Start by marking “Look at Me” as Want to Read:
Look at Me

Look at Me

Katharina’s husband isn’t coming home for the weekend—again—so she’s on her own. When their chaotic daughter Helli has a nosebleed, Kat has to dash off to school to pick her up.

Then their son, Alex, announces he’s bringing his new girlfriend home for the first time. Kat’s best friend from college is coming around tonight too, and she’s wondering if she should try to seduc
Published February 26th 2018 by Text Publishing (first published August 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Look at Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look at Me

Start your review of Look at Me
Sherri Thacker
Look At Me was not a book I enjoyed. I could not connect with the characters as much I tried to. Maybe because it was translated into English from German, it lost some words? I just don’t know. I received this book from the publisher through NetGalley for my honest review.
Karen ⊰✿
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
There was possibly something lost in translation as I really didn't engage with this novel.
The premise is simple enough - mother of 2 with a husband who works away and only comes home every weekend - is busy and stressed and then finds a lump in her breast.
The book doesn't dwell on her health and isn't morbid or sad. It just really didn't excite much emotion at all. I found the main character to not be very likeable, and most of her family and friends were all a bit strange too. The writing styl
Marianne
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Look At Me is the fourth novel by award-winning German author Marieke Krugel and the first to be translated into English. It’s Friday, and Katharina Theodoroulakis is really not having a good day. Her husband Costas won’t be home from Berlin for their usual weekend of arguments and making up because of a work do he must attend. Kat could go, but her former flatmate from Uni happens to have a music gig in town, so he'll visit. That means making up the spare room and collecting him from the statio ...more
Lolly K Dandeneau
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
'She got concussions and cuts and extensive grazing, was bitten by dogs and swans, and managed, with the assurance of a sleepwalker, to find the rotten branch in every tree she climbed.'

Katharina has discovered a lump in her breast, but she doesn’t have time nor the desire to ponder what it means, particularly the haunting possibility of her death. What would her husband Costas, son Alex and daughter Helli do without her? The novel begins with K
Moony MeowPoff
Sep 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF 24%
I could'nt connect with the characters, most of the time i was just confused and bored.
Those two are sadly a very bad combo. This book wasn't for me.
Text Publishing
'With a heroine so well-realised she feels like a friend, and piercingly true ruminations on the strange courses that life can take, Look At Me is a wildly impressive English-language debut.’
Culturally

‘An enjoyable and thought provoking read.’
MindFood

‘Kat and her family are deeply flawed but likeable characters; you want to cheer them on...A good read, suitable for long, dark evenings.’
Otago Daily Times

‘Definitely one of those “read in one sitting”, “hard to put down” books.’
Nudge Books

‘For
Jaclyn Crupi
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Look at Me wasn’t entirely for me. I enjoyed its feminism but was always aware that I was reading a book in translation. The language is pretty laboured and I found myself begging for a beautiful sentence.
Andrea
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

Every once in a while I come across a book like this one which actually has respect for my poor heart. A book which I can just lie back in bed coffee cup on the other hand and just relax. Unlike the books I read which are so fast paced my heart races in tune with my vivid imagination this book had me relaxed.

I could actually focus on every word I was reading. The whole book is centered around Katharina our main character. She is a wife to Costas, who is only home during the weekends an
Mary
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an ARC copy from Net Galley. I appreciate Net Galley for being able to do this sort of thing. But I was not able to find a copy of the book on Goodreads.

This was a very different story than I usually read.

First of all I spend all my time on Mysteries and Cozy Mysteries. This story was so far removed from my norm that I really do not know how to evaluate the book. I do not think that I would buy the book for myself or someone else.

It told the story of a family in Germany with an austis
Kirsty
I wanted to theme all of my reading to books set in Germany whilst in Munich and Salzburg, and selected Mareike Krugel's Look at Me as the first of my choices. It sounded really intriguing, particularly as I so enjoy sagas about dysfunctional families. I found that there were some really interesting elements to the novel, but it did not come together as well as it could have; everything seemed quite rushed toward the end. I did like the diurnal structure here, and would be interested in reading ...more
Marcela Deras
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark humor. I loved it. Really German all the way!

Nothing really happens, but at the same time everything is going on with Katharina.

We go through her life with humor and sometimes sad moments but at the end it is just life.

I definitely see myself reading something by Mareike Krügel again. Translated of course but still.
Tee Wai
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read full review here: biblichor.com
Prachi Pati
I was lucky to get a copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange of an honest review. And I just loved this book! I can't even begin to describe this book and the story, but what I liked so much about the book, were the thoughts the main protagonist and narrator- Katharine, during the course of the events of a single day! I would call it a tragic comedy. As you read about all the mishaps in the narrator's life- from her past, to the events of this day and what is coming for her in her future, ...more
Sharon
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
One of my reading goals this year was to pick up more works in translation, so when I won a copy of Look at Me, translated from German by Imogen Taylor, from Text Publishing, I moved it to the top of the pile. The story follows the life of mother Katharina across the course of a very challenging day, questioning her sense of self, the role of women and the ridiculousness of life. There’s a great balance between serious issues and humour, but the writing did feel stilted and a bit awkward. There ...more
trisha
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I went through a roller coaster of emotions reading this book. There are moments of such wonderful dark humour that I was chuckling to myself. Katharina's descriptions of her daughter's ADHD were heartbreakingly accurate. Her relationship with Costas, her husband was puzzling while the effects of her mother's death were clearly felt. I wasn't that keen on the ridiculous scene as an ending. Katharina and her 'thing' on her breast deserved more than that. I liked the pace of the book. It was a goo ...more
Jul 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book, because for the first few pages I enjoyed the style of writing, but it just didn't work for me. As the book went on the writing (or maybe the translation) became clunky - again, I wanted to get behind a book that claimed to be putting forward a feminist argument, but the character came out with vast sections on why women's rights are important, but nothing she said or did around it seemed in keeping with this which made it feel tokenistic and tagged on. Examples inclu ...more
Jenny
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley. This will not effect my review of this book. Please visit my blog at thejwordpress.wordpress.com
Look at Me, a novel by Mareika Krugel explores the life of Katharine Theodoroulakis in a single Christmastide day.
The day begins with a trip to once again pick up her daughter, Helli, from school. The day ends with Katharina’s meltdown and rescue at her husband’s Christmas office party. During this 18 hour or so period there are sad, funny, strange and ju
Kim
Feb 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Look At Me is an appropriate title here because this book is all about the selfish me me me lead character. Her inner dialogue was appalling and I found nothing remotely likeable or relatable about this character at all. Even her children were terrible.

The most infuriating thing was that the lead character tried to convince the reader that she was doing everything for others, but really inside she was just oh so very selfish.

The writing was messy and the layout was confusing. The reader does n
Elena
Jan 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Amanda
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Look At Me is an Adult Women's Fiction novel by German author Mareike Krügel. I received a complimentary copy in exchange for my honest, unbiased opinion. Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley, for allowing me to review.

Mareike Krügel has written four novels, Look At Me is the first to be translated from German to English by Imogen Taylor. Told from the perspective of a mom named Katha, the story is about truths, mortality, marriage, motherhood, sexism, and gender roles.

Katha is a mu
Madame
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Look at me is a translated novel of an awarding winning author, It spans over the course of one day yet takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions ranging from dread to hysteria at the oddest moments, not only that, but it also manages to paints emotions and suffering in simplest words, making it so human. Reminding us of the universe of shared experiences, of everything we go through, this author can make simplest things so unbearable to think about and makes you smile at the stranges place you w ...more
Denisa
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
‘Look at Me’ is written as a snapshot in the protagonist’s life. The plot takes place over a day in Katharina’s life. More precisely, the plot IS a day in Katharina’s life. There is nothing too unusual about Kat. She is a married mother of 2, one of which has ADHD and challenges that come with this type of diagnosis. She is also a want-to-be musician who due to family commitments puts her professional life on hold on what seems to be an indefinite basis. She is a neighbour, she is a friend, she ...more
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
If I could give half stars this would be a 4.5 for me. I related to this chaotic day in the life of musicologist and mum who can't find a moment for herself amongst the dramas of her family, friends and neighbours. Some delightful characters populate her world. Gorgeously written (or probably more accurate to say translated in this instance). I was inspired by the list of 'days to relive'
to think of my own, which turned out to be a mix of being with friends and family in the outdoors (beaches)
Joan
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Jody
Nov 06, 2019 added it
I think if I were to read this in the original, I would like it. That's not to say I didn't like the translation, but more than I don't really have any feelings toward it.
I found that as I was reading this I could go through a few pages and not recall what I had read, but that I wasn't motivated to go back and connect to the story again. I was indifferent, which is sad because I really wanted to like this one.
I wanted to connect with the characters and connect with a discussion around where ou
Barbara
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this book through Goodreads via Text Publishing.

I enjoyed the story once I got into it, although Katharina really did have rather a stressful day! Adding to her stress was her constant need to write lists (weird), her daughter suffering with ADHD (an extreme case), her neighbour losing a thumb in her garden (strangely amusing), her tumble drier catching fire and then, once safely extinguished, becoming a bed for her two escaped rats, Pink and Floyd (cute names).
A story about unique fa
Almas Shamim
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have you ever had a really adventurous day? I'm sure you've had! "Look at Me" by Marieke Krugel is a book on one such days in the life of a pre school music teacher. A very simple yet endearing story of how life shapes up very differently from what we had imagined it would turn into. It's a story of human emotions, love, friendship, envy, feminism even.... .
The story was so simple that it would have turned boring, had I taken too many breaks while reading it. Thankfully I got time on a nice and
Sara Budarz
I don’t often give up on books, but I just can’t bring myself to keep reading this book. I had really wanted to read some current German lit, and this had gotten good reviews. But the plot is just so contrived and unbelievable that I cannot even try to care about what happens next in the plot. And so I quit. Because there are too many great and good and even just decent books to spend this many hours trying to tackle this one, no matter how cute the cover design is.
Elise
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was a slice-of-life kind of book with many flashbacks to give context and background. Katharina is a mum of two, a music teacher, the wife of architect Costas who has had to take a job in Berlin and only comes home at the weekend. This book is an eventful day in her life. It's funny at times and sad in others and captures the complexities of every life and relationships.
bee
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!!!!!!!!! What a book. I loved it. This is classic literary fiction, with a captivating premise and a satisfying conclusion. The translation worked well.

I wish I could say more about it, but I’m still processing it and I’m frankly in awe.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this for free in exchange for an honest review.
ACPL Online Book ...: Decisions, decisions 1 4 Dec 11, 2018 03:07PM

• Det lilla galleriet i solen
  • Välkommen till Flanagans (Flanagans, #1)
  • Ödesmark
  • Felsteg
  • Resten av allt är vårt
  • Goda grannar
  • Stormvarning
  • Sen for jag hem (Jana Kippo, #3)
  • Vi for upp med mor (Jana Kippo, #2)
  • Järtecken
  • Gå förlorad
  • Voksne mennesker
  • Dunkelgrün fast schwarz
  • Bokcirkeln vid världens ände
Mareike Krügel (born 1977 in Kiel) is a German author.