Start by marking “One Little Word (One More Thing, #1)” as Want to Read:
One Little Word (One More Thing, #1)

One Little Word

(One More Thing #1)

What happens when the most popular guy in school must depend on a social pariah to save his skin?

Luke Chambers is about to find out. When one stupid word heard by the wrong ears sends the captain of the baseball teams life into chaos, his plan to get out of trouble involves the one kid who seems to hate him.

Ryan just wants to have some fun at the jocks expense. He wont
Published October 26th 2017 (first published August 28th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about One Little Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Little Word

Start your review of One Little Word (One More Thing, #1)
☆ Todd
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very cute story about a nice guy, who happened to use a homophobic word, then to avoid getting suspended, he pretended to be gay. But he doesn't stop there. No, he claimed that he was dating the only gay kid in school.

As you might imagine, the self-inflicted problems in this story were pretty uniquely YA. Neither captain of the baseball team Luke nor sciency nerd Ryan were wise beyond their years. Not even close.

Both boys were pretty adorable and I *adored* Ryan's snark, when Luke ropes him
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Lemon drop

Luke is on the verge of being suspended for a word he used around his friends. As a Hail Mary he blurted out he is gay and the only gay kid in school is his boyfriend. The plan works. Luke just has to convince Ryan to help him out.
The positive: Mrs. Reynolds. Her part was minimal but she made the greatest impact with her awesomeness.
Negative: At times, the story felt choppy. I was not a big fan of Luke initially. The little word was actually a big word. He didn't understand
Ulysses Dietz
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One Little Word
By Finn Manning
By the author 2017
Four stars

Im a longtime fan of YA/LGBT stories. I guess Im one of those old guys who never gets tired of reliving his teenage years, only BETTER. Part of it is the fact that coming out, even today, for most teens is still pretty hard. Even a positive story like Finn Mannings One Little Word makes that clear. Sure, easier than when I was a teenager in the early 1970s, but still not easy.

There is much here that is familiarthe handsome popular jock,
Maygirl7
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, ya, ku
Luke is an idiot. Finally he pulls his head out of his ass. Ryan is also a bit of an idiot for letting Luke get him tangled up in his idiocy. Despite that an amusing, unrealistic look at high school love connections. Check your expectations of reality at the door and it will work well for you.
Pablito
3.5*. . . would have been higher, but Finn Manning needs a copy editor.

This is the kind of cute story that keeps you wanting to read, undermined by the occasional ink splat of a verb in the wrong tense, or the completely incongruous response by a character that would indeed make sense five chapters later.

Speaking of the characters, I have to admit their dialogue is sharp, and while their sarcasm may not be the best defense of the weak, it is of the vulnerable. The females, however, have some
Sev
2 and a half starts rounded up to 3 because there was potential so I hung in there to see how things turned out. But there were many errors with regard to spelling, missing words, extra words in odd places, even a couple of sentences worded in such a way as to make no sense whatsoever, and too much repetition of the "how we got into this situation to begin with" for me to call this a really good read. The author indicates there will be more books in this series, if so they will certainly benefit ...more
Eric Neill
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How do you determine what you are if you do not fit the expectations?

Luke is straight, except he kisses Ryan. Zach was straight, but now is bi, but still Luke's best friend. Luke outed Ryan, but has allowed Zach and Ryan to date since breaking up with Ryan who he was fake dating. Luke likes Lydia. Zack likes everyone, but will not talk about other gays in the area. The baseball team is confused. Some teachers are supportive. Some families are not because they do not know. More than a scholarship
Roxanne
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqa, young-adult
Overall this was a really sweet story.

I tried to make being the lone gay boy in this school look effortless, but it could be exhausting.

Mostly, I was there for Ryan who I really enjoyed. As the only openly gay kid in his small town he has had to handle way too much. His snark had me cackling, this is one boy you shouldn't mess with.
I had reservations about Luke, self-declared 'nice guy'. Yes, he in fact was very much not a bad guy that's true. But he did act a little selfishly throughout the
Averymcadams
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun fast read.

Cute. Likable characters. Nicely paced. By the time it's over everybody is gay. Too funny. Very sweet and chaste - g rated.
Christopher
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, normally I don't leave a review, but I felt I needed to leave one for this book. I will agree with some of the comments of another reviewer. There were some spelling and grammatical errors, but those are cosmetic to me. The story line is pretty great and the writing drew me in instantly. This is a perfect length book, I can finish it in a few hours instead of a few days. The characters were interesting and the author did a great job of explaining their points of view. This is a great book ...more
SℓιM
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One word can change everything

**There Spoilers but not many just a few^*

Am I going to read the other books to this series? I don't know... I don't think I will. Though this... even though the book was had my attention from being to end.

I think Luke could've been bisexual but didn't know it until he had to pretend to FAKE date, Ryan... I mean, he didn't say much when he and his baseball friends were joking around about "he and Zach" being gay... after
David Harten Watson
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, romance, lgbt
Excellent book. A unique, delightful twist keeps this from being just another one of the many typical YA LGBT romances where a gay teen is infatuated with a (seemingly) straight jock. The. Book'stitle gives away the nature of the twist: "One little word."

The jock says "one little word" that could get him suspended for saying a homophobic slur, UNLESS he can convince the principal that he's gay himsel, bu how can he keep the principal convinced without ruining his reputation with the other
Jeremy Mifsud
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
I would give this a 3.25 stars at best.

There is a creativity within the story, but when you can predict the story from both the blurb and the first few chapters, there is a difficulty. It all depends on the writing. And the writing was not great. There were too many grammatical errors and spelling mistakes - I found these quite distracting. The story had some gaps too, and I would have enjoyed more if it wasn't written from two active first-person voices. There was so much potential, and I
Mary Peters
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable Read!

This was an interesting YA title and I got invested in the characters very quickly. A wide range of LGBTQA+ representation is included, along with the typical jocks, bullies and nerds. Even though we didn't see too much of her, I really loved the Science teacher!

There are some spelling and grammar issues, along with misplaced words and missing words, but not enough to distract from this lovely story.

I'm happy to see more books in this series and will get to all of them by end of
Little Chompie
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Cliche, but still a good story!

I enjoyed reader this story and how easy it was for me to connect to the story. Not gonna lie, I totally wanted to impossibly punch some of the characters in the face at times, but loved Ryan's and Luke's beginning story. I like that the author was good at adding humor into the book and especially loved the variety of the queer community. Can't wait to read the Part 2 of their story! 4 out of 5 stars!!! 😊
Essie (Book Ninja Princess)
This was a cute story, although it could have been shorter and it could have done with an editor.
I liked the struggles of Luke & Ryan, they felt real.
I was disappointed that their first real date (to the planetarium) was off page.
I missed the parents in this story.
The drama stayed low key to my disappointment (I looove drama).
The ending was HFN.
Moving on to the next book, because of course I want to know what happens next...
Libra
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listen, this was CUTE AF!
Yes, it's not the best book ever written, and there are some typos here and there (this usually bothers me way more), but I just enjoyed this SO MUCH, because it gave me exactly what was promised. A high school setting, a nerd and a jock and a fake relationship! It was super easy to read and I loved both main characters. Definitely recommended if you're just looking for a fun high school romance!
Kysha
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great LGBT+ YA

Love Ryan and Luke. The author did a great job capturing their awkwardness and emotions. It was pretty obvious how Luke felt to everyone but him, which is rather true to form. Boys are usually dumb to those kind of things no matter their age. Cant wait for book 2 to see their relationship bloom.
Joe McGowan
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More than you expect

This could easily have been a quick cheap takeoff on a young coming out story, instead it is a thoughtful journey of being. The jock and the stereotypical gay nerd has been written 100s of times, but the author devotes time developing the characters over time, and the end result is satisfying and heartfelt.
John-Torleif  Harris
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
So much drama

This was a lot of drama. I liked reading about all these characters, but I'm glad that I am not in high school any longer.

I have to say that I thought that Luke was pretty unethical in pretty much every decision he made in this book and I would have liked Ryan and Zach to have been a bit more forceful in telling him how incredibly offensive he was acting.
Mike Oaks
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Whats real and whats not

Finn did a great job giving these kids funny conversations. When it was time to get real, I believed that too. This book appears to be two books joined as one. Part 2 could have been touched up so it wasnt so repetitive for the first few chapters. I was invested in the story though and wanted to know how it would end. 3.5 for barns.
Kenneth W. Falk
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding Book

This is a wonderful book. The author struck many cords with me. His understanding of the dynamics of teenage boys dealing with sexuality is wonderful. I would recommend this book to anyone trying get a hold on who they are or help a friend.

AltogetherTrue
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
A sweet little teen romance. Theres a bit of angst thrown in as one of the main characters struggles to see what is apparent to most of the other characters for awhile, but its well done. Well written with good central and supporting characters. ...more
David Shuler
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unusual situation

Open mouth insert foot. A little lie had a snowball effect. But it was Ann eye opening experience. A really excellent book. Worth reading.
Kiu
Jul 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full of typos , kind of a mess.
Rob Hawk
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I absolutely loved the characters and the storyline, they all kept you wishing and hoping for more for each of them.
aru
It was alright. I mean, I expected something more but it was entertaining enough I guess.
Izzy Morris
it was like reading a wattpad fanfiction. but i knew that going in and it's exactly what i wanted to read right now so if you are too i would recommend.
Ricardo
2 1/2 stars

This was pretty average. The characters were stereotypes, the plot felt recycled, and the dialogue was pretty cheesy. Still, it was entertaining enough for me to finish it
GOOD REVIEWS: Readers Needed for Gay YA Romance 1 9 Jan 04, 2018 09:59AM

• Lock & West
  • There Goes Sunday School
  • Just a Dumb Surfer Dude (Just a Dumb Surfer Dude, #1)
  • That Feeling When (#lovehim, #1)
  • A Surplus of Light
  • Burning Britely (Burning Britely, #1)
  • Ginjuh
  • Riding with Brighton
  • For the Love of Logan (Just a Dumb Surfer Dude, #2)
  • To Be Honest (#lovehim #2)
  • Chasing Chance (Gilcrest University Guys #1)
  • Never Do a Wrong Thing
  • You Belong With Me...?
  • In Case You Missed It (#lovehim #3)
  • Ghosting You
  • Catching Chance (Gilcrest University Guys #2)
  • No Big Deal (#lovehim #1.5)
  • Time for Goodbyes

One More Thing (5 books)
  • One Little Lie (One More Thing #2)
  • One Little Problem (One More Thing #3)
  • One Little Change (One More Thing #4)
  • One New Start (One More Thing, #5)

News & Interviews

Are you new to reading mysteries and thrillers and feeling overwhelmed by where to start? As all good detectives know, narrowing down the list ...