Start by marking “American Entrepreneur: How 400 Years of Risk-Takers, Innovators, and Business Visionaries Built the U.S.A.” as Want to Read:

America is the ultimate start-up venture – and these are the heroes who made it happen

The history of the United States is, to a remarkable degree, the story of its entrepreneurs, those daring movers and shakers who dreamed big and risked everything to build better lives for themselves and their fellow Americans.
Drawing on his own family's remarkable journey, Duck Commande
Published November 20th 2018 by William Morrow (first published November 13th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about American Entrepreneur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Entrepreneur

Start your review of American Entrepreneur: How 400 Years of Risk-Takers, Innovators, and Business Visionaries Built the U.S.A.
William
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent treatment of entrepreneurship in America from multiple views, easy-to-read, and enjoyable. The first part is the history of business/ economic innovation in America, from the time before there was an America. Doyle, the historian in this duo, provides a thorough and balanced recounting of the building of our country. Since he covers business people from all walks of life and backgrounds, other than just the titans of industry, Doyle paints a very complete picture of successf ...more
Brandon Still
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Growing up, I came to love Willie Robertson, his family, and what he has built. In American Entrepreneur, Willie lays out what it has looked like over the years to be a risk taker, and a business owner. As he dives deep into American entrepreneur history dating back to the revolution, we get to see what it has taken over the years to be successful. In the end, Willie ties in stories of his family, his inspiration, and how his faith has lead his businesses and his family. Willie illustrates chara ...more
Marie
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, nonfic
Truly interesting book, and I learned quite a bit; not very deep and Willie Robertson has a few talents that are stronger than historical research and writing.

The title is definitely not a hyperbole: Willie really does start 400 years ago, before America was America. He then proceeds to cover the highlights of businessmen (and a few businesswomen) through the course of our country's history. This is by no means an exhaustive history of how businesses shaped our country, but you're likely to lear
Thomas
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think my problems with this book stem more from my expectations of what I was getting, rather than the content of the book.

As a general survey of popular / fairly well-known business men and women, it does its job. There isn't really anything here that you won't have learned in a good high school social studies class.

It was somewhat scant on the growth of the Robertson family business. What I was hoping to get was the nitty-gritty behind the scenes details of growing and running the business
Shena Omotola
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love the numerous stories of people who became successful entrepreneurs. Most of the business owners who have become very successful didn’t have a great beginning in life. The way the author incorporated told their stories is a reminder that each one of us has the ability to do something great in life. It was a great reminder for me and an inspiration to keep pushing forward with my dreams.
Linda Phillips
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written. To be honest, when I realized the book was based off so much history I thought I was going to be bored, but I was in for a surprise. This book was Insightful and educational. It was interesting to read about so many American Entrepreneurs who’s names still stand out today and I loved how Willie tied it all back to the Holy Bible at the end.
Cory Saint-Esprit
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well I cannot say enough about this. I worked through it slowly and methodically but it reads like a good story. It’s linear going throughout history with great stories of entrepreneurs. It gives a decent amount of history on their own business but not too much. 90 percent is focused on others. Wow! A must read for any entrepreneur.
Daniel
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
My favorite chapter we the chapter about George Washington and Robert Morris. It was exciting to read. I also liked the appendix with all the quotes. It was fun to read about all the entrepreneurs. I enjoyed reading the book.
Ian
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh. Nothing original here. I learned a fact or two, but no broader understanding.
Nicky Billou
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant book, outlining the history of American entrepreneurship and celebrating the American Entrepreneur. If you are an entrepreneur or aspire to be one, this book is for you.
Patsy
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-bio-autobio
Excellent book to read. It provides a simple overview of some of the greatest entrepreneurs in history - past and present. It also demonstrates the power of faith.
Kyle Heon
Dec 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. Learned a lot about early America as a result.
Anoop Dixith
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
American Entrepreneur is one of the very inspiring books I read in a long time. Loved the way the author portrays the Founding Fathers as entrepreneurs who built unparalleled empires! I had never looked at Pilgrims, George Washington, Hamilton, and other early American pioneers as entrepreneurs. But now I see them as that, it's hard to think of them as anything but that - mega-entrepreneurs who started a start-up and made it an empire from sheer hard-work and dedication!
The way the author unea
Feb 07, 2019
Kay
Dec 19, 2018
Michal Pekarcik
rated it did not like it
Mar 23, 2019
Karissa
Apr 23, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sam Walton: Made In America
  • The Complete Negotiator: The Definitive Audio Handbook From the Father of Contemporary Negotiating
  • Rise of the Mystics (Beyond the Circle, #2)
  • Rise of the Governor (The Walking Dead #1)
  • The Motive: Why So Many Leaders Abdicate Their Most Important Responsibilities
  • Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
  • The Theft of America’s Soul: Blowing the Lid Off the Lies That Are Destroying Our Country
  • The 49th Mystic (Beyond the Circle, #1)
  • The Laws of Human Nature
  • The Road Ahead
  • Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist
  • The Dave Grohl Story
  • Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different
Willie Robertson is president of Duck Commander, founder of Buck Commander, and an executive producer of Duck Dynasty and Buck Commander Protected by Under Armour.

There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.