Start by marking “Atlas of the Body” as Want to Read:
Atlas of the Body

Atlas of the Body

Stirring, lyrical prose in this debut bildungsroman in which Maya and Zaire roam the American south freely, continuing to Maya as an adult and having to confront "the demands of personhood and privilege."
Paperback
Published March 2018 by Black Lawrence Press

To ask other readers questions about Atlas of the Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atlas of the Body

Bastien
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cuffy is an impressive writer. This work has all the scope, intensity, and lyricism of a novel. She's a writer to watch!
Grady
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘It might be that you never existed. Or that you are hiding. I will make you hiding.’

Brooklyn author Nicole Cuffy earned her BA in Writing from Columbia University and an MFA in Fiction from the New School. Her works appear in Mason's Road and The Masters Review Volume VI. ATLAS OF THE BODY is her debut in publishing in book form. Nicole is also an avid yoga advocate and ballet dancer.

ATLAS OF THE BODY is just that – in several ways. It is a book of fiction divided into sections with titles tha
Jessica
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
That's some powerful 17 pages.

I was leery of the format of this book being some version of a "money grab" (bound short stories sold one at a time vs. in a collection, etc.) but it turns out this does, indeed, need to stand on its own.

Cuffy's is the kind of writing one savors, not the kind that one gorges on. Every word is loaded, every sentence says more than simply the sum of it's parts.

I bet you could spend days (and I probably will) going back and forth finding new meaning; new emotion and
K.A. Black
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly one of the most breathtaking beautiful books I've ever read. The language and imagery brings me back to discovering Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the story in Atlas is as timeless as can be. Knowing the ending was so close the whole time was heartbreaking due to the fact that I wanted the book to continue, to know more, and to read more of this beautiful prose.
Clifford
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the blurbs for the book says it is "short fiction with the scope and ambition of a novel" and I think that's right. I'd definitely read an expanded version of this book, one that more fully explores the character of Maya and her family and relationships.
Caroline
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this by accident from the publisher and I'm so glad I did -- it's a beautiful gem of a book.
Anne
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
GORGEOUS
Stephine
Jul 10, 2018
Wiseknits
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I was mesmerized by this small but powerful volume. The evocative language encourages the reader to slow down and mindfully appreciate the images and emotions expressed. I look forward to reading more lyrical prose by this gifted author.
Isaac