Start by marking “Growing Toward the Sun” as Want to Read:
Growing Toward the Sun

Growing Toward the Sun

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  4 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Ten-year-old Celeste sees everyone as a possible criminal. After she deserts her little sisters to chase a suspect, her parents make rules.

If her giant imagination causes more trouble, she’ll lose phone privileges, mystery books, and free time. If she can learn responsibility, they’ll buy the binoculars she needs for sleuthing.

Celeste vows to win the prize. Then a thief
Published 2017 by Vila Gingerich

To ask other readers questions about Growing Toward the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Toward the Sun

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Growing Toward the Sun
Audrey
Celeste was a ten year old Mennonite girl growing up on the outskirts of a Kansas town. Her imagination often got the better of her which would lead her into trouble. I grinned many times while I savored this book. I loved it that "good little Mennonite children" are portrayed as they really are, not like they supposed to be! Even though I didn't grow up in Kansas this book brought me back to my childhood in the 80s. Yes! Yes, that's just the way it was/ is. I smiled at the similarities and diff ...more
Tamika Koehn
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
The writer nearly perfectly captured scenarios and feelings of my childhood. It was unique to read a book that portrayed Mennonite kids so well without making everyone seem so perfect and quaint. The Red D 245 Club sounded exactly like a club Frances and I would have came up with while playing at the back of the community center, sure we had a mystery on our hands while our parents obliviously socialized at the front.
Lydia
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's hard for me to take this work seriously. Writing from a child's perspective allows the writer leniency in some areas, but there's still an element of refinement that's needed in order for the story to be meaningful to readers. The author was able to capture this child-like perspective relatively well, but the quality of the writing was lacking in disciplined form and detail which led to problems with the pacing in the story. There are scenes that fly by way too fast; characters are sometime ...more
Vanessa
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Our pint size heroine detective Celeste is such a likable character. Everyone knows a little kid like this with an inquisitive mind and a thirst for adventure. She's smart and sassy -which gets her into trouble, but she's also the only one who seems to be able to gather and put the clues together.
I think this would be a good read for students and others who are not Mennonite in order to show that in this life, we have more similarities than differences.
Delilah
Jeremy Beitz
Arnela
Terry Pearson
Nov 29, 2017
Vila Gingerich grew up in Mennonite communities across the Midwest. She spent seven years doing volunteer work in Romania and now lives on fifty acres in Missouri with her husband, cats, and an overgrown veggie garden.

She was a winner of the 2014 Highlights for Children fiction contest and her work has been published in Highlights for Children and Purpose magazines. She is currently working on th