best friend, Anna, died, Evie has been an outcast in her small fishing town. Hiding her talents, mourning her loss, drowning in her guilt. Then a girl with an uncanny resemblance to Anna appears offshore, and the two girls catch the eyes of two charming princes. Suddenly, Evie feels like she might finally have a chance at her own happily ever after.
But her new friend harbors secrets of her own.
Rae
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
First I have to mention that this is the most beautiful and mesmerizing cover ever!!! I really loved this, it was just the right book at just the right time and I couldn't seem to put it down!

Full review can be found on my blog, here.

Blog | Bookstagram | Instagram | Twitter
✨ elsa ✨
Jun 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf-on-hold
Buddy Read with the loveliest Hamad.
-----------------------------------------
DNF @ 39%

Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for providing an advanced reader's copy of Sea Witch by Sarah Henning. All opinions are my own and as honest as they can be.

"The sea is a fickle witch.
She is just as likely to bestow a kiss as to steal the breath from your lips."

This book is just a whole mess. I have been anticipating to read it since it was announced, and I just had to have it because it was a Little Merm
Giselle
So this is from Ursula's POV, but who cares?! Villains are so much more interesting than heroes anyway.. Kidding :P
Robin Bonne
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. There were parts that were really beautifully written, but they were so good they seemed to highlight how unhappy I was with the parts that dragged on.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Borrowed a copy from my local library!

I'm not going to lie, I was left feeling quite disappointed by the end of Sea witch. I absolutely love retellings and The Little Mermaid is something I grew up with as a child. But ultimately, the constant switching back and forth between the past and the present day left me confused and a lack of connection with Evie and Anna as characters. In this novel, the main character Evie is a witch but must hide her true identity, which is tricky since she is friend
Amanda
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG A VILLAIN ORIGIN STORY ABOUT URSULA!!

**I received an ARC from HarperCollins Canada in exchange for honest review**

First things first, Ursula is one of my fave Disney villains so I knew I needed this book in my life!

This is a unique take on the little mermaid with a rich story of loss,friendship, love and of course revenge. I found the beginning a bit slow but after the first half the pace really picks up. I am a big fan of morally grey characters and that is one of the reasons I love villa
Anissa (FairyLoot)
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-release
What a great read! I really enjoyed this.
Ellen Gail
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
"That little witch will be the death of you if you're not careful."

First 2/3: 1.5 stars
Last 1/3: 4 stars

A very, VERY slow start to what is eventually a good book.

Sea Witch was not what I was expecting. And chances are it's not what you're expecting either. The synopsis promises an Ursula retelling / origin story / mermaid tale, and it's not wrong. But at the same time it's a rich historical tale, focusing on love, friendship, secrets, the ocean, and some magic. You'll technically get mermaids,
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
OMFG, that synopsis!!! I haven't even read the book yet and I can already feel the heartbreak to come. And though I am never a fan of cover/character models, I don't terribly mind this one. I think it fits well. But anyways back to the synopsis, I'm crying already.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
October 2017 --> May 2018 --> July 2018
Ugh...
---
Wait, this went from October 2017 to May 2018? OMG why!!!?
---
While I am happy the title is no longer Heartless (so as not to be confused with the Marissa Meyer book coming out
Sarah Henning
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I absolutely loved writing this book and I hope all of you enjoy it as well! I've been blown away by the amount of support this book has received from booksellers (ABA Indies Introduce!) and early readers—I really couldn't ask for more.

That said, I wanted to give a little something back to you darling readers, so please see the space below for preorder prize pack details and a list of my Sea Witch-related events.

XOXO,

Preorder:

Everyone who sends an email to seawitchpreorder@gmail.com by end
Ending of the epilogue? 1 2 Nov 23, 2018 11:05PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Sea Witch by Sarah Henning - Restarting October 1st 2018 94 81 Oct 31, 2018 02:41AM
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • Mask of Shadows (Mask of Shadows #1)
  • Devils & Thieves (Devils & Thieves, #1)
Sarah Henning is a recovering journalist who has worked for the Palm Beach Post, Kansas City Star and Associated Press, among others. While in South Florida, Sarah lived and worked through five hurricanes, which gave her an extreme respect for the ocean. When not writing, she runs ultramarathons, hits the playground with her two kids and hangs out with her husband Justin, who doubles as her long-s ...more
“Though magic can shape life and death, love is the one thing it cannot control” 12 likes
“My heart is not mine to give because it is already yours.” 1 likes