Start by marking “Icarus” as Want to Read:
Icarus

Icarus

A myth as old as civilization.
The boy who donned wax wings and flew too close to the sun. Follow the tale of Icarus. And that of the father who tried to save him ... but brought his life to an end.
You will come to love him. Then you will watch him fall. Live the tragic story as you never imagined possible.
ebook
Published October 25th 2017 by Adam Wing

To ask other readers questions about Icarus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icarus

Start your review of Icarus
Chase Connor
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lot of us know the story of Daedalus and Icarus and know the tragic ending of the Greek myth. When I purchased this book on Kindle, since it had been recommended to me, I thought that I was going to read a fun retelling of the story of the myth of Icarus. I love Greek mythology, so it seemed like this would be perfect for me. And it was perfect, but it was so much more.

How does a writer take a story that many people are familiar with, know to expect a tragic ending, but still rip the readers'
Michael McLellan
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an exceptionally well-written piece with prose so smooth and flowing it feels as if the writing of it required no effort at all from the author.

It was mid-afternoon and the sun hammered down on them like an open flame. Beyond the stony hills and sharp ridges of the coast below, where armies of reflected light made shimmering displays of war on the sapphire fields of the Aegean, Daedalus almost thought he could see fingers of steam curling up off of the horizon...

Adam Wing's Icarus is a
Adam Wing
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this. But I still think it's really good!
Cynical J
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book, fabulous tale amazingly written, great writer
Laurenthelas
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been told that my first review was "too much", haha.

So to clarify: I really enjoyed this book, and I highly recommend it to all of you lovers of ancient worlds, teen angst, the struggles of brilliant men, ravenous tyrants, mythical monsters, and above all, great writing.

Cheers, Mr. Wing!
Eliott Griffen
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, favorites
Everyone knew Ik was a moron.

Truth?
Lie?
Deception?
All the above?

If you are interested in this book, I’ll take a wild guess and say you are somewhatfamiliar with the myth of Icarus.
I live next door to Greece. We share a lot of history and our religion, and being practically a family all their myths are my own. So to say I was apprehensive going in would be an understatement. Now I see there was no need for that. I’ll borrow the author’s words and say that this is not re-imagining, but the
Marion Blackwood
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love ancient Greece and this was a great retelling of the classical story of Icarus! I am one of those people who cry (a lot!) when sad things happen to characters I care about and since we all know how the classical story of Icarus ends, I tried my very best to not get so attached to Ik (Icarus) in this novel. But it was impossible! Wing has managed to create such a real character - real person - that I became very attached to Ik despite my best efforts to not get so emotionally attached. And ...more
Helen Whistberry
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recent-lit
Powerful and poetic reimagining of the Icarus myth. I'm not familiar with all the details of the original story, just the broad strokes that most people remember, and enough to know this tale was unlikely to have a happy ending, but I really appreciated this imaginative take that brought the stuff of legend down to a very human and relatable level. Exploring both the viewpoints of Icarus and his father, Daedalus, the author speculates on the motivations and events that might have brought them to ...more
That's So Poe
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This is such a powerful retelling of the Icarus myth with a focus on the internal motivations of Icarus and his fraught relationship with his father, Daedalus. In a brutal world where life is cheap and the only way Daedalus knows how to keep is son alive is through demanding complete obedience and heaping emotional and physical abuse on Icarus in the face of any defiance, Icarus struggles to find himself and understand the world around him through his isolation. His budding friendship with ...more
Diana
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Icarus, Wing's first novel, is a breathtaking and exciting adventure. The main character, Ik, is incredibly innovative, quick-minded, and endlessly curious about the world. The unfolding of his desires and pursuits throughout the book keep the momentum high and Wing's writing always entices the reader to read on. His words illustrate so well, leaving the reader the sense that they are in fact exploring the landscapes of Crete. I loved the suspense of the plot line, and I really appreciated Ik's ...more
LadyDay
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this page turner book.

Icarus is a well-written and moving story filled with adventure, emotion, and humility. You can get lost in Wing’s poetic writing and superbimagination.Wing retells this old tale in a way that the characters' joy, fear and sorrow becomes yours. I couldn’t believe the author’s ability toprovokeso many emotions in me as I read through the chapters.I also highlighted many passages in the book and thought about them throughout the day.

If you likewell-written
Amy Shannon
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A new spin on an old myth

Wing's Icarus is one of those stories that you feel needed to be told. I am a fan of mythology and Icarus is one of stories that always stands out in my mind. This story told by Wing brings it to a new level, a new dimension of storytelling. Wing pens a remarkable story, and what once seemed like an old myth is a wonderful fantasy. This is the first of Wing's work that I've read, but I look forward to reading more by this author.
Kirsten Davidson
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Icarus took one of my least favourite Greek myths and managed to change my opinion on it. The characters are so beautifully thought out and realistic that even though I already knew how the myth ends, I loved the character of Ik so much I found myself hoping it would change. This was definitely one of the best books I read all year.
Catherine Bowser
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a brilliant spin on an old myth. There is excellent world building that truly grounds the reader in Ancient Greece. Most importantly, we come to know Icarus and his father. It creates a humanistic angle to this old tale and my heart aches for it.
If you love a good myth retelling and characters you come to love, give this story a read. You won’t be disappointed!
Kimberly
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Icarus by Adam Wing is an incredible read! The writing is outstanding and the imagery is so alive and powerful that it continues to live with me. I am in awe of this book and I will be thinking about it for a long time! I loved it and I highly recommend it!!
Melisa
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of Ancient Greek Mythology, then you'll love this book. It's the retelling of the story Icarus. Wing made me feel like I was in Crete exploring the landscape. The story is well written, and centers on the stressful relationship between Icarus and his father, Daedalus.
Brent Thomas
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two important things:
1) I am a friend of the author.
2) In general, I’m not attracted to retellings.

With those out of the way, this is a great debut work. The world of our main characters is beautifully realized, as are their motivations.

I loved Wing’s use of setting and his ability in expanding the classic story we all know and giving it new life that makes it all the more heartbreaking.
Isaac Grisham
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I refrained from pulling my old mythology books off the shelf to refresh my memory of the story of Icarus before reading Adam's Wing's take. That was the best approach, as Wing's Icarus provides enough of the story's pillars (King Minos, the Labyrinth, Daedalus' inventions) to bring forth those memories while creating entirely new ones.

We already know the ultimate fate of Icarus, and that it involves a healthy dose of hubris. Never before have we come to know the character so well, though. The
Travis Beaudoin
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book.

If you're reading this review, you probably already know the myth of Icarus and Daedelus. Don't let that stop you from reading this book.

Adam Wing says in his introduction that he wanted to "tell a human story." He's succeeded. You may know the skeleton of the story you'll find here, but he's fleshed it out in some beautiful, surprising ways.

My favorite stories are the ones in which I can pull for all the major characters. My heart ached for Icarus, Daedalus, and (the
Shannon
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I debated hiding this review because of spoilers, but all I'm spoiling is the basic plot points of the Icarus myth, and it is absolutely crucial to know those before reading this book. Wing takes the challenge of writing a book that your readers already know the ending to and completely turns it on its head, using his readers' foreknowledge to make the story hit even harder than it otherwise would. We all know that this story doesn't have a happy ending, and yet somehow Wing makes you think that ...more
Krystal Summerhill
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh man my heart hurts. I knew how the story of Icarus ended but every time I always hope it ends differently. But then the fall starts and everything just hurts

This one hurt. It hurt in good ways and it hurt in bad ways and then it was just downright devastating.

But I loved it all the same because even when you know how it all ends, if the writing is good enough then it still feels different. And this version was exactly that
Sue
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Icarus is a page-turner! I thoroughly enjoyed this well-researched and well-written book.
Juanita De Vittorio
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rich with themes to be explored!
Rachel Sandell
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a beautifully tragic story! The description is uniquely vivid, and the characters' motivations are understandable, making both Daedelus and Icarus sympathetic. It's clear that Adam Wing is well-versed in the original Greek myths, and the way they are used as inspiration helps to create an entirely new experience. If you love Greek myth, this is a must-read!
Lamar

• A Surplus of Light
  • Bully
  • His Boy
  • Love in The End
  • For the Love of Logan (Just a Dumb Surfer Dude, #2)
  • Jacob Michaels Is Not Jacob Michaels (Point Worth #3)
  • Just a Dumb Surfer Dude (Just a Dumb Surfer Dude, #1)
  • The Gravity of Nothing
  • The End of Echoes
  • Jacob Michaels Is Tired (Point Worth #1)
  • Jacob Michaels Is Not Crazy (Point Worth #2)
  • Jacob Michaels Is Trouble (Point Worth #5)
  • Addiction
  • Alone In The Light
  • Forged in the Storm (Anthology of Resuoh, #1)
  • Bits & Pieces
  • Jacob Michaels Is Not Here (Point Worth #4)
  • Nocturnal Blood