Start by marking “Broken Clocks” as Want to Read:

4.68  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
According to my grandma, a broken clock being right twice a day meant that in any given situation, there are only two opportunities for perfect timing.

I fell for William Grayson in a matter of minutes. The connection between us was undeniable, but our timing was off. I was dating someone and by the time I was single again, he was taken. And a year later, when we finally go
Published January 2018

To ask other readers questions about Broken Clocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Clocks

B. Love
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No book has ever made me cry, but as I write this review I am literally shedding free flowing tears. In all honesty, I didn't know what to expect with Broken Clocks. Yes, I read the synopsis. Yes, I'm aware of Danielle Allen's writing style. But still... I wasn't entirely sure how she was going to allow William and Layla's story to play out. From their first chapter together to the last they held me captivated. I know all too well the pain Layla felt because of... well... let me not give any spo ...more
Elizarey
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow.

I can not believe the level of talent that was displayed in this book. I am so grateful to have been given the chance to read Broken Clocks, Layla and William had such an amazing amount of chemistry from the very beginning of the book. Their connection was just palpable. There were so many obstacles that they had to face and let me tell you Layla was stronger than I could have ever been, I admired her a lot. William's love and loyalty is one of the most admirable qualities within him. The en
Kumiko Lei  ~Lost In A Book~
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, 2018
**complimentary copy received from author for review purposes

Have you ever read a Danielle Allen novel? If you haven't, go get one, doesn't matter which one, any of them will do. You'll be hooked.

If you've read more than one, you know that you never get the same thing with any of them. Each one is unique, whether it's the situations, the emotions, or the humor each can hold their own.

Broken Clocks is no different. I've read the majority of Danielle's books and each one touches me differently, bu
Richelle Robinson
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Broken Clocks took me on an emotional rollercoaster that I won’t ever forget! I honestly had no idea what to expect when I first started this book by Danielle Allen. I just found out about her in my quest for more diverse reads in the romance genre. I enjoyed reading about characters that I could identify with but I had no idea I would also find a book that would rip me to shreds as I read. I was stunned after I finished reading. Stunned. I had tears in my eyes as I typed this review.

Allen suck
Nicole Falls
Broken Clocks is a maelstrom of emotion with characters whose journey takes you on an epic ride. I laughed, I cried, I called up my old work…just kidding all my exes are dead. But seriously though, Layla and Will’s journey is a testament to the enduring power of love in all of its many forms despite obstacles that may arise. Readers better strap themselves in as they’ll be taken on a rollercoaster ride filled with a bevy of emotions ranging from euphoria to gutwrenching pain as they ask themselv ...more
Reading in Black & White
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"But when it comes to love, don't get so hung up on the timing. Just enjoy the time. When you're with the perfect person, there will never be enough of it."

Where to begin with this review? It doesn't happen too often that I sit and stare when I finish the last word of a book. Broken Clocks did something to my spirit that I can't quite describe. It went beyond a book and made me think about if I use time as a crutch aka an excuse as to why I keep love at an arm's distance. The powerful connection
Deloris
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WoW!
Danielle Allen , this book is really good ! William and Layla are soul mates , so much that you feel their connection . The author shows you that they belong to one another. Time is not always on their side hence the broken clocks. But as Layla's grandmother explained a broken clock is always right two times a day. This books takes you through their relationship, the broken clock times that will make your cry and the times when the timing of things are right and you will read the passion an
Lenika Winfield
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A broken clock is only right twice a day

Just wowwwww!! I never heard of this author and I’m happy I took a chance with her. Her writing was so magnificent that I was literally blown away. The love that Layla and William shared was something that comes once in a lifetime and I felt it on each page. Definitely recommend this book
Danielle Allen
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
William and Layla...

I'm

in

my

feelings.
Kim
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As much as I love reading romance novels, I am not someone who tends to get emotional while reading them. I don't generally get teary-eyed or anything like that. Well, Broken Clocks by Danielle Allen had me getting teary-eyed. This is one sexy, funny, emotional page-turner of a novel.

The premise of Broken Clocks is the idea of perfect timing and how there are two opportunities for it. Layla and William's love story takes this on, dealing with everything from breakups, reunions, near-misses, etc
Tera L. Kirksey-Coleman
Broken Clocks

OMG this book had me in tears! I went through two boxes of Kleenex. The broken Clocks analogy made you stop and appreciate time. Time is a commodity! How we choose or not choose to recognize how important timing is determines our outlook on life. This book was an awesome reminder of that.
This letter at the beginning from Nana to Layla was priceless and Layla’s If I Die letter left me speechless. No dry eyes for me!
This was an excellent book that I truly enjoyed reading. The plot was
Mia Morgan
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well

I am still in my feelings about this book. I had to go to sleep and then write a review. I am an emotional wreck. I cried so much while reading this story. I was mad at Will then I loved him. Layla would upset me, then she get on my good side. One thing you cannot deny is the love they have for each other. This book shows me that at 40 to stop worrying about time and just live. Live it like it is your last day. We do not know what happens tomorrow. Danielle Allen is great at her craft. This
KindleCousins
This is my 1st fiction read from Danielle Allen. I have been trying to get to one of her books for months, but my TBR… I follow Danielle on Instagram. Her posts are like a manual on becoming a grown ass woman. I say all of this to say, Layla, the heroine in this book was a grown ass woman and I just adored her. Layla was human, she made mistakes and wasn’t perfect by a long shot. But Layla owned, communicated, and/or apologized for every feeling and mistake. Yes, this was a beautiful love story. ...more
tanisha
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything !!

That is the only way to describe this book. I got my life reading this. I don't ever leave review's but I loved this book. I laughed and cried I felt the emotion in the characters. It was EVERYTHING !
Bailey West
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story captured my attention from the very beginning and didn't release me until the very last word! I loved Laila and William's relationship; the mountaintops and the valleys. There is a profound love lesson to be learned in this novel. I'm glad I didn't miss it!
The book is expertly written, the characters are well developed and the book is thought-provoking and relevant.
Phenomenal job, Danielle!
Shay
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm slightly torn because I don't really like when stories take it where this story goes...BUT I can't deny that I was a fan of the love between these two characters. I feel like the writing was on the wall pretty early on, but I wanted to be wrong. *ugly cry* I really did!
Rena
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O. M. G. Let me say this is the first 5-star rating I've given in a while. Saying this book is EXCELLENT is an understatement. I loved the characters. They were so real. I loved how the author captured the complicated messiness and beauty of relationships. Even when it's "meant to be", there will still be challenges and trials. Layla and William's relationship demonstrated that PERFECTLY! Great, great story. I can't wait to read more from this author!
Mel
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book...let's just say, was an emotional roller coaster.
keefryeTV
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow. So first off, I’ve absolutely loved everythingggg I’ve read from Danielle. (Nevermore? Literary Gold I tell you!) Secondly, to further attest to my support of Danielle, I 1-clicked this thang so fast! I’m just a broke grad student so my budget is hella tight, therefore I’m an avid KU “borrower” in order to satiate my love of reading black romance novels. But for THIS release I sacrificed my daily coffee and bagel in order to purchase this book and have it in my Kindle library fore ...more
Natalya | TheIslandReader
Amazing read!

Broken Clocks takes you on an emotional rollercoaster like no other. It is a story about real life; undeniable love with ‘wrong timing’, unrelenting soul ties, and second chances. It is a story of grabbing life and love by the horns and doing the best you can with what you have in the time that you have it.

William and Layla have a love that is simply undeniable. It’s magnetic, it’s passionate, and their chemistry literally leaps off of the page. Neither time nor inconvenient circums
Jenny Charles
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much every Danielle Allen book makes you emotionally invested in the characters. And Broken Clocks is no different. Layla and William's relationship was an emotional rollercoaster. When two people who absolute love each other but life and situations try to get in the way of their happily ever after. I rooted for them throughout the story, hoping that ever obstacle thrown at them they will overcome but sometimes life may have other plans. When you thought they finally got over something, b ...more
Shelby
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh...I just finished reading Broken Clocks and if my heart would stop vibrating with so many indescribable emotions, right now, maybe then I could write this review, logically. In a few words, I am tore up from the floor up!

I love this cover and the story contained within has stolen my heart. I smiled. I giggled. At times, I cried, cried so much I had to wipe my tears to even see the words on the kindle. I yelled. I awed. I wondered if true love could overcome it, all. "You are the fir
Alex Kinley
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blk-love, diversity
Beautiful

This book should’ve been called Broken Tear Ducts because mine have a leak. Layla and William were the epitome of the relationship goals hashtag. They were complicated individuals in an imperfect relationship with understandable ups and downs and a sex life to be envied.

Broken Clocks felt so real. I appreciated the beauty and the care of the writing. It was excellent and my absolute favorite from Danielle Allen. I highly recommend this book.
Read Dee
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t even know where to start!

Time is so short. We take for granted that people will be in our lives forever but we never know.

Danielle Allen’s books always have me in my feelings but this one right here...I was not ready. I was literally boohooing and cracking up laughing . Runny nose and all. Tears for both happiness and sadness.

I think this has beaten the Back to Life series as my favorite book from Danielle Allen. It was absolutely fantastic.

But what happens to William? Where does he g
Daphne
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought I was ready....I wasn't

Wow....I don't know what to say. William and Layla, dang it. 9:27 their time. Their love was timeless. From their first meeting, it was written. The obstacles they faced, outside forces and those within themselves. Layla felt she was making the best decision for him the first time they parted. Her sacrifice was for his happiness, but you can't fight destiny. Their second time around....so many changes. So many insecurities, miscommunication but no loss of love.
Lanisha Humbert
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a tear jerker....

This book had me feeling so many emotions I couldn't write a review after reading it. Now that some time has passed I can say it was well written, I was laughing out loud and really feeling everything Layla was going through. Then waiting for that pivotal moment when her character shines. I felt kind of blindsided at the end because she overcame the fact that she couldn't have children, then let the love 💘 of her life go because she couldn't give him a child and didn'
Carolyn J.
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart was filled

Danielle Allen...... My goodness, this story had so many moments of intelligent dialogue and just heartfelt words. I won't say to much because I don't want to give away the storyline. Layla was the superhero girlfriend and William made my heart swell with his abiding love for Layla.... I loved this story immensely.
Brandi
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so.....for those of you who have read this book, you'll know exactly what that means.

I wanted to stop reading this book so many times because of Layla's emotions and Will being so clueless. But, Lort! What a book. I can't say much other than this is an emotional rollercoaster. Completely rung me out.
Deirdre Davis
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Broken Clocks

I don't know where to start with this review. Layla and William were everything when they could get past unexpected and expected issues. This book definitely makes you think differently about how you live and love. Beautiful story!
Joneen Walker
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh My God!!!

I don’t even know where to start... I laughed. I cried. I got pissed off. I even had to fan myself a few times when the pages started heating up. To say this was an emotional roller coaster is an understatement. I have read very few books that have left me wanting more. This is definitely one of the best I’ve read in a long time! Definitely Recommended!!!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Diversity in Romance Advocate.
Life Coach.

XOXO
More about Danielle Allen...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me