Start by marking “Skin Food” as Want to Read:
Skin Food

Skin Food

When the hater dies, their hatred lives on.

Tyson and Lana are on a summer break in Seoul. They link up with Sam and Steve, and the cheerful reunion of college friends turns into a wild, out-of-control night out. Lana and Tyson try the Korean spirit soju, and Sam tries his luck with Mimi, a spirited Korean. However, Steve is in a dismal mood and disappears into the night.

Th
Published October 30th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Skin Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skin Food

Start your review of Skin Food
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, review-copy
4.0 Stars
As someone who loves survival horror, I really enjoyed reading this diverse take on the classic story of a zombie outbreak. Through the narrative, I learned so much about Korean culture. I would highly recommend this engaging piece of short fiction to anyone for looking horror story set in a non-Western location.

I requested this novella from Netgalley.
Monica
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: give-aways, netgalley
This novella is set in Korea as two Americans travel to visit a college friend. There is some interesting Korean folklore as the possible explanation for murders occurring throughout their city. The title Skin Food is a nod to the idea of zombies terrorizing the city. In the hopes of survival, our characters flee the apartment building and attempt to find refuge at the American Embassy.

I found this story very disjointed. Although there are a few instances where we are given some backstory, I nev
Bandit
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This turned out quite decently entertaining. Not crazy about pseudonym and its connotations, but a Korean take of a zombie story was fun in a studiedly flat photorealistic sort of play by play way. I really enjoy foreign locales and different culture’s take on the traditional genre creatures. Apparently I really need to see Train to Busan. Something like 70 minutes, quick diverting one sitting read for a rainy night. Thanks Netgalley.
Lee
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Thank you, NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Actual rating, 3.5 stars.

Skin Food started off slow and then what seemed to be all the sudden, it picked up the pace and made it difficult for me to put down. I was curious as to how they were going to survive and make it out of their difficult situation.

It was interesting to see how zombies are portrayed in their variety of ways and this was no different.

Skin Food was a quick read that was decently entertaining.
J.L. Smith
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
What I liked?

The fast pace of the story. I enjoy it when an author gets right down to business and takes me on a roller coaster ride with their words, combining those same words with my own imagination. Type A does not disappoint in this respect. .

On top of that, the dialogue was witty and realistic. Personally, its dialogue that tends to hold my attention because it lets me see the situation in the eyes of the characters through how they would respond to the presented conflict—a gangshi zombi
Lisa
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty good story that kept my interest throughout. Character development was weak, so I didn't have a whole lot of interest in who lived or died. The ending made no sense to me. I had to read it twice to see if I'd missed anything. If so, then I missed it big time. Not a book I'd recommend, just because of that ending. ...more
Baby Lion
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If Stephen King’s The Stand and The Train to Busan had a baby, it would be named Skin Foods. In his debut novel, Type A brings us a story where everyone would react to a Zombie apocalypse like you and I would.
Netanella
"Skin Food" is a neat little zombie story that is likened to "Train to Busan" in the blurb, but unfortunately, aside from the Asian locale and food, fails to deliver in the same way the movie did. Not to say that I didn't enjoy this story, because I did. In particular, I enjoyed the story's title and the references to skin food, including fried pork rinds and the viual appeal of kimche, a pale translucent color that could be likened to skin slivers. Overall, I found the first half of the book mo ...more
Sabrina Burton
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I loved this book! 4.5/5 stars definitely. Thank you to NetGalley for the free ebook, it was incredible. At the beginning it was kind of hard to get into the slightly strange writing style but as the story got creepier the disjointed writing became a real strength. The book was intense without being overly graphic and the different characters complimented each other and made the story even more interesting. I especially liked the inclusion of Chinese mythology and Korean culture as well as the f ...more
Brianna Ford
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Skin Food is an enthralling novella with interesting characters and a good glimpse into Korean culture. The author weaves aspects of Korean work and home life throughout the novella, piquing our interest and educating us along the way. The story is predominantly about a group of old friends, and one new, dealing with an emergency. However, other wonderful side stories with their own lessons, including two cross-cultural coworkers and a kindly neighbor, make the story even stronger. I read this b ...more
Karisa Austin
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
For a first time novel, Alejandro did very well. The story is about a zombie attack in Seoul, South Korea. If you've ever lived there, it's a great stroll down memory lane. It's an engaging read as you follow the four main characters: Sam, Minnie, Lana, and Tyson from a fun night out in Seoul to an all out fight for survival against zombies. It's fun, short, and full of creative descriptions. ...more
Markus Obrist
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Skin Food gives you some insights into the Korean culture while being entertaining all the way through. Highly recommended!
Salieri
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks a lot to NetGalley and Type A for allowing me to read Skin Food!

“When the hater dies, the hatred may endure, and torrents of rage may engulf the earth.”
… Where’s the hate, then? I mean, these are the first words of the synopsis, there is a quote about hate surviving after death but that’s it. The first idea given to the reader about the book is not spoken about in said book. Just… ????

OK, for starters, I would like to point out that I know next to nothing about Korea. I requested this boo
Sara
Linda Byers
rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2020
tyto
rated it did not like it
Jan 19, 2018
Emma
Dec 14, 2017
Zong Chuan
Mar 28, 2018

• The Marketing Fallacy: How Any Small Business Can Look Like A Large Corporation, Without The Large Costs
  • Eat, Work and Worry: A Life of Greed, Desperation, and Discontentment
  • Haunting in Old Tailem (Haunting Clarisse #3)
  • Trailer Trash: an '80s Memoir
  • Business Rewired: The Secret to Managing Unexpected Change in an Age of Chaotic Change
  • Transference
  • Eternal Victim
  • The Reaping (The Pious Insurrection, #1)
  • The Mentor
  • So-Called Normal: A Memoir of Family, Depression and Resilience
  • Deaf Beneath
  • Andy and The Pharaoh's Cat
  • zero dark thirty
Type A (Alejandro Callirgos) was born in South America, reared in the Southern United States, and resided in South Korea for five years. He holds a B.A. in English and Criminology and is passionate about youth empowerment and storytelling.