Start by marking “Giant Days: Extra Credit (Giant Days: Extra Credit, #1)” as Want to Read:
Giant Days: Extra Credit (Giant Days: Extra Credit, #1)

Giant Days: Extra Credit

(Giant Days (Single Issues))

Head back to school with Esther, Susan, and Daisy in this collection of shorts and bonus material from Eisner-nominated series Giant Days.

Featuring universally beloved terror Desmond Fishmen, the magic of London at Christmastime, off-beat music festivals, and an extra-special what-if story in which Susan, Esther, and Daisy never became friends!

John Allison (Bad Machinery,
Published June 26th 2018 by BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about Giant Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giant Days

Start your review of Giant Days: Extra Credit (Giant Days: Extra Credit, #1)
Sam Quixote
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Giant Days: Extra Credit collects the two 2016 and 2017 Holiday Specials along with the shorts that appeared in Boom Box Mix Tapes 2015 and 2016 and a strip from John Allisons Scary Go Round site. I picked this up to read the non-Holiday Specials stuff, as Ive already read those (and Is a Giant Days completionist), but I still found the Specials just as charming on re-read.

Allison parodies Marvels What If? series as a Watcher-esque Day-Zee wonders What Would Have Happened If Esther, Daisy and
Wing Kee
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Starts off real good but slowly gets to only okay.

World: Sarin is amazing. While the artists in this volume are solid they don't have that special special something that makes the characters in this series pop. It's good it's wonderful but it's not Sarin and I missed that. The world building is actually quite good. It's still enough got the story to play out but it's also based on "What ifs" and it's done really well and it really added some dimension to the past. Good stuff.

Story: The first
Cyndi
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. I am a fan of this series. Although this one had some excellent art and some engaging stories, some were a tiny bit flat. Still worth the read by some truly talented artists. 😊
Agnė
2.5 out of 5

It's actually quite fun to see the same characters portrayed by different artists. For instance, I LOVE Jenn St-Onges artwork:

I also really enjoyed the what-if story in which Susan, Esther, and Daisy never became friends.

However, most of the other stories were kinda meh (How the Fishman Despoiled Christmas and Destroy History, Im looking at you!)
Rod Brown
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Probably more like 2.5 stars. Not as fun as the mother series.

I liked the lead story, a What If? spoof that looks at what would have happened if Esther, Susan and Daisy hadn't met and become friends on the first day of college. The rest of the book just a hodgepodge collection of odds and ends that is okay but features way too much of an uninteresting side character named Shelley. First the lead characters get deep into Shelley's love life, and then we follow her through a solo time travel (?!)
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This wasn't my favorite Giant Days title which doesn't surprise me, since it isn't part of the main series, but is an alternate timeline sort of spin-off but I still loved spending time with these babes and the humor was, as always, on point. I could've probably done without the last little story segment, but others may enjoy it more. 🤷♀ ...more
Lara
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
5 stars for the first story!!! This one was so very perfect and it made me super happy. I love these girls so so much. I know, I always say that.

Buuuut, then everything else happens and...ok, so, who the heck is this Shelley Winters person and why should I care about her again? And the Fishman thing? Whaaaat? I dont get it! Someone please explain! Also, I kind of only like the Lissa Treiman art. Sorry, Im probably just a total latecomer and only like the recent Giant Days stuff and have no
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Sep 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
I only liked the first story. Everything else didn't work for me. I won't be continuing on the with "extra" volumes unless someone tells me I'm truly missing out on something.
Penelope (Penelope’s Picks)
3/5

Least fave out of the series so far. Disappointing, but I suppose it had to happen sooner or later!
Robin Stevens
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So charming, such fun (14+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Kristin Boldon
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, comic-book, new, 2018
Giant Days is perhaps my favorite ongoing comic, but this collection of holiday issues (which I already had and disnt love) and a few old strips (which weren't that good) made me feel duped for buying what I thought was new material. For completists only. Go read the ongoing series; it's great.
Greyson | Use Your Words
Giant Days: Extra Credit: TBR
Giant Days, Vol. 7: TBR
Giant Days Vol. 8: TBR
Giant Days, Vol. 9: TBR

I read this book as part of my 2018 Library Love binge, where I read as many library books as possible to take advantage of my great local library network before I move interstate!
___
BlogInstagram
Amy
Sort of an odds and ends edition (Christmas episode, a what-if-we-never-met? episode etc). That was fun if only because Ive been waiting so long for this edition but ultimately didnt further any stories or deliver any fun quotes. ...more
Sarah Sammis
I don't know if more Extra Credit collections are planned, but I will read them if they are.

Deborah Embury
I really liked the two longer stories in here: the first AU where the girls never became friends, and the one in London with Shelley. They both had a very cozy, holiday feel to them, and the shenanigans the girls always get into are a riot.
The shorter stories weren't especially my favorite. I thought the one with Fishman was too out of place for this series and just seemed so disconnected from literally everything else in the "Giant Days" world. And then the two with the missing food and the
Emily
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I cant give my girls a lower score than that. This series of short stories was a mixed bag, some with the expected hilarity and one or two that were just kind of weird. It was interesting to see all the different artists depictions of the comic, but it also threw me off to keep switching gears visually.
As a big fan of Allisons, I enjoyed it and would recommend to other fans. Id pick a different book for newbies.
Meg
Jun 19, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2018-pub
I love this series and I will never not read it.
⠀annie⠀✧*ೃ༄
but
it didnt seem like classic Giant Days
Katja
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
My first ever three star rating for a Giant Days book, but: The one minus star is for the publisher, since I already knew some of the stories from the Christmas extra and felt a bit cheated as a result.
Carl
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, humor
Not essential but still mostly fun. Visiting Shelley in London is good; Desmond Fishman is bad (as usual).
Definitely a fun volume, but it wasn't quite up to snuff with the continued arc of the series. If you enjoy the main series these little side stories are definitely worth reading I think.
Chris Lemmerman
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Giant Days really can do no wrong. These supplementary stories taken from some Boom! holiday specials and mix-tape issues are just as much fun as the main series, which is already immensely fun.

The Christmas special that opens the volume is told in the form of a What If?, in which Daisy, Esther, and Susan were never friends. But of course, these three can't be kept separate for too long and hijinx ensue. This has art by Lissa Tremain from the main series, so there's some nice consistency here,
Devann
This is an okay volume although I don't think there' s really anything outstanding here. The 'what if they didn't meet' story predictably ends with them ...meeting anyway, just later in the year. Then there's a couple of other stories - mostly Christmas centered if I remember correctly - that were okay but also I've already halfway forgotten them it. It is nice to see the characters in different art styles though.

Also this is literally the most relatable thing I've seen all week

We don't talk
Dubzor
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh, not really something I'd go out of my way to read. Giant Days devotees aren't really going to miss much out of this except for a pretty fun "What if?" one-shot. The rest is just kinda bland.

Then there's the follow up webcomic strips...

I don't know what it is with me and John Allison. I love his work on Giant Days, but any of his webcomic strips I read do absolutely nothing for me.
Adan
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun bunch of short stories featuring Susan, Esther, and Daisy, and occasionally Ed and McGraw. My favorite was the opening story, about what might have happened if the three girls hadnt become friends. Also, the introduction of Esthers London friend Shelley is a great addition to the cast and I hope we see more of her in the regular series. ...more
Marisa
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always clamoring for more Giant Days stories. Inter eating new art and character takes. Christmas holiday story was fairly fleshed out. Some of the later issues in this volume are brief and seem to want more than a couple pages to get into it.
Alexa
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Thoughts to come
Ana
Nov 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Welp. Thats my 100th read of 2019. ...more
Roxanne (The Novel Sanctuary)
Only liked and cared about the first story
Sydney (sydneysshelves) West
Best part was the first one. I didnt like the art of the last two stories. And the last story was just terrible and I wasnt here for it. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Time After Crime (Lumberjanes, Vol. 11)
  • On a Roll (Lumberjanes, Vol. 9)
  • Parents' Day (Lumberjanes, Vol. 10)
  • Giant Days
  • Jackalope Springs Eternal (Lumberjanes, Vol. 12)
  • Lumberjanes: Bonus Tracks
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 4
  • Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass
  • Stone Cold (Lumberjanes, Vol. 8)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Goldie Vance, Vol. 3
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • The Colossal Magic Nothing (Rat Queens, #5)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Heavy Vinyl: Riot on the Radio, Vol. 1
  • Misfit City Vol. 2
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 9: Squirrels Fall Like Dominoes
John Allison is the author and artist of the British webcomics Scary Go Round and Bad Machinery.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors with similar names.

Giant Days (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 59 books)
  • Giant Days #1