Start by marking “The Big Event” as Want to Read:
The Big Event

The Big Event

(Friendships Online #1)

You are cordially invited to the party of the season where you'll meet Constance and friends in action.

Published November 30th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Big Event, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Event

Dash fan
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5☆ A Quick Fun Sparkly read.

The Big Event - Part 1 is a very quick yet fun read!
It shows you the importance of friendships, how social media can be deceiving, uncovering people's true colours!
Plus it demonstrates just how powerful books can be!

Constance is a sucessful Author and uses Social media to help get her book out there, and along the way she has made some good friends!

When Constance decides to attend The Big Event Party, she is buzzing for the Social Media get together, and to meet her
Whispering Stories
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Constance Jeffries, author, is attending a swanky party where she will finally get to meet all those ‘friends’ that she has corresponded with on social media for the last few years.

However, she soon learns that not everyone is as they seem online. From an author sending out posts that he’s just given away numerous copies of his book, when Constance can only see one person with it, to those that don’t seem to even want to talk to her, yet are ha
DJ Sakata
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Favorite Quotes:

At the top of the grand staircase, perched on a bright-red sofa under a swirling chandelier is the queen of Instagram swiping non-stop on her phone… Only after seeing her in person do I realise how small she is; her doll-like feet are encased in a pair of peep-toe diamanté heels and dangle at the edge of the seat because her shapely legs are too short to greet the floor. She’s definitely been using a profile pic that knocks off at least ten years (and maybe a few pounds too).

I ge
Zoe
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great start to a story about love, friendship and the effects of social media.

Looking forward to reading how each of these individuals find happiness, companionship, and support from this mixed group of quirky people.
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
For those of us who have made friends via social media platforms, this story will really resonate!

This short story is about a woman who attends The Big Event where she finally gets to meet her online friends in real life. What she gets is mostly disappointing encounters as what she had perceived in her mind based on their social media presence, is tainted by how they are face to face. I think quite a few of us have been there before! But then that one person turns everything around.

"You just ne
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed this book a really nice refreshing read for me!

It was a fun read and quite light-hearted - I really enjoyed the character interaction and it really did make me think about how people behave at parties and the perception of others - I am a people watcher so this book was right up my street

I thought it was really well written and this is definitely a book that I would recommend and I have given it four stars!
Grass monster
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it

The Blurb :
You are cordially invited to the party of the season where you'll meet Constance and her friends in action.
Constance Jeffries is excited when she gets the chance to meet up with virtual friends at a get-together in a London hotel. She’s been tweeting and messaging her lovely friends for years and feels they must be just as excited to finally meet her in person too. Or so she hopes.
A short story about the importance of ‘real’ friendships and how it’s the little things that matter the
Elaine
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, it seems sensible to start at the beginning so we'll start with 'The Big Event' and then move on to 'The Weekend Spa Break' . . .

Constance Jefferies is an author who has been invited to a publishing party in a London hotel which will be attended by people who she calls her friends but has got to know online and never actually met them. There are some great characters, a disastrous dancing encounter and a very welcome surprise as she tries to leave. This is a very short, quick read and def
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Can I just state that this review for ‘The Big Event’, is actually for part one as the book is being released in the format of several short stories. Therefore, this book isn’t a full length novel as it is in actual fact, a short story which can be read in approximately ten minutes.

For such a short story, ‘The Big Event’ certainly left a mark on my soul. Using social media as the overall theme throughout the story, ”The
Linda Hill
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Writer Constance finds attending a real-life get-together of virtual friends from social media doesn’t quite work out as planned.

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Constance. Although The Big Event is a short story, Anne John-Ligali creates vivid characters instantly so that there’s a visceral reader response as protagonist Constance introduces them. I felt I knew them straight away.

I loved this short story. It might only take ten minutes or so to read (perfect for a tea or lunch break) but it really
Yvonne
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a really thought provoking book. I found the situation that Constance found herself in, to be quite believable. A lot of people have virtual friends that they virtually meet up with on an almost daily basis. Using this as the basis for the story, Anne has set out to bring these virtual friends together at The Big Event, a face to face meet up.

A great idea that shows what could happen as social media is more and more dominant in our every day lives. But there is such a lovely ending to t
Anissa
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
Recommended to Anissa by: kindle unlimited
This felt more like the opening chapter to the real story in this duology. I thought it was cute, insightful and it made me want to read what happens next. I loved the situation of a group of online friends meeting up at a Christmas party and realizing the disappointment when the real life person doesn't quite sync with their online persona. It was a good lens through which to see and think about friendship in the modern age and also served as a good mirror. This really should be tacked on to th ...more
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
What a brilliant part one to this short story series. A very easy read, written well and catchy story with a deep hidden meaning. Part one focuses on social media and online friendships and how people who you think you know well online can be entirely different in real life. It is an eye opener of a short snappy story which highlights in this century how much everyone relies and focuses on social media over social face to face interaction, which is a sad thought really.

I awarded five stars as i
Els
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Social media means keeping in touch with friends you know in real life, but you also get new friends you can share things with but only talked to through a pc or smartphone screen up till now. About time to leave the screens behind and meet up.

This might be an eyeopener because not everybody is totally honest on their profile.

This is a short story where the author introduces us to the characters. Although you might not hit it off with everybody, virtual friendships can turn into real ones.

It rea
Lucy Hay
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast and fun read with an important point to make about the way we conduct ourselves online (not to mention how others see us doing so)! Many stories end of cliffhangers or feel like round ups or snapshots, but this feels holistic. John-Ligali sets the scene really well, creating a storyworld to launch her new series whilst at the same time producing a contained story that is dramatically satisfying. The tone is warm, without being preachy or OTT; the main characters feel three dimensional and i ...more
Nicola Smith
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short story took me around 30 minutes or so to read and I really liked it. Oh, and I love the cover too.

Constance Jeffries has arrived at the publishing party of the year. She's hoping to meet up with friends that she only knows online, through social media, and she's really looking forward to it.

However, you know what it's like - often people portray themselves quite differently on the internet than they do in real life and Constance finds this is the case at the party. Just as Constance,
Ami-May
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you have lots of ‘ONLINE’ friends like me, this book will be really hit home although it’s told in a humorous way.

I’m going to be a bit personal as I do find it is relevant, due to my disabilities and mental health, I don’t really have any real friends to speak off in real life but I have met some fantastic ‘friends’ online mostly through facebook. This story really touched me and to some, social media is fantastic for those of us who really struggle in real life but also we all need to be aw
Alison
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this short story. I did wonder how such a small piece of work would capture my attention and provide any worthy entertainment. How wrong I was to prejudge!

The whole concept of meeting the ‘friends’ you find online will probably ring true with many people. You may share your deepest secrets and believe the relationships are true and meaningful but do you really gain an insight into that other person until you meet face to face or get to witness their behaviour unsee
Jessica
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
All my reviews can be found at: http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~
This review will appear on my site on June 1, 2019.
~~~~
The Big Event is the short story beginning to John-Ligali’s Friendships Online trilogy series. Constance is a writer and has been online friends for years with several fellow authors and finally has a chance to meet them at a party!  But things don’t go quite as she expected, in good and bad ways.  This short story introduces us to a variety of characters that we are sure to g
Amanda ChocolatePages
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely easy reading short story. I think the cover does a great job of representing the inside story, the characters and the sparkles. Constance will be an interesting and friendly character to follow and I am already looking forward to seeing what she does next.

The story feels like it is setting a base for more stories to follow, yet still being a very enjoyable read on its own. I think if you use social media yourself, you will be able to identify with the characters that Anne John-
Sonya Alford
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

When Constance Jeffries gets the chance to meet up with virtual friends who she has known online for years at a get-together in a London hotel, she jumps at the chance. She can’t wait to meet them all and she’s sure they must feel the same. Or so she hopes.

This a short story about the importance of 'real' friendships and how it’s the little things that matter the most.

I enjoyed reading ‘The Big Event’. I loved the author’s description
B.R. Maycock
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I always love a nice sparkly read in the run up to Christmas (yup, we're there people!) and I was already in when I knew that there was to be a glitzy event that took our lead, Constance, out of her ordinary life and off to meet people she had only met virtually. This is the story of meeting the people you think you know, only you don't, you know their online persona. And the people she meets are all about the online- seemingly more interested on tweeting and instagramming and publicising as opp ...more
Kate Avery
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well this is a very short but sweet book.

I liked that it was about being a part of an online community and that this was the first time they were meeting in person, really made it fun to guess how things would turn out.

It was nice that there was the comparison between what we see of people online and what they are like in real life and that everything isn’t always as it seems, but also that you never know how much you might impact someone without ever realising.

It was hard to get a good feel for
Grace J Reviewerlady
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great short story! And, even better, it’s just the beginning …

In this day of online friendships, this is a tale which has been begging to be written – and it’s so entertaining! As a blogger – yes, okay, a fairly new one – the one in the story made me giggle and look again at all my fellow bloggers profile pics. This is a fantastic view of friendships – both virtual and in the ‘real’ world and will amuse everyone with any connection to the book world – even if all you do is read them!

A bre
Felicia
Told from the viewpoint of author Constance Jeffries, this quick read could resonate with just about anyone who’s spent time on the Internet…and made a friend.

Excited, Constance arrives at a Christmas party, about to meet some of the people she considers friends online. Since it’s her POV, we get her opinions, which is fine. But for someone who’s anxious and nervous to meet ‘friends’, her overall opinions don’t seem complimentary even before she spots them at the party.

This says as much about Co
L.S.
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
For such a short read, the author managed to portray the mixture of excitement and awkwardness we all feel when (or if) we meet our Internet friends.
Constance Jeffries has come prepared with gifts for each of her "friends". But will they live up to their virtual reputation or is she to be disappointed?
One person who does exceed expectations is Estelle, and theirs proves to be a friendship that transcends the Internet.
I'm so glad this is the first in a series as I really do want to know more a
Bethany Clark
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun story of friendships through social media.

It's so funny to think that someone could be living within a 10 minute walk of someone else and now in this day and age of technology has never met face to face.

Her virtual friends come in all forms - the partier, the narcissist, the complication and the poser.

What a line up of characters, what could possibly go wrong?

What a fun beginning to this new series!
Lashonda Beauregard
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great short read to begin a short stories series. This book is a compelling read and it's a great contemporary story because it reflects how the world is so into social media, cell phones, and technology. The book is written in first person through the main character, which was a great choice by the author. Overall this is a great modern read that is relatable and compelling. Looking forward to reading book 2 to see what happens.
Nicole Fitton
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short short read. It took me about twenty minutes to finish. A great premise for a story - how real are our interactions on the internet and how do they impact others. I felt the characters could have been developed further and got the sense that perhaps this book was to serve as an introduction for future books. Overall an enjoyable fun read. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Rebekah Louise
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely & unique story, looking forward to part 2.

Friendships Online (2 books)
  • The Weekend Spa Break