Start by marking “The Whites of Their Eyes: A Collection of Queer Horror” as Want to Read:
The Whites of Their Eyes: A Collection of Queer Horror

The Whites of Their Eyes: A Collection of Queer Horror

There are no happy endings here.

In the town of Inverse, Silvino and Scott Orellano discover the darkness in their deepest hearts. At the cusp of a new life, Kane Orwell learns terrible truths whispered by a black and eldritch mouth. Torn between one identity and another, Shania Logan struggles to hold on to the fragments of her self.

And standing on the threshold of the aft
ebook
Published October 28th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Whites of Their Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whites of Their Eyes

Start your review of The Whites of Their Eyes: A Collection of Queer Horror
Nicola
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Every now and again I’ll wander off the romantic path, and on this occasion I’ll happily admit to being rather proud of myself because The Whites of Their Eyes is horror. And me plus anything horror related equals:

description

Oh the things you’ll put yourself through when it’s a favourite author.

description

Xen is an author who writes diverse stories which, irrespective of genre, focusses on the real struggles marginalised people face. And his foray into the world of horror gave me chills: his writing voice has a hypno
Rafa Brewster
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Full review to come after I collect myself, light some sage and say a few prayers.

My Review:

I don't remember the last time I read horror, but after getting an early glimpse of Inverse courtesy of the author, I was definitely excited for more. The Whites of Their Eyes (a total of four novellas and short stories) did not disappoint.

Inverse and Mouth were the lengthier of the four, which the author shamelessly used to his advantage to lure us into his characters' worlds and make us fall
Devann
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
actual rating: 3.5

I love me some queer horror stories! There are four stories in this book. Two of them are very short, probably taking up about 10% of the page space, and the other two are both longer and about the same length so I would say about 45% of the page space each for those. The reason this gets a 3.5 rounded up is because I would have liked to see a more uniform story length. The two shorter stories were definitely not as rounded out as the longer ones, although I did appreciate that
M
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I don't DO horror. Generally, and on principle. Im a scaredy cat and a wuss, and I have to be in a very special mood to even think about picking up a book in this genre.

And then along came The Whites of Their Eyes. It's by Xen Sanders, soooo of course I had to read it. It's no secret I'm a huge fan of his words.

And y'all. These stories. These stories. They flayed me alive and had me weeping while shitting my pants. Metaphorically speaking - let's not get too gross. My point is, I l
S.A. Crow
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The writing is beautiful and made me linger over images - but the stories are so terrifying I had to keep putting it down and giving myself space in between the scenes (not just stories) to breath. No skimming with this book, I had to slowly read and take in every single horrifying moment (though the last story is more bittersweet and piercing than terrifying). I'm not a usual fan of reading horror but after this I may attempt more. And am working my way through his whole catalog.
Pam Faste aka Peejakers
This was some strong stuff, most of it quite intense, packing a powerfully visceral and psychological punch. Seriously, it was the stuff of nightmares.

But it was also just incredibly good, very moving and so well written.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but I guess one was Mouth, because I loved the relationship between Kane and Michio, even though that made the horror aspects of the story even harder to take.

Mouth also contains these words, which so struck me with their feeling of familiarity; it
D.L. Wainright
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's so much I could say about this. I loved the writing style, and felt it carried the narrative flow smoothly. There were definitely some creepy moments, which is always the goal with horror. And, to be honest, I loved the fresh feel that having queer protagonists brought to the table.

There's a certain tension that we experience in our daily lives that cis het people don't, which grows or dims depending on certain environments and situations. This book captured that, wove it into the horro
Derreck
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I've ever read anything by Xen Sanders, and I can't say I feel any disappointment. There were certainly a number of moments that gave me a chill through these 4 very different short stories of horror. I don't want to give away too much, but I do favor 'Inverse' the most. That has given me visuals that'll take me days to rid myself of. 'Insurrection' I wish could've been a little longer, but when I set back to look at it, it just works. 'Mouth' was probably my least favorit ...more
Tarah
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't do horror.

No... really. I don't do scary things. I believe most trailers for scary movies/shows are too much for cable television. I live on Disney. Not things that go bump in the night.

When I learned the final story, Flicker, would be something I could handle I was nervous and excited.

It broke me and moved me. Full of distress and sweetness and sorrow and hope. I wanted more of the story. Of their story. Because even in this short piece of writing, the characters are larger than life.
Terri Jones
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's been awhile, years, since I ventured into horror short stories. I'm acquainted with Sanders's work, which you'd think would be encouraging. And it is! Technically. Just, he writes on a visceral level. His romances dig deep into characters and reveal what many authors gloss over, and that challenges me, sometimes in unexpected ways. I like that. (Right after I stop cursing and using up tissues.)

So, take that ability to challenge, remove the HEA, and crank the 'oh crap' knob to 11, and there
Gabriel Vidrine
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So good! Oh how I loved the characters in all the stories, and how varied and interesting they were. Excellent horror, just the right amount of creepy (I'm super hard to scare, so it rates at creepy for me, but I also write/dream/perform/live horror too lol) with diverse characters.
Caro C. Smith
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastically suspenseful short stories. Inverse in particular stayed with me long after I read it. If you're looking for queer-inclusive stories that will keep rattling around in your head, this is the collection for you.
Shannon
It didn’t really take me that long to read it. I think I opened it accidentally on my Kindle and it marked it as currently reading.

It’s more psychological horror than zombies and vampire horror.
Lisa
Apr 20, 2018
Juha Heikkilä
Nov 14, 2018
Xen. Xen.
Oct 27, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mineminemine
Tex Reader
Feb 05, 2018

• Marrying My Billionaire Boss
  • The Cowboy's Heir
  • Taboo Cowboy (Rainbow Canyons Cowboys #2)
  • Steel Rose (The Cardinal Winds #1)
  • Perfection
  • Cherished Mate (Cybermates, #1)
  • Dark Russian Angel
  • Blood & Holy Water (Angels of Sojourn, #1)
  • Semiramis Awakened (Semiramis #1)
  • Dreikx (Hordesmen #5)
  • Sidone (Hordesmen, #3)
  • Fever (Hordesmen #4)
  • Terror (Hordesmen, #2)
  • Junk Shop Blues (Criminal Intentions: Season One #2)
  • Noble
  • Redemption's Ride
  • The Well
  • The Education of Ryan Gregori
Slender. Angry. (Part) Asian.

Yeah, that about sums me up.

Hi. I’m Xen. Cole. Whatever you want to call me; both are true, and both are lies. My pen names are multitudes, my nicknames legion. Tall, bi/queer, introverted author of a brown-ish persuasion made up of various flavors of Black, Asian, and Native American. I’m cuter than Hello Kitty, more bitter than the blackest coffee, and able to trip o

News & Interviews