Start by marking “Servant of the Crown (Heir to the Crown #1)” as Want to Read:
Servant of the Crown (Heir to the Crown #1)

Servant of the Crown

(Heir to the Crown #1)

An old warrior, too stubborn to die.
A royal heir, hidden at birth.
Can they save a realm on the brink of war?

Tragedy tears Gerald's world apart and only his unwavering loyalty to the Baron of Bodden saves him. After serving as a soldier for years, a single act of self-sacrifice thrusts his future into the world of politics.

Cut off from all he knows, he becomes no more than
Published October 28th 2017 by Amazon Digital Services (first published October 20th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Servant of the Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Servant of the Crown

Terence
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-and-galleys
Gerald is an old soldier who finds himself banished from the army, scapegoated, and nearly executed if not for the influence of his lifelong friend the Baron of Bodden. Instead he's sent away to work at a royal estate that rarely sees visitors. Gerald meets a young girl with an enormous secret and treats her largely like a daughter. This relationship changes life for him forever.

Servant of the Crown is a touching story about friendship, loyalty, and politics. I kind of wish I knew that before I
Laurie
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, and didn't want to put it down. The "father/daughter" relationship between Gerold and Anna is a beautiful story on its own. All of the characters are wonderfully brought to life with writing that paints a detailed picture. Having finished this first book, I would like very much to see the King and his cronies die slowly and painfully, and cannot wait for "Sword of the Crown". I'm also a fan of Kathrine Kurtz' Deryni series, and this doesn't have nearly as much magic, ...more
Aly
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book to me was like a medieval fantasy. I enjoyed the story and the characters. Being that this is book 1, I can't wait to see what else is in store for this series. *This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review.*
Fiona Andrew
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Amazing story, fully developed and the world building is truly amazing. the story has all that a great story should, a beginning, a middle and an end. The story centres around Gerald Matheson a young lad at the beginning of the story and a older, well rounded character by the end. In between he has many adventures and learns that loyalty to the right people is always the best trait you can develop. I highly recommend this book and am impatiently waiting the next book in the series.
Anne Kinslow
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anne Kinslow.
I wasn't too sure if I would like this kind of book but thought I would give it a go anyway. I was so wrong!
This book was so well written and the characters within were so realistic. I loved the the story as it unravelled.The characters, Gerald & Anna's lives were full of just about every emotion anyone could ever experience in life. It doesn't end here as book two is due to come out in sometime this month. Highly recommend this series.
Wytzia Raspe
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a captivating novel! A sergeant, a veteran in his end 30ties who served his king for 20 years and has lost his family in the wars with a neighbouring country, is invalided during an uprising in the capital and blamed for the disaster and the great loss of lives his commanding officer caused.

Saved by his former commander and friend from execution as a scapegoat, he is banished to a far away and forgotten royal palace to work there as the groundsman. Trying to bring the gardens back from bein
Tony Duxbury
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this sword & sorcery novel because it was light on the magic and the characters were the protagonists of the action. A slow paced and almost gentle tale one man's decency. Gerald Matheson has seen enough tragedy in his life. He's been a farmer and soldier, but when seriously wounded his fighting days are over. Due to his loyalty and character, his Lord finds him an easy billet as a groundskeeper on a royal estate. There he expected to end his days in peace. That was before he befri ...more
Rachel
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I really wish I could give this more than just five stars. This is hands down one of the best medieval-type fantasy stories I have ever read. I didn't want it to end! The author is an expert at immersing the reader into every moment of the story, whether that be a fast-paced skirmish, or just simply a servant's life on a royal estate. I was able to experience the ups and downs of Gerald's life, and am really looking forward to the next book!
Erin Gossman
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book, I couldn’t put it down once I had the right headspace to read it. (Sometimes you have to be in the right mood for certain genres) I cannot wait until I have the ability to buy the second book. The relationship between Gerald and Anna was splendid especially with Gerald’s history. I stopped multiple times to laugh or praise a scene or character. I loved Anna’s personality and beliefs. Her courage and determination. Just so much praise.
Also, I've already bought the se
Boyd
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
A bit one dimensional at times. Character development uneven and thin, some introduced and left hanging. Still looking for where this series is headed. Started off very intriguing and the it just wandered on. Numerous new ideas introduced then not fulfilled or explored. I had not paid full digital price for a Kindle book in a long time until I purchased this one for $5.99. I will be going back to my practice of a $.99 to $1.99 limit unless it is a well established series and an author with a pro ...more
Colby Blake
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good seed.

I've gotten a little worn out by the dark fantasy novels lately. This one has its tragedy but overall the story of Gerald is about a man who has a great work ethic and always makes the best of his situation with loyalty and honesty being the heart of what he's made of. Thanks Paul.
Frank Geimer
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a good story! It moves a little slow at times but it's very well written and thought out. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and will bet that you will too.
Kevin Potter
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Here we have an interesting and well written, if flawed, book.

Greg Patmore's narration is quite good. He has a good assortment of character voices and is good with inflections. The only things keeping him from a 5-star performance are the lack of tempo variations and the fact that his voices don't change as characters age. (Anna, for example, has the same choice at age six as she does at age thirteen)

Now, the story, such as it is.

First and foremost, I really feel that this should be a prequel ra
Dee Lundgren
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel by this author blew me away! It is the first in the "Heir to the Crown" series currently spanning five full-length novels and two novellas.
The novel draws you immediately into the action. Even if you have no knowledge of warfare, you feel as if you are physically there, viewing the action as though on the battlefield yourself! This is written from the point of view of Sergeant Gerald Matheson, a loyal soldier. We get to see in-depth into military campaigns, strategies and actu
Emily
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great medieval style fantasy! Gerald is a soldier. He had good times and bad times in his life, and bad luck falls on him again and he ends up virtually banished to an old estate that the king doesn’t use anymore. It’s there he meets Anna, a young lonely girl, and he becomes like a father to her. As Anna grows older and learns more about the kingdom, she becomes determined to right the wrongs being committed.

I absolutely love this book! It’s a coming of age tale, as Anna grows from a
Jamie Brydone-Jack
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is a sprawling tale of a warrior who finds a young person in need of protection due to a great secret. The book opens with a compelling scene of life and death and then a series of flashbacks before getting to the story proper. I liked that the author just started with a scene in the protagonist’s life, not doing an information dump to tell us about the complex world of the story. Instead, he puts us right in the shoes of a soldier who is soon to be tested. We can understand being placed in ...more
David
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I first got this book, I thought it was another historical novel along the lines of Bernard Cornwell and Matthew Harffy. It turned out to be a fish of a different color. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good read. It actually was. The world Mr. Bennett created is Medieval in spirit but there are elements of fantasy weaved throughout. Although there is not as much clashing of shields and swords as in much of Cornwell's work, it is a good story that kept my interest to the end.
Gerald sustains a
Deana
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is really a beautiful story. All of the characters are so well thought out. Gerold is a man who is so full of heart, it is crushing to see the struggles he faces. He shows courage, honour and loyalty when it counts most. He refuses to stay silent. He refuses to be invisible. He refuses to give him. He feels so much, profoundly so. He gives so much of himself for any cause he feels just. His relationship with Anna is so special, and it's warming to see his loyalty unfold. Th ...more
Judy Munoz
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a review copy of this book from the author. I wasn’t sure what to expect as I have not read a lot of historical fantasy. I was blown away! I loved this book! The author has created a wonderful world - where medieval history meets fantasy - and it works! The story is rich in detail, from the intense battles to everyday life. The characters are all unique and come to life - heroes and heroines we can cheer for and villains we can hate and everyone in between. This is a masterful tale of ...more
James
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Servant of the Crown was a really enjoyable read, the author really takes the time to develop the characters and give them layers. I have become really attached to both Gerald and Anna. The plot moves at nice pace and hints at much more to come. This is certainly a book that makes me want to read more of the series.
I was given a complimentary review copy of the book from the author via Voracious Readers Only.
DLV
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a Complimentary Copy of this book from Voracious Readers Only.
This book is going on my list of my favourites!!
The storyline is organized yet far from boring!!
I applaud the Author for many things in this book but especially these 2 things:
1) The relationship between Gerald and Anna is wonderful and innocent.
2) Caring and Powerful characters INCLUDING Women.
I did not want to stop reading yet
I wanted to stop reading to savour this GREAT book!!
KATHY BROWN
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adventure, Action, Intrigue, and fantastic world building! Blown about by the whimsy of fate, he always lands on his feet because of his character! He changes his life to what fate decrees for him and he seems to get hammered for his character! A great start to a series that leaves you looking for the next book. I read it through in 2 days as I fell asleep reading it. A must read!
Sean Patrick
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful piece of historical fiction with the perfect touch of fantasy! Well written and well-paced adventure with believable real to life characters. The story pulls you in and makes you feel as if you are there in each and every scene. The was just enough backstory to keep things interesting. I do hope that Book Two gives us more information on the infamous Black Hand.
Charlotte
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of the book through Voracious Readers Only.

My favourite part of this book was Gerald's first few days at Uxley. I would happily read any more books set in Merceria.
Kathryn
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story.

I initially was drawn to this book because my youngest son shares his name with the author, so I chose to give it a look and I'm glad I did. It was a wonderful story with wonderful characters and I've already got the other two selections at Amazon.
Kelly
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical with a touch of fantasy. It follows a soldier through his life and how it changes when he meets a very unique little girl. Absolutely loved the character Anna and her thirst for knowledge. #voraciousreadersonly
Dennis Smith
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great dark fantasy story. Well written and great characters. I'll definitely look into reading the others in the series.
Jim Swike
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book about this era. Keeps your interest and turning pages throughout. Looking forward to book 2.
Maurice Jones
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story and writing..superior plot line and characterizations,which i've found to be a hallmark of MR BENNETT'S novels.A very fine read,indeed!!
Marlys
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great series. Recommended the book to my husband. I could not put the book down once I started it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Silent Kingdom (Silent Kingdom #1)
  • Dream So Dark
  • Mere Enchantment
  • Crescent City Fae Series Books 1-3
  • The Forbidden Trilogy (The Forbidden Trilogy #1-3)
  • House of Enchanted: The Revelations of Oriceran (Soul Stone Mage, #1)
  • Gateway (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #0.5)
  • Girl Gone Missing (Lambert and Hook #11)
  • Three by Cain: Serenade/Love's Lovely Counterfeit/The Butterfly
  • The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, #1)
  • The Mousewife
  • Shadowfest: A Dark Fantasy Adventure
  • Morning Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #3)
  • Eternal (The Queen's Alpha #1)
  • The Case of the Haystack Kitties (Hank the Cowdog, #30)
  • Diamond Eyes (Mira Chambers #1)
  • Chaos Burning (Bound by Magick, #2)
Paul J Bennett (b. 1961) emigrated from England to Canada in 1967. His father served in the British Royal Navy, and his mother worked for the BBC in London. He followed in his father’s footsteps and joined the Canadian Armed Forces in 1983. He is married to Carol Bennett, and has three daughters who are all creative in their own right.

Paul’s interest in writing started in his teen years when he di

Heir to the Crown (3 books)
  • Sword of the Crown (Heir to the Crown #2)
  • Mercerian Tales (Heir to the Crown #2.5)