Start by marking “Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley's Bill Campbell” as Want to Read:

Audiobook
Published April 16th 2019 by HarperAudio (first published 2019)

Start your review of Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley's Bill Campbell
Philip Joubert
This book fails both as a biography and as a playbook. It's thin on details and the rose-coloured lens of Bill makes it read more like a eulogy.

Evidence would suggest that Bill Campbell was an excellent coach. This book does not capture his playbook in a meaningful way and I learned very little.

It’s filled with stories of Bill being a hero without any description of what he really did. It contains such useless statements as: Bill swore a lot and could come across as a bit rough, but that’s fine
Steve Sarner
I read a lot of books on leadership, management and business in general. Trillion Dollar Coach was fantastic and has earned a spot on my top 10 list.

I was particularly excited to read Trillion Dollar Coach because I've always had tremendous admiration for Bill Campbell and the amazing relationships and accomplishments he had in forming much of the interactive age of Silicon Valley. In fact, I don’t know that there is anyone who comes close to being so involved and connected with so many of th
Brandice
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed to say I struggled with Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley’s Bill Campbell. It mostly read like a compilation of tips from colleagues, friends, and fans of Bill Campbell. While nice, it’s not the book I expected, and even given Bill’s coaching experience, seems like a stretch to call this a playbook.

I wasn’t familiar with Bill Campbell prior to reading this book - He was a former football player then coach, turned business executive, who worked with an
Frederico Cabral
May 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed feelings about this book. After a few pages I started to wonder, why did Eric decide to write it? Would it be a courtesy for Campbel? Or just a way to share Campbel's wisdom and coach techniques to a broader public? Regardless of the reason, Eric failed on both.

I wasn't expecting a profile so well described as Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson, but I wasn't expecting something so poorly written as this neither. There is not even his family involved.

Is there any take away from Bil
David
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Too light on specifics. Too heavy on name dropping. Very male. Quite simplistic. Should have been a Medium essay.
Bjoern Rochel
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, eng-mgmt
I bet this is going to be a divisive book. Half of the readers will probably passionately hate it, while the other group most certainly will enjoy or love it.

The first group will likely consists of people that are either pursuing Lalouxs Teal Organisations, are allergic to the idea that a manager can be a coach to his directs and peers (such as Appelo http://noop.nl/2012/06/egocentric-lea...) or in general hate sport or competition metaphors and analogies (like DHH for example).

So if you're in
Rishabh Srivastava
Some great anecdotes in this book. However, the authors didn't create a framework that codified Bill Campbell's legendary coaching skills.

The major points I took away were:

1. Candor + Care - give blunt feedback (and be harsh when necessary). But deliver it an envelope of trust (make sure that the person receiving the feedback knows you have their best interests in mind)
2. Treat teams - not individuals - as the fundamental building blocks of the organization. Chastise superstars when they let the
Herve
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had so often heard of this hidden secret of Silicon Valley that when I read about a book written about him, I had to buy and read it immediately. Which I did. And what about the authors: first and foremost, Eric Schmidt, the former CEO of Google… I had mentioned Campbell 3 times here:

– first in 2014, in Horowitz’ The Hard Thing About Hard Things: there is no recipe but courage. This is there I had Campbell picture just between Steve Jobs abd Andy grove.
jobs-campbell-grove

– then in 2015, in Goo
Mridul Singhai
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eric Schmidt & Jonathan Rosenberg share the leadership tactics of Bill Campbell, by means of interesting personal encounters people have had with Bill over the years.

Two key takeaways –
1. Be a human at work – recognize that people around you are humans.
The human values of love, kindness and care (which are foundational for interpersonal relationships) generally do not belong to a corporate boardroom, but practicing them can lead to great good – not just for the stakeholders, but also for the e
Rick Wilson
There are a variety of reasons I consider a book "great." Some books are great because they break new ground. Some because they re-categorize and redefine already established ideas. Some books are great because they summarize an issue better than others. This great book definitely falls into the second camp. Leadership hasn't changed over the last couple thousand years, I don't believe anyone who tries to sell me otherwise.

I wouldn't say it's a "drop everything and read this" book. No "groundbr
Regimantas Urbanas
This book is highly overlooked and undervalued, based on the number of reviews it has on Goodreads ;) it's a must read for anyone working in a team, leading a team or just trying to live a purposeful life and make all people around them better, happier and more effective.

Football coach who has turned to be the greatest Business coaches of our times. Bill was a coach in some of the biggest tech companies of the Silicon Valley - Google, Apple, Amazon, just to name a few ;) he was coaching the fou
B
Jun 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd really love to understand why this book is rated so highly, for me it didn't go much beyond clichés and adoration. I get that Bill Campbell is a great coach and maybe he was ahead of his time - even more so, this doesn't do him justice.

The main messages of the book are:
- Trust is important
- Teams are good, you should not only focus on top players
- Love and compassion are valid in business
(- BC was this amazing dude who knew a lot of millionairs and billionairs!!!1!)

I think that the first two
ScienceOfSuccess
Oct 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is a typical NYT Business Bestseller about someone who died.

tl;dr HE WAS SO FUCKN AMAZING. HOW DOES HE DID ALL OF THIS? WOW, ONLY HE KNOWS, AND WE LOVE HIM FOR THAT.

Please don't waste your money and time on this book.
Herve Tunga
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not as organised as I would have liked (me being picky here). It's a great book and I have a new role model. ...more
Vartika
This is one of the most ‘low on new knowledge’ books about business, coaching and leadership I have ever read.

Wonder why did Eric even decide to write it/ why he didn’t chose better content.

The book just throws around names of one Silicon Valley executive after another who got coached by Bill without really getting into the details about how he exactly coached/ developed those relationships.

It’s one long praise for Bill who I am sure the authors were really in awe of and admired but they fail ba
Marco
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another of those book written by CEO about CEO that keeps disappointing.

The rate on Goodreads was above 4/5 with 2k votes, I had high expectations about it, right after the first two chapter it's clear it's going to disappoint. I kept reading.

It doesn't provide any special insights, which you'd expect from "a trillion dollar coach" narrated by Google ex CEO. Just too vague, too basic.

I always wonder if Eric Schmidt and the other big star CEOs are:
1) keeping secrets to themselves
2) using ghost wr
Rohit Nallapeta
This book is a trillion dollar let down - the book doesn't measure up to the man, the legend, the coach. I'd have loved to channel Bill Campbell's colorful language in this review, but out of respect to him and the author's pedigree and hard work, I refrain. There are some great anecdotes, examples, and situations in this book but the codification of the principles, if any, are really poor. I had very high expectations from this book and came away disappointed. ...more
Kair Käsper
Nov 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: people
What a great eulogy, what a terrible (leadership) book.

All I got from this book was a deep look into how the halo effect works in real life. Bill Campbell was an extremely likable guy and this book makes him into Jesus. Even the negatives or "mistakes" discussed on a few pages are made out as valuable lessons that made Bill much better.

Without a doubt most of Bill's success can be purely attributed to his ability to form deep connections with people abnormally quickly. This, however, is somethi
Brian Rosenblat
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told through stories of those who worked most closely with Bill Campbell, there is wisdom in this book about what it takes to inspire and lead teams. Bill taught people how to bring their full, authentic selves to work. To be a great leader, you need to be willing to deeply support and connect with your people. He set a high bar for himself and the people he mentored and this book is a good reminder of how important this is.

Bill seems to have been a selfless coach and mentor and wanted to avoid
Tim Ingate
When Bill Campbell died in 2016, Silicon Valley lost "The Coach", as he was affectionately known.

Aside from his roles as an influential tech exec, Campbell was revered as the executive coach to Valley legends like Apple's Steve Jobs and Google's Larry Page and Sergey Brin.

In Trillion Dollar Coach, former Alphabet chairman Eric Schmidt, Page's advisor Jonathan Rosenberg, and Google's director of communications Alan Eagle share lessons they gathered from 80 of Campbell's students that you'll want
Vlad
Aug 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a decent book summarizing the behaviors of one of Silicon Valley's most excellent executives. Because Bill Campbell didn't participate in the book, it's constructed posthumously, and because it's written by a couple of Bill's adoring fans, it's not anywhere near the excellence of something you'd get from an actual professional biographer such as Chernow or Isaacson. Still, was an interesting read. ...more
Michael Shaw
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I always appreciate reading books that give an insider's view into the lives of impressive people. Campbell seems like one of those, and the bevy of quotes from his friends and coachees supports that.

Still, as a book, this was lacking. There wasn't much there beyond the anecdotes, and it never really lived up to it's title.
Kirt Fitzpatrick
Only book on management I've ever read that describes my own personal philosophy around leadership. It's about enabling individuals, cohesiveness, and yes, love. ...more
Arani Satgunaseelan
Bill Campbell is a legend. Good reminder to just be a good human in business
Jay Hennessey
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coaching
I really enjoyed reading this book and learning about Bill Campbell. Tim Ferriss’ interview with Eric Schmidt was the perfect primer to this book. I really enjoyed learning about the tech companies if Silicon Valley and the impact that Bill had with many of their leaders.

As much as I found this book to be enjoyable and interesting, I was really hoping to learn the unsuspected secrets of Bill’s success. The secret was that he was able to do all the things that most people know, but just do not do
Lena Rakhimova
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me this book mostly is about human relationstips at work. For example, to start a meeting with the small personal talk instead of just moving to agenda. Give a personal attention to colleagues which can take only 5-10 minutes of talk in a common space, like the kitchen, elevator and so on. I personally like idea to start one of the meetings, for example, after a vacation with a presentation how the trip went and personal impressions. Several facts supported by research findings which are pro ...more
Victor Razvan
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that isn't intended to offer specific tools for coaches and managers but to put you in state of mind and feeling where you realize that leading is more a job for the heart than for the brain. ...more
Nicole Glaros
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bill Sounds like an amazing human, the book made me a little sad I didn’t know him. It was a good book on coaching in general, although none of his practices were new to my ears. I did enjoy reading it and learning about him though.
Nabil
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story about Bill. Empathy and love go a long way in building strong teams.

Kenneth Sowers
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
short readable filled with excellent insights
San Jose erotic nuru massage 1 1 Apr 14, 2021 09:21PM

• What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • No Rules Rules: Netflix and the Culture of Reinvention
  • Measure What Matters
  • Secrets of Sand Hill Road: Venture Capital and How to Get It
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • Empowered: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Products
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • High Output Management
  • Invent and Wander: The Collected Writings of Jeff Bezos
  • Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love

Articles featuring this book

If you love reading as much as our colleagues, then your summer fun itinerary will most likely include books. To help inspire...
“Not what happened and who’s to blame, but what are we going to do about it?” 2 likes
“Keep note of the times when they give up things, and when they are excited for someone else’s success.” 2 likes