Start by marking “Dagboek van een getuige” as Want to Read:
Dagboek van een getuige

Dagboek van een getuige

Na het verpletterende – en megasuccesvolle – boek Judas, komt Astrid Holleeder nu met een verrassend intieme opvolger: Dagboek van een getuige.

Waar Judas het verhaal is over de beslissing om te getuigen tegen haar broer Willem Holleeder, gaat Dagboek van een getuige over de consequenties van die ingrijpende beslissing. Wat zijn de gevolgen geweest voor het leven van de fam
Published November 2017 by Lebowski (first published November 4th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Dagboek van een getuige, please sign up.

Jeanette
2.5 stars rounded up for the voice to document all that chaos and abuse. And homicide.

The Wim, Sonja, Astrid childhood was 4.5 star- that emotionally depicted minutia of constant and eventual terrorism coupled with physical violence is the germination of many a monster. Its "escaping" evasion factors of habit within a child's mind and understanding to "parent" completely hit the marks of real.

But the last half of the book was always so much more of the same that it become difficult to continue
Marcella
Judas chronicles Astrid's story of her childhood, her family and how her brother grew into the thing that she and her family feared the most.

Continue reading at: www.booksandmacchiatos.com
Anthony Ferner
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutch-fiction
Judas: een familiekroniek by Astrid Holleeder is a remarkable book. It is a very detailed and gripping first-hand account of life in a highly dysfunctional Dutch criminal amily. What makes it gripping is not so much the depiction of a career criminal milieu, though that in itself is fascinating. The value of the book for me is in its harrowing and utterly convincing portrait of two deeply oppressive men, Astrid's father and, above all, Astrid's brother, the notorious Dutch gangster, Wim Holleede ...more
Claire
This story gives you insight in the way organised crime works. The author Astrid testified against her brother Willem, one of the masterbrains of the Dutch underworld and responsable for the famous Heineken abduction as well as the liquidation of friends and family.
It is by no means great literature, but it got me hooked up cause it is a fascinating story on family, love and betrayal. The author, her sister and their friend deserve a lot of credit because of having found the courage to choose f
❤Marie Gentilcore
This was a fascinating book about Dutch criminal Willem Holleeder and what it was like growing up as his sister. Astrid Holleeder was the youngest and she shares her experience growing up with a volatile father and a docile mother, her criminal brother, the Heineken kidnapping. extortion, contract killings, and more. I could feel the conflict Astrid experienced because on one hand her brother was a tyrant but on the other he was family and the good memories were mixed in with the bad. A very goo ...more
Florence
Aug 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by Astrid Holleeder's story which was recently featured in the New Yorker. She testified against her brother, Willem, in a murder case in the Netherlands. Now he wants to kill her and she is a prisoner in her own home. Miss Holleeder was brave to testify in court, but apparently, not brave enough to provide any credible details about the crime scene in her country (as a criminal lawyer, she would have insider knowledge.) She grew up with an abusive father, she tells us , but the ...more
Sam & Isabelle (CapuletReads)
I had previously read about Astrid Holleeder in an article of The New Yorker. Immediately, I was intrigued by the story of a sister choosing to betray her brother, a notorious crime boss, and the danger she lives in. It was very clear that because of her choice, Astrid Holleeder lived every moment in fear she will be killed in retaliation of her betrayal.

After I read the article I knew I had to know more. About Astrid Holleeder, her brother, and more specifically, her journey to choose to testi
Francielli Camargo
I finally realized why this book was so popular in The Netherlands, even though everybody here already knows the story. It keeps you fixed till the end. And the story of Astrid Holleeder (and everybody that is connected with Wim) is sad, to say the least.

I just think they could have done a better job at editing the chronological and back and forth parts of the book. It was confusing at times. The translation could also have been done better, even with the quite simple language used in it.

3 stars
Megin
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
You just gotta know all of it? So it reads easy. Even though it's not written that well. I feel sorry for her. For them. What crazy shit people get in their lives. Though i don't truly believe she is as easygoing as she wants to portray?
Valkyrie Franco
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feel like it would have been my fate in the future with my own family member but in a way I was saved by sad fate.

Very much enjoyed this book and a look into something a know little of. Especially a type of book I generally do not go for.
Mel
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is a must read in my opinion, however, I'm not sure if it's published in other languages too? it's originally dutch so I don't know if it's also in English but if it is you should definitely read it, I've read it in 9 days and it's quite a big book, it's about a crime family/ case that was and still is really famous here so I loved reading it and seeing everything from the family's point of view. and if it was possible I'd rate this book far more than 5 out of 5 stars
Kelly
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feels a little unfortunate that this is my 52nd book of the year (CHALLENGE MET WOO!), and I finished it on Christmas, and...it’s a true story about some psychotic jerk terrorizing his family.

Happy holidays, amirite?

Astrid Holleeder is the younger sister of Willem (Wim) Holleeder. Not being from the Netherlands I had never heard of him, but it sounds like he ran around in a criminal network not unlike the Italian mafia. Astrid paints him as charismatic but cruel to those who knew him intimately
carol johnson
It may in part be the fact that the book is translated from Dutch. Or just "very Dutch." Or, that the author is not a writer by profession. But, it is not a good read. I basically knew the "plot" going in, and the ending more or less, but, it took a long, repetitive time to get there. And though I have never recorded conversations with my brother with the intent of turning him in to legal authorities, neither is my brother a psychopathic killer or a stalker, a really, truly terrible person, some ...more
Milo King
True story of a Dutch family whose oldest sibling becomes a famous criminal. The youngest sister becomes a lawyer, trying to do some good while still maintaining a relationship with her sociopathic brother. All relationships in the extended family are based on fear of the the brother. Only in her 50s is the author able to risk almost certain retaliation and death by testifying against this criminal mastermind who has had many people murdered, including his own brother-in-law. The book starts by ...more
Roger Swindells
Having followed the career, crimes and trials of Wim Holleeder in the Dutch press for many years I was so looking forward to this book. Sadly I was extremely disappointed. It crawled along for 400 pages telling a story which could easily have been covered in 200 listing every time Holleeder rang and met his sister and every 'gun' gesture. I am still trying to work out if the early life of the Holleeder children under their drunken violent father was described at length to illustrate the reason f ...more
Ray Akerboom
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Yes, it is her side of the story. And ofcourse she has done nothing wrong. Whys should she incriminate herself? Yet, somehow I do believe most of what she tells us in this book. More interesting is ofcourse, what the writer does not tell us about herself or the enviroment, the 'milieu' of the Amsterdam crimescene. What were her benefitts, did they weigh up against the fear of being victimized herself, why did she turn eventually? But still it remains a most remarkable book about one person and o ...more
Evert Jan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
It looks like if this second book of Astrid Holleeder was written out of a financial thought.
OK, if all this is actual true, I sympathize with Astrid and I absolutely do understand the reason why she wrote this sequel.
She expose the bureaucracy of the Dutch justice department and the way how the civil servants must act just of be course of that. To catch a thief is one thing, but to get the criminal convicted is an other thing.
'Dagboek van een getuige' does not read that easy as the first book
Breeze
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, crime, memoir
I give this a 4 minus star. Manipulative, cunning, charming, dangerous, duplicitous, threatening, liar, double crosser.....sound like anyone in the US? Some of the tactics Astrid Holleeder's brother, Willem, uses to maintain control of all those around him, sounds like our current president. The author/sister, Astrid Holleeder uses these same tactics to send her brother to prison for life.

There were some problems with reading this narrative which shifted temporally between the past and the pres
Jennifer Sanchez
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook version of the book, and I must say, it was great. The narrator, Naomi Frederick did a fantastic job, and her accent is so nice, it’s like it added more to the actual book. Overall, this entire book had my head spinning. I can’t believe that the innocent members of the Holleeder family had to endure so much injustice, stress, and cruelty from fellow family members and even the justice system. Hats off to the women of this family who didn’t murder the terrible men of t ...more
Kristin
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine The Sopranos meets The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in Astrid Holleeder’s memoir, Judas, the shockingly sensational and suspenseful story of the taking down of her brutal bully of a brother, Wim. Known as The Nose, Wim ruled the Amsterdam underworld with an iron fist, killing anyone standing in his way. Including his own family. Until he threatened the wrong woman. Determined to bring his reign to an end, Astrid, who is currently in hiding, rigged up a wire tap and went to work. Will Astr ...more
Evert Jan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This chronicle gives you a insight in how things can go wrong in the life of a clever young man if the parenthood isn't optimal.
When I read this book I counted my blessing regarding my youth.
Also the way of life of a criminal and the effect of it to his family is stunning! Although I do realize that this book is a one-way story, you automatically choose side of the author.
It was nice and easy to read
Erin Rouleau
The writing wasn’t great, but I found myself strangely enthralled in the way she put certain things in words. I related to a lot of the feelings of being taken hostage by a larger than life member of one’s family and she had some straightforward wisdom associated with that kind of complicated relationship where you love your abuser so profoundly all while trying to get out alive.
Connor
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't get confused by the Dutch. I read the English translated version. I had no idea about any of this happening in the Netherlands, but I was amazed at what I read. This book chronicles the family story of the Holleeders, a family who produced a Dutch criminal mastermind. This is the memoir of the sister of the mastermind. A great book for lovers of true crime and mystery!
Anita De
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was really surprised. Especially while I didn't realised how our Justice department works: they don't protect the innocent witnesses. While they pamper the criminal crown witnesses. Shame on you.
Astrid Holleeder takes you with her in her battle. You hope never to get in such a situation as she is in.
Dana
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fictie
A book that gives a clear insight into the life of Astrid Holleeder, from the moment she decides to become a witness to put her criminal brother behind bars. It becomes painfully obvious that the testimony against her brother makes a prisoner of her. Her life changes drastically and it is sad to see how much she has to sacrifice.
Mary
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Perhaps I'd have been more interested if I'd been from the Netherlands. I'd never heard of this family. While it was interesting to see how father and son created such dysfunctional family dynamics, and how two sisters dealt with it, I'd really rather have read it in a 20 page article.
Gunjan
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

Crime families are not at all like what you saw in godfather. This is a story of a criminal who was betrayed by his own sister. What drove her to do that is the pressing story.
Amar Pai
Her father and brother are both so horrible that it was hard to read this. Astrid is incredibly brave and strong. Thank god that bastard Wim is in jail. Hope he stays there forever. I tried to read her second book “Diary of a Witness,” but it doesn’t seem to have been translated to English.
Sharon Vollenga
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't really get into the book. The story was told in a non-chronological order, so that was very frustrating for me. Also, I'm generally not really a fan of memoirs, but I wanted to give this one a try.
Monika
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First, this story is weird. Other than the kidnapping I didn't really understand what this life of crime was. I also didn't understand anyone's behaviour.
Second, I don't know if it's poorly written or poorly translated. The language used is odd and awkward.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Universele Reisgids voor Moeilijke Landen
  • Paniek
  • Mevrouw mijn moeder
  • Gedichten van de broer van Roos
  • To Kill a Sorcerer (Immortal Montero, #1)
  • Het beste wat we hebben
  • De hemel boven Parijs
  • Lieveling
  • Antiglamour
  • Unpredictable Love (Shades of Love, TRUST Series #6)
  • Up (Paaz, #2)
  • The Shadow Files: A Limited Edition Collection of Supernatural Suspense Novels
  • Shattered Memories
Astrid Holleeder is a Dutch lawyer and author. She is a sister of criminal Willem Holleeder and together with her older sister and an ex-girlfriend of Willem she witnessed her brother in the Passage process.

In 2016 she published the book Judas, about the relationship with her brother Willem, his dominance over their family and the influence of his life in the criminal circuit on his immediate env
“Ik zou het ook van me af willen zetten. Maar ik weet niet hoe ik moet stoppen eraan te denken. Hoe doe je dat dan?'
'Nou As, wist je dat er elke dag twee mensen in het verkeer omkomen?'
'Nee.'
'Elke dag twee. Ik kan een van die twee zijn. Jij kan een van die twee zijn. We kunnen het zelfs allebei zijn. Maar ik denk nooit als ik het huis uit ga: misschien overlijd ik vandaag wel in het verkeer. Nooit. Jij wel?'
'Nee, nooit. Sta ik niet eens bij stil.'
'Dat komt omdat je ervan uitgaat dat het je niet overkomt. Het is een risico dat bij het leven hoort. En zo ga ik ook om met de dreiging van Wim. Anders heb ik geen leven meer.”
0 likes