Start by marking “A Call for Revolution” as Want to Read:
A Call for Revolution

A Call for Revolution

A rallying cry for the whole world, by one of the most respected leaders of our troubled times.

This eloquent, impassioned manifesto is possibly the most important message The Dalai Lama can give us about the future of our world. It's his rallying cry, full of solutions for our chaotic, aggressive, divided times: no less than a call for revolution.

Are we ready to hear it?

Ar
Published May 3rd 2018 by Rider

To ask other readers questions about A Call for Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Call for Revolution

Start your review of A Call for Revolution
Anne ✨
A message from HH The Dalai Lama for the youth of today (written in 2017). The book speaks to the dire situation in today's world, his vision for the future, and his rally cry for a Revolution of Compassion!

The Dalai Lama was quite frank in this discourse, offering opinions on everything from religion, to gender roles/feminism, to impact of eating meat. He also speaks quite a bit to the scientific research in human behavior and of the power of altruistic behavior to change the brain.

He speaks t
Andrew
A Call for Revolution, written by the Dalai Lama, is a manifesto for young people on ways to improve the world. Written in a positive tone, and couched with Buddhist influence and a calming perspective, this book is made primarily for the young in Western orientated nations. It calls on many principles already held dear in the west; environmental stewardship, women's rights, activism, loving-kindness, putting people before ideology, and avoiding violence in thought, or physically in warfare. Thi ...more
Ginger Stephens
I greatly admire the Dalai Lama and his way of teaching. While this book is a call to action for millenials, I believe that there is something that everyone can learn from it. However, I found it odd that the Dalai Lama refers to himself as a Marxist, as well as a student of the French Revolution. I could not quite comprehend why both the French Revolution and the Bolshevik Revolution were included as events that should be emulated to effect positive change in the world. Both revolutions eventua ...more
Anne
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw that HHDL wrote a new book I ordered it directly. The book is brilliantly written. He is speaking to the youngest generation of which I am not. His hope is that the young of the world will be more open minded than my generation and those who came before me so hopefully they learn to fix the world's problems by collaborating instead of setting up camps on opposite sides of the street. I hope he's right. The book should be required reading for high school/jr high students.
Kirsty
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I was born on this Earth, a child of life,
in the bosom of the cosmos.
The messages of the universe are incorporated
in my genetic codes. I am
connected with all living beings in our
shared reality of life.
I become aware of the fact that the wellbeing
of all living beings depends on
the balance of ecosystems, themselves
dependent on the peace in the hearts
of men, and the spirit of justice in human
societies where no one must be rejected,
disabled by hunger, poverty, and
destitution. In a spirit of equanimi
Parker
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a slim volume, but it contains a great message for our young people.

You ARE our future, and what that future will look like is in your hands. Will there be continuing wars, a ravaged Earth from continued climate change and pollution, people at each other's throats over political divisions or will humans br able to change things?
Brent
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all readers, especially students and young people
Recommended to Brent by: Woodruff Library, Emory University
This is a speech, a graduation speech, meant to inspire and energize another generation.
I'm eager to see the web references here: worthy stuff.
Recommended.
Rhiana
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This attention-grabbing book is a wonderful call to young people in shaping our future world. HH The Dalai Lama truly believes in the new generation to make a difference - a large and positive difference - in our world. With others busy talking about Millennials taking too many selfies and eating too many avocados, HH The Dalai Lama sees the potential and appreciates the ways the new and young generation looks at and lives life differently. Underlining his calls for compassion with facts, HH The ...more
Lisa Willinger
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Inner peace, love, and compassion are not only ways of expressing a noble ideal, but also of offering pragmatic solutions to issues we face in this new reality, as a means of guaranteeing our collective interests in the face of the loosening of social bonds, and the breakdown of social solidarity."

This was a quick read containing an inspiring call to action from the ever poignant Dalai Lama
AnnaG
Jun 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
The people of Tibet had not embraced capitalism by 1950, instead they lived in a feudal theocracy - I thoroughly recommend Seven Years in Tibet as a description of the terrible infant mortality and appalling living conditions that prevailed. As a consequence of failing to exploit their natural resources and build their economy, they did not have the military strength to fight against the Chinese invasion in 1950. Subsequently, they then lost their freedom to China and as traditionally happens to ...more
Katie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Self-centeredness closes doors, while altruism opens them.”
I try to read a book by the Dalai Lama every year. Admittedly, as this one is so short, there isn’t much substance compared to others, but I think it’s a good reminder about treating one another with compassion while also advocating for change. It reads very much like a farewell speech, but essentially the Dalai Lama is reaching out to millennials, imploring them to “be the solution finding generation.”

In 2019 America, it’s refreshing t
Lauren
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing and short sighted.

I’m best classified as one of those wishy-washy types who identify as spiritual, but I believe religion can have a useful place within society. It can also be enormously destructive. Same with science. From my limited view, a society needs both science and religion to thrive, and it’s about how religion and science are used that determines ‘good’ or ‘bad’ rather than a blanket pronouncement against either.

You can therefore imagine my surprise to find a book by the
Meghan Burke
The core message, of course, is terrific. I’m just nonplussed by uses of evolutionary psychology and (often related) essentialized notions about gender. Capitalism as a driving force of climate change and political turmoil was also untouched. But the emphasis on compassion and the necessary work of revolutions within?: ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Neeta Sirvi
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a beautifully addressed to the young generation of the world, this book calls for a revolution of compassion , for ourselves , for everyone around us.

This is very small book with great message to change our world for the betterment.

Worth reading !!
Jen Bojkov
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me wish I was about 30 years younger. I hope the next generation does a better job than mine has.
Butterfly
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-german
Lots of simple and deep truths, but not practical enough for me.
Udit Nair
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Dalai Lama puts forward his idea of revolution in terms of peace and compassion. The writing tries to give logical and practical rationale for being more compassionate and kind. The greatest strength of the book is that it is amongst those books which only talk about lofty ideals and don't elaborate on the essence of ideals in real life.
Tanya
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can you tell I was just in India again?
Shifa' Azham
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say this book resonates deep with my beliefs. That one day the young and my generation can and will change the course of history and mankind.

To know that I was never wrong, that I was never alone, and will never be alone in this revolution for human compassion made me even more adamant about living and being there for those in need.
Raymond Strodl
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revolution

This short book is essentially a manifesto for a revolution to end all revolutions, that is designed to change the world we live in for the better. It is a message to the young revolutionaries of the world which provides a practical template on how to be part of the solution. I have often wondered on what we need to actually do when answering the question posed by the late John Kennedy” Ask not what your country can do for you , but rather what you can do for your country”.

This book g
Roshni
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I read this amidst global pandemic - Corona.
Also an extract from the book -
“ By 2020 it will already be too late”
(Book A call for Revolution - The Dalai Lama,
written by Sofia Stril Rever)
and with that realised of how late I am.

HH Dalai Lama requests the young generation to take a compassionate path and make this world a better place - Care for each other, care for animals, care for the environment. The concerns raised are to the point and it is a Quick read.
The Book however fails to expl
Jim Thompson
This was alright. I've read other reviews. Some people were clearly deeply moved by this. I think that's awesome. I wasn't. It was alright.

This wasn't actually written by the Dalai Lama. It was written by someone who spent some time talking with him and then put his ideas into a very short book and wrote it more or less in his voice and he put his name on it. Which is okay. The Dalai Lama's a busy guy, and not a young guy, so that's okay, but, I don't know, I guess I don't love that. Can't criti
Charlotte Jones
*Disclaimer: I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have never ever thought to attempt to read something by the Dalai Lama but I thought I'd reach out of my comfort zone and I was surprised by how political this was. The ideas preached are ones that are not new to me but were expressed in such a concise and forgiving manner that it was not without hope.

The only issue I had with this while reading was the Dalai Lama's idea that if all of the world leaders
Rebecca
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, sweet, and worth the time of any young person who may or may not be hopeful for the future of our society and environment. The DL, as always, inspires and calls people to take action, and believe they have agency in improving our living conditions not just for the sake of ourselves, but for those who follow us. His idea is that a peaceful revolution can occur if one simply believes and does his or her small part: abstain from eating meat when you can, reduce your daily waste output, say h ...more
Anuj Chauhan
The Dalai Lama describes himself as the religious and secular leader of Tibet. While I wouldn't be able to critique his spiritual teachings, he makes a lot of sense as a world leader.
The reviews on Goodreads are divided on his opinion that religions have failed the world, and the need to go beyond religion. Nevertheless, the thought that it is possible to live without religion, coming from a religious leader is refreshing.
But then there are also sections, where phrases like 'quantum mechanics'
Misse Jones
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A message from HH The Dalai Lama about the future of the world and a call to action for young people, citing historic events as examples of when young people have changed the course of history.

This calling, is an appeal to breakdown the remaining “Walls of Shame, not the least of those that have been erected in our minds. Walls of selfishness, walls of nationalist pride, of the cult of individualism, of pride and greed.

HH The Dalai Lama warns that for the first time in human history, your righ
Tommy O'Keefe
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s hard to review a book like this. It’s really a heartfelt letter to millennials from a spiritual leader, so critiquing it just feels like trying to judge the content of a letter from a parent to a child.

Though Buddhism and Christianity have many differences, the call for a “revolution of compassion” at the center of this book is something that ought to have universal resonance. I found myself stirred and heartened by the Dalai Lama’s optimistic, seemingly indomitable hope. His parting words
Tina
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, I'm completely floored by the simplicity of this message! A message which is intended for those much younger than myself, as the Dalai Lama specifically addresses all age 25 and under in the text.

Compassion is at the heart and is the focus of what the Dalai Lama calls the need for revolution. The message is strong - create a world of compassion in this century or humanity has no possibility of continued existence before the close of this century.

And, even if you as me are not the tar
Cody
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
Karissa
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Usually enjoy the Dalai Lama's call to peace but I was surprised by his confession of being a disciple of Karl Marx & the French Revolution. I just read Ginger Stephens review below and felt it was excellent, I mimic her thoughts. In contradiction to the Dalai Lama's thoughts, I feel that religion does have a place of hope for humanity, it is only the fanaticism that has created wars. He is pushing socialism which leads to communism and neither of those systems have worked or are compatible with ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Play Book Tag: A Call for Revolution by Dalai Lama XIV - 4 stars 2 17 Feb 24, 2019 01:36PM

• The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to  Enlightenment Illuminated
  • Tea and Cake with Demons: A Buddhist Guide to Feeling Worthy
  • Welcoming the Unwelcome: Wholehearted Living in a Brokenhearted World
  • The Tao of Happiness
  • The Circle of Fire: Inspiration and Guided Meditations for Living in Love and Happiness
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • The Circle of Karma
  • It’s All Good: Ändere deine Perspektive und du änderst deine Welt
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Yoga, Jesus och jag
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • Motor City Shakedown (Bright and Fletcher, #1)
  • Chuang Tsu: Inner Chapters
  • The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience
  • The Secret of the Ages
  • The Secret Lives of Dogs: The Real Reasons Behind 52 Mysterious Canine Behaviors
  • Idiot's Guides: Zen Living
  • Yoga Mind: Journey Beyond the Physical, 30 Days to Enhance your Practice and Revolutionize Your Life From the Inside Out
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...