Start by marking “Bad for the Boss (Just for Him, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bad for the Boss (Just for Him, #1)

Bad for the Boss

(Just for Him #1)

Nobody denies the boss. Until her.

Theodore Chamberlain’s known for his laser-sharp focus and blunt demands—in the boardroom and the bedroom. The anti-social millionaire has never mixed business with pleasure before… but for a fierce new employee with knockout curves, he’ll make an exception.

Jennifer Johnson knows better than anyone that life is tough. Why complicate thi
Published November 3rd 2017 by Nixon House

To ask other readers questions about Bad for the Boss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad for the Boss

K.J. Charles
Not my usual romance reading (I'm not much into contemporary and really not into the boss trope) but I picked it up on a freebie whim and I'm very pleased I did because it was huge fun.

It's a massively tropetastic romance (older man, virgin heroine, boss/employee, millionaire-Cinderella) which rejoices gleefully in the tropes. There's a 50 Shades shape to the setup, even down to a contract, but this is 50 Shades if Christian wasn't an abusive tool and Ana wasn't a pathetic cipher, because these
Melanie A.
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, kobo
3 STARS

As many of you know, I almost never write negative reviews. But leaving this book @ 3 stars with no words to accompany it feels disingenuous because Talia Hibbert is a FABULOUS writer.

[From me, a 3 star rating means that I managed to finish reading a book - that's it.]

Plot in a nutshell: Jenny accidentally sends a HILARIOUS email to her boss's boss, a man she's never met, complaining about the office letch.

From there, Jenny and Theo meet. Sparks fly, temptation begins.
She'd been a ve
Meags
4 Stars

Bad for the Boss: A BWAM Office Romance is fun, steamy, and plenty romantic, featuring a delicious cast of diverse characters and telling a simple yet highly engaging office romance story so moreish I literally couldn’t put it down.

There are plenty of classic romance tropes being utilised here, and as far as I’m concerned they’re all very well-executed. The story features everything from an age gap to a work-place romance between a millionaire boss and his virginal employee. Plus, there i
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Every so often I try to read a romance novel that is out of what I call my "feminist comfort zone". That zone is in place to keep my sanity intact and my hands from throwing said book against the wall in a rage-fest (something I never want to do to my poor Kindle) . It also keeps me from penning really snarky reviews.

This isn't snarky as much as it is what didn't work for me.

I've made no secret that boss/employee romances are one of those tropes that no matter how I try just never sat well wit
Fangirl Musings
DOWN & DIRTY QUICKIE REVIEW!

One Sentence Summary:

She’s his 26-year-old, curvalicious, black employee & he’s her 40-year-old betatastic Asian boss who plays Hero-In-Pursuit.

Name That Trope:

* Black Girl Magic
* Consent for DAYYYYYS!
* I’ll take, ‘Books That Subtly Shade Institutional Racism, Sexism, & Fatphobia’ for 200, Alex.
* “Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but my penis likes you, so call me baby.”
* Psycho Crazy Stalker = Protective Hero
* Accidental-Email Epistolary Meet-Cute
SheReadsALot
So me and reading books lately? Itjust hasn't been working. I've DNF'd too many to count and even thinking about going back to try to finish them gives me the eye squints...

Ex. the plot's too big for the writer to handle or I obviously see the plot points the author threw together to make a story (and I know I've read a better version somewhere) or the chemistry lacks or a combo of the aforementioned.

Which sucks when you love to read but the books you've tried ain't cutting it.

So what's a girl
Kiki
Apr 20, 2018 marked it as avoid
I’m sure this is a wonderful book.
As a matter of fact I’m certain this is an exceptional book.
The characters are multicultural, and not one-dimensional, and the book really is quite brave and thinks outside the box.
However, I do have issues with experienced hero vs virgin/inexperienced heroine. And pairing that with a bossy hero, I don’t feel this book has the power balance I seek in my reading.
However I do have respect for this author, she has gone out of usual trope of breathtaking beauty and
ambsreads
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I mean I love Talia’s work but this one wasn’t for me. I like workplace romances but I feel that maybe the boss/employee trope wasn’t for me. I really just felt uncomfortable by it. There was also a fourteen year age gap between the characters that rubbed me a little the wrong way, I always get a bit uncomfortable by age gaps, I just feel as if two people are at two different places (especially when it’s 26 & 40).

My main issue was that the whole encounter started due to the main character j
Ivy Deluca
Jennifer Johnson, social media consultant, types a mocking email to her friend about the office Chester the Molester (y'all know the type), and sends it. Sounds funny....except her friend doesn't get it, but J Theo Chamberlain, one of the partners, gets it instead. Oops. As you may have guessed, one thing leads to another and romance happens.

description

The Good. Kickass prologue that immediately hooked me? Check. Diversity from leads to supporting characters (Jennifer is black, Theo is Asian), not just the
Tina
This is actually a low three stars -- more like a 2.5.

In my mind this book is a text book case in the divide between the writing versus the story.

The writing was very good. I actually enjoyed it. The dialogue was mostly great. The main character Jennifer had a fun inner voice. She also had a great personality. In fact a lot of the characters had personalities that I really enjoyed, especially her roommate Aria. The hero Theo was, imo, the only real personality casualty because to me it felt like
Taryn
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5/5

Loved Talia’s writing, as usual, but unfortunately I wasn’t as invested in this pair as I have been in previous books of hers. Theo was bossy & controlling and I felt he didn’t properly respect Jennifer the way she deserved. He rubbed me the wrong way right from the beginning when he wouldn’t respect Jennifer’s wishes to not be called “Jenny.” The plot was kind of choppy at times, I didn’t get a real feeling of the characters & their relationship was a little rushed. Feeling kind
Amanda
I really wanted to like this more than I did! And I do want to highlight what I enjoyed:

This is a black English author writing diverse English characters that really reflect the multicultural England I know and love. Jennifer is black and Theo is half-Chinese. They live in Nottingham. That’s right—NOT LONDON! I have nothing against London but I sometimes wonder if American authors who set books in the UK realize there’s more than London and small villages with castles. I would love more contempo
Adele Buck
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was tons of fun. I don't know how she managed to write a romantic thriller with so much humor, but Talia did it. I especially loved the email interchange between the two protagonists at the beginning. So much humor and heart!
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

CW: Murder, on page sex, drugs, anxiety attack, PTSD, harrassment, stalking, kidnapping at gunpoint, misogyny and fatphobia, explosion, animal kill.

Full review originally posted on my blog: Word Wonders

Reading Talia Hibbert’s very first book after I’ve read so many of her later works was An Experience. Let me preface with saying that I did enjoy reading Bad for the Boss, but it’s definitely my least favourite of her books, which boggles my mind a little because the th
retro
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
The first half of the book had a lot of potential. Jennifer is an atypical heroine (big, black girls can be sexy and fall in love, too? stop the presses!) and Theo, her boss and love interest, is a half-Chinese Brit who is both antisocial and anxious and sexy.

There's a tragic backstory, okay, but for once the office romance didn't irk me and I loved that we got to see Jennifer doing actual work at her actual job. The power imbalance is addressed, as too-wealthy boss Theo is aware of his privile
Tori
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018
Pretty disappointing.

This boss trope is already a hard sell for me, as is the billionaire one. The characters and the relationships felt very flat. The dialogue was forced. Not at all like the other Hibbert I read, which was immensely enjoyable.
Coco.V
Jan 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/9/2018)! 💝
Janani
Hmm. I really liked how the fat character is portrayed in this book, the portrayal of her panic attacks /PTSD feels genuine, and love that this is an interracial romance between two people of color. Not sure how I feel about the supposed consent in the BDSM scene, or even how the dude is bossy with some stuff especially when his partner is in quite a vulnerable state.

For a detailed list of TWs, please check out Xan West's review.
Delilah Night
I first heard about Bad for the Boss on Alisha Rai’s Twitter feed. (Side note–Alisha Rai is an amazing author and you should read her books.) She was tweeting about how Bad for the Boss featured a plus-sized heroine and that it was well handled, and that there was an instance of sexual harassment that well handled. I was intrigued.

I bought bad for the boss from Amazon for my kindle app and couldn’t put it down.

Jennifer is a plus sized woman with a dark past. She’s working as a social media rep i
Elisabeth Lane
DNF. I got to 64% but I wasn't feeling it. The story took a romantic suspense kind of turn and the sex went a little BDSM-lite in a not very satisfying way. In a boss-employee romance I really want that to be the conflict. And the way the story was billed, it looked like it was going to have feature a really good contrast between an awful workplace sexual harrasser and the "rescuer" boss. Instead of it being a perfectly normal unpleasant situation with the coworker though, it turns somewhat dark ...more
Natalie
Another great book by my one of my new faves. Talia crafted a great interracial office romance with a bit of suspense thrown in too! Jen and Theo were so great together. She challenged him a lot, which i liked. He was pretty demanding, and while in some instances Jen liked that they were times she didnt and called him out on it.

I loved Jen, she's a great character and im pretty sure she was queer too! She did mention to Theo having had boyfriends and a girlfriend. I loved her relationship with
Coral
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was quite a good contemporary. It had a lot of really great things going for it by taking a different tact on a whole bunch of common tropes. And it doesn't gloss over a lot of messy reality stuff.
G
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Refreshing

Great humor.
Loved the hero.
Wish the story was a bit longer and delved more into Theo's family.
Loved the fact that it took place in the UK. It's a nice change of scenery for interracial romance.
Would definitely recommend this book.
Margaret
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yay for book recs from authors! This one from came from several romance writers on Twitter. And yay for all the representation in this book. But I was bothered by the “a rich man and money can solve all your problems” that happened at the end.
Amalia Dillin
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Suuuuper appreciated Theo's real consideration of the position Jennifer was in.
Carly ❊ Reading Is My Kind of Thing

description

💫

I was so disappointed by this, after reading Merry Inkmas I was positive Talia Hibbert would produce only hits for me. But this was unfortunately a big, big miss. I was really bored throughout this entire book. There was something about it that felt like it was written years ago and not really in a more contemporary time. The love interest is positioned as a boring CEO of the company our main character works at... and does nothing to prove that wrong. The fact that he was a wildly good sexual
Elke
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
it feels almost unfair of me to rate this - i read the first two-thirds nov 3 and the last part nov 8 and by then i had already forgotten what the book had been about. so i guess it never quite managed to capture my full attention? It also felt shorter than it actually was. I thought it was a novella, or felt like it had the plot of a novella, but it took a longer than expected time to read. which doesn't necessarily speaks in favour of this book either.
however. i enjoyed that the relationship w
Tameka
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok so I read this book due to a recommendation from a friend, and I would say that for me it was a nice read. I thought this story was what someone could actually experience in a real life in anywhere USA or on planet earth. It's funny because I read a review and the reviewer talked about the power discrepancy because of the job and the age difference and I was like hell since my early 20's I've always been attracted to older men and men with power, prestige, confidence, etc. One that has the wh ...more
Ilias
Aug 20, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018
Listen, this book was enjoyable. What do you want from me. The labor politics were very bad + the protagonist was repeatedly described as "curvy" + she thought of herself as "heavy" but w plausible deniability wrt whether she was actually fat or just, like, the same level of self-conscious as everyone. Don't sleep w yr boss.

Moving on: the sex was good + the relationship was mostly sweet + the non-romance plot was baffling + overblown but like!!! It was fun!!!!! Bite me!!!!!

Also I kept forgetting
Dannica Zulestin
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how sweet this was--boss/employee romances usually being what they are, a mess of power play and alpha male-ness, I almost didn't give it a try. But it's actually very good.

Things I Liked

Theo does have his "I'm a rich boss" moments but he also can be very dorky and even shy, as when he is insecure about Jen being younger than him, wondering if she'd prefer someone younger. And there's a scene where he literally hides behind a potted plant for no other reason than awkwardness.

H
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Love Will Always Remember (Shades of Love, #3)
  • Scoring With the Wrong Twin (WAGS, #1)
  • Take the Lead (Dance Off, #1)
  • Perv (Filth, #1)
  • When Tempting a Rogue (Victorian Soap Opera, #3)
  • Beauty and the Rake  (The Rookery Rogues, #3)
  • The Medicine Man (Men of the White Sandy, #1)
  • The Lotus Palace (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #1)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston Book 1)
  • It Stings So Sweet
  • How I Married a Marquess (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Song For Sophia (Rougemont, #1)
  • How to Lose an Extraterrestrial in 10 Days (Otherworldly Men, #3)
  • Unmasked by the Marquess (Regency Imposters, #1)
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #1)
  • What a Rogue Desires (Reece Family Trilogy, #2)
Talia Hibbert is an award-winning, Black British author who lives in a bedroom full of books. Supposedly, there is a world beyond that room, but she has yet to drum up enough interest to investigate.

She writes sexy, diverse romance because she believes that people of marginalised identities need honest and positive representation. Her interests include beauty, junk food, and unnecessary sarcasm. S

Just for Him (3 books)
  • Undone by the Ex-Con (Just for Him, #2)
  • Sweet on the Greek (Just for Him #3)