Start by marking “Grumpy Monkey” as Want to Read:
Grumpy Monkey

Grumpy Monkey

(Grumpy Monkey #1)

A hilarious picture book about dealing with unexplained feelings…and the danger in suppressing them!

Jim the chimpanzee is in a terrible mood for no good reason. His friends can’t understand it—how can he be in a bad mood when it’s SUCH a beautiful day? They encourage him not to hunch, to smile, and to do things that make THEM happy. But Jim can’t take all the advice…and ha
Published May 15th 2018 by Random House

Start your review of Grumpy Monkey
Calista
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Monkey fans
Monkey lives in the beautiful jungles. One day he wakes up grumpy and he knows somethings off. Everyone is asking him what's wrong and he's tired of everyone on him. So he's grumpy, let it be. He blows up and finally he's able to realize that it's a good day to be grumpy.

It's a great story about sometimes we just have to sit with our feelings. One of my favorite things about Whinnie-the-Pooh is how they include Eeyore. They don't expect him to be happy, he can join the group and still be sad and
Dan Schwent
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, 2019-books
I bought this for my infant son a couple weeks ago but didn't read it to him until today.

Basically, a chimp named Jim Panzee (get it?) wakes up in a bad mood and his friend Norman won't let him enjoy it in peace. Norman drags Jim all over the jungle, trying to cheer him up, until he gets into a fight with a porcupine and winds up in a bad mood himself.

I didn't see that twist at the end coming. I like that the book ended with both Jim Panzee and Norman pissed off. Norman trying to cheer Jim up re
Sara
My husband is a professional illustrator. Consequently you have to be bloody good at what you do to get me to enjoy your children's picture book let alone impress me enough to get me to read your book multiple times and point at various pictures and laugh like a hyena and try to pet some of the animals you drew because they're so damn cute and start cooing in an especially idiotic baby voice about how "frick'n adorable that angry goddamn monkey is!"

So hats off to you Suzanne and Max Lang!!!

Suzan
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

LOOK at that cover!!! :D

Jim Panzee woke up in a grumpy mood. His day felt all wrong even though it looked like such a wonderful day all around. Jim’s grumpiness showed itself in his tight stance, bunched eyebrows, and frown. Look at that face!!! Haha…I look like that on Monday mornings. As Jim moved through his day though, friend after friend ask about his mood and try to turn his frown upside down. So why is Jim in such a bad mood on such a beautiful day? Is there a reason? Jump in and
Donna Backshall
Jim Panzee, what a character. He's grumpy, but he won't acknowledge it.

Every one of us has been where Jim is. And then we've felt crappy about bringing everyone else down.

This is such a great wake up call to realize how our moods affect others, both good and bad.

LaDonna
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Grumpy Monkey is a great conversation starter about how it is okay to not have a good day, as long as you do not hurt someone’s feelings. Author Suzanne Lang tells of how Jim Panzee is having a pretty tough day, but he does not want to admit it when asked by his various animal friends. He decides, instead, to pretend that everything is fine and “smiles” to mask his true feelings. However, he ends up feeling worse because he is not being true to himself. (Even as adults we understand the dan ...more
Patrick
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
When a cute little monkey just needs a damn hug...
Philip
Poppy: Dad! I'm mad at you!

Dad: Poppy, are you pretending to be grumpy so that you can pretend to be not grumpy?

Poppy: Yes.

Dad: I thought so. What did you guys think about the book?

Eleanor: Uh, I liked it.

Poppy: I loved it.

Gwen: It was good.

Dad: Gwen, you know, I thought about you the most while I read this book.

Gwen: Oh. Um. Cool? Poppy, did you know that on Monday you're going to see me in a play?

Dad: Do you know why?

Gwen: Um... because I'm sometimes grumpy, I guess?

Dad: Not really.

Gwen: What?
The Reading Countess
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, picture-books
I want to be Grumpy Monkey's friend. Heck, I AM Grumpy Monkey 9/10 of the time. Picture books are deceiving. They hide big stories within their little bindings. This is a story we all need to hear: it's okay to feel your feelings, lean into them as long as you don't hurt others in the process.

Norman the gorilla's butt bandaged hanging with Jim the (grumpy) monkey at the end is classic. Look closely at the photos for hilarious side stories (the snake hugging his meal on one page, the snake fat,
Cheryl
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes we're just in a mood, even if nothing's prompting it. If we don't fret about it too much, it'll pass. What really doesn't help is our friends telling us to just get over it. This book is a fable for all ages, with cute illustrations (and the animals don't wear clothes.. yay!). I'm adding the sequels (!) to my lists now.
Lata
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
-Story: A book about it being ok to sometimes be grumpy. 3 stars.
-Illustrations: Adorable. 4.5 stars.

Total: 3.5 stars.
Hannah
A bit conflicted on the message here, so am going with an “okay” rating. I loved the clever illustrations and the side humor in them. It showed a realistic human trait through the medium of the monkey. I liked the message about being honest and not lying about our feelings. At the same time, though, I was a little concerned about the final message of sitting down and indulging in grumpy, since there’s a fine line between being honest and letting oneself be a mean killjoy. Jim Panzee made his fri ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cybils, picture-book
A monkey wakes up grumpy and everyone tries to make him feel better. It is only when he meets a grumpy gorilla that he actually starts to do so.

A fun little story of feelings and finding effective ways of dealing with them that is quite kid-friendly. Who hasn't woken up grumpy sometimes?
Ricki
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
YES! Sometimes we are just grumpy, and this is okay! I will be buying this book in bound form. It's a winner.
Maxwell Rae
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrator of this book is named Max, so that's cool. My dad really liked this book, and that makes me like it too. Dad said he's been called grumpy before, and he's pretty hairy like a monkey. We like making monkey sounds together and then giggling. Mum had to explain to dad that the moral of this story is that grumpy monkeys are allowed to be grumpy and that we should just accept that negative emotions are totally okay and not try to force monkeys to be happy. Dad was pretty impressed tha ...more
Kendall
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just wake up grumpy and no matter what you do or what others around you do or say, you are just grumpy...and that is perfectly fine. Jim Panzee...first, that name makes me happy...is adorable, and the artwork in this book is rich and colorful...and happy! Kids need to know it is okay to be grumpy for no reason...sometimes you just need to be grumpy and let it work itself out. I adore this book.
Mary Lee
Sometimes, you're just grumpy. And it's okay.

Sometimes a monkey is just a monkey, but these days, we need to think about anthropomorphism through more critical lenses.

Pooja
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
My mom always reminds me not every day is meant to be the same one. There are twists and turns,.some adventures and some fun, you have to go through it all. The Grumpy Monkey has a bad mood, a really bad one. And it's okay. It's fine not be the best versions of yourself all the time.
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sometimes it's okay to be grumpy for a little while, and then you can get over it. Really cute! Would make a good story time book.
Moonkiszt
Featured in today's grandma reads session.

Ever been caught in the middle of a mood tornado? Jim Panzee is . . . he is grumpy, and everyone he knows is trying to coax him out of it. You should smile, you should dance, you should wiggle, you should . . . .one does get tired of everyone shoulding on them. At least I do.

I truly appreciated how it ended. Sometimes you just got to let things be, and wait them out.

3 stars, swinging happily.
Caitlin
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Jim Panzee woke up feeling a little off and everyone keeps insisting he must be grumpy. So all the animals tell him to change his appearance so that he will look happy and nobody seems to listen when he insists he is NOT grumpy. Feeling ignored and criticized, he finally gets angry and goes off to be by himself. The story ends with the Jim’s realization that it is ok not to be ok all the time and that sometimes we have off days. The overall message was the reason for 2 stars but I did not like t ...more
Erin
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime
I wanted to like this book because I was planning to read it for storytime, but I was not a fan. Why can't the other animals accept Jim's statement that he's not grumpy? As someone who is constantly told to smile more because I look grumpy/tired/bored, I really felt bad for Jim. It's as if all the other animals knew better than Jim himself how he was feeling. I feel like, in the end, Jim was indeed grumpy because the other animals wouldn't leave him alone! Needless to say, I did not share this b ...more
Dolly
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2019, humor, childrens
This is a fun book about being grumpy. The narrative is humorous and I love that the ending does not 'magically' turn around Jim's mood. It's okay to be grumpy. At least occasionally.

Sometimes, like Norman, we have a good reason to be grumpy. And sometimes we are simply grumpy for no real reason.

The story is short and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish with lots of fun animals. It's a quick read and perfect for reading with a grumpy bumble.

interesting quote:

"'It's a wonderful day t
Susan
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Isaac is kind of afraid of monkeys and didn't want to look at this, so I just started reading it (he has been pretty grumpy lately) and he finally crept over to me and we both ended up really liking it! I didn't know where it was going but I was so happy with where it went. My kiddo got the message too - it's okay to feel grumpy sometimes! I've always hated it when people try to cheer me up when I'm grumpy so obviously I loved it 🤣
Racheal
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So expressive, with some great messages (sometimes it's ok to be grumpy for no reason, looking happy on the surface doesn't mean you're actually happy on the inside, sometimes being grumpy together with friends in an accepting way can make it all just a tiny bit better). I loved it!!
April Thompson
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
We should all allowed to have a grumpy day
Chris Hays
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like how this book focuses on the difference of feelings and activities. There is a bit of humor and a lot to process based on the idea that sometimes you can't immediately change an attitude.
Becky Boudreau
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this for work and thought it was super cute! We love a book telling kiddos that emotions (especially the “not so great ones”) are okay!
Erin Kelly
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a whole mood. Literally.
Xiomara
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
TBH, Jim was grumpy but Norman was in the wrong for going around telling the others. Jim just needed to take a day off. But I'm Norman at the end of the book.

• The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • The Serious Goose
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Neck & Neck
  • Hair Love
  • Truck Full of Ducks
  • The Epic Adventures of Huggie & Stick

Grumpy Monkey (2 books)
  • Grumpy Monkey Party Time!

News & Interviews