Start by marking “Shopping for God: How Christianity Went from In Your Heart to In Your Face” as Want to Read:
Shopping for God: How Christianity Went from In Your Heart to In Your Face

Shopping for God: How Christianity Went from In Your Heart to In Your Face

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Not so long ago religion was a personal matter that was seldom discussed in public. No longer. Today religion is everywhere, from books to movies to television to the internet-to say nothing about politics. Now religion is marketed and advertised like any other product or service. How did this happen? And what does it mean for religion and for our culture?

Just as we shop
Published September 18th 2007 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Shopping for God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shopping for God

Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
So I quit this book part way through because I wasn't really sure I'd be getting any new information out of it (apart from some amusing anecdotes) if I finished it.

While Twitchell is an academic, this book is decidedly non-academic in style. Which certainly is not bad in itself; but he puts forward so many contentious claims that it would have been nice to have some substantial documentation actually provided for them, rather than uncited statistics.

This is especially true for one of his claims
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book feels like a combination scholarly book on advertising and a popular business book on brand management (too often its religious history is done in the non-scholarly half - for example, Finney took the anxious bench from the early Methodists and not the other way round). The subtitle about Christianity being in your face does not seem to be a correct description of the book I read, though it might be a good marketing tool.

Twitchell wants to make broad, bold claims (such as church built
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
The lack of a regulatory body to oversee the growth of evangalical groups in the US has given rise to an increasing marketing challenge - the scramble market. To ensure their survival, churches have been battling one another for a larger share of tithe from the faithful and creating markets in segments where they were previously non-existent. This is partly the author's explanation for the rise of the mega churches.

Shopping for God is as much a commentary for the marketer as it is for the social
Matt Lennert
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
I love this book. To see how the same marketing techniques are used for new religious churches, universities, and museums is eye opening and Twitchell is always very entertaining to read.
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed reading this book because the author is intelligent and shares a large number of firsthand impressions in an accessible, diverting fashion. However, based on my own knowledge of my own denomination, he didn't understand well either its history or motivations. If he was shallow and inaccurate on that count, about how many other denominations and churches is he also an unreliable chronicler? I hesitate to consider this book other than light nonfiction by someone who wants to share his im ...more
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
An interesting look at the evolution of religion as a private matter, having to do with private choices into a situation where that very same thing (one's religious choice), that was once quite personal, is now oh-so-very out there and in one's face. When did one's personal beliefs become a public thing anyway? When did "getting God" (or Jesus) become popular the same way having purchased the latest pop music CD is popular?
The truth to be found in this book is that it is the advertising by churches that comforts us instead of God. It is no surprise, really, that capitalism has invaded religion. This can be interpreted as a very scary book in many respects. I am not religious at all, so it didn't faze me. But if I were religious, I would like truth in my denomination of choice, instead of a clever marketing scheme. To find that, nowadays, a person will have to leave the country.
George Dimitrov
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Although I enjoy social criticism of contemporary evangelicals and this book provides some inside, at place Twitchell lack's academic balance and at times makes unnecessary fun of them.
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Interesting points, but it does go on. I got a bit bored and didn't finish.
Becki Dubois
Joel Comiskey
Nov 22, 2015
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research
digs into the megachurch reality. loved the marketing insight on how churches market themselves.
Jan 15, 2011